| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hollie, can you give me a rough breakdown of how you do Starch Solution? Like, how much carb/grain compared to vegetables and beans and fat? I swear I read the book, but apparently I'm really stupid and just don't quite get it. I think too many different plans are melding together in my head.

Also do you eat pasta or bread? I know he talks about people really being comforted by one kind of grain or potatoes or whatever their culture or childhood was full of, and I'm like yep, mine is pasta. But I don't think that is as good of a choice as brown rice! Or potatoes, or something else that's flour-less.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:27 pm 
WRETCHED

I really don't want to poo poo something someone is excited about but do you eat lots of legumes on starch solution? I was reading this the other day:
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein

And the basics are that vegans can get enough protein no problem but Lysine could be an issue for some restrictive vegan diets. People who burn a lot of calories(and thus eat a lot of calories) won't have an issue but the average person may want to make sure they are eating enough foods high in Lysine.
Quote:
Per serving, legumes and seitan are the foods highest in the amino acid lysine. Tofu, tempeh, soy meats, lentils, and seitan are the highest, followed by other legume foods. Quinoa, amaranth, pistachios, and pumpkin seeds are also decent sources of lysine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:28 am 
BAD PASS

Amy wrote:
Hollie, can you give me a rough breakdown of how you do Starch Solution? Like, how much carb/grain compared to vegetables and beans and fat? I swear I read the book, but apparently I'm really stupid and just don't quite get it. I think too many different plans are melding together in my head.

Also do you eat pasta or bread? I know he talks about people really being comforted by one kind of grain or potatoes or whatever their culture or childhood was full of, and I'm like yep, mine is pasta. But I don't think that is as good of a choice as brown rice! Or potatoes, or something else that's flour-less.

I don't eat bread when I'm on it, though I don't think it's forbidden. I just don't wanna eat bread that isn't slathered in peanut butter or EB or something else fatty. You can also eat pasta on it, but whole grain is preferred, I think. I don't think non whole grain is NOT allowed, though.

I mostly eat potatoes when I'm on it. Plus beans, rice, and veggies. I think McDougall's recipes are boring and just...bleak. But there are a couple blogs that follow his guidelines and have much tastier recipes, like these:

http://potatostrong.com/plant-based-low ... l-recipes/
http://www.brandnewvegan.com/
http://www.rawtillwhenever.com/recipes/

Oh, and I did get up and go for a run this morning. I hated every second of it, though. It wasn't hot yet, but it was sooo humid. Yuck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:59 am 
WRETCHED

If you can eat beans, I'd also look at Fat Free vegan, not that everything there is oil free but she is definitely low oil. Her recipes are modeled after Eat to Live which limits starches to a certain extent but also maybe you can add potatoes or whatever to make it starchier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:33 am 
BAD PASS

Oh yeah! I use that one too!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:35 am 
Ninja Master

I'm on my fourth week of the 5:2 and i'm enjoying it way more than I thought. Today's a fast day and now that I'm in the swing of it and plan ahead, it's really not bad at all. My appetite on non-fast days has decreased too.

I haven't weighed myself yet, I am waiting til Friday. Hopefully I will have lost at least half a stone (7lbs).

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:42 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

does anyone have any tips for quick/easy/healthy lunch?

im literally on the 3rd day of realizing i have nothing to eat in my house for lunch and im starving. i just went to the grocery store the other day so im not even sure what my problem is.

i typically eat leftovers from dinner but i guess we've been eating everything lately.

i just ate ramen........again. and besides being a complete salt bomb it doesnt really fill me up for the rest of hte day.

i have plenty of cookies in my house. :-/

i was thinking of making a batch of chik pea "tuna" salad but i usually put a ton of veganaise in it and then eat it on bread. not the healthiest.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

As far as quick healthy lunches go, I am trying to eat salad for lunch every day. To make it easy, I wash the lettuce and dry it all at once. Then I chop it and store it in a couple quart sized mason jars in the fridge. It doesn't go bad as quickly that way and I have several days of salad greens ready to go. I add whatever veggies I have around and some kind of protein. Usually it's half a cup of lentils or chickpeas. Having a big bowl of chickpeas in the fridge saves me a lot of time. My kid will eat them plain too. I also am perpetually pressing, marinating, and/or baking basic tofu from AFR. Also great on salads, wraps, over rice, or plain. Store bought tempeh bacon is also a lunch standard for us. Shelled edamame in the freezer is a quick snack or helps make a meal fast. Anyway, batch cooking some simple proteins helps me always have something on hand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thats a great idea. i should keep cooked tofu around. it's one of the few things BabyPunk will eat semi regularly and i love salads

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:09 pm 
BAD PASS

I made a curry from Minimalist Baker for the recipe challenge, and just sauteed everything in water instead of oil so it fits the guidelines. It's onion, garlic, carrot, lite coconut milk (okay, iffy on if that fits the guidelines), and spices blended into a creamy sauce with chickpeas. I had it over rice (with peas that are mostly for color).

I think my problem with My Fitness Pal is that it keeps giving me more and more calories for all the steps I get or if I work out, so that the calories I have "left" are so high, I know that whatever I eat isn't gonna be that many, so my brain tells me I don't "have to" log it. It's a pain in the butt to enter food on there if it's not something pre-packaged (unless the recipe is already there or online already), so uh, I had 1,563 calories left for the day.....why would I bother logging this curry? It's like 400 calories, MAX. ...Anyway, this is why I keep drifting off from food logging. (PSP, I know.)

*okay, I bit the bullet and logged it in another tab while I was typing this and it was 376 calories including the rice. BAM!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:41 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I too am trying to up my salads for lunch game - my tricky thing is that veg and protein aren't usually filling enough for me but I am good to go if I keep some cooked quinoa or rice in the fridge to dole out in smallish portions.

A bit lazypants but I have come to find I like the garlic and pepper smoked tofu at my local grocery store and I am going to try and keep it around on the house for emergency salad toppings or sandwich fillings (though I want to reduce my bread intake a bit so I am going to try to avoid sammiches for a while). Although I keep eating it in slices any time I pull it out of the fridge.

LisaPunk, sometimes when I have leftover IDI scrambled chickpeas I find I enjoy it as a cold chickpea salad with a lot less vegenaise than if I was making it straight up. I don't know if it is because the chickpeas have already been mashed with the lemon juice or water and therefore it only needs a dab of mayo to bind it up vs trying to mash the chickpeas with just the mayo takes more work? Also the lemony flavour adds some zip.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

how do you guys eat salads for lunch and not get super hungry 1 hour later? I feel like i'm doing something wrong because salads fill me up really fast and then i'm STARVING in like 45mins. I usually put a bunch of different greens, sunflower seeds, and avocado or baked tofu and then annie's goddess dressing (full fat, like 1-2tbspns) in an average salad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:45 pm 
BAD PASS

Yeah, I have to add something, like a chopped up veggie patty or some torn-up slices of Tofurky. On the days I forget my lunch or just didn't make anything, I order a "bowl of greens" (spinach and arugula) from the kitchen and add a bunch of stuff I keep in the break room fridge. Pepperoncini and FYH Blue Cheese (which I guess I gotta lay off for a while) and carrots and/or tomato and some sort of protein.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i usually make a giant salad and add many things to it like tofu, avocado, walnuts, etc

if its pretty large it will fill me up for awhile.

i cant snack on veggies though. some people say that like carrot and celery sticks are a great healthy snack but those just make me hungry and cranky like 5 minutes later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yeah, my salads are pretty serious. Always kale, romaine, beans or lentils, roasted beets, AVOCADO, and 4-5 other veggies. My favorite toppings: red peppers, capers, tomatoes, onions, carrots, cabbage, artichokes, roasted sweet potato, olives. The avocado is very important.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:02 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

same here with the salads being pretty serious. usually i eat them out of a large mixing bowl and use 1 head of romaine lettuce, a big handful of spinach and another big handful of arugula + beans, tofu or tempeh, half an avocado, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, red cabbage, some croutons, parma (sometimes, especially when i make caesar salad) and dressing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Same. I will add 1 cup of those cooked lentils from trader joes. And the salad I eat is huge. I use a stainless steel tiffin for my lunch pail and that thing is seriously packed. It's usually 1/2-3/4 a bag of the TJ baby kale, a handful of shredded carrots, a bunch of grape tomatoes and some other veggies. The protein is the key though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:24 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

so i think ive lost about 2-3 lbs in my month+ of working out and doing weight machines at the gym. on the one hand im psyched because even though it's only a small amount weight wise i do feel slimmer and i had to put a belt on one of the pairs of shorts i have been wearing.
as i posted in the playground forum im relatively convinced i wont lose a ton of weight until my daughter is totally done breastfeeding.

the amount of weight i lost and the amount of effort ive put into working out doesnt match up but i guess im ok with that. it's frustrating but im so proud of myself for working out as regularly as i have been for so long that im kind of on a workout high.

for various scheduling reasons this week i have not been to the gym since saturday (its thursday now) and im kinda freaking out because historically for me once i semi fall off the wagon a bit i fall all the way off and hard. as far as i know (unless my husband springs something on me) im going back tonight.

i havent changed my eating tons other than just trying not to eat all the extra crepe.

ive been so damn hungry all week and im not purposely dieting. for the aforementioned scheduling reasons i havent been cooking dinner much this week so ive had no lunch leftovers and i havent had a chance to prep salad stuff as suggested above so ive basically been in a house with no food for lunch all week. so im starving all the damn time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:19 pm 
BAD PASS

I'm not doing great at my big plan to eat better and work out more. This heat wave is wrecking my energy level. I just feel really lethargic and headachey and sweaty, basically.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hollie wrote:
I'm not doing great at my big plan to eat better and work out more. This heat wave is wrecking my energy level. I just feel really lethargic and headachey and sweaty, basically.

I'm with you there. I've still been doing treadmill jogging, but I feel like I have no energy and I don't look forward to it anymore. It just seems like a chore most of the time. I think in part it's because I'm not getting outside for long walks on the weekend because it's just too damn hot and miserable. It's messing with my head. And there's still at least a month of super-hot weather to come.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:51 pm 
And you never will.

Zula wrote:
I'm with you there. I've still been doing treadmill jogging, but I feel like I have no energy and I don't look forward to it anymore. It just seems like a chore most of the time. I think in part it's because I'm not getting outside for long walks on the weekend because it's just too damn hot and miserable. It's messing with my head. And there's still at least a month of super-hot weather to come.

It's been particularly bad the last couple of weeks! And the A/C at work (where I'm a server) is terrible and it sucks all of my energy and I have nothing left for exercise after I get off work :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:25 pm 

Same here! I have no a/c, so I'm not cooking at all and am just sitting still at home to try to avoid sweating. And when it's 90 out, I don't want to go out walking. Blerg.

I've been feeling almost-sorta motivated to check out a gym and try to get into weightlifting. I mean, I've been 0% interested in this for the last, oh, couple decades, and now I'm like 20% interested. Maybe it's the lure of the air conditioning.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:11 am 
Ninja Master

The UK had a mini heatwave this week and I was not in the mood to be creative at all so I ended up eating quite a bit of processed food. I still stuck to my 5:2 / calorie goals though.

Had my 4 week weigh in today and I'm down 11 lbs, pretty happy with that! :) Now I just need to start doing some exercise, back permitting, as that always helps me when I'm losing weight.

Food & beauty blog: http://alienontoast.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/alienontoast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZl0Q3szfT7TXQOkVCYypA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:25 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I lost some weight. I don't have a scale in NYC so I don't know how much but the skirt I'm wearing today fits better.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:28 am 

I'm getting really frustrated. I weighed in yesterday, ready to try again, then didn't eat much (due to working late and heat). Weighed in again today and I gained a pound. I know it's only one day, and my weight fluctuates a LOT, but it's just annoying. It feels like nothing I do makes any difference one way or the other. Yesterday and I had a salad with quinoa for lunch and it upset my stomach. ???

I might be ready to try the Starch Solution, even though I'm dragging myself kicking and screaming on the way there. :p (Like even now while typing this, I'm not totally on board.) I just want my damn pants to fit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191  Next