| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 146  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:19 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I just wrote a blog about the last 6 months of being on plan, just some relfections, and a look toward the future and continued weight loss, if anyone cares to read, it's here:

http://beyondwillpower.blogspot.com/2011/04/discipline-is-remembering-what-you-want.html

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:41 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i haven't been very dedicated to a plan which is troublesome as I like to still complain about my weight. I might just start eating from the AFR book because when I mostly eating food from that I was at a healthy weight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:40 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Sarah-Jane wrote:
Hullo guys! I am gonna join in here. I used to suffer from an ED (anorexia and then bulimia) and during my recovery I gained a LOT of weight and am right now at my heaviest weight and I feel uncomfortable and unhealthy. I am trying to lose weight (with the help of my GP) and this thread seems pretty positive so here I am.

I am going to be doing the slimming world diet which means unlimited pasta, rice, veggies, fruits and tofu and limited bread, soymilk and nut. But no counting calories or anything which is awesome! I just need to start an exercise plan but I am stumped!

What are some of your options for exercise? What do you like to do? I've found that I really like going to classes, so I do that for strength training (a class with weights and yoga). The yoga makes me feel really relaxed, and the weights class helps me to see how strong I'm getting and pushes me forward a bit. Plus, it's something to actually do instead of just a chore that needs to be done. I'm not sure if that makes much sense. I think a lot of people would agree that walking with a friend is also a great option to ease yourself into exercising, seeing the social and health aspects without getting into any bad cycles of over-exercising or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:37 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Sarah-Jane wrote:

I am going to be doing the slimming world diet which means unlimited pasta, rice, veggies, fruits and tofu and limited bread, soymilk and nut. But no counting calories or anything which is awesome! I just need to start an exercise plan but I am stumped!

I did Slimming World 5 years ago and I absolutely loved it. I lost 70+ pounds and have managed to maintain that since, which was always the big stumbling block for me. I am currently living with my parents while recuperating after surgery, and the combinaion of not being in total control of what I'm eating plus the op itself means I have gained a little, but I plan to get back on the SW plan and lose that when I go home in a couple of weeks. As you mention, the best thing about the SW plan for me was the no calorie counting and the sheer amount of food I could eat. I was never hungry, and I found it really easy to adapt existing recipes I like so they were plan-friendly. There is a real emphasis on eating healthily as well, and having a positive relationship to food.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:23 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I'm back down half an inch on my waist, just half more to go before I'm at my pre-bakery measurement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Basically for the past five days or so, I've been eating the correct calories for the body I want to have (I looked up my BMR and typed in my goal weight and my height and activity) : )

It's funny how much better I feel not eating piles of junky nasty horrible for me food every day. I don't know why I did it for so long.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:56 am 

Two questions for you all.

One, speaking of rewards, what are some of your favorite rewards to give yourself? My problem is I am also trying not to buy so much stuff, so I've been trying to keep myself from getting new clothes or something. And I don't want to work hard all week and undo it all by treating myself with a giant sundae. I did get a massage when I hit -25lbs., but I had a gift certificate for that. Any ideas?

Two, what are you eating to get full? I've been really trying to watch my calorie intake and get a nice ratio of carbs, protein, and fat, but I'm always hungry. I've been working out hard, but I'm eating so much that I'm really just maintaining and not losing anymore. I don't want to starve myself of course, but I'm wondering if there's something more filling I should be eating. I'm getting about twice my daily recommended fiber and protein per Livestrong.com on average, so I don't think that's what's missing. When I eat breads and stuff, I try to pick whole grains. Anyone have any tips?

Otherwise all has been really, really good.

Also, so happy for you thisheregiraffe! I don't know how you work in a bakery!! Of course, no one knows how we all live without cheese, so maybe it's something like that? LOL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Quinoa fills me up like no one's business. Also edamame (edamame pesto is the most filling thing I've ever eaten).

For rewards... I do need new clothes so that's what I've been getting. Are there classes you like? Drop in yoga classes here are 10-12 dollars. Sometimes there are workshops for fun stuff, herbal tea making, hooping.

One of the things I got to reward myself for being good was a stilting workshop and that bred a love of being up high that has carried me for a while.

What about putting money towards a tattoo or piercing? (If you're into that).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 pm 

There's actually a place near my apartment that offers stilting workshops, I think!

I'm thinking about saving up for a fancy Garmin watch thing, but I'm not so good at saving money. Another thing that I'd like to get better at though, so maybe the GPS watch would be a double reward!

I think I might make a big pot of quinoa to eat throughout the week. That way I won't be tempted to just eat a sunshine burger and salad (while still delicious and not too bad, definitely not filling me up!).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

You should make a big batch of black bean mango quinoa salad (veganomicon) in the beginning of the week and that way it'd be super tempting to eat it and you'd never feel all like you were eating lame quinoa instead of yummy sunshine burgers.

I'd do that... but my partner would eat it all within two days. ._.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:57 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I eat a LOT of vegetables to fill me up. And I mean a LOT. Of course I also eat protein and carbs and other stuff, but if I don't eat a LOT of vegetables I'm hungry and I end up overeating.

I like to feel really full after a meal, so I get really stuffed on veggies. Works for me.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:15 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I totally slacked for 2 weeks and gained about 2 lbs (tough to say - damn period) and got back into weight watchers and working out over the last 2-3 days and I'm doing well (but the endless need to eat from my period is tough). I'm fitting into some size 8 jean shorts I got from Old Navy and today I was wearing these teen size 13 shorts that were a little lose and they were so tight last summer. My arms are nice and getting defined, so that's cool.

Lobsterrific - I should work on that because if I don't feel full, then I figure I'm starving. Uncool.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:04 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

OMG! I got my first EVAR sports bra!

I'm so excited. I used to be a 44 H, now I'm a 40 DDD and sucked it up and bought one and I never want to take the damn thing off. I wrote a review of it on my blog, link in sig.

woooo!

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:29 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

So I weighed myself... and I weigh what I did pre preg, but it must be distributed annoyingly around my waist because my jeans are still not 100%. Ah well. I also went for a 5k run tonight. Gonna train for a half marathon (will run it in the fall). Doing two 5k runs this week was my exercise goal, so that's half accomplished; yay!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:32 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

I'm not sure because I don't own a scale (it broke : p), but some of my old jeans fit!!
The ones that didn't, do not stretch, so I'm getting rid of those.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm not following my diet as well as I want to be. Too much candy and cake and not enough vegetables and protein-y foods.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:24 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

appifanie wrote:
I totally slacked for 2 weeks and gained about 2 lbs (tough to say - damn period) and got back into weight watchers and working out over the last 2-3 days and I'm doing well (but the endless need to eat from my period is tough).

urg. right there with you. I feel like I keep just griping about gaining weight, but sometimes I am just too distracted by a need for munchies that I can't work until I eat something. Please go away period, I would like to not gain a bunch of weight. I did get to the gym yesterday even with terrible cramps...today I am planning on doing a run with intervals on the treadmill and then some balance/core stuff...I have been feeling blobby lately, but I think some of that is bloating and just being more sedentary from finals.

More vegetables sounds like a good plane. Maybe I can trick BoyfriendPerson into taking me to the store tomorrow so I can get lots of yummy veggies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:26 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Fizzgig wrote:
[ but sometimes I am just too distracted by a need for munchies that I can't work until I eat something.

totally!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:37 am 

I love the idea about the AFR salad; I have another recipe for a similar-ish bulger salad, too! I am going to try to max out on vegetables and go from there. I do have to say that I made a little salad for lunch yesterday with baby spinach, tomotoes, red peppers, and mushrooms, and I added some black beans on top, and that made it really filling. I wish I would have had some hummus to add, too!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:25 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

ndpittman wrote:
What are some of your options for exercise? What do you like to do? I've found that I really like going to classes, so I do that for strength training (a class with weights and yoga). The yoga makes me feel really relaxed, and the weights class helps me to see how strong I'm getting and pushes me forward a bit. Plus, it's something to actually do instead of just a chore that needs to be done. I'm not sure if that makes much sense. I think a lot of people would agree that walking with a friend is also a great option to ease yourself into exercising, seeing the social and health aspects without getting into any bad cycles of over-exercising or anything.

I can't really take classes at the minute because I don't have the money to join a gym or anything but I have just got a dvd of ten minute toning exercises which is great because I can fit those in before work in the morning. I am also trying to get out walking with the dog a bit more. I have always wanted to run a marathon but I am a million years from that yet. I think I might start the couch to 5k again once I get my house sorted out, I work well with clearly laid out plans when it comes to exercise.

jogirl wrote:
I did Slimming World 5 years ago and I absolutely loved it. I lost 70+ pounds and have managed to maintain that since, which was always the big stumbling block for me. I am currently living with my parents while recuperating after surgery, and the combinaion of not being in total control of what I'm eating plus the op itself means I have gained a little, but I plan to get back on the SW plan and lose that when I go home in a couple of weeks. As you mention, the best thing about the SW plan for me was the no calorie counting and the sheer amount of food I could eat. I was never hungry, and I found it really easy to adapt existing recipes I like so they were plan-friendly. There is a real emphasis on eating healthily as well, and having a positive relationship to food.

Good luck!

Thank you and wow, 70+lbs is amazing and it is great to hear that someone has done so well with the plan. It always seems so strange that a diet where they tell you to eat as much as you like can work so well. I agree with you that it really is easy to adapt recipes, especially vegan recipes! Did you stay for the meetings and stuff? I don't know if I find them all that helpful, to be honest. I hope you are recovering well from your operation!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:48 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I don't know if I've gained weight, but I've definitely lost muscle from slacking off for 3 weeks (back was messed up, was sick a couple days, then just lazy). Plus, it's a few days before my period, so I stuff everything I can into my face. I feel like such a fat piece of crepe :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:41 am 

LizTheWiz wrote:
I don't know if I've gained weight, but I've definitely lost muscle from slacking off for 3 weeks (back was messed up, was sick a couple days, then just lazy). Plus, it's a few days before my period, so I stuff everything I can into my face. I feel like such a fat piece of crepe :(

I don't think I should really say this as advice or anything, but I usually cut myself some slack once a month during my period or right before, because I think, I'm thankful that my body is healthy and that I have a healthy cycle and whatnot.

I'm sorry you're feeling this way--maybe getting back into it with some light exercising would boost your mood? A nice long walk?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:48 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

[quote="Sarah-Jane"] Did you stay for the meetings and stuff? I don't know if I find them all that helpful, to be honest. quote]

Ha, no i didn't always stay. I know they tell you too, but my group was very large and there was never enough time to discuss things in detail once we had gone round and talked about everyone's progress. I also found them a bit too reminiscent of the "Little Britain" fat fighters sketch at times! I probably stayed to about one a month, the rest of the time I just got weighed. After I hit target I didn't go every week, but I still go about once a month just to keep an eye on it. Group things aren't for everyone, but the plan itself is excellent, mostly I think because it really is more a way of healthy eating for life, more than a diet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:18 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Bought a scale; started back running with 5k the other day, and I'll do another 5k today or tomorrow (legs still hurt! out of shape!). My eating plan for this week was to stick to the 'serving size' of whatever junk treat I am having instead of nomming constantly on it throughout the day, which tends to add up to a few servings. I've managed to be good about it for the last couple of days, though the beginning of the week was a bit of a disaster (Easter treats! The scourge of my diet!). Forging ahead!

People having period-related munchies: maybe give yourself a little slack and choose a snack that is snacky but still not terrible for you? Popcorn (unless soaked in earth balance) tends to be pretty low calorie and you can eat a lot of it. Just an idea. And don't beat yourselves up; I was a crazy snacker during pms.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i was feeling anxious and ate quite a few cookies. the anxiety is largely stemming from the coworker/old friend in the "turning vegan for you" thread. i wish i could have just taken a nap, but i had to run all these errands before i went home to await the delivery of my new stove (i've been without one for 2 months!!) now i am lying down and drinking water and feeling not so anxious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 146  Next