| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Type 2 Diabetes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:26 am 
Semen Strong

I know there is a rumpus room for the Type 1ers, but my MD thinks I may have Type 2 diabetes. I know that out family is genetically predisposed, and until my mother died, I kept my weight low. Now, despite being vegan, I'm 40lbs overweight, which I know exacerbates risk. I also have PCOS, which is linked to insulin resistance and makes it hard to lose weight.

Does anyone have any experience with Type 2 diabetes and with reversing/managing it with food?

Post subject: Re: Type 2 Diabetes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:33 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

no experience but I'm sorta in the type 1 rumpus room. I'm also genetically predisposed to both of the types, go genetics! I've lost 30 pounds this year. I've discovered I won't lose weight by just dieting, I have to exercise.
I think you'll have to watch your carbs, you can look up a lot on calorieking.com From what I remember of family members, they see a dietician or nutritionist who will give them meal plans.
I weigh all of my sons food for carbs and do for myself to keep in check since I'm a carbivore. Let's say we want wheat thins. I look at the box and it says there are 22 carbs per serving. the serving size is 31 g. I divide 22 by 31 and that gives me the factor of .7 So there are .7 carbs in every gram it weighs. It's in his meal plan to eat a 15 carb snack so I weigh out 21 grams of crackers to get that. Most nutritionists will not teach you that but will tell you to eyeball it or tell you to measure it by cups or pieces which can not be as accurate. I really suck at math and used to be a snot and tell my algebra teacher that as an artist I will never use this. Bit me in the asparagus!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:48 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Hello! I am type II, and I have been reversing it with a vegan diet, based on the recommendations of the PCRM and Dr. Neal Barnard, which basically means I am on a lowfat vegan diet. In one year I got my HbA1c from 14 to 5.4 and soon I should be off meds, and I lost 50 pounds so far.

I think the key for me is not just eating vegan, but eating _lowfat vegan_ and also eating the right kind of vegan foods; in other words, foods whose glycemic load is medium to low.

Here is some info you might find helpful---be sure to check out all the links!

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/diab ... index.html

I'll be happy to share any other information you want.

Quick question: are you on Metformin because of your PCOS?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes I am. It keeps my blood sugar down, but apparently there is another hormone that is elevated that is a sign of diabetes. I'm getting my glucose tolerance test on Tuesday.

Thank you for your post, its exactly what I was hoping to hear. You give me hope!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:58 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Tofulish wrote:
Yes I am. It keeps my blood sugar down, but apparently there is another hormone that is elevated that is a sign of diabetes. I'm getting my glucose tolerance test on Tuesday.

Thank you for your post, its exactly what I was hoping to hear. You give me hope!

You are so welcome! I will be thinking about you as you have your test on Tuesday---will you be OK about letting me know what happens?

I have a page on Facebook under "The Veganbetic" if you want to check it out. Please do let me know if there's anything with which I can help! Oh, and Isa's latest book, Appetite For Reduction, is just what the doctor ordered; I am so impressed with it and the recipes I've tried from it that I reviewed it on Amazon and gave it 5 stars. Lowfat and vegan---can't get better than that! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:09 pm 
Semen Strong

Thank you! How sweet you are! Please keep us all posted on how you are doing after losing Brooklyn. You are very much in our thoughts right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Tofulish wrote:
Thank you! How sweet you are! Please keep us all posted on how you are doing after losing Brooklyn. You are very much in our thoughts right now.

I will---and you're quite sweet, yourself! Thank you for sending a kind thought out to me and Mr. B (Brooklyn). He was everything...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:24 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Woopss, I don't know if you're addressing one or all of us, so I hope you don't mind if I give you my opinion as someone who has Type II and knows what she *should* have been doing from oh, let's say, birth! :D

1.) I should have been eating a wholly balanced plant-based diet with a good balance of healthy fats included.

2.) I should have been engaged in both aerobic *and* weight-training activities.

Here're some materials which will help you get more info:

Preventive medicine info (including info about diabetes) from the PCRM: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/

A GREAT, informative video I personally think everyone should watch:

And also... http://theplantrx.com/about/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Great video! Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:49 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

The Veganbetic wrote:

That was a fantastic video. Dr. Barnard is one of the most engaging speakers I think I've ever seen. Definitely sharing this with my friends and family.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

ScooterDiva wrote:
The Veganbetic wrote:

That was a fantastic video. Dr. Barnard is one of the most engaging speakers I think I've ever seen. Definitely sharing this with my friends and family.

Thank you SO much for posting this! I had't seen it and I love that guy. haha.

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:15 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

that video is great. I think that's the guy my grandpa saw on tv and was all hyped up about, he kept talking about that "vedgan doctor" at thanksgiving.
I went to a local vegan meetup group and two older men were told to go vegan or go on a bunch of meds by their doctor. I'm going to try and remember to get that doctors name cause I am looking for a primary one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:37 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

So glad you folks enjoyed the video. It's a jewel, it really is. I post it everywhere, I swear!

Youse peeps might also want to take a look here, too: this is Dr. Jenna Taylor's plant-based diet study, which just started earlier in the month!

http://theplantrx.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:24 am 
Inflexitarian

[quote=

And also... http://theplantrx.com/about/[/quote]

agree, interesting video although it's more than 5 years old. I'm guessing some of the research has improved since his talk was recorded. Would like to find out more about some of the research areas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:28 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'm actually going to see him speak at the PCRM one day diabetes presentation next month...I'll definitely share what he has to say.