| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Laparoscopy..advice?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:34 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm having a lapaoscopy done on Friday to diagnose the cause of pelvic pain. If you've had one done.. any advice or pre or post-op? Anything you think I should be aware of? My best friend has been filling me in but I've heard they are different depending on the person and case. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Laparoscopy..advice?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Good luck. I have no advice, but wanted to send you good thoughts. I hope your pain gets resolved and that you feel better soon.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:17 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Pre-op, it was just the usual-avoid eating after a certain hour. My doctor had me tell her in plain terms what she was going to do. You'll definitely want to eat things that are lighter and higher in fiber a day or so before because you do NOT want to be constipated after surgery.

Your belly button might feel weird for months, but it wasn't that bad for me, and I have a low tolerance for pain and hate hospitals. I was very tired from the anesthesia for a few days, but the worst part was the anticipation. I did have some amnesia right after surgery, where my doctor apparently talked to me, but that's pretty common, too.

My doctor warned me that I might have a little shoulder from the air they fill your abdomen with dissipating, and I did, but I walked around a bit, and it went away. Some people don't have any, and for some people the shoulder pain can be worse.

Take the pain meds if you're uncomfortable because it is way easier to sleep if you aren't in pain. Even with the meds, sleeping was uncomfortable, but it was mostly when I wanted to turn onto my other side. You should also have someone stay with you at home, at least the day of surgery, and listen to what they tell you about avoiding lifting anything heavy.

For me, at least, I was just sore and tired, and I just felt a little crappy for days, but nothing unbearable. I hope everything goes well for you and they figure out what's going on!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:11 pm 
Impressive boner

designedtobekind wrote:
For me, at least, I was just sore and tired, and I just felt a little crappy for days, but nothing unbearable.

Same here. My belly button felt weird for a few months due to the scar tissue being tight. When I got home from surgery I ate too much and vomited into the waste paper bin.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 pm 

Ok, I'm glad some people don't have such horrible stories as my friend does. She said it was an incredible pain, one unlike she's every experienced. Her's was also used to remove scar tissue from endo, not just diagnose.

Is it true you cannot eat solids for 1-3 days?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just saw this thread, but I hope you're recovering okay!

I had a laparascopy that diagnosed my appendicitis and ruptured ovarian cysts when I was in 9th grade. You definitely have these gas/air pains in your stomach and shoulder after the surgery because they blow you up with air.

Everything kindbydesign said is great advice - hope you're feeling better!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:13 pm 

Thanks! All went well. Not too much pain or discomfort, all manageable. Do you all remember how long it was before you could start exercising? I do yoga regularly and they didn't tell me give me a timeline. I will call tomorrow to ask, just wondering for the mean time. Thanks again for the well wishes!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sprout wrote:
Thanks! All went well. Not too much pain or discomfort, all manageable. Do you all remember how long it was before you could start exercising? I do yoga regularly and they didn't tell me give me a timeline. I will call tomorrow to ask, just wondering for the mean time. Thanks again for the well wishes!

I'm not the person to ask since my laparascopy turned into an appendectomy and other stuff. I had three incisions and it took me a while to get over the soreness (though that could have been my whiny 15-year-old self complaining).

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

pickledtreats wrote:
sprout wrote:

I'm not the person to ask since my laparascopy turned into an appendectomy and other stuff. I had three incisions and it took me a while to get over the soreness (though that could have been my whiny 15-year-old self complaining).

Good luck!

same for me, except mine had ruptured and then i got peritonitis. i had 3 incisions as well, but i imagine if i hadn't been so sick it wouldn't have taken me long at all to get over it. if i remember correctly my doctor told me it wasn't something big to worry about, just not to lift anything heavy.