| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: No one's resurrected a DivaCup thread, yet?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

oh gawd i have the worst fishing out of a public toilet story...

i was in a public park that's only accessible by ferry, that was very busy with limited bathrooms. my first day is pretty heavy so i have to keep on top of emptying it every few hours or else its a disaster. i get in line for the bathroom, which has about 20 people and wraps around the building. ok. by the time i get in, everyone is pretty irate. i go in, begin to do my thing, (can't have been more than a minute, and i'm being generous) and as i'm trying to put it back in, people start kicking the door, telling me it's not a changeroom and literally yelling obscenities at me (because it was by a beach and the people in stalls adjacent to me were changing and taking too long, why they would kick the door of the person who just entered and sat on the can fully clothed is beyond me). anyways i was startled and dropped my cup in the toilet, the toilet that has been used nonstop all day. luckily, i caught it so quick it was maybe a quarter submerged. on top of that, i get blood all over my white shirt somehow. so i have to stuff my underwear with 1-ply tp, which enrages the woman kicking my door, since it takes longer than popping the cup back in. right, so i come out pissed and ready to fight, essentially, and when the woman that was kicking my door realized what a crasshole she was, she recoiled from me. i had to spend the rest of the day biking (because of course, it happens at the least convenient time) with napkins from our picnic in my undies, because we were stuck on this island with no stores.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:05 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Does anyone else ever feel like the DivaCup is really not as fabulously convenient as it's marketed to be? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love mine, and much prefer it both comfort wise and ecologically-friendly-wise to tampons, but I feel like there are times when having to deal with it is a nightmare compared to the convenience of tampons.

Like the situation that postnothing just described? Or when I was travelling a lot back and forth by train? The thought of having to empty a DivaCup in a cramped, dirty train bathroom, where half the time the sinks don't work... And now I'm working someplace where the bathroom is tiny and cramped and the only sink is in a publicly accessible area, so the idea of squatting in there and fighting with my cup and then having to come out and wash off my blood covered hands when any of my colleagues or customers can walk in is really unappealing. As much as I hate the thought of going back to tampons, I have done it when travelling and now I think I'll do it when I have to work during the heaviest days of my period.

But I feel like the way the DivaCup is marketed, it's actually supposed to be more convenient than tampons and great for travel. It kind of makes me feel like I'm doing it wrong. Anyone else feel like the convenience factor of the thing is overrated?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:53 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't think it's super convenient but i hate spending money on tampons/etc, so i put up with it. And i like it better than pads and tampons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

For me, it's incredibly convenient, because my flow is so light I never have to take it out during the day. Otherwise, nope. I've never seen it marketed as convenient though, only comfortable/healthy and environmentally sound.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:30 am 
Keepin' It Seal

There are definitely aspects of it that are super inconvenient like public restrooms where the water isn't running or sinks that are far away, but to me, that's outweighed by the convenience of never having to remember to bring tampons with me to the bathroom. I never carry a bag to the bathroom and my work clothes usually doesn't have pockets, so it always feels like I have a period sign over my head if I bring my backpack into the bathroom in the middle of the workday.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

oh man, i could blabber forever on inconvenience now that i have a long fall camping trip under my belt too. nothing like having to deal with a leaky, gushing cup at 4am, in the dark, in rain and then having to expose your bottom in that when it's like, 3 degrees. felt like i was just calling out to the bears to come attack me! but to be honest, any other option would have been equally inconvenient in other ways.

i like cups but i think maybe i need to branch out from diva cups? something a bit bigger than what they recommend for women like me (no birth, under 30) and stiffer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I think having a period is inconvenient no matter what product you're using! There's no perfect solution but menstrual cups are the closest thing for me. When I have to empty mine in a restroom with no sink I just wipe it clean with toilet paper, re-insert, then wipe my hands as clean as possible. I prefer it for traveling because it's so much easier to pack than a bunch of pads or tampons and I don't have to waste time shopping for menstrual products in a foreign country. (I once ended up with "scented" pads because the labels were in a language I didn't understand... ick!)

That said, I've never tried backpacking with the divacup, and I would be totally intimidated by that! but I also just dread the thought of backpacking while on my period... pathetically, this is part of the reason why I've never gone on an overnight backpacking trip. :/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

yeah it was pretty awful. if i ever do that again, i want some sort of comfortable weather/moonlight guarantee, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:07 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Yes. I used to use the Keeper, and really liked it for environmental reasons, but finally had to admit to myself that I just did not like using it. I think about going back to using it during lighter days, but that shiitake hurt to keep taking out and putting back in all the time, and, yeah, it's messier. I don't know if there's a significant difference between the Keeper and the Diva Cup.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:09 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i just bought a replacement! my original diva is like 5. i have a replacement lunette but it's not comfy so I was still using the diva sometimes. it's in the trash now, woooo.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So today I decided to suck it up and buy a diva cup.

I just turned 30 but decided to go with the first size after talking to the woman at the HFS. I'm really glad I did that because I can hardly get it in properly as it is.

There was some crying and frustration but I think it is in properly and it's not uncomfortable. The instructions say to turn it so it opens up all the way? HA! That's going to take some practice and fancy stretches, I can barely get my fingers and the cup in there. At least I don't have to worry about not being able to fish it out, it's got nowhere to go as it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:12 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

yay moon! It takes a little getting used to. The first couple periods for me were a bit awkward with taking out/putting in and it gets easier to figure out how to do what it says to as time passes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:18 am 

Yeah, I paid my dues at the beginning squatting on the bathroom floor trying to get the damned thing to pop open, but you get the hang of it eventually. I've learned that the trick (for me) is completely relaxing and getting the angle of insertion just right.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Really not sure if it has been a win or an epic fail. The cup worked well enough but by Sunday I was having some really weird irritation and I've left it out since because I'm basically done anyway. So now I can't decide if I have a super mild yeast infection, or if I'm irritated from the cup or if there's something else going on - what is left of my discharge is just.... Odd. Sometimes I do get irritation post period, though, so I dunno. I'm feeling a lot better today so I'm going to reevaluate tomorrow

A thought for next month - has anyone tried using it with lube? Is that going to be completely counterproductive?

ETA: sorry if that is way TMI.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

how often did you have to empty it? sometimes i feel like my experience is not typical, because i have a really light flow and i only have to empty mine once per day, but i definitely don't have any irritation with it (aside from the momentary discomfort of shoving it in or pulling it out, ha ha).

what fold are you using for insertion? i am a fan of the origami fold, which is the one that looks kind of like a rosebud. it goes it easiest for me using that fold, and it also pops open pretty well about 95% of the time.

http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/453392.html

oh, also! regarding size... i am 40 and i'm still using the smaller size, so definitely don't feel weird about that. everyone is different. i started out using the diva cup and it wasn't right for me at all (i practically had a panic attack trying to get it out, and was scared off menstrual cups almost forever), so i ended up switching to a different "shorter" cup (mooncup UK) and that was a muuuch easier road for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:15 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yeah, i'm still using my original size diva cup and it's fine. Vaginas are like snowflakes.

I've never needed lube, but I also don't think it would be weird to try. I fold mine in half, insert it, and pull down on the stem until it opens all the way and 'seals'.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I was doing the punch down fold, I tried the origami and it was just too big and uncomfortable, and the punch down seemed to pop back in to place better for me.

I only left it for the full 12 hours one time because I was out gardening, and definitely could have done that more often. I tried not to empty it too often knowing my level of sensitivity, but I really didn't know what to expect so I was probably emptying 4x most days (morning, before bed, 2x in between?). Next month I will definitely try lubing it up, especially in the morning.

Anyway, I bought some yeast infection stuff as my day got worse, and now I'm home icing my crotch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:20 pm 

The only time I need to empty mine more than once a day is on the first day, because I start off pretty heavy and then steadily peter off. I always empty it before bed since that's obviously the time when it's most likely to leak since you're laying down, and I always take it out in the shower to wash out.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:10 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I empty mine several times a day when it's really heavy because it gets full very quickly. When my flow is light (very rarely) I end up emptying it once a day.

I just turned 30 and a year or two ago, I switched up to a lager cup because it's so heavy that it leaks a lot with the diva cup. So now I use the biggest size MeLuna (the largest cup on the market) and it works so much better.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

Moon wrote:

A thought for next month - has anyone tried using it with lube? Is that going to be completely counterproductive?

ETA: sorry if that is way TMI.

I use lube to insert, makes no difference in how well it works. Just make sure you don't use silicone lube with a silicone cup! And I put it on myself, not the cup, or it gets too slippery to hold.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:08 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I really like my Diva Cup but I've had the problem twice now where I can't get it out. Like I am scrabbling around squatting in the bottom of my shower for five minutes, cussing up a streak. My cervix tends to move around a lot and some months it's great and super convenient, where other months it leaks all the time or it gets stuck. With problematic months I find it easier to just use a Soft Cup, which is not ideal because it's still disposable, but at least I can get away with using just one per cycle and they usually mean a lot less leakage than the Diva Cup.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:47 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

in the middle of moving, stopping for a WHAT DO I DO moment.

a picture of my future bathroom - a wall btwn the toilet and the sink! i'm already a mess, especially in the middle of the night.

SIGH.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:56 pm 

Take a square of TP to put under the cup so it doesn't drip, then shuffle to the sink. I had to do that at work because the sink was way more than arm's length from the toilet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:38 pm 

I've never had easy sink access (my old apartment in Amsterdam had a toilet in a cubicle, and the sink was all the way in my bedroom, and at work, the sink is outside the unisex stalls), so I just empty it in the toilet, and wipe it - and my hands - down with toilet paper. I wash the cup with warm soapy water in the morning and evening, but always thoroughly wipe off any blood first. Even now that I've got a sink right across from the toilet, I do this, otherwise I'll drip on the bath mat on the way to the sink. When I'm not going to wash it (like at work or in the middle of the night), I just wipe it down and reinsert.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:58 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

How often do y'all replace your cup? I just realized I've had mine for 2 and a half years! It seems to be in pretty good shape but I wonder if I should consider replacing it anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next