| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sleepy People
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:05 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I am frequently tired. What's up with that?

I get 8-9 hours of sleep a night (from 10 or 11pm to 7am-ish). I drink a cup of coffee in the morning and then usually another around 2 or 3. I haven't had my bloodwork done in just over a year, but it's always been fine so I doubt there's anything wrong there. I exercise 5-6 days a week for about an hour a day. I get enough calories. I get migraines and I did have IBS issues but I quit gluten and that's helped with both.

Suggestions? Commiserations? (I don't even know if that's a word, but you get what I'm saying.)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Sleepy People
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:09 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Try taking ZMA - I definitely get more restful sleep (and intense dreams) with it. This one's vegan - http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_ ... ee_Listing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

vegimator wrote:
Try taking ZMA - I definitely get more restful sleep (and intense dreams) with it. This one's vegan - http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_ ... ee_Listing

I tried this at vegimator's house the other night (along with melatonin) and it REALLY works, at least for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

What were you doing sleeping at my house, taking my vitamins??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:22 pm 

thanks! what is it exactly? and i don't really dream - maybe i'm not getting restful sleep?

vegimator wrote:

crazed stalker, crazed stalker!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

appifanie wrote:
thanks! what is it exactly? and i don't really dream - maybe i'm not getting restful sleep?

Yeah, if you're not dreaming, you're not getting deep REM sleep. ZMA is just zinc, magnesium and B-6, all of which help in seratonin creation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Did you get ferritin measured at all? I have no idea if that's standard, since I had to request it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

appifanie wrote:
vegimator wrote:

Sheeeeeeit, like I'd be stalking vegimator when I could be stalking his dog:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:42 pm 
protein lump

it may be the afternoon coffee. i know if i have any caffeine after very first thing in the morning, i'm tired. i think it's the dehydration. i drink a ton of water, but i feel like it's the coffee that makes me tired.

er, was. i can't do caffeine at all any more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

maygles wrote:
appifanie wrote:
vegimator wrote:

Sheeeeeeit, like I'd be stalking vegimator when I could be stalking his dog:

He is more photogenic than me but I usually smell better. Though he did just have a bath.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Keyword: 'usually'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I go through phases of being tired. Usually around 3pm I get sleepy and want to nap and it's mostly on days where I'm at work. Other times it's because I've eaten sugar and I feel like I'm about to go into a coma.

It was worse when I drank coffee but I've noticed it's better since I quit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm always tired, and have pretty much always been. I have low iron stores, but as far as I know, that doesn't affect energy. My B12 is normal. My digestion is sluggish, I rarely eat sugar and I drink coffee. I did notice that when I cut out coffee last year (which didn't last too long), my 3:00 slumps seemed to lessen.

I've also recently gone mostly gluten-free (with some slips in the past couple of weeks) but I didn't notice an energy difference when I was I was 100% gf.

My sleep patterns are fairly good and I get an average of about 7-8 hours of sleep a night.

Basically, I have no insight. I'm just here to commiserate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Low iron can most definitely cause the feeling of constantly being tired. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_defic ... _and_Signs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Low iron/anemia can cause low energy for sure, but I always thought having low iron stores was different.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

mishka wrote:
Low iron/anemia can cause low energy for sure, but I always thought having low iron stores was different.

Not the best source, but just from doing a little searching -

Quote:
"My doctor measured my hemoglobin and it's normal. Could I still be anemic?"

A normal hemoglobin level does not necessarily indicate that you are not anemic, meaning your blood is not low in iron. Yet, the hemoglobin level obtained in your doctor's office does not reflect total body stores of iron. It's possible to have a normal hemoglobin, that is, a normal amount of iron in the blood, yet have vital tissues throughout your body deficient in iron. Some people have symptoms of iron-deficiency anemia, even with a normal hemoglobin. To really be sure you have enough iron in your body, your doctor may send you to the laboratory to measure the serum ferritin, the level of iron in blood that accurately reflects iron stores. (Normal values are 7 to 140 micrograms per liter (mcg/l) in children, 20 to 120 micrograms in women, 20 to 300 micrograms in men.) If your serum ferritin level is normal, you can rest assured that you have adequate iron stores throughout your body.

Serum ferritin levels detect iron deficiency in the early stages; a low hemoglobin reflects a much later stage of iron deficiency. This is an important consideration, since with a normal hemoglobin and low ferritin levels the iron stores can be restocked by simply increasing the amount of iron in your diet. By the time the hemoglobin is low, iron supplements are usually needed. Symptoms of iron deficiency anemia, such as being tired, irritable, and having difficulty concentrating, may be present long before anemia is reflected by the hemoglobin tests. That is why a serum ferritin is an earlier and more sensitive indicator of iron deficiency.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:24 pm 

mishka wrote:
Basically, I have no insight. I'm just here to commiserate.

Totally acceptable!

I shall first attempt to cut back coffee some more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks for all that, vegimator!

appifanie wrote:
I shall first attempt to cut back coffee some more.

Poor coffee. So good, yet so, so bad. Hope cutting back does something for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:10 pm 
Inflexitarian

Have you ever had all of your thyroid hormones checked? This recently upset my universe...because I was once hypothyroid, then went "normal" and then it all crashed and I became useless for about 4 months til I finally found a doctor who tested all three/four levels.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm sleepy a lot too. I think I just need more sleep. I'm going so fast from the moment I wake up, I think I just need more down time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Kitteh wrote:
Other times it's because I've eaten sugar and I feel like I'm about to go into a coma.

This happened to me today. I ate a heap of Oreos at work this afternoon and by 3pm I was just staring blankly at my computer, struggling to stay awake and totally forgetting what I was supposed to be doing. The deliciousness wasn't worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:21 am 

assilembob wrote:
Have you ever had all of your thyroid hormones checked? This recently upset my universe...because I was once hypothyroid, then went "normal" and then it all crashed and I became useless for about 4 months til I finally found a doctor who tested all three/four levels.

3 or 4 levels? I've had 2 thyroid tests but I think each one only tested for 1, maybe 2 things. And I currently can't get decent, competent doctors - boo. I'll try though!

Erinnerung wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
Other times it's because I've eaten sugar and I feel like I'm about to go into a coma.

This happened to me today. I ate a heap of Oreos at work this afternoon and by 3pm I was just staring blankly at my computer, struggling to stay awake and totally forgetting what I was supposed to be doing. The deliciousness wasn't worth it.

It's true - yummy junk food usually isn't worth it. You eat it and then feel blechy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:54 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I totally feel you. I've had issues with an unspecified sleep disorder for as long as I can remember. Like, always tired and falling asleep in every class I ever had (long before I was even vegetarian), while driving, on trains so I'd miss my stop, in work meetings right across from the president... etc. etc.

I've had three overnight sleep tests because originally they thought I had narcolepsy or apnia, but turns out I have neither. So I've got "idiopathic hypersomnia with excessive daytime sleepiness". Fantastic.

Now that you all mention it though, none of my doctors have ever checked me for iron deficiency or thyroid issues. I should look into that.

Also, ever since I had a baby, it has really strangely improved. I read somewhere your body changes to prepare you for staying up all night with a newborn, so I've been wondering if something has actually improved because of that - or maybe it could be the prenatal vitamins? I have no idea but I hope this continues - not falling asleep at my desk is great!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:14 pm 

idiopathic as meaning we have no freaking idea why. so helpful, those doctors!

i hope you keep staying awake when you need to be! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:24 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

When I last got my blood looked at, my cells were normal, but my iron stores were verging on being too low and the supplements my GP prescribed seem to be making a difference. I'm not someone who typically needs much sleep or gets sleepy during the day, so I suspected something might be up when I started getting drowsy for no apparent reason, other than a particularly horrible period. If anything my thyroid is quite speedy.