| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I started MFP last week. I'm increasing my exercise quite a bit, and keeping my calories at a moderate level.

My questions to you, PPK weight loss peeps, are:

1). How do you control sugar? I'm under my total calorie intake most days, but waaaayyy over my recommended sugar consumption. As I'm pre-diabetic, this is a worry for me. Any foods you rely on?

2).I am also a bit confused as to what I should base my protein intake on. I've got Vegan for Life (Norris and Messina), but since I'm kind of radically increasing my exercise (but varied exercises with lots of walking, so as to not injure myself) and cutting calories moderately, how do I determine protein? I've never really worried about it much before except when I was into distance running, but reading through part of this thread, it seems like I should be paying more attention.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Sent you a friend request on MFP, Bridgette! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Tenacious, where is your sugar coming from? I have to limit sugar because of my gastric bypass surgery, but that's never been a big issue unless I want chocolate cake or something.

For protein, after surgery, since that was our caloric priority, we were told to plan all meals around a protein source and use those calories first, and then add in everything else. That sort of technique might work well for you. I'm kind of still doing that on WW now since I do have absorption issues. For example, if I make Gardein taco shreds, the Gardein is high in protein and super low in WW points/calories, somI figure out what I need or want there, then divvy up the rest of my allotment among the tortillas, guac, etc. This also helps prevent me from eating an entire avocado! Or wasting calories on tortillas.

I used to start with the tortilla and then fill it up, which could result in a less empty tortilla but lots of calories. This way, if I'm low on remaining calories or points or whatever, using a lettuce wrap instead is a better choice.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Lavawitch, when I looked at my numbers, the vast majority of sugar was actually coming from fruit...apples, blueberries, and bananas. After that, it was Larabars, bread, and limited sauces and such. Although there WAS the day I made cookies (and the few days after) which kind of threw everything way off, sugar-wise. I never thought of myself as eating that much fruit; it's usually 2-4 servings per day, so I'm kind of flabbergasted. I would not have thought 2-4 servings of fruit per day (along with the processed stuff- some days very minimal, some days not so much) would put me over my daily sugar limit.

This may be a kind of a wake-up call. If I'm eating this much sugar when I'm actually watching what I eat, what the hell did my numbers look like before?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

And per the protein, do you know if there's any reason to eat more protein when trying to lose weight? (Atkins nonsense aside).
I'm gonna go back to Vegan for Life and try to assess what my protein needs are. I'm still kind of foggy on this. But I like your advice on how to get your protein calories first, and then go from there. I know MFP isn't a genie or anything, but I also seem to be way off on my protein intake according to them. Which leads me to ask...are MFP's nutrient assumptions correct-ish to begin with? Or am I better off just using it more as a gross tool for caloric input?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I always read that people should get 1.8 grams of protein for your "ideal weight", and I guess that doesnt change when you eat less, so the percentage of protein just gets bigger?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:17 pm 
WRETCHED

From my experience, unless you are following a low carb diet, you will go over the sugars on MFP. They count everything. I don't worry too much about the sugars unless you are eating a lot of added sugars.

I also think I adjusted my ranges myself, I felt comfortable in the 60g to 100g protein range, although 100g was more difficult to get. How much protein are you getting?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:52 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I think MFP's calculations are largely based on your calorie intake, not necessarily what you actually "should" have. So I would use it as a tracker but not necessarily go by their recommended macros.

The most common formula I've seen for determining protein needs is 0.8g per kg of "ideal" body weight. That's sort of confusing though because there are a couple different interpretations of what that means. In 'Vegan For Life' I think he says that vegans should aim for more like 0.9 per kg in any case.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

whoops, i meant 0.8, too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:00 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

ashley wrote:
Sent you a friend request on MFP, Bridgette! :)

yay! I've tried using it a few times but always give up. I used to use spark people but love the mfp app. I have looked so many times, but is there a way to change targets for protein, sugar, etc? I don't like their guidelines.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:16 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yep, go under the "home" tab, click "goals", click on the green button on the bottom that says "change goals" and select "custom". You can't totally fine-tune your carbs/protein/fat but you can change the distribution in increments of 5%.

eta: Oh, and I forgot to say earlier - I've read stuff that says people who are exercising a lot should get more than the basic RDA of protein. I am not really an expert on this stuff and I am focusing more on a weight-loss diet right now anyway, but I've read that athletes should have more like 1.2g+ per kg per day. If anyone who is actually an athlete or who has been researching that has an opinion let us know.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Gah! I have insane munchie cravings. I want to eat the furniture. That stupid fast screwed my momentum.

I know I'm not hungry, but my whole head is screaming at me to go eat crepe.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:50 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Here's Jack Norris' article about protein intake. It should clear up some of the questions I've noticed on this thread.

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:25 pm 

I have my protein goal on MFP set at 25% of my calories, which for me is 98g. I don't usually meet that goal, but I am often pretty close. I just feel more satisfied on a higher protein diet.

I also upped my sugar limit because I felt MFP's was unreasonable. Two bananas and you're over their limit! I still don't pay a lot of attention to it unless I've been eating a whole lot of added sugar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:36 pm 

Limone wrote:
Yep, go under the "home" tab, click "goals", click on the green button on the bottom that says "change goals" and select "custom". You can't totally fine-tune your carbs/protein/fat but you can change the distribution in increments of 5%.

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:38 pm 

ashley wrote:
I have my protein goal on MFP set at 25% of my calories, which for me is 98g. I don't usually meet that goal, but I am often pretty close. I just feel more satisfied on a higher protein diet.

I also upped my sugar limit because I felt MFP's was unreasonable. Two bananas and you're over their limit! I still don't pay a lot of attention to it unless I've been eating a whole lot of added sugar.

Exactly, I feel like if I eat natural sugar I'm fine, just don't overdo it. I just don't want to eat any added sugar but if I do I try not to go over 25g which is hard. I read an article once that said you shouldn't have more than 25g refined sugar a day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Limone wrote:

eta: Oh, and I forgot to say earlier - I've read stuff that says people who are exercising a lot should get more than the basic RDA of protein. I am not really an expert on this stuff and I am focusing more on a weight-loss diet right now anyway, but I've read that athletes should have more like 1.2g+ per kg per day. If anyone who is actually an athlete or who has been researching that has an opinion let us know.

Thanks.

And...MFP has caulipots! Thanks PPK!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:33 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Haha, that's awesome. You still might want to double-check the nutritional info though, because sometimes when people add the nutritional info for recipes to the database they change the serving size, ingredients etc.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:26 pm 

Limone wrote:
Haha, that's awesome. You still might want to double-check the nutritional info though, because sometimes when people add the nutritional info for recipes to the database they change the serving size, ingredients etc.

This. I'm always paranoid and enter it myself because I want it accurate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:57 pm 

And when people do that, they really should not make the recipes public! Grrr. MFP is like 90% awesome, but the 10% that drives me crazy is the whole mess of crepe in the database.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, I know. I have all kinds of custom stuff on there, but it's all private. Why would someone else need my nutritional data unless they were eating food I made? Grr.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:55 am 

I didn't even know making it private or shared was an option. Uh oh lol, I may be guilty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:04 am 
Semen Strong

annasrobbie wrote:
Tofulish - are you following a specific calorie count right now? I have seen some varying things about calories and nursing and weight loss. Normally I find I need to follow a 1200 calorie diet and exercise to lose weight so while nursing I was reading to add 300-500 calories to that? Does that line up with what you have read/are doing?

I have seen that number on the SparkPeople Baby Fit site, so that sounds about right to me!

I am not watching my calories superhard at this point, just trying to return to an awareness. If I tracked what I ate unconsciously, it was about 2,000 cal a day, mostly going over my "limit" for carbs and fat and not hitting it for protein.

I'm trying not to watch the scale too hard, because my weight fluctuates a lot with my cycle, so I can be up one day and down the next. Perhaps in function of what I eat the day before too? I don't know, but its definitely not a linear weightloss process for me! And I have PCOS, so I feel like the pounds just cling so hard to me. So if I look at the numbers, its just demoralizing because sometimes it feels like I can eat 2000 cal and stay the same weight as if I watch everything I eat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have no idea what my weight is but this week I lost 1.5 inches on my hips! (I am coming to the end of my period, so I'm kind of guessing that has a big part to do with it.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:19 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Can I just lament that as soon as I started in earnest trying to lose weight Avocados (probably one of my favorite foods in the universe) went on sale at 10 for $5. I have never seen them that cheap before. I bought them with the plan to feed them to my baby - I have now in the past 3 days consumed 3 avocados myself. This will probably reflect poorly on my weekly weigh-in :( Darn the creamy deliciousness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 145  Next