| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: vitamin D deficiency
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:31 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My level was so low it couldn't be detected on the lab's machine. They even sent a sample to a sister lab to make sure the machine wasn't broken but nope, no vitamin D was detected in my blood. The official printout says "<4" because anything under that can't be detected. Both labs ran the blood twice to make sure.

My doc told me to take 5,000 iu daily for 10 weeks then get the lab repeated. Being snowed in limited what pills I could grab locally so I have a D3 for now. When I can get to the HFS I'll pick up a vegan one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Wow, veggiesue. Good luck getting those levels up!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:58 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Wow, that's scary veggiesue. I'm glad you're addressing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:31 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Here's a summary of everything about the new recommendations. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD/

the health professional tab has the info about blood levels.

Wow thanks for the great link. I just was told my status was low too. I was pretty surprised seeing that I live in such a sunny climate and spend descent of time in the sun w/o sunscreen.

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:27 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

It is important to check levels every once in awhile to figure out your personal absorption rates - at the end of winter is a good time. My vegan nutritionist recommends that everyone once severely deficient should probably plan on taking 5000 iu daily indefinitely.

I was also deficient at levels so low they didn't register. I was able to bring my levels up to then-acceptable levels by taking seven 1000 iu of D2 daily (plus a little extra in my calcium supplements) for a couple months, rather than one 50,000 iu pill a week. I spread it out, taking 2-3 with each meal. I've heard some doctors say taking it in smaller doses is probably better anyway.

Once my levels were up, I tried to maintain it by taking 2,000 iu daily, but it wasn't enough for me and I dropped down to 19. I now take 5000 iu daily, and the last time I was checked (end of winter last year) it was 45, so it is probably higher in summer. But I have been hearing that is now considered low (60+ is better), so I'm going to be tested again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

My results also came back <4, and the doctor suggested that I take pre-natal vitamins, which I thought was a little strange. Then when I asked about possibly getting a bone scan, she said that it was pointless because I would have to supplement regardless of the outcome. Unfortunately, I was too flustered and upset to do much insisting, and so nothing happened.

I ignored her pre-natal vitamin advice and bought myself some high-dosage vitamin D instead. I should re-test soon, but I don't think that's covered by my school health insurance (the first test was at a public clinic, and I'm not in the area anymore). Boo!

Good luck to everyone getting their levels up. It seems to be everywhere - I made my mom get her levels tested after I got my results, and she was also deficient.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:56 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

This thread inspired me to go out and buy some Vitamin D supplements. Thanks, PPK!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been vitamin D deficient as well, and that was after only being vegan a couple weeks. Lots of omnivores are deficient. Everyone should be supplementing, regardless of diet.