| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eating is making me hungry (??)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Just looking for some insight here -- I am admittedly a terrible eater. I don't eat nutritionally unsound things, I just don't eat enough or eat often enough. This is primarily dictated by my severe chronic nausea, and that paired with a job where I was "in the field" (aka "client's homes" or schools, gov't offices, probation, etc...) all day, I basically didn't eat all day since it was easier than fielding a stomach attack while I was out, and then would get home at like 7:30 and have a big dinner. Awesome, right?

So I was off all last week and started a new job yesterday, and one of my goals has been to force myself to eat breakfast in the morning, then eat when I'm hungry throughout the day. Other than last Tuesday when I did actually force down some saltines but had horrible stomach pain, I have stuck to this. It is hard to fight past wanting to barf when I wake up and actually getting food down, but I've been doing it! What I'm finding, however, is that I'm getting really hungry throughout the day. This morning I had a banana for breakfast... then had whole wheat couscous with veggies and chickpeas, grapes, and toast for lunch... then I had pretzels and mustard when I got home... and I've got a stir fry with tofu and brown rice planned for dinner. I feel like I'm eating all the time, and I have no concept of whether this is a weird amount of food or not, my eating has been off for so long! Does eating more/eating breakfast really make you hungrier all day?

(And for anyone who might ask, I am not now and have never had an eating disorder. I'm not worried about the calories, this just seems really bizarre to me since I've gone so long just not eating all day!)

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Eating is making me hungry (??)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yes, if I skip breakfast, I can go through the early afternoon without realizing I should eat, but if I eat breakfast, I'm hungry and thinking about food by 10:30. And these days, breakfast tends to be a green smoothie and a bowl of steel cut oats, which should be plenty to keep me full, but the rumbles still kick in late morning.

I think your body gets used to fasting over night, and so it's easier to keep that going if you don't put anything in your stomach, but once you eat, you kick start your metabolism and your body wants food. But, that kick starting also means you're processing the food more efficiently, instead of your body being confused and hoarding whatever you do finally eat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Eating breakfast always kick starts my stomach. Skipping breakfast always seems to put my whole digestive system in pause. A green smoothie breakfast does very much the opposite. Your description sounds like a normal day of eating to me (without knowing exact quantities).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I definitely find this is the case. I eat breakfast pretty much every day and I always find myself hungry by 10:30 or so. Your meal plan sounds pretty normal to me, although I usually eat more for breakfast.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:08 pm 
Saggy Butt

Sounds like a normal day to me. Eating breakfast used to make me feel pretty nauseated as a teenager, but I made a habit of forcing myself to eat and have generally gotten over the problem. I tend to find that if I don't have breakfast, or if I skip a meal, I will feel awful for the rest of the day. I'll feel hungry, and can feel my body wanting food, but won't be able to bear the thought of eating and will have to force-feed myself. Missing a meal during a stressful period can mess up my eating pattern for the whole week! So I always try go keep lots of snacks and little meals around, especially things like nuts and nut butter. Clif bars are great for giving you the energy and protein you need when you're too busy to stop and eat something, or when you're out all day with no vegan food in sight.

I've never bothered to learn the exact scientific explanation for this, but I've read and heard in a lot of places that eating a big breakfast gets your metabolism going better, allowing you to burn more calories throughout the day. So theoretically if you eat more in the morning, you can eat more calories during the day without gaining weight from having eaten more calories than usual. I have noticed that among my friends, those who don't eat breakfast tend to be those who are struggling with weight issues. They are calorie counters who prefer not to waste their daily calorie allotment on boring old breakfast, and figure that a few fewer hours spent eating in the day is a good way of cheating the body out of eating all the food it wants. I've tried convincing them to eat breakfast, but it never works, even when I list off all the millions of things I've eaten that day to show them how it's possible to eat well without gaining weight. I suppose the lesson from this is to eat the way your body tells you, because tricking it is never going to work in the long term!

I know you said you weren't concerned about the weight issue, but in any case what you described above sounds to me like a normal day of eating. In fact, I'd normally eat more than that - I'd have oatmeal with the banana at breakfast, then I'd have snacks in between the other meals you mentioned. As long as you're not having problems with nausea, you should be fine. Personally, though, as a rule of thumb I find that whenever I'm nauseated the best cure is food.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:14 pm 
Dead by dawn

If I eat a small breakfast I do get hungry for lunch a lot sooner than with no breakfast. If I'm going to jumpstart my digestion with food in the morning, I do better with a hearty breakfast that's actually going to fill me up for awhile. Just a banana would definitely leave me hungrier than when I started. That said, without knowing quantities, the amount of food you ate yesterday is pretty solidly within the normal range... three meals and a snack.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:50 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

This is just getting annoying. I'm hoping that my body will adjust to me eating more and stop being STARVING ALL THE TIME!! I almost feel like it's going "Hey! You're eating! You haven't done this in years! Let's keep going!" I'm eating every 3 hrs and getting dysfunctionally low blood sugary starving if I don't eat. I don't think I've done this ever. Today was cereal for breakfast, more couscous/veg/beans, some stir fried veggies, oranges and grapes, and graham crackers with almond butter for lunch (that all fit into a laptop lunchbox), a fruit-and-nut bar and some toast for snacks, and I just had black bean soup with avocado and tortillas and FINALLY I feel full. I've been eating a lot of fiber and complex carbs and protein but it doesn't seem to keep me fuller longer than anything else. And I have to do it all again tomorrow?? Oof.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:38 am 
Huffs Nooch

yeah , it's weird but it makes sense (from others' and my experience at least). i'm pretty accustomed to eating soon after i wake up and depending on how much i eat i'm usually eating again withing several hours. but if i don'y eat anything in the morning i can go hours and hours and not even really feel hungry until i make myself eat. its like when you get hungry and you wait and you get so hungry you don't even feel hungry anymore and just forget all about eating. definitely probably has to do with the metabolism kickstart and keeping a steady blood sugar level going throughout the day. i used to never eat in the morning but i realized it was because i would barely eat throughout the day, eat a bunch at night, and not be hungry when i woke up. but now i eat less at night because i eat more during the day. so now i wake up HUNGRY usually. unless im having an off day or hormones are doing weird things.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think you should try calorie counting if youre concerned. To me this sounds like what a normal person should eat, so maybe a couple days of counting will reassure you that youre in the normal range.
Also I eat every 5 minutes, so feel lucky youre not actually hungry all the time like some of us!!

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]