| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone successfully deal with cat/dog allergies?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:27 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My son and I are having allergy tests done (food and other indoor/outdoor allergens) and I'm super worried that one or both of us is cat-allergic. Does anyone have experience dealing with this while having pets? I've never had allergy shots or other immunotherapy, so this is totally new to me. I'm far more worried about my kid at this point than about me. And of course about my three kitties.

Post subject: Re: Anyone successfully deal with cat/dog allergies?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:20 am 
Semen Strong

I have asthma which is triggered by cat dander. We try and keep the cats out of the bedroom and we keep our hardwood floors well-vaccuumed.

I'm on maintenance meds that are more than I was on pre-cats though, but its worth it. I couldn't ever give them away

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:24 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

If adults with allergies choose to live with pets they are allergic to, that is their own business. But if you have a child who is allergic, please, please, please be responsible for your child's health and find another home for you pets. I understand that people love their animals. But doing long lasting damage to your child's growth and respiratory system, putting them on extra drugs they other wise wouldn't need to be on, and letting them live their childhoods with low energy, sniffly noses, itchy eyes, and aching lungs, just isn't worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 am 

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
If adults with allergies choose to live with pets they are allergic to, that is their own business. But if you have a child who is allergic, please, please, please be responsible for your child's health and find another home for you pets. I understand that people love their animals. But doing long lasting damage to your child's growth and respiratory system, putting them on extra drugs they other wise wouldn't need to be on, and letting them live their childhoods with low energy, sniffly noses, itchy eyes, and aching lungs, just isn't worth it.

I am leaning this way, as much as I hate to admit it. I don't care if I'm allergic to cats. I'll deal. If one or both of my kids is allergic, that changes things dramatically. I hate the idea of re-homing them, but I don't want to risk my kids' health. I'm hoping at this point it's just me, since I'm pretty sure I am allergic to my furry friends.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:06 pm 
Naked Under Apron

my spouse and i are both allergic to our cats, and we have 3 of them. here's what we do:
- dust twice a week
- blackets or kitteh beds where your kittehs like to lay the most. this way you can wash the bedding.
- no kittehs in the bedroom. ever.
- we vacuum every other day - (we have a Dyson DC017 for pet hairs and such. got it at BB&B with a 20%-off coupon we received in the mail and it totally saved us some $)
- we got (2) Blue Air purifiers - (1) for our living room and (1) for our bedroom. they're pricy, but worth it. they're very quiet as well. seriously - they're awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:06 pm 

Thanks for the help, happyfaced! It looks like we might have to do that with our room at least.

We just got back from the allergist for my son's follow-up. No cat allergy, thank goodness. He is allergic to eggs, though, which makes sense because he has only reacted when away from home. At any rate, I'm mostly worried about other cross-contamination outside of home now, but at least he's not allergic to the kitties!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:29 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Glad to hear your son isn't allergic. I was deathly allergric to cats as a child (my best friend had three). I have since outgrown the allergy--I have three cats if my own and have even volunteered in a cat shelter without a problem--but I clearly remember the discomfort of itchy, watery eyes, wheezing, and hives on any part of my skin touched by cat. I totally loved cats even then, but living with one would have been difficult.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:59 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

That is really good news that you guys are not allergic!! What prompted the worry?

This is kind of moot now, but others who check in might find it helpful. I have a ton of pet and environmental allergies and never did the shots because it's such a huge commitment, but certain allergists are now administering sublingual allergy drops that function the same as the shots. I put five drops under my tongue every night and that's it. I've been on them for two years (expect to stay on them for 3 more, after which I'll have 80% chance of avoiding a recurrence of symptoms) and the decrease in my symptoms has been incredible. They're expensive ($60/month) but worth getting back the four months I used to lose every year and keeping me off of heavy duty steroidal asthma drugs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:10 pm 

Well, first he reacted to something he ate at a friend's house; then he got a couple of nasty rashes/bad congestion last week here. (Still not sure what the latter is, but it's not cats. Some irritant and a cold virus, maybe.)

I'm long overdue getting tested for a couple of things, so I'm getting tested for cat allergy also. I get horribly congested around my cats, so if there's anyway I can treat it I'm going for it. (I don't really care about cost of allergy shots/drops if I don't feel rotten all the time.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 am 
Tofu Pup

All I can say is, when I lived with my mother and her dog and the cat, I was totally fine. Since I moved out I react a lot more allergic to both of them when I visit my mom. All I can do is take these anti-allergy pills (anti-histamin?). Even when I'm back home I have a few days of struggeling with allergic syptoms (short breath, itching skin etc.). Stroking them makes it a lot worse, so I have to run and wash my hands a hundred times a day (but that really helps).
It's so sad :( I want to have a dog too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:28 am 
Naked Under Apron

sooooo awesome that he's not allergic to kittehs! wahooooooo, annakarenina!

the Blue Air air purifiers are a big investment, but you only have to change the filters once every 6ish months and honestly, they are amazing. my mom recommended them to us because they use them in the hospital she worked for. the filters are pricy as well, but we get ours through amazon - and bought a refurbished model for our purifier and it works great! we've had them both for 3+ years now and they still rock socks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:56 am 

Good to know about the purifiers. I just looked them up... It seems like a good investment if I'm allergic. Yikes to the initial price tag though. I think refurbished is going to be the way to go if it gets that far!