| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:52 am 
Saggy Butt

I am revisiting the habit of keeping a food journal right now and that helps a bit with overeating, knowing I have to write it in my little notebook. I need to get better about portion size, but at least eyeballing something and being honest when I write it down has been eye-opening so far. I snack A LOT more than I thought I do!

I'm hoping that this habit - combined with switching up my workout routine - will help me eventually lose about 15 pounds. I'm trying to think about it in 5 pound chunks though... maybe with some kind of reward for myself when I hit each 5 pound mark (like nicer summer clothes - maybe even... SHORTS? Eek! ). So far I seem to have lost 2 pounds in about 3 weeks. :/ Slow and steady....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:09 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I like the idea of rewarding yourself to make it a more positive experience. When I lost 10 lbs. I went out and bought some new clothes that fit well (which made me feel great). Another positive reinforcement is to put on clothes that were previously too tight and now fit -- that's my favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:05 am 

wanted to post this cuz I'm super excited, the pic on the left, is me at 275 (after I'd lost 24 lbs) the pic on the right is me at 235, 64 lbs down total and wearing my new size 16 shirt!!!!!

Wooooo! haha :P

Also, don't forget I'm giving away AfR on my blog so be sure to check it out!

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:57 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Contrary to the no-smoking sign I'd say there is some smooookinnn' going on in that pic!! You go girl!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 pm 

hahaha, shoresie, thanks :P

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:51 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Awesome job, BWP!!! Super-cute shirt too!

I started working to lose weight in Dec 2009. Started off by going whole-foods organic. In March 2010, I went lacto-vegetarian, and on my 1 year veg-iversary last month, I "officially" went vegan (though by then, I was down to mostly vegan, with the exception of eating yogurt a couple times a month. I must be a mutant, but yogurt was harder to kick for me than cheese. I'm working on perfecting non-dairy yogurt at home. Haven't quite figured it out yet!). I also started running in April 2010 using the Couch to 5K plan. Ran my first 5K race in May 2010, my first 10K in March 2011, and I'll run my first long race (a 25K, 15.5 miles) in 2 weeks. YIKES!!

I'm down 104 pounds so far... 12 pounds to go till goal!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:14 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Amazing work beyondwillpower, epicorganic, and all!

I'm feeling a bit down as I've gained 3 pounds here lately, but I'm trying not to let it bother me too much. I'm just recommitting to eating clean, mostly fruits, veggies, and whole grains, and exercising more regularly.

I did have some really amazing food that I can't regret or think of as 'bad,' but I do think a bit more moderation would be key.

Also, I ran 10 miles last Sunday, so I know I'm STRONG anyway.

Anyone else have tips to deal with minor set backs?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:26 am 

ndpittman wrote:

Anyone else have tips to deal with minor set backs?

I don't think of them as setbacks so much as tradeoffs. Like - say there's a big family gathering. I'll indulge and eat some crazy deliciousness, knowing it will cost me a week on the scale. And that's OK - because there's really no finish line. It's not like, when I hit my goal weight, I can stop watching what I eat and stop exercising and indulge every day. The day after I hit my goal weight will look like any other day of the past year of my life!

So I'll trade a week of eating clean and green for that day of goodies, and it's all good :) If I'm really ambitious, I'll throw some extra workouts in to get back on point sooner.... but... well, that doesn't often happen. Not enough hours in the day!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:57 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm also at a setback stage...I haven't had time to work out due to the way my finals prep schedule is going...my free time comes past when I can run outside. I'm up 4 pounds...but today is a new day and I'm working hard to be healthy. I had slipped back into the vending machine/sugar issue. I feel better when I'm low sugar and exercising but it is so easy to get off track! Today I am back onto my healthy lifestyle. take that, unwanted 4 pounds!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:20 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Working at a bakery does bad things. I gained back an inch from my waist... but I'm still down one inch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:00 pm 

I love your POV, epicorganic. My dad came to visit, and it was so nice to spend time with him, have a few beers, and eat some delicious food (and desserts!). Now he's back home, and I'm getting back on track. I have to remember that it's not a race to a finish line and that this is just my life now. I don't want to go back to lying around eating cookies any more than I want to go back to eating non-vegan, or getting winded climbing a flight of stairs.

You've definitely helped me get back things back into perspective. I'm going to remember that and just how I feel instead of the numbers or pants sizes.

Fizzgig--I definitely know what you mean! I get into a vicious cycle with all processed food, but I feel like the more veggies I eat, the more I get into it because you really can feel a total difference, physically and mentally.

thisheregiraffe--Can't imagine working in a bakery! For the love of all things good. The smells!! They get me every time!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:52 am 

Auuuuuugh. So annoyed. I need to lose like 2-3 lbs by next thursday for my own personal comfort of being weighed for this study I'm involved in.

blah.

I wrote a blog about my weight loss reboot I'm doing if anyone cares to read it's here: http://beyondwillpower.blogspot.com/2011/04/when-your-schedule-is-insane-and.html it's about staying on plan when your days are crazy.

Anyhow, I'm rethinking my weight loss goal. I might post a blog about it later to get other people's ideas. I think maybe I want to lose 25 lbs less than my original goal. I have never been that small (149) as an adult, and I have recently been talking to some people who are around there, and even a little bigger, and I find their size to be too small for me. I'm thinking of maybe making my goal 175. I"m very curvy and I'd like to stay that way. If my boobs went below a DD I think I'd cry. haha. :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:05 pm 
Ninja Master

beyondwillpower: I think it's good to rethink goals sometimes. Sometimes what we think is right when we start doesn't feel right anymore once you lose some of the weight. I've raised my goal too, I think I would be too small if I went for my original goal. I like my boobs too, I dont want to lose them altogether!!

Today for the first time in about 10 years, I fitted into a pair of size UK14 shorts that I bought last summer. They didn't fit when I bought them and now they fit lovely!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:24 pm 

I've been thinking about raising my goal as well! Right now I'm just trying to focus on eating right and getting some good work outs in, but if I don't lose those last 8lbs. I think I won't beat myself up about it.

Just read this blog post and thought you all might enjoy it. This is definitely where I am as I struggle with my last 8lbs.

http://weightloss.health.com/2011/04/19/stop-slacking-off-on-your-diet/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:31 pm 

ndpittman wrote:

Just read this blog post and thought you all might enjoy it. This is definitely where I am as I struggle with my last 8lbs.

http://weightloss.health.com/2011/04/19/stop-slacking-off-on-your-diet/

Thanks for the link! Good read. It's almost scary how much of this process is mind-over-matter.

As of this morning, I'm 10# from goal, -106# so far. I've never hit a weight loss goal before (this being the third time in my life I've lost more than 70#). It's so wildly different this time that I don't even worry about not hitting goal. This is just my life now!

One thing I've noticed lately that I really do NOT want to fall into... I'm training for a 15.5 mile running race (25K). I've been training since the first of the year, and the past 5 weeks or so have included "long runs" (yesterday, I ran 13 miles). There's huge calorie burn involved, even with the mid-run refueling. Last night after the run, I attended a (very non-vegan) poker game and ended up having chips and salsa for dinner. (I hadn't planned ahead). What I was thinking as I went back for seconds, though, was, "I burned a ton of calories today - I can eat some more chips." And it's like... well, yeah, I can, but it would be much better if I planned ahead and made healthier food choices.

Exercise is a great thing, and sometimes planning ahead means throwing in some extra calorie burn in order to explicitly enjoy a tasty treat - but I don't want to get in the habit of trading off my hard work for food rewards. I'd rather food be fuel, and rewards be primarily unrelated to food.

I guess it's all a matter of mindset!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:40 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've decided that the journal keeping is not really doing it for me anymore - if I do end up going off track I beat myself up about it and then skip writing things down for a couple of days and eat whatever the fork I want. Then I'm all 'Oops. Better get back on track again...' and it starts all over. Silliness!

So I've set goals in terms of exercise and eating habits each week for the next 12 weeks. I'm thinking of doing a weigh in each week as well as trying on old clothes to see where I'm at. This week I'm getting back on the running wagon - I'll be doing a couple of 5k runs. My eating goal this week is to cut down my sugar consumption. I know it's useless for me to try to cut it out completely (I keep trying and failing!) so it's got to be gradual.

epicorganic, I hear you on the 'rewarding' thing! I do that too to a certain extent and it's an easy trap to fall into. At the very least, I do try to make an effort to make my 'extra' calories something that's good for me and not just empty junk. For example, I'll eat more hummus than I need to, but I'll have it with veggies instead of chips or pitas. I know what you mean about wanting the reward to be less about food! I keep telling myself that when I get down to my goal size / weight I will reward myself with a nice new wardrobe, which will last much longer and be more satisfying and fulfilling than the extra piece of chocolate ;) sometimes that works.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

sneakers wrote:
So I've set goals in terms of exercise and eating habits each week for the next 12 weeks. I'm thinking of doing a weigh in each week as well as trying on old clothes to see where I'm at. This week I'm getting back on the running wagon - I'll be doing a couple of 5k runs. My eating goal this week is to cut down my sugar consumption. I know it's useless for me to try to cut it out completely (I keep trying and failing!) so it's got to be gradual.

this. Passover/finals has been making me nuts and not take the time to take care of myself. Yesterday I ate pretty well, much lower sugar because I had fruit and that sort of sweetness instead of something really sugary...although I did have the end of my bag of chocolate chips, but I figure now they're gone and I just won't buy more. And today I got a coffee instead of a latte, so I am working on making just little changes that are healthier. And Saturday I got back to the gym which felt great. Today I will go again in about 45 minutes. I feel ugh that I'm not in as good shape as I was, but I figure I'm working on it and I will get there again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:48 pm 

Fizzgig wrote:
And today I got a coffee instead of a latte, so I am working on making just little changes that are healthier.

The weather here is warming up nicely, so I've been getting iced coffee with a splash of soy--it makes a big difference compared to my usual soy latte.

Actually, today I had green tea instead. I think those are the sneaky little choices where calories can add up!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:07 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I am trying to work the weight loss thing (I gained a lot of weight, and it's really getting me down to notice how badly things fit and so on). I've used MyPlate to track in the past, and I think I want to get back into doing that, but I feel like I remember someone mentioning some other tracking site that a bunch of PPKers have used and put vegan meal info into. Am I remembering that correctly? I couldn't find it anywhere, but who knows. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and do you remember what site it is?

I want to work on this. I'm really unhappy with my body right now, and I used to actually be pretty okay with it, despite a skewed perception of my weight/appearance. I want that back.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:22 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Woohoo! I just reached my first goal I set a few months ago! I fit back into a pair of non-stretch Tommy Hilfiger jeans that my friend gave to me after she lost weight. I JUST fit into them when she gave them to me, but then I gained about 15 pounds afterwards (combination of a bike accident I was in where I hurt my arm and didn't want to make my own food and comfort eating to make me feel better about it and the self-esteem issues I was having while in an Acting Conservatory).

I had lost a small amount of weight and gained a lot of muscle after being in roller derby for five months, but after my bike accident in August I ended up gaining almost 20 lbs peaking just after New Years. I went vegan right before New Years and didn't lose any weight (cookies) but I've started making more responsible choices about comfort eating and have become a lot more happy than I was last year.

Now to get back to where I was pre-accident!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:29 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

DarthCupcake wrote:
I feel like I remember someone mentioning some other tracking site that a bunch of PPKers have used and put vegan meal info into. Am I remembering that correctly? I couldn't find it anywhere, but who knows. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and do you remember what site it is?

Are you thinking of Spark People? Quite a few PPKers are on there & I've inputted a lot of AFR recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:08 pm 
Impressive boner

I'm having my first proper appointment tomorrow afternoon with a personal trainer, but I somehow managed to hurt my left foot last night through over-zealous skanking to Madness and Specials.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:20 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

jojo wrote:
DarthCupcake wrote:
I feel like I remember someone mentioning some other tracking site that a bunch of PPKers have used and put vegan meal info into. Am I remembering that correctly? I couldn't find it anywhere, but who knows. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and do you remember what site it is?

Are you thinking of Spark People? Quite a few PPKers are on there & I've inputted a lot of AFR recipes.

I'm a member on there!
:o

I'm currently down about 90lbs from my heaviest, and looking to fit up lots for this summer.
I currently rock climb, but have been off for a while due to some back issues.
Starting hot yoga today!

I'm aiming to do yoga x3 a week, climb x2 a week, and horsebackride x2 a week

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:30 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Hullo guys! I am gonna join in here. I used to suffer from an ED (anorexia and then bulimia) and during my recovery I gained a LOT of weight and am right now at my heaviest weight and I feel uncomfortable and unhealthy. I am trying to lose weight (with the help of my GP) and this thread seems pretty positive so here I am.

I am going to be doing the slimming world diet which means unlimited pasta, rice, veggies, fruits and tofu and limited bread, soymilk and nut. But no counting calories or anything which is awesome! I just need to start an exercise plan but I am stumped!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:16 pm 

I'm on sparkpeople.com too!

:D alicia0099 if you want to add me on there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 145  Next