| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:28 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

VeganinBerlin wrote:
That's horrible, I'm sorry. Im so glad my PG said "the levels arent everything" because in the hospital they told me they wouldnt up the dosage unless my levels were off.

I have gained two pounds... I hope it's not permanent. Do you eat gluten? A lot of people tell me to cut it out "just to see how it goes" but Im really unsure. I used to have an eating disorder and cutting out food just like that seems a bit dangerous.

Did you just get diagnosed? Once your levels are back in normal range you should be able to lose the weight. You're really lucky it has only been two pounds! I do eat gluten. I've never been told not to or that it would help. Maybe I'll ask at my next appt. I got nervous about eating soy and taking synthroid but my dr. assured me it would only throw my levels off if I suddenly started eating it or suddenly stopped eating it.

Please don't let my story of many years of unmanageable thyroid levels scare you. I am not the norm. My mom and dad both have hashimoto's and have been happy and healthy on the same dose for years. It may take a bit to find that perfect level for you but after that
you will most likely be good as new. I also have other health problems contributing to everything.

I've been doing good maintaining during the holidays. That has been my only goal for the past month. So...yay! Maybe this will be the first winter in years that I don't pack on the pounds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:42 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I meant I gained 2 pounds this week not in general. No... I gained 40 pounds. As I said, I lost 20 this year when I was feeling rather good on the medicine but then everything got out of whack again. I was diagnosed two years ago. They actually figured out something was wrong in the eating disorder clinic because I was overweight (recovering bulimic), eating 1600 calories a day and gaining weight like crazy.

Regarding gluten I think it's because 25% of hashimoto's patients also got other autoimmune diseases and so it's linked to soy and gluten. Although I guess I should just get checked for gluten intolerance and get over with it. Maybe some day. I have spent too much time in hospitals for this year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:47 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Wow, that must have been really hard for you emotionally, VeganinBerlin. I can't imagine trying to focus on recovery and having a healthy relationship with food and then have to deal with the Hashimoto's. I really hope both you and Amajorrecords are able to find the right levels to get you feeling good again.

I was eating pretty well, getting a good amount of veggies in, but then my mom sent cookies. They're amazing; I'm not going to sweat it. I'm also not going to the gym tonight because my dad and I lugged a 90lb TV up to my 4th fl apartment. I think I'll do some gentle stretching and call it a night.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks. It's a thin line between obsessing and weightloss for me. But right now mentally it's okay. Though I just read a Fuhrmann book and I was thinking about implanting more of his food "rules". Or maybe I just need more green smoothies for breakfast...

Cookies! Yes! I've been making so many cookies this month, too. As I am giving them to family and my boyfriend and my boyfriend's family... and of course I had to try some.
I also made these http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8500/8292 ... e6df2a.jpg (not my picture though) yesterday. It took me 5-6 hours but it's worth it. My boyfriend ate his in 10 minutes. But then again he almost always does...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:07 pm 

VeganinBerlin...I was actually diagnosed as a teenager while staying in an inpatient psych unit. Apparently it was a routine test they ran because Hashimoto's causes severe depression. With that said I can't imagine battling an eating disorder on top of it. Big big hugs!

Until your levels are in check try not to worry about the numbers too much. Easier said than done right?

Speaking of autoimmune diseases. I went to the GI today...finally! He is testing me for some crazy autoimmune diseases and even lymphoma. I thought he was going to tell me I was having problems with a certain food or just had really bad reflux. fork.fork.fork.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:32 pm 
Inflexitarian

Victoire wrote:
wow! i'm so inspired by all of your progress!

i'm down about 17 pounds since July, but I've been stuck there for a week or so now. I'd really like to get to an even 20 pounds, and then set some small goals from there.

i seem to eat well all day long, but get home exhausted (i'm a teacher) and it's like "fork dinner! let's eat whatever i can grab quickly." it's easy not to snack at work since i only get 3 very precious breaks throughout the day.

also, i've fallen off the working out wagon. i can't find my iPod... so that is one reason. give me some inspiration PPK!

I'm a teacher too. I do well sometimes, but end up eating up the house when I get home. I stress eat. I've found that using myfitnesspal (an ap on my iphone, also it's online) keeps me honest and helps me from going too crazy. I also stick to working out before school, which means I get up wicked early but I'm just too tired after school.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:09 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ok, not too bad this week. Since I was fairly well behaved I am now 132.5lbs.

I should be fine over the Christmas period. I won't be going anywhere and I rarely keep a stock of sugary food in the house because I have no impulse control when it comes to them.

My heart goes out to you guys with thyroid problems. It must be so frustrating when it comes to weight gain. Being on meds that make me crave bad things is hard enough but at least I know that when I avoid those things my weight will be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:52 pm 

Thanks daisy chain and good job!! I wish I could just keep the sweets out of my house. My husband is a sugar fiend. He used to be a full blown omni so I couldn't eat anything he brought into the house. Now we keep a strict vegan house and he occasionally eats eggs or cows milk outside the house. Unforatuntely now I'm crazy tempted with all the goodies. Plus I've been baking like mad for my daughter and for extended family. I thought I was just maintaining but apparently it was just water weight from my stupid period. So yay! I lost a pound this week.

Battling the thyroid and weight sucks. I got diagnosed at 14. I am now 30. It gave me so many eating and body issues. I can happily say while I still have 20-30 more pounds id like to lose going vegan has me at my lowest weight since middle school. I have a normal bmi. It feels awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I used to be able to keep sweet things in the house and not be tempted but since I was put on this tablet once I start on something sweet it is incredibly hard to stop. The craving is actually completely consuming and all I can think about is eating something sweet. No amount of fruit will ease that craving. Easiest way to deal with it is just not have anything in the house. I try do one raw meal a day because I feel better, more energetic and more able to battle the cravings when I am well behaved. It's such a pain that misbehaving is so much fun.

Well done on the weight loss!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:04 pm 

What a crummy side effect! I hope the medication is helping whatever is ailing you! :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:12 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

linanil wrote:
When you start weight training, you'll tend to retain more water which will cause the scale to go up. Are you measuring with a tape measure?

I'm not measuring with a tape measure, but I know I should. There's just something about seeing those numbers going down. Actually, my pants feel tighter, so I don't even get it...I'm working so hard!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:47 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Amajorrecords wrote:
What a crummy side effect! I hope the medication is helping whatever is ailing you! :)

Only at times. It's an antidepressant.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:03 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Haven't check in for a while, thought I'd share:
-26.2lbs since February
Still using myfitnesspal fairly consistently
Zumba 1x/week, calisthenics or weights about 2x/week, sporadic long walks
Nutrition Goals: 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein

I had a looong plateau over the summer (after approx -20lbs) but have lost a few more and toned up a bit in the last couple weeks. The best part is fitting into my old jeans! I sound like a commercial but I really missed those pants. I'm a size 5 in most cases, can fit into a few 3's (that I had probably stretched out gradually as I gained). I'd like to be a comfortable 3 I think.

Over the long haul I think sticking with a balance of nutrients has been important. On days when I'm hungrier I eat more, and don't concern myself (too much) with calories as long as I'm staying close to the percentages. Recently, adding more activity like dance parties with my toddler pal or just doing a few pushups on a lazy afternoon has made a difference. Reducing my Diet Coke consumption has too! That combined with increasing water intake has been challenging.

Sending good vibes to all ya'll! Side effects of medications are no fun. What I take decreases appetite, it seems, until it wears off and then I'm a bear.

*Edited to add*
My "goal" is to lose another 10 or so. Haha that's not vague...it's just that the size 3/feeling confident is more significant. And long term I want to maintain a nutritious diet and active lifestyle. My physical/blood work came back stellar and I want to keep it that way. Weight fluctuates so I'm going for a general range rather than a set number.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:16 pm 
Tofu Pup

Been really great reading this thread. I've always been the vego trying to lose weight and some people look at you like you're crazy if you're overweight and vegetarian but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that struggles.

I'm currently transitioning to a vegan diet and I have been trying to lose weight for some time. Even though I know that being Vegan is far from a weight loss diet I think it may help me a bit as almost every single junk food I eat is dairy based. Milk chocolate, iced coffees (luckily I asked my local this week if they could make me a soy one and they said no... blessing in disguise!) and cheese are my biggest junk-food issues so cutting them out should hopefully go a long way. I know there are analogues but I can get by on just a couple of squares of dark chocolate (even though I LOVE it the intensity gets me by) whereas with milk chocolate half a block can disappear before I blink.

I had some success losing weight early this year - knocked off about 10kgs but then my thyroid function plummeted and I am the heaviest I've ever been. I really need to do something.

I'm also doing this program called the 12 week body transformation with my sister in February (it's an Aussie thing) so it should help having someone to keep me in check. I'll be veganizing a lot of recipes though!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:37 pm 
Impressive boner

I'm easing myself back into following some sort of healthy eating/exercise plan. I'm tired of being uncomfortable and self-conscious about my body fat and really want to reduce it. At the moment I'm being conscious of what, how and when I'm eating and how boredom or unhappiness affect that.

I haven't trained since last Tuesday however I just went back to work after three months off and it's exhausting me. I'm resolute to eventually train on every that I'm at work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I stood on my scales this morning and it went completely berserk. Not exaggerating..... it gave me about 10 different weights between 127lbs and 133.4lbs. Going to try again tomorrow. I did behave for the most part over Christmas since I didn't have as many temptations around me as I would have previous years so if I am up it won't be bad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:29 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

daisychain wrote:
I stood on my scales this morning and it went completely berserk. Not exaggerating..... it gave me about 10 different weights between 127lbs and 133.4lbs. Going to try again tomorrow. I did behave for the most part over Christmas since I didn't have as many temptations around me as I would have previous years so if I am up it won't be bad.

That os a big difference. Do you have access to a Dr type scale? There is one at my gym. Sometimes pharmacies have them too. I only weigh myself on these types of scales because (provided they are in working order) they are the most accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The pharmacy one is even more dodgy looking thank mine! I didn't have time to inspect it properly to see if there was something wrong with it or was there something under the scales that could have thrown it off like that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

you know what's great? going shopping at old navy, their vanity sizing is cuhrazie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:34 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Their sizes are all over the place! Drives me crazy. Most of their clothes do run big, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

they are huuuuuuuuge!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:02 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I find so much ON stuff at the thrift store (where I do like 75% of my clothes shopping). A lot of it is nearly new. There's something about Old Navy that makes people want to get rid of it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hate their jeans, while I like that i'm a size 4 at their store i hate the cut/fit and how much stretch is in their jeans. Though i remember my first pair of "cool" jeans, I was 12 years old and it was maybe my first thing that wasn't a hand me down (could be hyperbole but this is how i remember it) These little flares with a button fly from old navy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:31 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

fupapack wrote:
I hate their jeans, while I like that i'm a size 4 at their store i hate the cut/fit and how much stretch is in their jeans. Though i remember my first pair of "cool" jeans, I was 12 years old and it was maybe my first thing that wasn't a hand me down (could be hyperbole but this is how i remember it) These little flares with a button fly from old navy.

Old Navy's clothes were nicer when I was in high school over a decade ago! I had some cute, decent quality jeans from there back in the day. But yeah, now everything is waaaay stretchy. I stopped shopping there after getting rid of a couple of tops that stretched out considerably after a couple of wears.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i'm doing well! my body fat is increasing though, so likely i'm losing muscle :( which makes sense as i haven't exercised in over 2 weeks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 145  Next