| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has anyone any experiences of TM?(transcendental meditation)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:26 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

My boyfriend has been sick for a while, and gets stress from work lots too. We went to visit his uncle today (who was recovering from having a 5kg spleen removed! what the fizzle?) and he was singing the benefits of it to my boyfriend. Uncle got into it 30 years ago when he had a heart attack at 34.

I did a bit of research into it this evening, but not enough to convince either of us either way (other than David Lynch loves it too). It'd be good to hear some real experiences of it!

Post subject: Re: Has anyone any experiences of TM?(transcendental meditat
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I suppose I could look this up myself, but how does it differ from traditional methods?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Its trademarked and you have to pay.

I'd sing the praises of meditation all the live long day, it has helped me with stress and anxiety. But its not so unique that you need to pay hundreds of dollars to get a special mantra that doesn't really mean anything. At some places you can learn meditation for free, crazy no?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:28 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Talk to me more. I know naff all about meditation and how the types differ.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, sorry! Transcendal Meditation specifically is trademarked, so no one else is legally allowed to teach you how to do it and you must pay one of their teachers to show you. From what I can find out TM is basically mantra meditation with yoga worked in at different levels. You can find meditation classes for much cheaper or go to a temple or group that practices it and probably get lessons for free, if what you can find online isn't helping.

Meditation is an mind exercise, there are meditations where you're focusing on a particular thing, or visualize something (like, "you are a flower, feel your petals greet the sun..." or "you're in your happy place..") What I mean by mantra meditation is that while you meditate, you recite a mantra (a chant) and focus on it. A mantra generally has no meaning, the most famous one I think is "Om". Om doesn't mean anything but the sound itself is considered sacred. You concentrate on the sound, and cease to follow your thoughts.

I think breath counting is an easier one to start with, though. There's instructions here: http://www.zenguide.com/zenmedia/books/ ... tion_guide

Essentially, after you've chosen your posture, you continue in this way:

Quote:
Start with your breath out counting "one," then "two" for the next breath in, and so forth up to ten, then go back to one again. The second alternative is counting "one" for each breath out and skip the breaths in. Just say the number in your mind and not a loud voice.

Whenever you lose count, you simply start counting "one" again. When you lose your counting, this means, you were with random thoughts or random feelings.

Harder to do than it sounds XD its easy to get distracted by your thoughts and lose count, it can be a struggle sometimes.

But if you want to go ahead and do mantra meditation, its basically the same thing, just concentrate on your mantra rather than count your breath. I think the TM crowd will say the mantra is very powerful and an individual one is given when you take their class (based on your gender and age), and many will say that they have powers, but almost anything can be a mantra. You can chant "She sells sea shells by the sea shore" if you really wanted to XD The odd time I do it I use Om Mani Padme Hum, its very sing song and pretty:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

I too am prodded in the direction of transcendental meditation by David Lynch and Dale Cooper.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:34 pm 
Grandfathered In

But with TMâ„¢ you can fly, right?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:46 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

hoveringdog wrote:
I suppose I could look this up myself, but how does it differ from traditional methods?

Well, it transcends them, obviously! Plus TMtm is just totally cool looking.
Ok, in all seriousness though, I've really learned some great relaxation techniques from my inexpensive park district yoga class. I have no knowledge or experience of TMtm.
eta: Hey, footy, how did you get your tiny tm to be at the top of your big TM where it belongs, instead of down at the bottom like mine is?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:01 am 
Grandfathered In

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
hoveringdog wrote:

Ok, in all seriousness though, I've really learned some great relaxation techniques from my inexpensive park district yoga class. I have no knowledge or experience of TMtm.
eta: Hey, footy, how did you get your tiny tm to be at the top of your big TM where it belongs, instead of down at the bottom like mine is?

Just how it worked when I did it with my phone.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:30 am 
Smuggling Raisins

In '98 or '99 I went through this crazy obsession wit Andy Kaufman. He was big into TM. I didn't have a whole lot of knowledge about it other than people said they could learn to levitate. That was enough to initially sell me.
We used to have a TM center in Cleveland. A friend and I visited it for an introductory class. Basically it was like a sales pitch of this will change your life forever... ever .ever (echo).
I wish I remembered more but I don't think the lady that taught the class did much besides say "This is an amazing technique, blah blah. It costs $500 to start the program". My friend and I were like "We don't have any money. We're only 17." And the lady was like "Well, you should just take out student loans and you can pay for it that way."
I believe we did consider it briefly because we really loved Andy Kaufman a lot but then we just sort of forgot about it.

Looking back on it, I'm like what the fizzle? Anything that makes those kind of outrageous claims and then wants you to pay them a crazy amount of money is just silly. It's very elitest in my opinion. Basically they're saying you can open the secret powers of the universe and achieve this amazing way to look inside yourself and become an uber-successful human BUT ONLY IF YOU SHOW US THE MONEY. Those not able to afford it are shiitake out of luck and can crawl back under their rocks to their simple little unworthy lives.

(and besides, the TM community rejected Andy Kaufman - a life long practicer of TM- because of his controversial career, so they can go suck it)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
hoveringdog wrote:

If you're on a PC, hold down the alt key and type 0153 on your number pad. If you're on a Mac, get a PC.

(You can do on Mac, actually, but it's a bit more annoying)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Shy Mox wrote:
Its trademarked and you have to pay.

I'd sing the praises of meditation all the live long day, it has helped me with stress and anxiety. But its not so unique that you need to pay hundreds of dollars to get a special mantra that doesn't really mean anything. At some places you can learn meditation for free, crazy no?

this.

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I want to preface this by saying I've never been really "good" at meditating, but back when I was in high school and college I tried a couple different ways because I wanted to be all crunchy and connected. BUT I got TM training in my teens and it really didn't seem any different than normal meditation, just a lot more expensive. I gave it up within a year or so (and tried other kinds of meditation, which weren't much different for me, I should add. I may just be too high stress a person for meditation in general).

Then again, it's worked for a lot of people. I think TM really benefits people who need someone to teach them things, need to pay for something to really feel like they're getting something out of it, and above all need someone to tell them that what they're doing is important to actually think it's important. That's not a criticism of people like that, but if you're not like that, take up normal meditation and you should get the same benefits.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:59 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Thanks for asking this question because I too have been curious about it since I heard David Lynch mention it!

I'm going to throw in another question: when I was in high school, my World Religions teacher played us a meditation tape that she called "alpha rhythms". It was kind of like a metronome with a bit of guided visualization at the beginning where you counted backwards from 10 I think. It lasted for 15 minutes which went by quicker than the blink of an eye. I've been looking for something like it for 12 years! Does anyone know of something like that, or if it has a different name?