| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nose Piercings?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So I've always wanted to get my nose pierced and I figure my 27th birthday is Saturday and I may as well do it now. Maybe a hoop in the nostril or a stud, not in the septum. I guess I have a couple questions for those of you who have them, or maybe you can direct me to an informative site. So!

Boogers? An issue? I'm a pretty snotty person in general.

Hoop or sparkly stud? Are these thing interchangeable?

What kind of scarring can I expect in the event of removal?

Any words of wisdom?

Thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: Nose Piercings?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:38 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've had my nose pierced twice. I have bad sinus allergies, so I've had to take them out because of swelling during the spring. (If I can get that under control, I'm going to re-pierce.) Anyway, blowing your nose isn't really a problem. (At least wasn't for me.) I have had a hoop and a stud, but never with the same piercing. I don't have any scarring other than what looks like a slightly enlarged pore on my nose.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:45 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

Boogers aren't an issue. I have pretty terrible allergies and am always blowing my nose, and the jewelry has never caused any problems there.

Your pick! Some people prefer studs (sparkly or just metal) for healing, others rings. Discuss it with your piercer, who should be able to tell you the ups and downs of each. And yes, once you're healed, they're interchangeable. That said, if you get pierced with a stud, you should consider what size ring you might want to wear in the future. I was pierced with a stud, and when I decided to switch to a ring I had to have the fistula stretched a size up in order to wear the ring size that best suited my nose. Not a big deal, but that may be avoidable.

I removed a nostril piercing (and tons of others) years ago, before I had it re-pierced, and it didn't leave a scar. Most of my piercings have not left scars post-removal. That said, it's a possibility you should be aware of and okay with before getting pierced.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:53 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm okay with scarring. It would be a nice change from the black head and giant pores. TMI?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yay! Its my favourite kind of piercing.

I started out with a stud which was fine at first, the one the piercer gave me was easy to take out. Too easy to take out, in fact, I lost it down the drain XD I prefer a hoop now, its much easy to put in and take out, I find, and easier to clean. When I had a stud I had a little bump on my skin under the jewel, but it went away quickly when I got the hoop.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:05 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I have a stud in mine but occasionally wear a ring as well. When I take it out (which I do for work several times a week) it just looks like a blackhead, so left out it would probably heal over just fine. I've never had a problem with boogers, but they don't really bother me and if something gets stuck on the screw I just pull it off. When I got it pierced my eye on that side of my face watered a ton but the other eye didn't. I thought that was funny. Geez, I've had mine nearly a decade now that I think about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:08 am 
Bought a wardrobe full of Affliction t-shirts

i love mine!

i did find that in the event of "unblowable" boogers q-tips are my friend.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:09 am 

Shy Mox wrote:
When I had a stud I had a little bump on my skin under the jewel, but it went away quickly when I got the hoop.

i had that problem with a steel stud. it went away when i switched to silver.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

my nose piercing is my absolute favorite peircing.

as far as boogers go.... to be honest, sometimes i get a little crud stuck on my stud (okay, that sounds really funny!), but not all the time. it's mostly clean as a whistle.

i have a stud - and mine isn't sparkly - it's white gold & very small. i loves it the most. they are interchangable with a hoop though - and i get my studs from bodysparkle.com

not too sure on the scarring - i still have mine (11+ years now!) and i don't ever see myself without it.

nose piericings = the best! i think you'll truly love it the most! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:32 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

chop_socky wrote:
I was pierced with a stud, and when I decided to switch to a ring I had to have the fistula stretched a size up in order to wear the ring size that best suited my nose. Not a big deal, but that may be avoidable.

I don't understand this. What dimater of ring did you get that didn't come in 18g?
barbie wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

When I had a stud I had a little bump on my skin under the jewel, but it went away quickly when I got the hoop.

I highly doubt you're wearing silver jewelry in a piercing every single day, it's a really irritating material.

http://www.bodyartforms.com/materials.asp#Silver

For the OP:

I don't wear rings because I kind of have upturned nostrils, I think rings look best on people whose nostrils more face downwards. That's just my opinion though. I'm not sure if it actually affects the healing, but I also think a screw would be better inititally because it's much less likely to get caught on things that a ring will. Not to say that a screw won't, I got my week old screw caught on my pillow and pulled it out when I woke up (and then Jehovah's witnesses rang my doorbell when I was trying to get it back in [bloodily], it was a fun morning).

As far as boogers, yes stuff gets caught on it. I have both nostrils and my septum done and it's pretty crowded up there so I go through q-tips like a mug.

About scarring, I had my nose pierced once before and when I decided I wanted both sides, I wanted them higher so I just let the first one close up. There's a small dent there, and it's never going away, but I don't care. If you are really concerned with scarring, you should never get pierced.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks everybody!! I'll let you know if I go through with it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

one more thing to think about - when you get it pierced, if you want a hoop, normally they'll pierce with a pretty large hoop just in case there is swelling! i didn't think about that before i went and ended up going with a stud instead.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:27 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I got a stud when I got pierced, then switched to a closed hoop-somehow I managed to blow out the stud when I blow my nose-and it heals way too quickly, I suck at putting it back in with my ginormous hands and little nose. I had to run down to the piercer late at night with my 2 little kids to get it redone :( I get the bump when I blow my nose a lot but use salt water to clean it and it goes away.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:37 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

chimrichalds wrote:
one more thing to think about - when you get it pierced, if you want a hoop, normally they'll pierce with a pretty large hoop just in case there is swelling! i didn't think about that before i went and ended up going with a stud instead.

The nostril is actually one of the few areas of the body that doesn't really swell up much, just a tiny bit & usually on the inside. Any good piercer should be able to pierce your nose with a ring that'll 'fit' correctly.

Whichever choice you make you'll need to stick with it for 4 months before you change the jewellery.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:19 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Oh man. I've had my nose pierced twice and each time I got a giant cyst on the inside and outside. I took care of it great, kept it clean, was pierced in a reputable place...but it grew a big scar bubble thing. I had to take it out both times. But then again, the same thing happened to me each time I had my ears pierced, even when I got it done with a needle in a piercing place. What stopped that from happening finally was stretching my ears after I got them pierced the last time. Anyway, that's besides the point. I think they look nice but I can't have them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:27 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
chop_socky wrote:
I was pierced with a stud, and when I decided to switch to a ring I had to have the fistula stretched a size up in order to wear the ring size that best suited my nose. Not a big deal, but that may be avoidable.

I don't understand this. What dimater of ring did you get that didn't come in 18g?
barbie wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

I highly doubt you're wearing silver jewelry in a piercing every single day, it's a really irritating material.

http://www.bodyartforms.com/materials.asp#Silver

that's very interesting. i've never had a problem with it, but i can see how some people could. silver is actually the only thing i can wear in the second set of piercing in my ears

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

paprikapapaya wrote:
Oh man. I've had my nose pierced twice and each time I got a giant cyst on the inside and outside. I took care of it great, kept it clean, was pierced in a reputable place...but it grew a big scar bubble thing. I had to take it out both times. But then again, the same thing happened to me each time I had my ears pierced, even when I got it done with a needle in a piercing place. What stopped that from happening finally was stretching my ears after I got them pierced the last time. Anyway, that's besides the point. I think they look nice but I can't have them.

you know, that happened to my navel piercing - it got a keyloid (scar tissue type stuff that looked like a small cyst) and then when i had mine stretched out for another gauge it went away. i think that was also due to the fact that i was allergic to nickel & my old navel ring was nickel. my new navel ring was white gold & that totally helped out. perhaps you're allergic to nickel or your nose is more sensitive to it. that stinks that you had to take the nose piercings out, but i'm glad your ears are okay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I first got my nostril pierced when I was 17, as soon as I left my super Christian high school and was allowed to get piercings. I had it done with a nostril screw, which I liked because there was no chance that it would fall out. I eventually changed it over to a smaller stud which fell out during the night and I may have swallowed (I never did find it, even when I moved house). I had it repierced in the same spot (and then once more after that), which completely sucked because there was really thick scar tissue there. I eventually took it out about a year and a half ago, and you can't really tell that it was ever pierced. There's just a tiny dot there.

Also, clear nostril retainers are great if you ever need to hide it. I used to wear one when I worked at Starbucks and there were people there who never even realised that I had the piercing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:52 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

you know, that happened to my navel piercing - it got a keyloid (scar tissue type stuff that looked like a small cyst) and then when i had mine stretched out for another gauge it went away. [/quote]

Sorry to be all annoying but if it went away it was not a keloid scar, keloid scarring is permanent. You probably had hypertrophic scarring which is often confused with keloids, hypertrophic scarring goes away eventually & can be caused by irritations at the entrance and / or exit points of a piercing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

just a pointer on something that took me a while to realize:

i have thicker-than-most-ppl's nostrils, so, with the swelling immediately after piercing (like for a week), I started developing that "bump" people were talking about. it was not a keloid, but it was from the irritation the stud was causing from pressing on my nose.

if that happens, don't freak out! just upsize your stud/screw to a longer post.

i freaked out about the bump (was it infected? will it ever go away?), and it took me the LONGEST time to figure out that i needed more room for the swelling...simple solution!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:46 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I had a nostril piercing for a while. Jewelry was a hoop until it healed, then I got a nostril screw which are super easy to get in and out. Unfortunately, unless you keep jewelry in the piercing all the time, it closes up pretty fast. I had to take out the jewelry for job interviews, one side closed, got the other side done, some time later had a different occasion to remove the jewelry and that side closed. Very sad.

If you go through with it, keep in mind that you might want to have clear plastic retainer jewelry on hand so you can pop it in and then put in your regular jewelry again when you get a chance (no risk of it closing).

I think they look rather nice, and it didn't hurt too much. Go for it :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:10 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

mrsbadmouth wrote:
chop_socky wrote:

It wasn't a diameter issue. I was pierced at 18g, but I felt a slightly thicker ring would better suit my nose (an 18g ring looked a little dainty on my not-so-dainty nose), so I had it stretched to 16g. I was just letting the OP know that if he/she plans to switch between a ring and stud, he/she may want to consider which ring size best suits his/her face before choosing what size to get pierced at.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 pm 
Saggy Butt

jojo wrote:
chimrichalds wrote:

The nostril is actually one of the few areas of the body that doesn't really swell up much, just a tiny bit & usually on the inside. Any good piercer should be able to pierce your nose with a ring that'll 'fit' correctly.

Whichever choice you make you'll need to stick with it for 4 months before you change the jewellery.

oh, interesting!
maybe because i wanted a tiny hoop snug to my nostril? or maybe he wasn't the most educated piercer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:29 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

chop_socky wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
chop_socky wrote:

It wasn't a diameter issue. I was pierced at 18g, but I felt a slightly thicker ring would better suit my nose (an 18g ring looked a little dainty on my not-so-dainty nose), so I had it stretched to 16g. I was just letting the OP know that if he/she plans to switch between a ring and stud, he/she may want to consider which ring size best suits his/her face before choosing what size to get pierced at.

Listen to chop_sockey! She is wise. I had to stretch up my nose piercing after switching to a too-tiny stud, and it sucked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:30 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I have had mine for over 20 years; it's a simple tiny diamond stud with a conventional post backing. Sometimes boogers fill up the two "loops" in the backing, but it's easy enough to remove, clean, and replace.

Please let us know if you get your piercing done, Cowgirl! Would you consider posting a pic or two?