| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Digestive system adjusting
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:42 am 
Tofu Pup

So um, how long did it take you all for your digestive system to adjust to a vegan diet? Specifically to the increased fiber intake? I have a history of digestive problems and was doing better for quite a while, but my gut has been bothering me almost daily since going vegan just over a month ago. I cut back on fiber (by eating white flour and white rice, while still eating legumes, nuts, veggies and fruit) a couple days ago and that seemed to help for one day. I will just keep at it and troubleshooting. Yes, I drink TONS of water already because I live in a desert.

Post subject: Re: Digestive system adjusting
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Sorry to hear you're having digestive troubles. I don't really have any advice for you as I didn't notice any difference when I went vegan, but I didn't have any stomach problems to begin with. I know there are a few people on here who have had IBS or related issues, maybe someone with more experience will drop by this thread in a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just farted a lot the first month or two, but that was only painful for those around me... I'm sorry you're unwell! If fibre is bothering you, maybe try eating more tofu and seitan and less whole legumes?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:21 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi! I'm in the same boat. I've only been plant based about a week now and I'm having some problems processing all the good healthy food. I had trouble with my previous style of eating as well. What I'm doing is eating small amounts and trying to eat every couple of hours. It seems to be helping. When my gut feels especially flared up I go bland. That helps a lot. Bland for me would be a not spicy white pasta or white rice dish, bananas, cooked carrots and sweet potatoes. I stay away from whole grains, nuts, seeds, raw veggies, hot spices and beans during these times. When things calm down I go back to eating those things cautiously. I also try to get some probiotics on a regular basis, usually in the form of a shot type drink found at places like Whole Foods. I hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon!