| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone ever had a single tooth implant procedure?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:35 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Because I am going to have one. My 25-year old root canal (tooth flew out of my face during a bike accident when I was 10) is "failing" (very loose/unstable) and so I have to have a metal screw implanted into my jaw and then a fake tooth put over that. As of now, I basically can't eat anything that is tough/hard (its my bottom tooth, center), like bagels or granola bars anymore. I can eat things like carrots if I stick them in the side of my mouth, but I have to chew really slowly.

Here's what's going to happen! (DON'T click here if your are grossed out easily) http://www.dental-implants-guide.com/dental-implant-procedure-pictures.html

Have any ppkers had this done? Tell me about your experience. They only use novacaine and that seems inadequate. I'll still hear the gross noises.

My tumblr

Post subject: Re: Has anyone ever had a single tooth implant procedure?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:38 am 
Semen Strong

I had one. It wasn't a big deal at all, even though it sounds yucky.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:39 am 

How long did it take?

My tumblr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:44 am 
Semen Strong

Not exactly sure. I think it was a regular 90 minute session - no general just local. I was single at the time, and just took a cab back home after and slept for the rest of the day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:58 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I've never had one, but might have to in the future.
I went to school as a dental technician. When I was in school, I was taught that it is better to have the two step surgery, and not immediate loading, which was a new procedure around 2006.
To avoid listening to the drilling, etc., wear an mp3 player. You could also put some dilluted essential oil under your nose to mask the smell of bone.
Good luck!
P.S. It is pretty awesome that you can afford to have this done!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:28 pm 
Semen Strong

I think that is probably what I had - they did the drilling on day 1 and put on a temporary crown with temporary cement and then a week later cemented the permanent crown onto the post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:03 pm 

Magpie-Grin wrote:
I went to school as a dental technician. When I was in school, I was taught that it is better to have the two step surgery, and not immediate loading, which was a new procedure around 2006.
To avoid listening to the drilling, etc., wear an mp3 player. You could also put some dilluted essential oil under your nose to mask the smell of bone.
Good luck!

Thanks for the mp3 player tip -- I'm going to use that!

Smell of bone? Whuutt???

My tumblr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:59 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I have a friend getting teeth implants, but she needs several. They're doing a two-step process I believe. I think she has the screws in place now and will get the final teeth in about a month. She seems OK for the most part--back at work after two days. She's taking penicillin and Advil only, although they gave her vicodin.

Good luck!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:
Not exactly sure. I think it was a regular 90 minute session - no general just local. I was single at the time, and just took a cab back home after and slept for the rest of the day.

You make this sound better than I've been afraid it is. My two front teeth are both crowns and I've been advised to get implants because one crown has been abscessing for a decade. I'm terrified of a) the procedure, b) i was told i had to be anesthetized and I don't "do" anesthesia cause it makes me violently ill, c) i've been told they can fail, and IT'S MY FRONT TEETH! I don't want dentures.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:08 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

erinwyso wrote:
Magpie-Grin wrote:
Good luck!

Thanks for the mp3 player tip -- I'm going to use that!

Smell of bone? Whuutt???

You know that smell when they drill into your teeth. I'm sure there would be a similar smell for drilling into your jaw. It is just a suggestion if you are feeling extra nervous. Lavendar might be a good option to help relax you a bit and mask the smell.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just started this process with one of my teeth, so I had it pulled and had the socket-thing put in. Now it looks like there's a little screw in my gum, and I wait for 5 months and then get the crown. It was NOT a big deal. I was facing a re-do root canal of a tooth that had given me hell for years and I just couldn't face it. So glad I did this even though I'll be paying it off for a while. I had local anesthesia and the smell was pretty gross, but I never even had to take pain meds afterwards and now I just brush the screw when I brush my teeth. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:25 pm 

Axel Foley wrote:
I just started this process with one of my teeth, so I had it pulled and had the socket-thing put in. Now it looks like there's a little screw in my gum, and I wait for 5 months and then get the crown. It was NOT a big deal. I was facing a re-do root canal of a tooth that had given me hell for years and I just couldn't face it. So glad I did this even though I'll be paying it off for a while. I had local anesthesia and the smell was pretty gross, but I never even had to take pain meds afterwards and now I just brush the screw when I brush my teeth. Good luck!

So they did not put a temporary crown on the screw? So good to know that its no big deal. Yeah, the eating thing is really pissing me off. I can't eat a lot of things now and I have to chew so slow to make sure I don't hit it. This procedure IS expensive -- I was shocked to see how much and I'll be paying it off for a while too. But the root canal held for 25 years, so I can't complain too much.

My tumblr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 am 

So I had this done yesterday and it surprisingly didnt hurt. For some idiotic reason, I watched the procedure on YouTube before the actual procedure and got freaked out, but it was fine. Taking lots of antibiotics, anti inflammatories and vicodin. : )

Instead of a temporary crown, they cemented my old tooth back into my mouth. Its kind of floating between the other two front teeth (on the bottom) for 12 weeks while it heals. That will come out if the implant ossifies correctly into my jaw and I'll get a beautiful crown.

I unfortunately can't bit down on anything during these next several weeks. Lots of soup and mushy stuff for me for a while!

My tumblr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Wow. I got mine in a single session. Okay, one half of the root of the original tooth is still there, so I only needed two titanium screws, and the rest rests on the half-root. They lasered the nerve (or whatever), then screwed the posts in and immediately fixed the fake tooth on them. I got local anesthesia, so I watched the whole process in the reflecting part of the lampshade... Yeah, I always do these things, out of sheer curiosity. It did hurt when it "woke up", but I got really good painkillers (no opiates, though), and I could eat anything straight away.
The only problem I'm beginning to have with the implant, now, almost 13 years later, is that my gums seem to have receded a bit, and you can see the dead root on the inside. I also get more inflammations and other irritations, so I'm going to have to talk to my dentist about that. Unfortunately, the one who did it is no longer working...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I had it done for my front tooth (which makes biting into an apple difficult) but the procedure took about 1.5 hrs. I was wide awake but numb during the whole process and it wasn't bad. I wore a temporary tooth for about 5 months so that the implant could settle/heal and then was fitted for a temporary crown (which I'm still wearing). I'm in the process of getting a final crown made.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:54 pm 

SweetT wrote:
I had it done for my front tooth (which makes biting into an apple difficult) but the procedure took about 1.5 hrs. I was wide awake but numb during the whole process and it wasn't bad. I wore a temporary tooth for about 5 months so that the implant could settle/heal and then was fitted for a temporary crown (which I'm still wearing). I'm in the process of getting a final crown made.

Wow, the extraction and implant placement took 30 minutes for me and that was ENOUGH for me, even though it didnt hurt. I had to go to a deparate office to get my extracted tooth cemented back into place and that took less than 15 minutes. 1.5 hours sounds brutal.

5 months sounds like a long time too before getting a temp crown. I've been told 3 months, but that could be bumped up or down. I just tried to eat a sandwich today because I was so hungry (soup wasnt going to cut it) and I had to cut it up with a knife and fork and jam it back as far as possible into my mouth.

Is the temp crown more stable than the temp tooth? In other words, can you eat things like bagels or carrots with the temp crown?

My tumblr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:26 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

erinwyso wrote:
Wow, the extraction and implant placement took 30 minutes for me and that was ENOUGH for me, even though it didnt hurt. I had to go to a deparate office to get my extracted tooth cemented back into place and that took less than 15 minutes. 1.5 hours sounds brutal.

5 months sounds like a long time too before getting a temp crown. I've been told 3 months, but that could be bumped up or down. I just tried to eat a sandwich today because I was so hungry (soup wasnt going to cut it) and I had to cut it up with a knife and fork and jam it back as far as possible into my mouth.

Is the temp crown more stable than the temp tooth? In other words, can you eat things like bagels or carrots with the temp crown?

the temp crown is more stable than a temp tooth. the temp tooth is on a metal retainer and is meant to keep your gums from receding while the implant heals. a temp crown actually screws into the implant so it's more stable. but like i said, i had this done to my front tooth so when i bite into something hard, like an apple, i can feel the temp crown give a little so i know i need to ease up on whatever it is that i'm eating.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:36 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I had one of these done last year on a lateral (next to the front teeth). I had 3 wisdom teeth extracted, and a bone graft done at the same time so I was under and the surgery was almost 2 hours. The two days after were the hardest, I couldn't eat anything solid, and the pain was medium I guess. I was prescribed Vicodin but I only took Ibuprofen (600mg) so it wasn't unmanageable. I would think that without the extra procedures you will do great!

Bonus picture of me in the recovery room, my entire mouth is stuffed with gauze! When I woke up they gave me a pint of ice cream :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:27 pm 

emoberhauser wrote:
I was prescribed Vicodin but I only took Ibuprofen (600mg) so it wasn't unmanageable.

You are a trooper! I'm alternating between vicodin and lodine ...

My tumblr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:34 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I won't lie, I'm terrified of Vicodin. That probably had a lot to do with it. I have a mildly high tolerance for pain as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:18 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I am having an implant put in in March, and this thread is making me feel MUCH better about the whole process than did my dentist or the internet.

Did any of you have sinus lifts to go with it? The dentist said it's no big deal at all, but--they're moving around my sinus! So freaky!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:31 pm 

vegetalion wrote:
I am having an implant put in in March, and this thread is making me feel MUCH better about the whole process than did my dentist or the internet.

Did any of you have sinus lifts to go with it? The dentist said it's no big deal at all, but--they're moving around my sinus! So freaky!

vegetalion: I wasted a lot of time stressing about this -- I am a huge baby and I can tell you, its not a huge deal. Don't read about this on the internet -- everything I read was wrong.

I can't tell you about a sinus lift, because mine was done on the bottom row of teeth, but if you want something to relax you, ask for a valium prescription BEFORE you show up for the procedure. I asked about this day of and they said they could have in advance but now, no.

My tumblr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:00 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I need a few of these, having the only option on extraction sucks. I have long term plans to fly to Europe to do a bit of medical tourism to get those suckers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:37 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I had one last year and I'm terrified of the denist but it was ok. It's just really loud and the pressure is weird. Like when they're screwing it in. But the pain wasn't too bad, I actually only did Vicodin for a day. It helps if you have your iPod on. Oh, I should add that I took an anti-anxiety pill for it (klonopin.) I bet you could get something if you needed to.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:51 pm 

IsaChandra wrote:
Oh, I should add that I took an anti-anxiety pill for it (klonopin.) I bet you could get something if you needed to.

I was shaking so badly before the procedure and freaked out that it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to sign my own name on one of the forms. Then they went over post-op "what to do and what not to do" and I listened, but not really.

Take some calming drugs so you can do things like write and listen correctly before the surgery!

My tumblr