| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-adjusting sleep schedule
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:47 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Due to some intensive social activity the past few days, my sleep schedule has been (mal)adjusted from

10-11pm bedtime, wake up at 6-7am

to

3am bedtime, wake up at noon or 1.

This cannot fly, I need to be up by 7am on Tuesday.

Any advice for quickly re-adjusting?

Thanks, PPK!

Post subject: Re: Re-adjusting sleep schedule
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:28 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I've been in a similar boat, but I have more time to readjust. I've been forcing myself to wake up in the morning, and moving my wake-up time progressively earlier each day. That is a long-term fix, though.

What one friend suggested to me is to basically stay up all night and through to your bedtime the next night. You'll be SO TIRED by, say, 10PM, that you'll conk right out and it'll help you reset.

I haven't tried that, though, so I don't know if it works, but he says it does. Hopefully someone else will have firsthand experience to offer, but there's something at least!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:31 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks Darth. I've always loved your avatar by the way. Also kick-ass siggy.

I pray someone else has another idea, staying up all night does not appeal. I did the "workout a few hours before going to sleep" so your body starts that cooling down process that induces sleep.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Exercise before bed is supposed to energize you & make it harder to sleep... instead I suggest reserving 2-3 hours before bedtime for relaxing activities: read a book, watch a relaxing movie, listen to soothing music, take a leisurely bath, that sort of thing. Then drink some chamomile tea! That stuff always puts me to sleep.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:45 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Herbal approach, great idea corduroy. I will definitely do that. It's already 10pm, I had better start my relaxation activities about soon. Thank you!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:48 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

watch some golf. or football.

take some benadryl.

move to the west coast.

(sorry, i've gone months and months [years] at that schedule. go to sleep at 3-4 and wake up 10-10:30. it's awful. just pay attention to the first time you might be getting groggy. once you hit the 2nd wind, it's a lost cause.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:25 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks supercarrot. The fear of the second wind really motivated me to get to sleep.

I got ready for bed shortly after reading SC's post (made chamomile, finished up chores, took hot shower, did some really boring reading). The whole time I kept telling myself how sleepy I was and keeping the lights pretty low. I put some lavender in this aromatherapy diffuser I had and was in bed by around 11. Didn't fall asleep right away, but drifted in and out until I finally passed out.

Now it's 9am and I'm pretty much awake. So at least I'm on the road to having a reasonable wake-up time tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I should show this thread to my teenage daughter. Every weekend we have this issue. She stays up super late (to me)on Friday night then sleeps til noon Saturday, goes to bed even later on Saturday night, sleeps til afternoon and then can't sleep Sunday night and has to get up at 5:30 am on Monday. She makes it through her school day but then picks fights with the rest of the family and is super-emotional and can't study/do homework on Monday evening.

She is good about going to bed early (9ish) during the week when she has school but just can't make the connection on the cumulative night owl effect of the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:44 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

another thing that helps is listening to books on tape. (especially if read by a soothing voice)

and make sure you get the kind that doesn't play music, or any other sounds other than the voices. harry potter is really good. (but don't pay too much attention to the story, or you won't get sleepy)

i've tried using the stories from compassionate cooks, but she plays the music. i'm thinking of downloading all the stories and editing the music out of them (and while i'm at it, deleting the introduction) before putting them on my ipod.