| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

ndpittman wrote:
I had a ridiculous day yesterday. Trying not to beat myself up about it. Only thing to do is make better choices today. But ugh.

Definitely don't beat yourself up! I know you know this :) That has always been my downfall: well this day (or week) is totally blown, might as well eat whatever the fork I want.

Anybody know if PPK Cashew Queso freezes well? It's so calorie dense and I made a whole batch. Which is awesome. And difficult to resist.

Hosting my RPG group tonight and I have to provide snacks... I think I'll put out cuties, cucumber slices and chips. We usually also do peanuts but I end up going feral on those, so I don't think I will.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:35 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Thanks, geeksweetheart! I will say that I am proud of myself for facing it and tracking it. I just wish it didn't affect my mood so much. I feel so sad today. I'm going to let myself lie around a bit more, then force myself out to the gym and back home for some chores. I really need to be better about planning meals and not junking wasted produce. I love the ideas of posting things on the fridge!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ndpittman wrote:
Thanks, geeksweetheart! I will say that I am proud of myself for facing it and tracking it. I just wish it didn't affect my mood so much. I feel so sad today. I'm going to let myself lie around a bit more, then force myself out to the gym and back home for some chores. I really need to be better about planning meals and not junking wasted produce. I love the ideas of posting things on the fridge!

Thanks for sharing, ndpittman-i spent this morning feeling anxious/depressed for hard to decipher reasons a d I'm still feeling it, but Now that I'm out and about, i do feel a bit better and hopeful. Its amazing what going outside will do. (And planning an extra long bike ride on the way home to balance out some of the calories from eating so much homemade bread and peanut butter)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:50 pm 
Saggy Butt

It works great so far. I got this little menu planning notepad from the dollar spot at Target a while back, the top part is menu and the bottom part is shopping list, it's too awesome.
I feel ya sister, I'm feeling out-of-sorts today from PMS. I'm mecha-crabby.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:15 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Easier said than done, but don't beat yourself up! Just move on and have a better day today/tomorrow.

Regarding planning meals: I generally try to cook enough food to yield leftovers and immediately separate the extra portions from the pot before I sit down to eat dinner. Having a portion of leftover soup/stew/whatever ready to go when I'm hungry the next day makes me 100% less likely to graze on random crepe.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:19 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

ndpittman wrote:

There is some evidence that having the occasional day where you eat more is actually beneficial to weightloss as it reminds your body that you're not in starvation mode. Plus, if you are binging it's usually a good sign that you aren't eating enough! Bodies need fuel and they will make you give it to them.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:54 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Like j-dub said, I think varying the amount of food we eat day to day increases metabolism. Totes anecdotal, but I'll have a day when I consume way more than I intended to and the next morning the scale shows a loss. Same thing has happened to friends. That said I still get a little down if I don't follow my plan, sometimes it's easier to shake it off and sometimes its not.

What I'm loving right now: Wholly Guacamole single serve packets, Trader Joe's reduced fat tortilla chips (the only baked ones I can stand!), protein enriched pasta from Safeway made with legume flour (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calori ... i-49326479), fresh jicama sticks (mmm crispy!).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm so off tracking and feel lost as to how to get back on track. I'm really, really good at it for a couple weeks after I go spend $150 at WF by buying anything to make it fun and convenient, at least until I realize I spent my entire monthly food budget by the 8th of the month.

Of course, I still have a lot of the things I bought, so this is silly. I froze half my flax tortillas, still have my smoothie goodies, cans of beans, whole wheat pasta, etc, some yogurt left, boatloads of whatever milks were on sale.

I need to plan out an entire week today or tomorrow. I've got the week off work, so if I don't have a plan, this could be Very Bad.

I need back on my smoothies, so one of those every morning into afternoon. I'll make up one or two things from AFR for dinners, and need some snack/light lunch ideas. Maybe some edamame pesto wraps or some pizza hummus.

I need the Oprah diet. You know: personal trainer comes and tells you what to do, dietician and personal chef put tasty food in front of you.

(I really think binging is much more of a mental thing than needing food/fuel. I've never seen anything to suggest otherwise. Binging is a form of disordered eating that is so forking hard to overcome. Eating too much, or grazing, or lots of cravings might be a sign more food is needed, but classic binging I don't think so much.it can be triggered by too much food restriction, but it's still a mental health issue as much as a food issue.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I know there was a "post your healthy meals" thread recently, but I think it would be cool to have a "post your healthy days" type thread (or post in here) since it's kind of all about the balance. I could eat the healthiest lunch in world and then throw it out of whack by eating 800 Oreos for dinner. It might be helpful for the people who have trouble planning out their meals? I dunno.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I started a menu thread. It's putting together the pieces that I'm bad at.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:12 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

lavawitch, link?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

lavawitch wrote:

I need the Oprah diet. You know: personal trainer comes and tells you what to do, dietician and personal chef put tasty food in front of you.

This! You know, I read somewhere that nearly all of the Biggest Loser contestants have gained all their weight back and then some. Although I think that was on Cracked.com so I don't know how accurate it is (it wasn't like a joke or anything, though). That's why! It is so much harder to do it on your own.

What is ...pizza hummus?!

ETA: I went to Big Lots to pick up a couple things (and found a good deal on canned diced tomatoes with FENNEL! I've never seen those!) and I saw something that I was SO SAD to remember existed and is not vegan. Frankenberry. Although I bet Frankenberry in March is pretty stale and nasty. And it's probably good for my weight loss not to eat that crepe.

Last edited by geeksweetheart on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:25 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

To what?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:31 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

lavawitch wrote:

"I started a menu thread." Or am I crazy and totally misreading the meaning of that sentence? Too much coffee...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

ndpittman, you have been looking familiar to me and I realized why. Did you ever watch Big Love? You look like Ana! She is pretty, that is a compliment.

http://www.hbo.com/big-love/cast-and-cr ... index.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Limone wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

"I started a menu thread." Or am I crazy and totally misreading the meaning of that sentence? Too much coffee...

Sorry, I'm slow on the uptake. Will go look.

http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25417

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:42 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

geeksweetheart wrote:
ndpittman, you have been looking familiar to me and I realized why. Did you ever watch Big Love? You look like Ana! She is pretty, that is a compliment.

http://www.hbo.com/big-love/cast-and-cr ... index.html

Weird! I never watched Big Love, and never heard of the actress. Thank you!

Also, yes to Oprah's diet, personal trainer and chef sounds like heaven.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

As a curious test, I logged into MFP and entered my height and weight. It immediately told me I needed to take in no more than 1200 calories a day which is not enough if all I planned on doing was lying in the bed and breathing.

It would never, never be enough to keep me going long term or if I really worked out. Be careful those fitness tracker sites. I'm not convinced that they give good information as much as they encourage a disordered relationship with food.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:11 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Vantine wrote:
As a curious test, I logged into MFP and entered my height and weight. It immediately told me I needed to take in no more than 1200 calories a day which is not enough if all I planned on doing was lying in the bed and breathing.

It would never, never be enough to keep me going long term or if I really worked out. Be careful those fitness tracker sites. I'm not convinced that they give good information as much as they encourage a disordered relationship with food.

Yes, a lot of those sites encourage eating below your BMR, which is just asking your body to crepe out on you. Even eating at your BMR is bad news, I think. Of course, slow and steady isn't as fun as losing weight quickly (and then inevitably rebounding).

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:22 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Vantine wrote:
Be careful those fitness tracker sites. I'm not convinced that they give good information as much as they encourage a disordered relationship with food.

The good thing about MFP (and probably some of the others) is that you can customize your daily limits. When I first signed up it said I should be eating less than 1250 a day, which is sort of extreme because my BMR was like 1550-ish. Their suggested macros can also be sort of bizarre. I don't think they're actually "encouraging" undereating, they're just using a stupid formula which only takes your goals into accounts, not necessarily what's "healthy".

But anyway, I'll agree with you to some extent. There are scores of threads on there along the lines of "OMG, I have been eating a 900 calorie diet and exercising a lot and I don't understand why my diet isn't working". That's the sort of thing that could easily be clarified with a five minute Google search though, so perhaps some of these people are in denial and the tracker sites are just reinforcing preexisting behavior? With all that being said, I still think it's a great tool, especially if you're someone like me, who gets their info about nutrition elsewhere and wants to keep a food diary, but doesn't want to manually calculate the details for every single thing I eat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:25 pm 
WRETCHED

MFP is pretty aggressive with low calories and over generous with exercise calories. I personally like picking a number and sticking with it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:21 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

It's all in how you use it. I think it's a great tool, but I use it strictly as a tracker and have set my own goals. It does bother me when I see friends on there who clearly are not eating enough, and I hope MFP's "advice" isn't leading them in the wrong direction.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:23 am 
Saggy Butt

Since we're talking about MFP tracking--MFP says my goal should be 1680 calories a day. I put it into a Baylor College of Medicine calorie needs calculator, and it said I need over 2600 calories to maintain. Is 1680 too much restriction? Where should I be at? (I weigh 310 right now and I am 5'5")

1680 feels pretty comfortable for me as far as feeling like I'm eating enough. I'm losing well.

I have to say, going vegan has made me so happy and I'm feeling healthier. The low-carb thing was miserable. I am having some carrot-raisin salad with my lunch which I haven't had in ages because of low carb. Yum, yum, yum.

ETA: Anywhere reliable I can find out what my carbs/protein/fat goals should be, also?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

1680 sounds kind of reasonable. Thinking back to my nutritionist, I needed to maintain since I was borderline to qualify for surgery (I know, nuts. But there is a huge asparagus difference between losing 10 and 150lbs), and we were around 2000 or so.

The big thing was she never wanted any patient to go below 1200-1500. She really stressed that 1200 number as being the absolute basement, barring anything extreme and with medical supervision.

I'd say that if you feel good, have energy, aren't hungry, and are losing a safe amount, you are good. My nutritionist also suggested varying calories weekly or trying a few places until it felt "right."

My totally unqualified opinion would be to add calories if you are regularly losing more than 2-3lbs/week. Better for any loose skin issues too!

ETA: if you are on the lower end of calories, are you tracking your protein? You might need a higher % of your calories from protein than otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

Alternating week to week sounds like maybe a good plan. I need to track to see how much I'm losing a week. I do think it's more than 3 pounds.

I have been tracking protein--MFP says 63 grams a day and I'm usually between 60-70.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 145  Next