| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:34 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have been exercising and eating healthier for just over a month and have gained 2 kilos. I usually eat around 1200-1400 calories a day and try to exercise for at least 45 minutes per day. Help!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:36 am 
Bathes in Braggs

first idea: have you gained muslce?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:40 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My arms have firmed up a bit.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:52 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

132.7kg this morning. Not bad considering the seriously carby oily meals I had last weekend. Next weeks aim is to be down into 131.something range.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:13 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

kittykins, check and see what your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is and make sure to eat above that-if you eat below you could just be starving your body into holding onto the weight.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:41 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have some scales which measure body fat & muscle. The weeks I didn't lose weight I usually had increased my muscle percentage & muscle weighs more than fat. It helped me to keep positive when the scales seemed to have got stuck.

There is a TV programme on at the moment & it is called Secret Eaters. All the people on it are usually underestimating their calorie intake by half.

Often, in the introduction, the people say they can't understand how they have put on weight & that they think they maybe under eating. They are always shocked to find out the actual results. Last week it was really interesting as one of the women on it was training for a marathon but she was still gaining weight.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:07 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Kittikins -- there is reliable TEE (total energy expenditure) calculator here. It's kind of amazing how many calories we need to just go about our daily lives! It sounds like your calories are too low, so your body is hanging on for dear life. The gain probably isn't all muscle (the upper limit of muscle growth for a woman is about 2.5 lbs/month, and that's with focused strength training for hypertrophy).

I got that calculator from a wonderful website called GoKaleo.com (she's not Paleo -- she's veg*n, the name is a goof). The author is a 40-year-old trainer and weightlifter. She was obese, unhealthy, and sedentary for most of her life. Then she got sick and tired of being sick and tired ... she turned to a balanced plant-based diet and strength training, which turned her life around. I recommend reading her series on metabolic health.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I can't remember if I've suggested this on this thread before (it's too long to look back!), but I will anyway...

I'm finally having success with a program called Inside Out Weight Loss. It's a free program delivered via podcast, promoting self-discovery and behaviour change via positive psychology, meditation and neurolinguistic programming. It's also available distilled into a book called Full-Filled, developed to be used in a 6-week timeline. It's not a food plan, not an exercise program, and not a fad. No empty promises of dropping 10lbs in a week. It's purpose is to make weight-loss pleasurable and effortless by helping you to release the struggle.

Anyways, thought I'd share. It's free. :-)

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:57 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

For those of you who don't belong to a gym: What are some of your favorite ways to exercise? I don't have the budget for a gym or classes at the moment, but I'm looking for some fun ideas. I have a kettlebell, one of those tension band thingies, a yoga mat, an exercise ball and of course my own body and the ability to balance it off various things. If you use DVDs, do you have any specific favorites? I used to go running a lot, but my knee is kind of messed up at the moment so that's probably out for now.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:18 pm 

Limone, I used to love zumba for the wii. I found it fantastic. I've been wary of using it this time round because I have a hyper dog that would just try kill me by joining in. Putting her outside when I'm doing it just isn't an option because when I'm home she just wants to be beside me. I'm considering taking up classes locally instead.

I do a lot of walking and try take a different route everyday. I try not do the same walk two days running so I don't get bored and then I have different kind of hills on each walk..... some steep some a slower incline just so my legs get a different work out. I live in a hilly area with lot's of forest walks so I'm spoiled.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:48 pm 
Semen Strong

I've been struggling with allergies and asthma flare-ups and just let tracking go by the wayside. I haven't gained any, but I haven't lost either.

Restarting. No Shame :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:52 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I wish I had a wii! Alas, something like that is not really in the budget either. I do a fair bit of walking, as I live in NYC/don't own a car, but it's not like the hills around where I live are mountainous or anything.

Having a hyper dog sounds like it could be good exercise... my old roommate had a rather hyper pup, and that guy would let me chase him around the yard for hours.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:00 pm 
Semen Strong

AlwaysHungry wrote:
I can't remember if I've suggested this on this thread before (it's too long to look back!), but I will anyway...

I'm finally having success with a program called Inside Out Weight Loss. It's a free program delivered via podcast, promoting self-discovery and behaviour change via positive psychology, meditation and neurolinguistic programming. It's also available distilled into a book called Full-Filled, developed to be used in a 6-week timeline. It's not a food plan, not an exercise program, and not a fad. No empty promises of dropping 10lbs in a week. It's purpose is to make weight-loss pleasurable and effortless by helping you to release the struggle.

Anyways, thought I'd share. It's free. :-)

I love NLP and will definitely check this out!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tofulish wrote:
I've been struggling with allergies and asthma flare-ups and just let tracking go by the wayside. I haven't gained any, but I haven't lost either.

Restarting. No Shame :)

shame, never!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've had a rough week, my dog has quickly declined and we are going to be helping her move on, Wednesday night. So obviously I've been really sad. And been eating crepe. Which I keep coming back here and saying. Sigh.

I started a no-processed-foods challenge with my friend Katey today, hopefully that will jump-start me back into consistent losses. Today I'm having:
Kale smoothie with homemade cashew milk
Hummus and celery
a grapefruit
1 oz almonds
a few dates & prunes
salad w/ cashew dressing, and brown rice, zucchini and mashed avocado for dinner

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Sorry to hear about your dog, geeksweetheart. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:03 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

In the exercise class I go to, Limone, we do a bunch of fake kettle bell squats with 10lb weights. There's a squat with weight to one side out side of leg, come up switch the weight to the other hand and squat holding the weight on the other side outside leg. We also do squat and upright rows making sure your elbows are higher than shoulders and swings where you squat and swing the weight overhead. Where's 8Ball, she's the kettle bell queen!!

Is it a resistance band with handles or more like a rubber band?

Geeksweetheart, I am so sorry you're dealing with that. I hope the no-processed food proves a delicious distraction. Huge hugs to you.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:53 am 

Limone wrote:
I wish I had a wii! Alas, something like that is not really in the budget either. I do a fair bit of walking, as I live in NYC/don't own a car, but it's not like the hills around where I live are mountainous or anything.

Having a hyper dog sounds like it could be good exercise... my old roommate had a rather hyper pup, and that guy would let me chase him around the yard for hours.

I'm nearly sure this dvd kit is from the same company as my wii game. Same logo and they both say zumba fitness. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zumba-Fitness-Exercise-toning-sticks/dp/B002HZ4XMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368514329&sr=8-1&keywords=zumba+fitness. Maybe this would be an option?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:43 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

high intensity interval training could be good for you, Limone! I think there's a website called thedailyhiit.com though I've avoided it because it's the same folk who did BodyRock (which I did for a while, but stopped because I really disliked the hypersexuality-the workouts are really good though and mostly body strength/using things you have at hand)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:06 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks for the suggestions you guys! The resistance band I have has handles. I could certainly do a Zumba DVD... it might peas off my downstairs neighbors, but they sort of deserve it haha.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Ok, Limone. I was wondering because I do band walks with the rubber band one to strengthen my gluteus medius, which is supposed to help with knee issues. Hip strengthening are good for knee issues because the gluteus muscles help keep your femur straight (or something), per a trainer I worked with.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

That's very helpful, thank you!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:08 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My apartment's gym is absolute shiitake, so I've been working out at home with resistance bands and my yoga mat.

I use the New Rules of Lifting for Women book, and I can modify most of the first phase with resistance bands.

For DVD's / cardio, I recently downloaded Cathe Friedrich's Low Impact series. Really hard stuff for low impact! Some of the DVD's need her special equipment, but I do them without. I like the barre class.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

assilembob wrote:
Finally, FINALLY, under 200. FINALLY!

ONEDERLAND!!!

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:28 am 
Not NOT A Furry

So after feeling really low for awhile, I'm feeling hopeful and positive again and ready to focus on taking excellent care of myself.

I just found out I'm having surgery in 1 month, so I'm determined to do as much damage as I realistically can before I'm forced to take it easy for 2 weeks.

I'm loving MFP. I've programmed it to nag me with notifications if I haven't tracked my meals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 144  Next