| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:35 pm 
Semen Strong

Now I want broccoli rabe. Mmmm sauteed with a ton of garlic. Re veg, we buy frozen, but I'll also throw veg that is close to going bad into a ziplock in the freezer to prolong its life. I hate spending for organic veg and then throwing out organic compost a few days later.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

High five, geeksweetheart!

I know where you are coming from. It's an exciting journey.

May I suggest that you wait on the tattoo? If you get down to a much lower weight eventually, you will have saggy skin issues. Losing slow and steady can help, but there really isn't any way around that when you are losing 100+ pounds. The where and extent are different for everybody. Exercise can help, but even so my roommate had 12lbs of skin removed from his upper body and abdomen, and he ended up a gym rat who taught body pump classes. Not trying to scare you, but it's an issue to be prepared for. Also, if you ever end up with any sort of rash due to loose skin folds, photo and document that because it's the only way insurance will ever help pay for removal.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My body must have known I was complaining about it because my jeans were the perfect fit today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Nice!

I'm in the annoying in between stage when my jeans are getting too lose to wear and they make me look really fat because they sag, but the smaller size doesn't begin to fit. And my scale won't budge any longer. This isn't making me feel very mentally healthy since I feel awful in my clothes right now. Even the knit skirts I wear most have a big baggy crease in the front middle now, adding a very nice pregnant effect. I either need to gain back the 7 or lose another 3- 5. *sigh*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:11 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh I hate that in-between size. I have been like that the past few weeks but I actually don't have any size bigger clothes. When I lost the weight over a year ago I threw out all my bigger clothes so that it would make it too hard for me to leave myself put on weight. It really is mentally unsettling when clothes don't fit right. For me looking like I am good actually makes me feel good inside.

If you can afford it go treat yourself to something new. I think you mentioned some new nail varnish in another thread. Something like that always perks me up. I treated myself last week to a new hairstyle and it done wonders for me because I had been feeling so lousy about my appearance. It seemed to get me out of the rut I was in with my eating patterns and motivated me to keep at the weightloss.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I covered the nail polish last night! I was so tempted to check the sale racks at the Lauren outlet, but refrained. Spending even $15-20 on clothes now would be ludicrous. Since I lost so much weight, and then gained some back after my back surgeries, I've got nice clothes in sizes 4-8, then a couple things in 10, then what I'm wearing now in 12. No shortage of clothes here, just all damn different sizes. Also, a lot of those smaller clothes are very nice. I went sort of clothes mad for a while and spent way more than I ever should have because for the first time in my life I was able to have nice, seasonally appropriate clothes. The feeling of walking into stores and being able to buy any clothes you want is just indescribably amazing. All my previous shopping devolved into me crying in the dressing room.

I am hoping to get back to the 6/8. I'm not sure that 4 is really sustainable for me long-term, and my surgeon agreed. It's just where I ended up settling and then maintaining until the loss of mobility.

I'm going to start the water aerobics soon. Not sure if next week, as planned, because lipgloss, but definitely first week in April.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh that sounds fun! I was going to try out pilates but people scared me out of it because I have back pain even though it is meant to be one of the best things to help back pain. Think I am just going to take it up and NOT talk about it in work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think with Pilates you need to make sure you have a properly qualified instructor. They recommended it at PT for me, but it's way too expensive here for proper classes. Maybe in the Fall I'll look into it again.

The water aerobics has been great for my back. The only problem is it can be easy to overdo because you feel it until you get out of the water.

My aunt swears by Nordic walking.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks all y'all!

Lavawitch--yeah, I have definitely thought about that. To such an extent that it was something that derailed me in the past when I've tried to lose weight (IE why bother when I'm still going to look horrible?) Now wanting to be healthy and happy is overcoming that fear but it's not something I like to think about... I'll just see when I see! The tattoo--planning to get it in a place I didn't feel would be overly affected by sagging. I may discuss with tattoo artist to see what they think!
How bad was the surgery recovery for your roommate? Good tip on documenting if I have any issues like you mentioned...I will do that... it seems very unlikely even with that, that insurance would cover it, as I have Kaiser. Sigh.
I've also had two very major surgeries in the past 3 years--I had 62 staples in my belly--so surgery scares the bejeezus out of me! Once I get to goal weight I will have to really think about it, and wait some time, because I know some people see changes even 1-2 years after they reach goal.

OK... back to lighter topics :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I really enjoyed water aerobics but the water temp at the pool did not help my joints at all. Plus I ended up with a lot of neck pain from trying to stay up during deep water exercises.

I need to start doing yoga again, but I super can't afford to do classes right now. I've tried looking at yoga videos on youtube but all the ones I could find were like, 8 minutes long and I want a whole session without stupid youtube commercials. Derp.

At least today has been a pretty healthy food day, minus the damn Coke I had. Damn you, Coke! You're delicious and terrible for me!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks LW. I have an appointment at the back pain clinic this week so I will ask them would the recommend any local classes. There isn't a hope of getting me into water since I won't wear a swimsuit. That is far too revealing for me to be able to mentally cope with.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

geeksweetheart wrote:
Thanks all y'all!

Lavawitch--yeah, I have definitely thought about that. To such an extent that it was something that derailed me in the past when I've tried to lose weight (IE why bother when I'm still going to look horrible?) Now wanting to be healthy and happy is overcoming that fear but it's not something I like to think about... I'll just see when I see! The tattoo--planning to get it in a place I didn't feel would be overly affected by sagging. I may discuss with tattoo artist to see what they think!
How bad was the surgery recovery for your roommate? Good tip on documenting if I have any issues like you mentioned...I will do that... it seems very unlikely even with that, that insurance would cover it, as I have Kaiser. Sigh.
I've also had two very major surgeries in the past 3 years--I had 62 staples in my belly--so surgery scares the bejeezus out of me! Once I get to goal weight I will have to really think about it, and wait some time, because I know some people see changes even 1-2 years after they reach goal.

OK... back to lighter topics :)

Nooooo, loose skin doesn't mean you'll look horrible. I mean, maybe you won't be dancing around in a bikini, but so what? I've got loose skin on my arms, belly, upper thighs. I was really lucky overall. If I could, I'd get a tummy tuck and breast lift for the skin issues, but isn't the end of the world. Loose skin is just some loose skin and doesn't at all compare to lugging around an extra 200lbs!

Kaiser will definitely pay if you have rashes. Some people from my support group had it done. It was a fight, but they won in the end and got the skin removal plus tummy tuck paid for.

For tattoo, I'd guess you'd want it close to a bone. For back and shoulders, it really varies and depends how busty you were before weight loss. I was never bigger than a B cup, so I dont have any loose skin around my shoulders or back. You will get it most where you carry most of your weight now.

Anyway, not trying to be negative. Believe me, when you get to your goal weight, loose skin isn't going to really bother you, because other things feel better!

The weight I'm at now is my best "skin weight." I look best in a bathing suit now, but I feel healthiest about 15lbs lighter, and then I'll have some skin issues.

Moon: does your Y have classes? Might not be cheap though (the YMCA here costs more than private, but I guess that varies). The places here have a heated pool for arthritis and shallow water classes. Maybe look aeound and see what you find? Only about half of the classess offered were deep water.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:43 pm 
Semen Strong

lavawitch wrote:
The feeling of walking into stores and being able to buy any clothes you want is just indescribably amazing. All my previous shopping devolved into me crying in the dressing room.

This resonates with me so much. I was always overweight, and then I started working out and got really fit for a few years. It never ceased to amaze me to be able to walk into a store, try things on and have the ability to choose, because everything fit. I am really short (4'11"), but all the little petite clothes fit and looked great. I hate clothes shopping now - it generally is a long process until I find one thing that doesn't look actively terrible and sort of fits. I think people think I dress really crappily because I'm a mom or because I don't have a sense of style, but its more that I can't find things that suit my aesthetic in my size.

This needs to go onto my Evernote motivation list.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:

Moon: does your Y have classes? Might not be cheap though (the YMCA here costs more than private, but I guess that varies). The places here have a heated pool for arthritis and shallow water classes. Maybe look aeound and see what you find? Only about half of the classess offered were deep water.

I live sort of in the boonies and the closest full sized Y is about a half hour away. There's a Y outlet in town that offers really minimal programs. Poo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Moon, there are a few fitness videos on Hulu, including some yoga videos. They're not super long - about 20 to 30 mins, with a few hour long ones.
http://www.hulu.com/search?q=fitness

There is a Shiva Rea one here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/244199

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I wish I lived within 30 minutes of a place to go! I hate living in the middle of nowhere.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

lw, thank you so much for expounding on that! it's so nice to hear from someone who's been through it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tofulish wrote:
Moon, there are a few fitness videos on Hulu, including some yoga videos. They're not super long - about 20 to 30 mins, with a few hour long ones.

Ohh I will have to figure out how to do the IP blocking thing so I can check them out. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:15 pm 
WRETCHED

At my lowest weight, I had lost 160 lbs and loose skin definitely got better over time. I wouldn't stress about it too much yet. I'd love to be back there :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

linanil. wow! you guys are amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:47 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Moon wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Ohh I will have to figure out how to do the IP blocking thing so I can check them out. Thanks!

Love Yoga Zone on hulu! Most are nice and gentle, or easy to modify.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:54 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Somehow I've gone from losing roughly half a pound each week for the last few weeks to dropping a couple pounds in a few days. We'll see if it's still at that level when I do my "official" weigh-in on Thursday, but can I just say that bodies are weird? Bodies are weird.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I had a ridiculous day yesterday. Trying not to beat myself up about it. Only thing to do is make better choices today. But ugh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm eating all these damn muffins that I made. But I can not stop cause they are so good. BUT I HAVE TO STOP.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Put them in the freezer so you'll have deliberate muffin treats when you really want.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89 ... 145  Next