| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bursitis - Anyone ever had it?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:31 am 
Naked Under Apron

I'm missing the Hamburg PPK meet up this weekend because my left hip is achey and swollen. It's worse after walking a lot in my shitty shoes so I thought it best to bow out of the meet up. I've been trying to figure out what's up with it (still waiting on health insurance) while icing it, heating it, and taking ibuprofen. My mom thinks I might have a little bursitis. I don't really know, but I do a lot of sitting each day writing at my desk. But I don't stay seated forever. I'm up every 20 minutes or so (I suck at concentrating).

A lot of what I've found online says resting it is not good - to stay active. I went for a run/walk yesterday with my partner and that actually made it feel better. A few hours later it was achey again.

Just wondering if anyone here has dealt with it.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Bursitis - Anyone ever had it?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:44 am 
Chard Martyr

There is a woman I do pilates with who has it and it really upsets her because she loves to be active, but she is supposed to rest it. She stretches a lot. She ended up getting cortisone shots because it got really bad. I'm fairly certain, however, that you are supposed to rest and ice it... if it is bursitis.

But I'm obviously NOT a doctor! I hope you feel better!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:03 am 
Naked Under Apron

Meggs wrote:
There is a woman I do pilates with who has it and it really upsets her because she loves to be active, but she is supposed to rest it. She stretches a lot. She ended up getting cortisone shots because it got really bad. I'm fairly certain, however, that you are supposed to rest and ice it... if it is bursitis.

But I'm obviously NOT a doctor! I hope you feel better!

Oh yeah, you're right. The "stay active" thing was from when I was reading up on sciatica. I have no idea which it is. What's annoying is that it's most painful when I'm sitting - like when my hips are at a right angle. But the pain isn't so so so bad that I want to stay off it completely. I like running (it helps with my wintery mood a ton) and don't want to stop. Wahh :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:49 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I think I know what you're going through, this has been happening to me for the past few months on and off. It sucks! I walk a lot at work and by the end of the day my left hip hurts to extend, and then aches all night and I can't sleep. The pain is coming directly from the socket, as far as I can tell, and I also have sciatica from damaging my tail bone and it's absolutely not that. I was recently put on mega doses of Vitamin D and my doctor thinks that's it ("joint aches") but it's more acute than that.
Hope you feel better! I'll tell you if the D makes it better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:11 pm 

I have chronic bursitis in my hip. Basically I just try to rest when it's bad, take anti-inflammatory meds when I need to, ice, and do lots of stretching. Feel better!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:07 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I have had this in both knees and may have it in one hip. From what you are describing, it sounds like you have it as well. Bursitis is caused by inflammation of the bursa sac that is found in your knees and hips. Its function is to absorb the pounding those joints take while walking.

One of the things that aggravates mine is to sit on a hard surface for a prolonged period and then stand up. My whole hip feels like it is on fire and it feels the similar as when I had it in both of knees (at the same time and along with tendonitis while in high school).

Unfortunately, there is very little one can do about it. The best thing is to rest and take anti-inflammatories.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm sorry you're in pain!

I have a mystery left hip thing. About 3 years ago I woke up with terrible pain that radiated to my legs, I could barely even walk. I was allergic to the anti inflammatories, which made me violently ill to the stomach for added fun. I was on bed rest for a week and had to take it really easy for a while, although light exercise did make it feel better (especially yoga like motions).

The doctor never came up with a cause though. My blood was tested and 2 rheuma markers were positive. But I also had an x-ray that revealed one of my legs is shorter than the other and that my sacrum is fused with more vertebrae than it should be. He didn't even mention bursitis as a possible cause!

Sometimes pain pops up in the same spot. But it is more of a dull pain, not a sharp disabling one. I try to regularly take vegetable glucosamine supplements to keep my joints supple.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:17 pm 
Naked Under Apron

One of my legs is longer than the other and I think that might be part of all of this :(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:22 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

pickledtreats wrote:
One of my legs is longer than the other and I think that might be part of all of this :(

How long will it take (paperwork etc) before you can see a doctor?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:35 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Veg_Eric wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:

Not sure. I was hoping to be able to sign up online, but as a foreign resident you have to fill things out and mail them in. I'm hoping in a few weeks I'll be able to see the doctor. I could see him now for about 25 euro, but I know something like this will involve x-rays and that gets pricey. The pain is not terrible, but still annoying and something I'd like to be without.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

pickledtreats wrote:
Veg_Eric wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:

Not sure. I was hoping to be able to sign up online, but as a foreign resident you have to fill things out and mail them in. I'm hoping in a few weeks I'll be able to see the doctor. I could see him now for about 25 euro, but I know something like this will involve x-rays and that gets pricey. The pain is not terrible, but still annoying and something I'd like to be without.

My suggestion:

Call a doctor and explain your situation. Tell them you've got a residency permit and waiting for a reply by the insurance and that you're insurance will go into effect back to the date that you got your permit.

Then ask if they will see you and bill you after you have confirmation from insurance.
If they won't do that, then pay the bill yourself and file for reimbursement when you've got the coverage.

I doubt they will do x-rays. If they expect something inflamatory, he or she will just prescribe anti-biotics of some sort.

I'm not sure if it would work in the way I describe but I think it's worth a try.

If they tell you that x-rays are needed you can decline that until you've got confirmation of coverage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:02 am 
Naked Under Apron

Veg_Eric wrote:
My suggestion:

Call a doctor and explain your situation. Tell them you've got a residency permit and waiting for a reply by the insurance and that you're insurance will go into effect back to the date that you got your permit.

Then ask if they will see you and bill you after you have confirmation from insurance.
If they won't do that, then pay the bill yourself and file for reimbursement when you've got the coverage.

I doubt they will do x-rays. If they expect something inflamatory, he or she will just prescribe anti-biotics of some sort.

I'm not sure if it would work in the way I describe but I think it's worth a try.

If they tell you that x-rays are needed you can decline that until you've got confirmation of coverage.

This is what we're going to do tomorrow. I had a bad flair up yesterday and I don't know why. I've stopped running for the moment, in case it is bursitis. I didn't go walking anywhere yesterday because I just wanted to stay home in my sweatpants. I drank a little coffee and had a glass of wine that night, but that's it. The only thing I can think of that might have bothered it was sitting on the floor around our coffee table during dinner. I was on a pillow, though. Last night was terrible. Could hardly sleep! Now I've woken up with swelling. *sigh* I just want to wait for the insurance so I can walk in there and deal with whatever's necessary (x-rays, etc.).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:18 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Ugh, I had huge problems with this in undergrad and now it's more random. Laying in bed at night with your hip aching is no fun. When I first went in for the problem in undergrad, they took x-rays, but it was just to make sure there was nothing else up I think.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:48 am 
Naked Under Apron

bakedfish wrote:
Ugh, I had huge problems with this in undergrad and now it's more random. Laying in bed at night with your hip aching is no fun. When I first went in for the problem in undergrad, they took x-rays, but it was just to make sure there was nothing else up I think.

Tell me about it! Where did it hurt? Did it happen out of nowhere or after some "trauma." How did it go away?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:55 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

pickledtreats wrote:
bakedfish wrote:

Tell me about it! Where did it hurt? Did it happen out of nowhere or after some "trauma." How did it go away?

Mostly just a horrible aching sensation in my right hip(occasionally the left as well) where I imagine that the socket is. There was no specific traumatic event that I can think of. It started after I was practicing on an Ultimate Frisbee team for 10+ hours a week. Sometimes I'll walk more than normal during the day and it'll ache a bit. If I go for a run, there's a chance that it'll be sore later, but not always. It bothers me much less now that I'm not running so much.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:11 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I got it in my right hip from hula hooping too much. A couple times while I was just standing, or walking, it felt like my hip popped out of joint. I don't think it really did, but that's what it felt like. So I went to the doctor, who took xrays, and asked if I was doing anything different lately. I said I just started hooping for exercise, they laughed and said oh that's definitely it! Bursitis from hooping. So I stopped and eventually it went away, until last year when I was pregnant. I think maybe carrying the extra weight inflamed it again, and this time it was just general pain in the area, and a feeling like my hip wasn't quite connected right. I'm no longer pregnant, but it still feels funny sometimes, especially if I walk a lot.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:25 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have bursitis in both hips. Have had cortizone injections which help with the most debilitating pain in the worst areas that can be targeted, but do not help with the every day stuff, or when it seems to move to an area other than where I got the shots. Here are my recommendations based on my personal experience with bursitis, but which shouldn't hurt even if that's not what it is:

*Ice and lots of it. I often sit and even go to sleep with a flexible ice pack on my back or hip.
*Ibuprophen: I used to wait to take it until things were really bad because I was worried about taking it too often, but my doctor told me it's better to try to get on top of the inflammation right away before it cascades out of control. I actually end up taking less in the long run if I treat aggressively right away than if I wait until it's really bad and I "really need it".
*avoid straight heat, but some heat if it's followed by ice is okay, it can help expand then contract the tissues to encourage moving some of that inflammation-related fluid out of there. Don't do heat on it's own, and don't use those heat wraps. Those are great if you're having muscle problems, but not for bursitis. More like a hot bath followed immediately by icing the effected area.
* Try not to stay in any one position for an extended period of time. Gentle stretching and gentle low impact exercise can be good, but repetitive motion & anything high impact in the effected joint can make it worse so you have to find a balance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:32 am 
Naked Under Apron

Okay guys, I'm bumping this because I still don't know if it's bursitis or not (still waiting on approval for health insurance).

I stopped running, did stretching and icing, and some days ibuprofen, though maybe I should be taking the anti-inflammatories sooner. The swelling in my left hip went down quite a bit, but sleeping is still a chore.

Then I had a meeting yesterday where I had to walk pretty far from the bus stop. I got home later and the hip was completely swollen. Huge. This is so discouraging :( I wear shitty fashion shoes, so I'm in the process of looking at some supportive, vegan, but still good looking sneakers to wear. My mom thinks one of my hips is higher than the other (one of her hips is) and that might be causing me trouble. As soon as I get insurance I'm going to see about heading to a chiropractor or someone. This is so annoying!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:50 am 

I'm sorry you're in pain. There are definitely cute, comfy shoes out there. I love really high heels, but I've gotten to the point of not being able to walk without pain for days after if I wear them more than occasionally. So I usually wear flats, kitten heels, or shoes with some cushioning.

PS- Because of a back injury I had a long time ago my pelvis is rotated so one hip is higher than the other. I'm sure that was the start of the problems. Good luck!

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]