| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Over the counter meds and pharmacists
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jojo wrote:
To stick with your example you can just walk into any chemist in the UK & buy something to treat BV, you can also buy a lot of stronger painkillers without prescription here.

Really! I have the feeling it's the opposite in France.
For one thing all OTC drugs are kept behind the counter (even some cough drops!) and you have to ask the pharmacist for them. I think one of the reasons is that the pharmacist can answer questions and give advice. For example when selling plan B, my pharmacist systematically explains until when it's efficient and recommends thinking about switching to more permanent contraception and getting an STD test.
Also, a lot of the drugs that are OTC in the US are prescription only in France. They're trying to keep auto-medication as low as possible, and to replace stronger drug use (like antibiotics) by prevention work, because both are cost saving over the long run. I guess the fact that drugs are covered by social security only if you have a prescription encourages people to see their doctor! I think the only thing I've ever bought without a prescription is paracetamol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:20 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Meggs wrote:
Re: cold meds containing pseudoephedrine- the reason you have to show identification, like mollyjade referred to, is so that there is a "paper trail." You are only allowed to purchase a certain amount of medication per day (3.6g), and a certain amount per month (9g), containing pseudoephedrine. This is due to meth manufacture, and it is regulated under the Methamphetamine Precursor Control Act/Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005. When you show ID and write your information in the book at the counter, it is entered into a database that prevents you from going shop to shop and obtaining more of the drugs.

I get that it's a "pain in the butt" to get Sudafed, but that is why there are options to purchase the same drugs without pseudoephedrine.

This is true, they put your name into the database, and if you try to go to another pharmacy (CVS for example) when they enter your information again, it will flag that you have just bought that drug.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:29 am 
Seagull of the PPK

here in Brazil ALL antibiotics were over-the-counter (you have to ask, but you didn't really need a script) until 2011- now you must have a script. The government's explanation is that people were self-medicating with antibiotics for things that didn't respond to antibiotics (saying they had strep when it was a cold, for example, or the flu, especially with the flu scare in recent years, there were some deaths after people took antibiotics for their flu symptoms and their conditions became severe but they still didn't seek treatment), and there continue to be strains of drug resistant bacteria developing- we're having a wave of MRSA type hospital borne infections right now that resist most treatments.