| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hungry Days
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:01 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

So every once in awhile I have a HUNGRY day where I am just so hungry all day long, even when I'm eating good quantities of decent food. Anyone have this and have any tricks?

I won't list specifics because I know we're not supposed to compare or be triggering or any of that, so I'll just say that I have had a good # of calories today and good quanities of protein, healthy fats, carbs and fiber.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Hungry Days
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:04 pm 
Chard Martyr

Yes, I have days like you described. Sometimes I find that I've forgotten to drink enough water.
Also, I have days where I just cannot drink enough water.

eta: I didn't really answer the question. On those days, I just try to drink more water, munch on crunchy things like carrots and apples, and if that doesn't do the trick, I say "oh well" and start over the next day. I figure my body needs something, but I can't figure it out. I eat well most days, so one day every now and again isn't going to hurt me, though it is frustrating!

Last edited by Meggs on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

This happens to me all the time too, I'm curious to see how people combat this. There are just some days where I eat the same way I usually do, and I never feel satisfied.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I drink tons of water. Or at least I thought I did. But since I started tallying on a pad on the 'fridge every time I fill up my 14 oz. glass and aim for about ten glasses a day, and follow a nutritionist planned guideline for what to eat and when I never have these days anymore. Well, the only time I did I had exercised so much in one day I think I just had some serious calories to gain back. Normal routine of 45 to an hour of cardio and either strength training or yoga doesn't ever leave me hungry. Only the day I did cardio and two serious workout dvds all in one day.

Every body is different tho.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:42 pm 

Meredith - Exactly!

Thanks Meggs and Mama! I do drink a lot of water but I'll try to drink more. It is pretty much the only thing I drink (1-2 cups a day of coffee).

Also Mama, I think my kiddo had the same shirt your kiddo is wearing in your avatar :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:46 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

From the usual day to day, I mostly am not all that hungry. I get excited for certain foods/meals and once I eat them, they are out of mind. However, like once or twice a month, I'll have a day where I am COMPLETELY ravenous. LIke, no amount of food will satiate me. I am assuming these days happen because either hormones or some sort of vitamin deficiency and it's my bodies way of attempting get those nutrients so I just try to go with the flow. The weird thing is, nothing sounds particularly good, just mass quantities of food sound good. I haven't found a trick for diminishing my appetite those days other than trying to make a big meal of decent but dense food- lots of protein and whole grains. Other than that, the only thing that works for me is accept that a couple days a month I am ravenous and I try not to question it or psyche myself out. I found that on those days, if I allow myself to practically eat my kitchen dry and not try to interfere with my appetite, the next day I am back to my normal eating routine and no longer craving peanut butter drizzled on anything and everything.

ETA:
I usually eat very healthfully every other day. I eat fruit smoothies with rice protein in the morning, snack on fruit, most of my meals are based around veggies. I certainly excede the recommended intake of fruits + veggies and meet my protein requirement. I drink lots of water and do my best to do avoid all added sugar. My point being is that I feel like the 2 days a month where I am insatiable don't effect my over health as they are so far and few between. They're really unnerving as I feel like I can't reason with my appetite those days, but again, I am just trying to learn to accept some days my body wants to be in charge of food and let my mind take the backseat.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:19 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm having one of those day's today, I just can't stop eating!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:22 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have those days. Being still a teenager I just kind of figured it has to do with growing. So I just eat more when those days occur. I eat healthy foods mostly fruit to keep me full instead of sugar loaded treats like cupcakes or brownies on those days though.

I don't worry about it much because some days I don't really want to eat anything after I have had breakfast.

"If I was a celebrity with Twitter, I would totally use it to fork with people" -DangerZone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:43 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

On those sorts of days, it usually turns out that my body wants a certain fruit or veggie. When I track down that specific food and eat a serving or two, I'm no longer crazy ravenous. It works almost every time. So perhaps a diet shakeup on those days might help?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:55 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I just figure it's normal for my body to need more food some days than it needs other days, so I go with it and just make sure I'm eating healthy foods and not crepe.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:03 am 
Inflexitarian

I might be more ravenous leading up to my period occasionally. I go with it. Most of the stuff I keep around the house is healthy so I'm usually just eating more peanut butter, not junk food. I don't think it's a specific nutrient on those days, just like a hollow leg. Or a tape worm.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:11 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think this happens to me when I haven't eaten enough protein for dinner the night before. I can ward it off almost always by eating oatmeal with a bunch of peanut butter mixed in for breakfast.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:35 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This happens to me mostly when I don't have enough fat in my diet. I get wicked hungry if I do too many carbs, not enough other stuff. I usually end up eating some PB or other nut butter with apples and feel better.

Sometimes, though, I just get HUNGRY. And I eat. I figure my body needs something, so I go with it unless I'm reaching for too many sweets.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:11 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I get this. It's interesting to read people's theories as to why and what to do to stop it.

I generally give up worrying for that day and EAT. I try not to give in and eat biscuits or crisps or junk, I just have massive meals, and let myself snack on fruit and handfuls of nuts and home-made flapjacks. I snack quite often (every 2 hours) or I get irritable and distracted on those days. Other days I can go without food for a while (4 hours) and only be a bit hungry, and not to the point of distraction.

Interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

I have days like this too, although it's usually related to being on the second week of birth control pills. I get ravenous and just want to eat constantly. It helps if you have carrots and hummus and healthier stuff on hand to eat all day.

Also, I've learned that working out when you're hungry gets your mind off food. Plus you'll burn some of those calories ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:20 pm 

KarmaLily wrote:
Also, I've learned that working out when you're hungry gets your mind off food. Plus you'll burn some of those calories ;)

I can't ever workout if I'm hungry - all I can think the whole time is that I can't finish w/o food.

Good theories and ideas everyone, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:26 pm 

this is why I have a ginormous tub of salad mix. If I'm still hungry after a meal, I fix myself that and drink plenty of water. I think with me it's hormonal too. I have to do non-carb cause one of my children can only have carbs at certain times and it's unfair to him if I eat a banana and he wants one too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

It could be hormonal. I definitely think some days you will need more food energy than others. But it could be emotional too. Are these stressful days? I think its important to determine WHY you want to eat, not just WHAT. Similarly, some days I don't feel like eating much of anything. I don't force myself and figure it all evens out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:40 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I think I'm going to try and eat bigger breakfasts and hope that helps me feel less hungry throughout the day. I'll let you know how it works out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:42 pm 

If it only happens every once in a while, why fight it? .... eat, Eat, EAT!

My tumblr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:45 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

erinwyso wrote:

yeah, I agree with this! From a nutritional standpoint getting an equal amount of nutrients and calories each day isn't really necessary. Everything balances out over time. If you have a hungry day or two, you will balance it out with some not very hungry days later.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:49 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I have hungry days sometimes. I give in and just eat a ton otherwise I get cranky. It seems to be mostly during the day for me and rarely lasts into the evening. I also have days where I don't get as hungry so I figure throughout the week, it evens out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:20 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Today was such a day for me. I think it's PMS. The last thing I ate tonight was Sweet Chili Doritos and now I have a stomach ache. That should teach me but it probably won't. Tomorrow I concentrate on eating whole, healthy foods. I feel so much better then even if I eat lots.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:19 pm 
Huffs Nooch

i try to eat really rich dense healthy foods like mostly nuts or nut butters so that i can feel like i can something pretty solid in my stomach without having to eat massive quantities of food that will bleat me up and make me really uncomfortable (im really small, so my stomach bloats up easily) and if that doesn't do that trick i'll have a smoothie or something afterwards so that i can at least feel sort of full from the volume. plus water is always good, and smoothies have lots of that and other nutritious stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:22 pm 

Abelskiver wrote:
It could be hormonal. I definitely think some days you will need more food energy than others. But it could be emotional too. Are these stressful days? I think its important to determine WHY you want to eat, not just WHAT. Similarly, some days I don't feel like eating much of anything. I don't force myself and figure it all evens out.

PMS related days I get, but it isn't always related to PMS. And my life is generally not so stressful these days - hurray! I never don't feel like eating - sigh.

ijustdiedinside wrote:
erinwyso wrote:

yeah, I agree with this! From a nutritional standpoint getting an equal amount of nutrients and calories each day isn't really necessary. Everything balances out over time. If you have a hungry day or two, you will balance it out with some not very hungry days later.

This is generally true. It jsut drives me nuts sometimes!