| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:36 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks. I hate being this hungry all the time, too. I wonder if I should eat more filling stuff. Normally Im fine with eating calorie dense food and just stop when it's enough but right now. Today the only actually satisfying meal contained 500 g broccoli...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:39 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

You should look into what foods to eat with thyroid. I don't know if it's woo or not, but there seems to be research, especially regarding raw cruciferous vegetables and soy. I'll check in with my friend for the book title she spoke to me about. Sorry if this is something you already know. It was a big revelation to her.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Mhm, I don't know, stuff like this is so incredibly triggering and when I talked to doctors they told me soy and idione and everything they tell you online not to eat is just fine. I'd rather not cut out entire food groups again if there's no scientific proof.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the post j-dub! I really appreciate the feedback and the resources (Go Kaleo is awesome!), and it isn't overstepping at all. Its part of what I really like about the thread :) For me at the moment, I am really not restricting. Its more about tracking to get information.

I want to be able to see the consequences of some of my unconscious behaviors - like the fact that I have been cooking for 2 so that Leela will have enough if she wants to eat, and then eating both portions when she doesn't eat more than a few tablespoons. So for example, I'd make two bowls of granola and yogurt and just eat both thinking its not that big a deal and it turns out that is 300 extra calories. Or she'll ask for a smoothie and drink a tablespoon and I drink the rest of a 400cal smoothie that I don't even really want but hate to throw out. So with that information, I now make us 1 portion and divide it and make tiny mini shakes and put them in her sippy and throw out once she is done. Another thing I was doing was buying a lot of processed foods, thinking they were so easy and not even checking the calorie content - so I would eat 12 of the little Trader Joe falafel balls at 100cals apiece for lunch and then eat a big dinner afterwards. So I just got rid of those items and am not repurchasing. I was using so much oil, and seeing how fast that adds up, I now cook with far less. I've been cooking so I can add the fat in for L after. The pie wasn't so much a binge as it was insufficient information - I would never have expected that it had 500 cals for a teeny slice. Lesson learned :)

I thought this piece in the Guardian was brilliant: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ly-problem

Quote:
Food is a social justice issue that has disproportionately negative impacts on groups already facing hardship. That should be an issue for every socially conscious person. But when looking at the myriad problems caused not only by our big food industry but by the policies that enable them and our cultural norms that incentivize poor health choices, too many people simply turn “obesity” into the boogeyman.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:50 pm 

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Mhm, I don't know, stuff like this is so incredibly triggering and when I talked to doctors they told me soy and idione and everything they tell you online not to eat is just fine. I'd rather not cut out entire food groups again if there's no scientific proof.

Oh! I'm sorry; definitely disregard then!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:51 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

No worries, thank you for the suggestion!
It just always makes me think of the raw food crowd who said you could cure all thyroid issues by going raw etc.. I end up making me feel like I just can't "get it right".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:58 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

VeganinBerlin wrote:

Maybe you've seen this already, but Ginny Messina has a good post about vegan diet and thyroid conditions/ http://www.theveganrd.com/2008/02/soyfo ... egans.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:59 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Tofulish wrote:
The pie wasn't so much a binge as it was insufficient information - I would never have expected that it had 500 cals for a teeny slice. Lesson learned :)

Ah, yes. The tragedy of pecan pie.

Are you somebody who doesn't like leftovers? Is that a third option rather than eat or throw-away?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ijustdiedinside wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

Maybe you've seen this already, but Ginny Messina has a good post about vegan diet and thyroid conditions/ http://www.theveganrd.com/2008/02/soyfo ... egans.html

Thanks, I read it before but if it's true and I really don't have hashimoto's I definitely need to start taking iodine supplements.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:19 pm 
Semen Strong

I do like leftovers, but I am bad at putting away a tiny bit of food. I tend to think, oh well this isn't enough for a full meal, might as well eat it now. I have just started doing what LW suggested - I put away a portion in the freezer before we even start eating.

But, yes, it is a tragedy about pecan pie :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So, I was over at my neighbour's house checking on her cat while she is away. She has a scale in her bathroom, and I do not. I weighed myself over there a couple months ago and I was still sitting right on my 130-131 cusp. And today I was a cool 126. And that was after stuffing myself with Isa's tasty waffles.

I haven't been actively cutting out/counting or anything but I haven't had potato chips or pop around for a while which are both things I massively binged on for a while after going vegan, so I think that has helped. Now to get back on the exercise bandwagon a bit more! If I can get myself back to the 120 area I will be stupidly happy. I'm only 5'1" so an extra 10lbs makes a huge difference.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:22 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

ndpittman wrote:
ashley wrote:
I think the estimates on the calculator linked to above are too high. I use this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The TDEE it gives me is pretty accurate. Eating that number + exercise calories (heart rate monitor) works out to maintenance for me.

Interesting! It gave me about the same numbers, so I'm going to move forward!

Now I'm questioning the numbers MyFitnessPal has me at ... I feels like it's a good number for me (don't feel hungry, losing weight), but both those sites say it's way too low.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:06 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Moon wrote:
So, I was over at my neighbour's house checking on her cat while she is away. She has a scale in her bathroom, and I do not. I weighed myself over there a couple months ago and I was still sitting right on my 130-131 cusp. And today I was a cool 126. And that was after stuffing myself with Isa's tasty waffles.

I haven't been actively cutting out/counting or anything but I haven't had potato chips or pop around for a while which are both things I massively binged on for a while after going vegan, so I think that has helped. Now to get back on the exercise bandwagon a bit more! If I can get myself back to the 120 area I will be stupidly happy. I'm only 5'1" so an extra 10lbs makes a huge difference.

I'm just an inch and a bit taller than you so I've the same complaint. I put on 6lbs in a week and it looked ridiculous on me. Like really bad. I've now lost 2lb of it and I notice the difference in appearance already. Your current weight is my goal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 am 

NomiMalone wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
ashley wrote:
I think the estimates on the calculator linked to above are too high. I use this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The TDEE it gives me is pretty accurate. Eating that number + exercise calories (heart rate monitor) works out to maintenance for me.

Interesting! It gave me about the same numbers, so I'm going to move forward!

Now I'm questioning the numbers MyFitnessPal has me at ... I feels like it's a good number for me (don't feel hungry, losing weight), but both those sites say it's way too low.

I don't really know what I think. I did a lot of reading yesterday, but I'm still trying to make sense of it. And I didn't click over to the scientific studies on gokaleo.com because that sort of thing basically makes my eyes glaze over. The overall take away is that it really depends on your activity level regarding how many calories you eat. I don't use MyFitnessPal, but on LiveStrong I think it was difficult to gauge because I do work at a desk and sit a lot, but I don't think that makes me sedentary (the activity level they suggested).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:37 am 
Discovered unobtainium

If you feel good, aren't hungry, and are losing a safe , reasonable amount of weight, you are probably just fine.

My totally unscientific layperson opinion!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
If you feel good, aren't hungry, and are losing a safe , reasonable amount of weight, you are probably just fine.

And I totally agree with it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 am 

Moon wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

And I totally agree with it!

I mostly agree with it! I just worry about people getting enough to eat. If you feel like you are though, good! Probably the best indicator.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:24 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

The calculator on the Go Kaleo (great blog, by the way!) site gave me a TDEE almost 200 calories above MFP and the other calculators I've tried. Maybe I entered something wrong...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:55 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Well, there are different formulas for calculating BMR which would affect the TDEE calculation. Just to make things more confusing for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:02 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yeah, there are a lot of calculations! The one we use at the nursing home that I work at is the Mifflin St. Jeor, so you could find a calculator that uses that. The thing about counting calories is that it's sort of more important to figure out how many calories you're actually eating and then eat 250 or 500ish less than that. You might not have even been eating what the energy expenditure calcuations tell you you your needs are, so even if you started to eat exactly what they tell you to, you may not lose.

And I totally agree with Lavawitch's opinion as a scientific non-layperson.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:21 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Great tip, thanks for that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:06 pm 

I'm actually not trying to lose weight. I'm maintaining. I have my TDEE more or less figured out (the Scooby's calculator I linked to earlier seems to be accurate for me), but I would eventually like to get to the point where I don't have to count calories anymore. When I was eating what felt like a "normal" amount to me without counting, I was around 5 pounds heavier than I'd like to be. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I could really tell a difference in the way my clothes fit.

Bleh, maybe I'll just count calories forever. I actually don't mind it much.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:06 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

On counting calories and maintenance... I lost a lot of weight in my late teens/early 20s by counting calories and I kept it off for several years. When I first hit my goal I kept a food diary for a little while after, but eventually I fell out of the habit and was still OK, probably because I had memorized the nutritional value of every food I ate on a regular basis and had a rough sense that I wasn't overeating most days. I didn't creep back into overweight territory until I started working a desk job again several years later, and ended up ordering takeout (and eating all of it) several times per week...

I've discovered that since I started counting calories again my eating habits aren't drastically different than how I ate before... some days. Like half the time I ate roughly like I normally would now, maybe just a little more of certain things, but it was those other days (large Chinese takeout orders, fried snacks, etc) that did me in over time. So my current diet doesn't really feel restrictive to me, but counting calories is a good reminder not to eat four deep fried things just because there's a vegan restaurant that delivers to my house.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:51 pm 

Having a desk job is a totally a problem for me too! I have to make my meals smaller so I can budget for snacks throughout the day because I get so freaking bored at my desk and need to break up my day somehow. I can't really take breaks (or lunch away from my desk), so food is what I have to look forward to.

I think I gained a few pounds when I started this job because I was moving less AND adding snacks on top of my meals, without doing anything to compensate. Now I try to eat a tiny lunch so I can still eat my snacks. The unfortunate consequence of that is that I never feel full after lunch, which makes me even more fixated on my afternoon snack.

I guess the solution is to exercise more so I can eat what I want. I always feel a lot better on my exercise days anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:09 pm 
Semen Strong

I think that the calculators on SP etc skew low, because they know that people tend to undercount their calories. And of course no one complains if they lose weight more quickly, but if users aren't losing then they stop using the site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 144  Next