| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thread for those on birth control scared of blood clots
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:35 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I just started birth control pills yesterday and am already freaking out that I'll get a clot. Therefore, if you're paranoid about clots, come be paranoid with me so I'm not alone.

I realize this isn't even that rational, but when looking at pills online I found tons and tons of horror stories.

Post subject: Re: Thread for those on birth control scared of blood clots
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:28 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I'm with you. I don't take BC pills because the side effects make it not worth it for me. I'm a paranoid android.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:50 pm 
Hip Goiter

I'm so so paranoid about this. Especially with sitting all day at a desk now, it's all I think all day. I've been on it for 6-7 years so I'm scared that longer term= higher risk. It's so scary it's almost debilitating.*

*It doesn't help that my firm handles one of those lawsuits.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:45 pm 

I've had a ton of ginger chews and went to the gym. Flow blood, flow!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:20 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I think one of the big concerns with this side effect is if you already have elevated blood pressure. I had been having issues with mine being elevated, and, since I have practically no regular blood pressure readings from before being on the pill, the doctor did not feel comfortable renewing my prescription at my female annual. As a result, I've switched to an IUD, which may not lower my blood pressure (if it indeed was a result of the pill), but I'm hoping it will help...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:56 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm SUPER paranoid about blood clots...which is why I don't take BC. I actually wrote my Women's Studies thesis on how birth control is antifeminist.

But I also have a terrible fear of dying so....I'm not sure how much weight my paranoia should carry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:46 am 

I'm only taking them for one cycle, so I should be okay, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:19 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've been on BC for ten years now, and I'm good. Also, my blood pressure is really low, it just recently hit 100/80.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:00 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I was on BC for regulation purposes when I broke my leg. Due to a few other factors, I ended up getting a blod clot that travelled to my lung. It was scary! Now I'm terrified of going back on BC if it's going to make it more likely for me to form a clot (I probably won't unless there's some sort of trauma like a broken bone, but still). I can't figure out what's worse: month-long periods or a slightly higher chance of clotting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm really scared of this and now I have a weird health problem going on, which is probably just muscular, but it has me worried! I've been quite lethargic this Dutch winter (lots of snow, rain, cold, gray), so I've been staying in reading, writing, etc. I sit at my desk or on a chair with an ottoman. My left hip has always had some issues with swelling, but now it hurts and is swollen a lot! Even my back, near my love handle area. I've been icing it, taking ibuprofen, but it's not doing much. Because I'm on BC (switched to Yaz about two cycles ago), it has me freaked out. I don't smoke. I'm 26. I do take a pill for a rapid heart rate, but I don't have high blood pressure.

My partner and I have been trying to figure out what to do. I don't have insurance and we're bone poor. Every night I have him check it out to compare sides. One night he said "there's this lump here, but it's also on the other side." I had to explain saddlebags to him. Pain AND body shame! Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:08 am 
Naked Under Apron

pickledtreats wrote:
I'm really scared of this and now I have a weird health problem going on, which is probably just muscular, but it has me worried! I've been quite lethargic this Dutch winter (lots of snow, rain, cold, gray), so I've been staying in reading, writing, etc. I sit at my desk or on a chair with an ottoman. My left hip has always had some issues with swelling, but now it hurts and is swollen a lot! Even my back, near my love handle area. I've been icing it, taking ibuprofen, but it's not doing much. Because I'm on BC (switched to Yaz about two cycles ago), it has me freaked out. I don't smoke. I'm 26. I do take a pill for a rapid heart rate, but I don't have high blood pressure.

My partner and I have been trying to figure out what to do. I don't have insurance and we're bone poor. Every night I have him check it out to compare sides. One night he said "there's this lump here, but it's also on the other side." I had to explain saddlebags to him. Pain AND body shame! Awesome.

i'm so sorry, pickledtreats. that's so not fun at all. faceofsad. :( you might want to try heat and ice for your hip - that combination helps me out a bunch. try ice for 20 minutes and then heat for 20 - do that a couple times a day, even bring your ice and heat pad to work with you, if you can. i would see about taking some extra B12 & D vitamins to make you more happyfaced. i get a case of the sads in the winter as well - it blows, but i find that B12 & D vitamins help me a little. oh, and stretching might help you hip a little, too.

i too am on birth control, my family has a history of blood clots and i've had testing done and i do have the gene for it. my doctor said there's nothing they can do to prevent one other than be following a healthy diet and getting a good amount of exercise. be'n vegan sure helps with the healthy diet part and working out is coming along..... my spouse is looking into getting snipped though. i just wish he'd do it sooner than later!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks, happy! I'm trying to figure out a DIY method for the heating option since we don't have a heating pad (or a bathtub). My mom recommended that too, but I wasn't sure since the area that's swollen is a little warm already.

I need to get back on my B12. I finished a bottle of it about 2 weeks ago. I haven't found vegan D vitamins here yet, but it's on my list of things to track down!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:41 pm 

So should I come in and freak you guys out?

The fall before last, I started getting weird numb sensations over my arms and face about once a month. I would be sitting in the middle of class and just suddenly lose all feeling to my left arm or left lower half of my face, etc. Over Christmas, I went to my GP and they immediately pulled me off of my BC pill. I haven't been on any BC since. Totally freaked me out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:28 pm 

bakedfish wrote:

The fall before last, I started getting weird numb sensations over my arms and face about once a month. I would be sitting in the middle of class and just suddenly lose all feeling to my left arm or left lower half of my face, etc. Over Christmas, I went to my GP and they immediately pulled me off of my BC pill. I haven't been on any BC since. Totally freaked me out.

Eeeeeeeek!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:15 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Sarah wrote:
bakedfish wrote:

Eeeeeeeek!

Double eeeeek!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:45 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I get migraines with aura and if I take the pill, my stroke increase jumps dramatically. No thanks. Before I knew that, I loved me a good pill.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:44 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Went on the pill at 19, am 46 now and still breathing! No probs with the pill, BP is great, weight is fine. Periods are light. No children to care for :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:55 am 

Adah wrote:
Sarah wrote:

Eeeeeeeek!

Double eeeeek!

My job here is done!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:05 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just stopped taking the pill two months ago because the older I got, the more I would get paranoid about the risks involved. Even though my sex life has dwindled a bit, it's worth it in the long run! I figure I'll have a crappy sex life for a couple more years till we decide to have kid, then hubbie can get snipped and I'll be good again!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:27 am 
Level 7 Vegan

bakedfish wrote:

Is there not a way to check if there is a blood clot? Did your doctor just guess that's what it was? Does that mean that some blood clots are not too dangerous if you stop taking the BC because they just go away?!

So many questions now...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:38 am 

graffitipassion wrote:
bakedfish wrote:

Is there not a way to check if there is a blood clot? Did your doctor just guess that's what it was? Does that mean that some blood clots are not too dangerous if you stop taking the BC because they just go away?!

So many questions now...

I'm not too sure, but my GP did say that I can never go back onto a hormonal BC because of the significant risk to me. When I initially went in, she also made me go through a battery of physical tests, such as being able to push back against her, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:21 pm 
Huffs Nooch

All through my teenage years (though not sexually active) I was completely paranoid over ever starting the pill because of blood clots (or ever using tampons because of TSS). But last year my doctor put me on Tricyclen for my skin. Can't say it's improved my complexion much, but now that I'm sexually active I don't really want to go off of it right away. I'm more freaked out about the effects on my future reproductive health than a freak blood clot happening.