| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: i am trying to quit smoking!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:47 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

What can be helpful is to smoke herbs (like damiana, blue lotus, lions tail, etc) during the initial period - even mix it 50/50 with tobacco and then change the ratio until it's all herbs (if you roll that is) - it's a really handy way to wean yourself off - as obviously the herbs are not addictive like nicotine - but in that transition from smoker to non-smoker stage it can be really good to have something you can replace it with and still do the whole hand to mouth action, while you get over the nicotine cravings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i am sort of considering doing a 1-a-day thing until my pack is empty, but on the other hand, that will keep the cravings going for longer.
i know that if i start gaining weight because of the cigarettes, i start again. that's my deal with myself, otherwise i wouldn't even be able to do this.

anyway i am still going strong, and i will be a non smoker by the end of february, one way or the other! it's not too bad right now, as long as i drink black coffee or run or eat when i get the cravings.. let's see how it will be at the end of the day!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:13 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

smoothie wrote:
i am sort of considering doing a 1-a-day thing until my pack is empty, but on the other hand, that will keep the cravings going for longer.
i know that if i start gaining weight because of the cigarettes, i start again. that's my deal with myself, otherwise i wouldn't even be able to do this.

If you're making a deal like "I'll go back to smoking if I gain weight," you're pretty much guaranteeing that you'll keep smoking until it kills you. Almost everybody gains weight when they quit, and people gain weight for all kinds of reasons even without going through a stressful activity. If you're really serious about this weight gain clause, I highly recommend paying strict attention your diet and exercise so that you're eating the right amount to maintain your weight. I gained about ten pounds when I quit smoking after 13 years of doing it. Two months later I'd lost all of that added weight. You can always do the same thing.

I'd also say don't cheat with a cigarette every day. Every cheat makes it easier to justify future cheats. When you quit, just quit. Either give away the rest of your cigarettes or break them and throw them in the trash. If you can't get yourself to do that, rethink your dedication to quitting and do it anyway.

You're stronger than you think! You can definitely make it through the sucky part of quitting. Once the brief bad period is over, the rest of your life will be much more awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:03 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yeah, please don't go down that road Smoothie. You can do this!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Smoothie, I didn't gain weight when I quit.

I went through a similar quandary recovering from my ED, so I know what you are feeling (if I'm remembering your old posts correctly). A lot of people told me when I was in recovery, "Don't try to tackle two things at once..." and so I continued to smoke for a long time. But recovery takes a long time, too! So, I finally decided to just quit smoking. There's never a perfect time to do it because life will always be stressful, you'll always have something else you have to "quit".

So I just did it. The rational part of me realized that it was okay if I gained a few pounds in the beginning, but the irrational part hated that idea. I let the two fight it out and finally decided I didn't want to be a smoker any more badly enough to risk a couple pounds of weight gain. And what happened? I gained nothing. Or if I did...I didn't noticed. (I stopped weighing myself a long time ago). Why didn't I gain? It's probably because I was, under the surface, scared still, so I made sure I was replacing my cravings with healthy non-food alternatives.

I really feel your concern on that, but try not to be nervous about it. The way you are going to gain weight is if you are so stressed and you can't have a cigarette, so you eat something high in calories instead. And you do that...a lot. I have a feeling you aren't going to be doing that. You'll be replacing cravings with sparkling water, kambucha, and yoga...right!?!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:34 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

Have you considered an electronic cigarette? My husband's last attempt to quit lasted 4 months, and by the end he was having panic attacks. He's a very ritualistic person, so losing both the act of smoking and the effects of nicotine made it impossible for him to quit. But with the electronic cigarette, he gets to keep both those things without nearly as many issues. And, when you're used to the e-cigarette, you can switch to using stuff in it that doesn't have any drugs in it at all--no nicotine, no other stimulant, just stuff that tastes like whatever flavor you want.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So are you just trying to go cold turkey?? In my experience, that has never worked. It sounds like you have a very physical addiction to cigarettes like I did. I quit almost 2 years ago using the patch, and before that I had tried to quit literally hundreds of times. The physical craving is always what got me and before I knew it, I was at the gas station buying a pack. Also, contrary to popular belief, the cravings do get worse after not smoking for a few days because that is when all of the nicotine is out of your system and your body will start craving it even more.

My advice is to get the patch, gum, whatever works best for you, and stick to it for at least a couple of months. I used the patch. Sometimes I would put on the patch even when I wasn't craving it because I never knew how the day would pan out for me. I always fell off the wagon before on the days when I thought I didn't need the patch, and then boom there was that craving that I couldn't say no to. Personally I hated the gum and the lozenges because of the sensation they give you in the back of your throat.

I know there are a lot of people out there that quit just fine without any help, but I think it is always best to set yourself up for success and plan for the worst. That way you have a better chance of staying quit! You will be soooo glad you did. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well, i talked to my therapist and he basically said "the way you're reacting to this and how much you link the cigarettes to your eating disorder and body image, is it really worth the risk? and can you manage to stay in control if you start restricting again or something similar?" and we talked a bit and he said "i think maybe the best thing you could do is to just cut down a bit and then try again in 6 months or a year or two years. it will probably take a while. and 9 months in recovery really isn't that long, after all."

so it's off. but i definitely want to cut down. i don't exactly think smoking is awesome (or, well i love smoking, but i find the smell and the costs to be off-putting) - but i am not taking any chances with the eating disorder. it's my #1 priority to stay healthy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Well, it's good that you are considering ALL the possible outcomes of quitting. You have a bit of a unique situation that's making the quitting more difficult. I agree that it's not worth risking any kind of relapse over. You'll know when you feel steady enough to try again.

It is possible to cut down. I quit smoking when I still had a pack hanging out in my house. I had cut down SO much that I forgot I needed or wanted one and that a pack of smokes was nearby. I just distracted myself a lot whenever I wanted on...or told myself to hold off for a couple more hours.

The most important thing is that you are thinking about it, and wanting to be a non-smoker. That's really great and you'll get there eventually!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:13 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

How are you going? Don't beat yourself up if you don't go cold turkey, not everyone does it that way. You might need some extra help like patches or something, or just cut down gradually as your therapist seems to have told you. Hugs!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

oh! i just remembered something i did when i would get cravings while i quit! i, too, didn't want to gain any extra weight (i'm comfortable where i am), so i would go into the kitchen and chug a full glass of water. the action took my mind off wanting a smoke, and the water filled up my tummy. plus, i was drinking more water, which is always good.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

well, i've managed to cut down to about 10 a day no problem, and i think i will try to cut down even more in a few weeks. i hope to be able to get down to 5 a day within the end of march. 10 cigarettes is a lot less than before (i've been at 20-30 a day for a looooooong time) - and 5 is even better.

this whole thing did actually make me feel at shaky grounds with my eating disorder issues, so i am quite happy that i have managed to cut down and feel okay. it annoys the hell out of me, and makes me really sad that i have to think about my ED issues every single time i try to do healthy stuff - running, quitting coffee, quitting smoking.. but i know that not having an ED is SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT. so yeah. trying not to beat myself up about not quitting and taking it SLOW. which is quite hard, as i've always been an all or nothing person.

but within the next two years i WILL be a non smoker. i will!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:09 pm 
Chard Martyr

smoothie wrote:
well, i've managed to cut down to about 10 a day no problem, and i think i will try to cut down even more in a few weeks. i hope to be able to get down to 5 a day within the end of march. 10 cigarettes is a lot less than before (i've been at 20-30 a day for a looooooong time) - and 5 is even better.

this whole thing did actually make me feel at shaky grounds with my eating disorder issues, so i am quite happy that i have managed to cut down and feel okay. it annoys the hell out of me, and makes me really sad that i have to think about my ED issues every single time i try to do healthy stuff - running, quitting coffee, quitting smoking.. but i know that not having an ED is SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT. so yeah. trying not to beat myself up about not quitting and taking it SLOW. which is quite hard, as i've always been an all or nothing person.

<3! You totally will!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 am 
Level 7 Vegan

smoothie wrote:
as i've always been an all or nothing person.

Yes you will!

Good job on cutting down. That's a really big cut! Almost half. Keep up the good work with slowing down!