| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: No one's resurrected a DivaCup thread, yet?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i just did some online research because i couldn't remember, but i've had mine for seven years (holy crepe!) with no problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Working with silicone in the lab has convinced me that its lifetime is probably longer than mine. That stuff is stable. I've had my cup 5 years and don't plan on replacing it unless it gets a tear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

So I'm really considering finally getting one of these, but I'm also nervous and chickening out (is that vegan?). I'd really like to never worry about buying tampons again, but then I hear scary stories about cups getting stuck or having giant messes while you're learning how to use it properly. I think on pay day I'm just going to go ahead and order one.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

i've been through three?

the first one lasted 4 or 5 years... I ended up replacing it because i couldn't get it clean anymore, but it was probably ok to still use. it was also way stiffer and a different design than the other two i got later on.
i wrecked the second one by accidentally leaving it in a bath of hydrogen peroxide for a month. don't do that, haha. i wanted to soak it overnight and forgot about it. the surface became really sticky.
the third one i've had about three years?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:04 pm 

The way the info in my cup's booklet was written, they recommend replacing it every year because they have to recommend that because it is a feminine hygiene product and they are just covering their butts by doing so. Or maybe I just read it that way because I wanted to.

I'll be getting my period in a day or two, so we will see how it goes this time. I'm definitely using lube this time, it was just way to sore putting in otherwise.

lobsteriffic wrote:
So I'm really considering finally getting one of these, but I'm also nervous and chickening out (is that vegan?). I'd really like to never worry about buying tampons again, but then I hear scary stories about cups getting stuck or having giant messes while you're learning how to use it properly. I think on pay day I'm just going to go ahead and order one.

Mine did not get stuck and I did not have any huge messes. So, do it up!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:04 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've had mine (a Keeper) for 11 years! You have to subtract 3.5 years for being pregnant and nursing my two youngest kids, but that's a long time. It's still going strong. I'm using it right now! I went too far there, didn't I?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Moon wrote:
The way the info in my cup's booklet was written, they recommend replacing it every year because they have to recommend that because it is a feminine hygiene product and they are just covering their butts by doing so. Or maybe I just read it that way because I wanted to.

that's the way i always interpret it, too. like i said, i've had mine for seven years, and i do an overnight soak in hydrogen peroxide water every month, and it basically still looks brand new. i have no plans to replace it unless something terrible/weird happens.

lobsterrific, it's definitely worth a try! i had a horror story with my first cup (diva) and that nearly scared me off for life, but after doing a bunch of online-picture-research i realized that they are all shaped differently, and so i gathered up my courage and tried a different kind (mooncup UK), and that fit me SO much better. i've never used anything else since, so it was worth me being brave and trying again. and you definitely have a lot of moral support in here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:27 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I decided to order a MeLuna after reading this thread. I'm nervous about having to fish around my undercarriage, but my curiosity is strong enough to make up for it, I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

which one did you get? i want to try a stiffer/bigger cup (meluna sport) for reasons, but apparently meluna can't ship to canada because they aren't approved by the FDA here. such a bummer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:43 pm 

I got the small mini. I'm very small, and also very sensitive. It was a tough choice. Who knew there were so many options?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah I think it's just to cover themselves legally. I do a 24-hr peroxide soak after every period to remove stains. A month long soak might be pushing it though :)

lobster, I have never had an issue removing my cup and I've only had one mess which was from leaving it in too long! So, anecdotal evidence going the other way!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:12 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Take a square of TP to put under the cup so it doesn't drip, then shuffle to the sink. I had to do that at work because the sink was way more than arm's length from the toilet.

lepelaar wrote:
I've never had easy sink access (my old apartment in Amsterdam had a toilet in a cubicle, and the sink was all the way in my bedroom, and at work, the sink is outside the unisex stalls), so I just empty it in the toilet, and wipe it - and my hands - down with toilet paper. I wash the cup with warm soapy water in the morning and evening, but always thoroughly wipe off any blood first. Even now that I've got a sink right across from the toilet, I do this, otherwise I'll drip on the bath mat on the way to the sink. When I'm not going to wash it (like at work or in the middle of the night), I just wipe it down and reinsert.

Thanks! I'll give it a try when doomsday comes.

I replaced mine at about 5 years - it stopped sealing as well so it was pretty obvious for me. Suddenly it wouldn't hold as much.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:06 am 

So my period started the other day, and I tried inserting with lube and it was a world of difference. It felt like it went right in place. So I went to bed.

Woke up and it was almost sideways and leaking like mad. I felt defeated and haven't tried since. Will today.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:25 pm 

So I took the plunge and ordered a DivaCup!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

I used mine for the first time over the weekend. I was out of town and only had one messy bathroom-floor incident where that thing was full because it'd been like 12 hours. Other than that, wholly recommend.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:51 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I bought a Mooncup about a year ago, left it in a cupboard for a while until I built up the courage to use it, had one great period followed by one disaster and haven't used it since. I must give it another go.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:01 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I got a small Yuuki cup a few months back and after some awkward fumbling the first few days, I loved it. It is on the small side for my heavy flow days (I have a copper IUD), so I took the plunge and ordered a large Lunette. It's only slightly larger, but holds almost twice as much fluid. I'm 29, so right in between size recommendations. I still use the small cup for the light days, and the large one for the heavy days.

Even the large cup leaks a little on the heavy days, so I also got some washable pads. They are surprisingly comfortable, much less sweaty and disgusting to wear than the disposable ones. The laundry soaking part is a bit of a hassle though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:10 pm 

I used my MeLuna for the first time today, it went quite well. There was a moment of panic when I thought I may never be able to reach it to take it out. Are they supposed to shift up like that?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:04 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Mine does that sometimes, depending on how high my uteris is at that moment. It helps to pretend you're pooping, so your muscles will push the cup down until it's easier to reach.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:26 am 

Ok, I think I am getting the hang of this now - how to get 'er in, where to put it, how often to check. I got this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:35 pm 

My cup arrived today!! So I have a stupid question...am I supposed to practice with this before I start my period? Or do I wait until day 1 of my cycle?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

lobsteriffic wrote:
My cup arrived today!! So I have a stupid question...am I supposed to practice with this before I start my period? Or do I wait until day 1 of my cycle?

You could try if you wanted or wait--I don't always get mine in right and sometimes I can only tell it's wrong if it's leaking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Lobsteriffic, feel free to try before! It may not tell you if you're slightly off, but at least you'll be getting the hang of putting it in/taking it out, so fixing anything off will be easier when you're on your period.

Moon, you so got this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:52 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Good luck lobsteriffic! It helps to try different folds until you find one that works for you.

So I have been using a diva cup for about 2 years now with no problems. Last period, I felt like I got some chafing from the bottom tip? Ugh. Let's just say it was rubbing me the wrong way. One of the things I like about using the cup is that I can stick it in and go about my business including running, biking, etc, without the dryness from a tampon. I just am a bit afraid now to run with it after this chafing episode. I don't know if my cervix was extra low or what could have been different to cause this. I decided to trim the tip a bit with scissors, but I'm still nervous it will happen again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:46 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Butternut wrote:
Good luck lobsteriffic! It helps to try different folds until you find one that works for you.

So I have been using a diva cup for about 2 years now with no problems. Last period, I felt like I got some chafing from the bottom tip? Ugh. Let's just say it was rubbing me the wrong way. One of the things I like about using the cup is that I can stick it in and go about my business including running, biking, etc, without the dryness from a tampon. I just am a bit afraid now to run with it after this chafing episode. I don't know if my cervix was extra low or what could have been different to cause this. I decided to trim the tip a bit with scissors, but I'm still nervous it will happen again.

Yeah, trim the tip. I assume you mean the sort of 'stem'? Like a wine glass stem, without a base? I cut that right off, making sure the edges were rounded and not spiky, because it kept poking me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next