| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: No one's resurrected a DivaCup thread, yet?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

oh gawd i have the worst fishing out of a public toilet story...

i was in a public park that's only accessible by ferry, that was very busy with limited bathrooms. my first day is pretty heavy so i have to keep on top of emptying it every few hours or else its a disaster. i get in line for the bathroom, which has about 20 people and wraps around the building. ok. by the time i get in, everyone is pretty irate. i go in, begin to do my thing, (can't have been more than a minute, and i'm being generous) and as i'm trying to put it back in, people start kicking the door, telling me it's not a changeroom and literally yelling obscenities at me (because it was by a beach and the people in stalls adjacent to me were changing and taking too long, why they would kick the door of the person who just entered and sat on the can fully clothed is beyond me). anyways i was startled and dropped my cup in the toilet, the toilet that has been used nonstop all day. luckily, i caught it so quick it was maybe a quarter submerged. on top of that, i get blood all over my white shirt somehow. so i have to stuff my underwear with 1-ply tp, which enrages the woman kicking my door, since it takes longer than popping the cup back in. right, so i come out pissed and ready to fight, essentially, and when the woman that was kicking my door realized what a crasshole she was, she recoiled from me. i had to spend the rest of the day biking (because of course, it happens at the least convenient time) with napkins from our picnic in my undies, because we were stuck on this island with no stores.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:05 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Does anyone else ever feel like the DivaCup is really not as fabulously convenient as it's marketed to be? I mean, don't get me wrong, I love mine, and much prefer it both comfort wise and ecologically-friendly-wise to tampons, but I feel like there are times when having to deal with it is a nightmare compared to the convenience of tampons.

Like the situation that postnothing just described? Or when I was travelling a lot back and forth by train? The thought of having to empty a DivaCup in a cramped, dirty train bathroom, where half the time the sinks don't work... And now I'm working someplace where the bathroom is tiny and cramped and the only sink is in a publicly accessible area, so the idea of squatting in there and fighting with my cup and then having to come out and wash off my blood covered hands when any of my colleagues or customers can walk in is really unappealing. As much as I hate the thought of going back to tampons, I have done it when travelling and now I think I'll do it when I have to work during the heaviest days of my period.

But I feel like the way the DivaCup is marketed, it's actually supposed to be more convenient than tampons and great for travel. It kind of makes me feel like I'm doing it wrong. Anyone else feel like the convenience factor of the thing is overrated?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:53 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't think it's super convenient but i hate spending money on tampons/etc, so i put up with it. And i like it better than pads and tampons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

For me, it's incredibly convenient, because my flow is so light I never have to take it out during the day. Otherwise, nope. I've never seen it marketed as convenient though, only comfortable/healthy and environmentally sound.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:30 am 
Keepin' It Seal

There are definitely aspects of it that are super inconvenient like public restrooms where the water isn't running or sinks that are far away, but to me, that's outweighed by the convenience of never having to remember to bring tampons with me to the bathroom. I never carry a bag to the bathroom and my work clothes usually doesn't have pockets, so it always feels like I have a period sign over my head if I bring my backpack into the bathroom in the middle of the workday.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:08 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

oh man, i could blabber forever on inconvenience now that i have a long fall camping trip under my belt too. nothing like having to deal with a leaky, gushing cup at 4am, in the dark, in rain and then having to expose your bottom in that when it's like, 3 degrees. felt like i was just calling out to the bears to come attack me! but to be honest, any other option would have been equally inconvenient in other ways.

i like cups but i think maybe i need to branch out from diva cups? something a bit bigger than what they recommend for women like me (no birth, under 30) and stiffer.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:47 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I think having a period is inconvenient no matter what product you're using! There's no perfect solution but menstrual cups are the closest thing for me. When I have to empty mine in a restroom with no sink I just wipe it clean with toilet paper, re-insert, then wipe my hands as clean as possible. I prefer it for traveling because it's so much easier to pack than a bunch of pads or tampons and I don't have to waste time shopping for menstrual products in a foreign country. (I once ended up with "scented" pads because the labels were in a language I didn't understand... ick!)

That said, I've never tried backpacking with the divacup, and I would be totally intimidated by that! but I also just dread the thought of backpacking while on my period... pathetically, this is part of the reason why I've never gone on an overnight backpacking trip. :/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

yeah it was pretty awful. if i ever do that again, i want some sort of comfortable weather/moonlight guarantee, haha.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:07 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Yes. I used to use the Keeper, and really liked it for environmental reasons, but finally had to admit to myself that I just did not like using it. I think about going back to using it during lighter days, but that shiitake hurt to keep taking out and putting back in all the time, and, yeah, it's messier. I don't know if there's a significant difference between the Keeper and the Diva Cup.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:09 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i just bought a replacement! my original diva is like 5. i have a replacement lunette but it's not comfy so I was still using the diva sometimes. it's in the trash now, woooo.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16