| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Finally got to screwing around with MFP. It told me to aim for 1200 calories and I guess I won back some extra by logging my hour long fight with the satellite company (I was pacing all through the house during) so I came in about 11 cal under my limit.

Limone, I tried to add you but it only gave me options for email address, Facebook and phone contacts, not username.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Moon wrote:
Limone, I tried to add you but it only gave me options for email address, Facebook and phone contacts, not username.

Were you logged in when you tried it? I think I have it set so only other MFP users can see my profile, not the internet at large. Try logging in and/or going here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tomatini

edited to add: MFP's recommendations for daily calorie intake and macros are sort of weird. I would recommend doing the calculations yourself with one of the calculators or formulas discussed here and then customizing it if you come up with different numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:11 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

ndpittman wrote:
Moon wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
If you feel good, aren't hungry, and are losing a safe , reasonable amount of weight, you are probably just fine.

My totally unscientific layperson opinion!

And I totally agree with it!

I mostly agree with it! I just worry about people getting enough to eat. If you feel like you are though, good! Probably the best indicator.

I get hungrier the longer I read about this topic! :) Going to be more flexible in going above the calorie limit especially on work out days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:42 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Okay, I don't know but I have totally lost all self control. I have no sense of moderation. It's all gone. Pffft.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:21 am 
Semen Strong

I hear you! I think its because I'm eating too many processed carbs, and doing the sugar salt swing.

Yesterday I discovered that my TJ's corn tortillas have 120 calories for 2. They were my sub for toast and really cost me about 20 cal (because I had 3 tortillas instead of 2 slices of toast), even though they are so much smaller and less satisfying. Derp. I fail to understand processed carbs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:27 am 
Ninja Master

appifanie wrote:
Okay, I don't know but I have totally lost all self control. I have no sense of moderation. It's all gone. Pffft.

Me too. I seem to be really struggling to get motivated. I'm a bridesmaid in 5 months! GAH.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Limone wrote:
Moon wrote:

Were you logged in when you tried it? I think I have it set so only other MFP users can see my profile, not the internet at large. Try logging in and/or going here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tomatini

edited to add: MFP's recommendations for daily calorie intake and macros are sort of weird. I would recommend doing the calculations yourself with one of the calculators or formulas discussed here and then customizing it if you come up with different numbers.

Ah ok, I was using the app. I will have to check out the website later.

I've been alive long enough that people should eat slowly so they feel full. I've heard about this diet tip for years. And I 100% do not follow it. I fill a plate with food and I plow it until it is gone. A few days ago I was mildly angry with Mr Moon so plowed my plate, got another heaping plate and then ate until I was seriously in pain. Even when I don't go to that extreme I don't give myself time after my serving to actually feel full. I do this despite knowing better!

But I'm improving on this, giving myself smaller initial portions and trying to wait before eating more. Today I finally kind of *got it*. I packed my food for work (days like today it is breakfast, lunch and large snack) and didn't allow myself extras. When I ate my breakfast, I still felt hungry towards the end and I was starting to panic that I hadn't brought something extra to go with it. I had to kind of talk myself down from it and remind myself to wait until I'm actually done before deciding I'm hungry! And guess what, about 5 minutes after I totally wasn't hungry anymore! So now I've had some of my amande and I've gone out of my way to stop after a few spoonfuls and not just snarf it all down. This is progress!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

After my surgery, I bought a few cute, fancy tiny dishes, so my plates looked normally full, and not, you know, a piece of carrot and bite of tofu on a dinner plate bigger than my head.

I still use them as my main dishes. At holidays etc, my mom wants the table to match, so I end up eating off a dinner plate and usually end up eating until I throw up (because of mechanical restriction from surgery!). I'm just so bad at handling my plate being mostly empty; doesn't work for me.

I've got some pretty bowls that hold less than a cup of food, which is perfect for macaroni, stews, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:08 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yeah, the using smaller plates thing really does trick your brain. We use 8" plates as our everyday plates (I think most dinner plates are more like 10-11"?)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 pm 
Semen Strong

I did a make-under of the Veg News Mac & Trees: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-d ... pe=2434111 It is coming in at about 120 cal a serving as opposed to 300 and change... I'm baking it in muffin tins, for better portion control :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
I did a make-under of the Veg News Mac & Trees: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-d ... pe=2434111 It is coming in at about 120 cal a serving as opposed to 300 and change... I'm baking it in muffin tins, for better portion control :)

That is a great idea!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Also, I have a cute little set if citrus plates that I've been excited to pull out in the summer but maybe I will a bit earlier. The big plate is average size but has a thick decorative rim, like a couple inches all the way around. So the usable plate size is much smaller. The bowls are smaller too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I need to start using a smaller bowl for cereal. I poured approx a serving in my usual cereal bowls tonight, and it just looked sad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:28 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm back on the smaller bowl bandwagon recently, too. I think it helps me keep my portions normal, instead of giganto-sized.

Thanks to whoever linked to Go Kaleo (Tofulish, maybe)? I'm enjoying that site; she seems to have some solid
information to offer with evidenced-based studies backing it up. Also, it's good motivation for me to hit the resistance training harder. I've been concentrating on cardio, but this page is a good reminder that increased muscle mass contributes to good health in important ways, as well. And I love her dissing of the vegemite shamers. IT'S forking ANATOMY, PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Ha ha...I'm so slow at figuring out filters!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Which filter was that one? I'm assuming the filter is vegemite, but what was the original word?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oh, and I'll add another thanks for that Go Kaleo link - excellent site!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

cell-ulite = vegemite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tenacious LD wrote:
cell-ulite = vegemite

I never would have guessed that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:43 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Whatever, I signed up for MFP; it has me depressed. I keep telling myself that I'm just tracking right now though, and I'll start making changes slowly. And I'm working on getting back to my usual exercise schedule. Ok, yes! Instead of being ho-hum about my allotted calories for a sedentary life, focus on not being sedentary. I'm tempted to get a fitbit to see if I'm really all that sedentary. I may be in denial.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ndpittman wrote:
Whatever, I signed up for MFP; it has me depressed. I keep telling myself that I'm just tracking right now though, and I'll start making changes slowly. And I'm working on getting back to my usual exercise schedule. Ok, yes! Instead of being ho-hum about my allotted calories for a sedentary life, focus on not being sedentary. I'm tempted to get a fitbit to see if I'm really all that sedentary. I may be in denial.

I think this will be a good way to encourage me to be more active. MFP will be like "hey, those chips were 400 calories!" and I'll make the dog's walk extra long that day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'm going to try increasing my calories from 1200-1300 to 1300-1500, based off those calculators. I have PCOS, but I don't think I should have an impossible time losing weight. When I don't track, I either gain or maintain. I lost weight after going vegan in September (mostly from cutting out a lot of processed foods), but since that 15 pounds lost, I've been maintaining. The weight I've been maintaining is too high, for me personally and BMI levels. I know BMI is messed, but it has a little credibility.
I started tracking again a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping that will help. I lost a good amount of weight a few years ago that way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:52 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

One of the big takeaways I took from Go Kaleo is that sitting all day is something that I need to work on, aside from working out. I don't know if she blogged about this or just talked about it on Facebook, but having a kick asparagus workout and then sitting on my bum all day at my desk isn't ideal and that people just need to MOVE more. I think about that and I use the washroom at work that is a longer walk from my desk, make sure I take the stairs, stand up to talk to co-workers, etc. I would still like to work more activity into my day, but it's a start.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lobsteriffic wrote:
One of the big takeaways I took from Go Kaleo is that sitting all day is something that I need to work on, aside from working out. I don't know if she blogged about this or just talked about it on Facebook, but having a kick asparagus workout and then sitting on my bum all day at my desk isn't ideal and that people just need to MOVE more. I think about that and I use the washroom at work that is a longer walk from my desk, make sure I take the stairs, stand up to talk to co-workers, etc. I would still like to work more activity into my day, but it's a start.

I've come to the same conclusion via Lani Muelrath. She talks a lot about standing instead of sitting whenever possible. Even if its not moving, it's not sitting and that's important. I have a lot of trouble with it when I'm at home (which is most of the time), couches are comfy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:40 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

lobsteriffic wrote:

I've started doing a set of squats every time I go to the bathroom at work in an attempt to get the blood flowing, since there's only so much not-sitting I can do in a day.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 145  Next