| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:51 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I had a pseudo good day. I'm under my calorie limit, but ate no vegetables. I must tidy my kitchen so I can actually do some cooking. Found the "bowls" section in AFR, and I'm super excited to try some.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:21 pm 
WRETCHED

I had a really good day! I needed it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:24 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Can't stop eating peanut butter right out of the jar, with a spoon. It's so good. But definitely hinders my ability to stay within a reasonable amount of calories each day. So my pants are a little tighter than I'd like them to be, time to pull in the reins!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:22 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've gotten a few, "Wow you look thin!" comments recently. I actually used my super high tech body density scale that i really should use more often by have shyed away from for months because I don't want to know if am losing muscle. But even though I'm 1 pound up I've lost 4 pounds of fat since the last time I used the scale 4 months ago!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:44 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Weeeell, here I am. I'm at a point where my body image is sort of hurting because I'm noticing that it's hard to do certain things like yoga as well as others because my body size. I'm currently at 225lbs and I'm 5'7", and I'd like to get back to 200lbs, which I think is a very realistic goal. I look fantastic at that size, but this extra 25lbs has really changed my body.

I take SSRIs, which certainly increase my appetite and slow down my metabolism; they are infamous for doing that. I also love food and cooking, and love to overindulge.

I have a bit of a history with eating disorders, and so my psychologist is involved as of today to make sure things don't get derailed. That being said, I can't monitor calories or weigh myself like some of you do, because I could see that as being a really negative thing for me. So I guess I'll do the occasional weigh-in at the gym and just go by how my pants are fitting.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:51 pm 

Oh, and what do you guys do for snacking at night? I am such a night snacker; I'm going to curb the huge bowls of cereal and toast but I need something else to tide me over.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Welcome to the gang! I don't calorie count or any kind of counting really. I do weigh in but it is only a guideline. I am actually rubbish to remember the number unless I write it here. For me the clothes fitting thing is the most accurate measurement so I say certainly go with that!

I'm a big snacker as well. I've noticed the past 2 weeks I haven't been snacking as much as usual. I'm putting it down to not having all that much in the way of junk food around and an increase in the amount of fruit I am eating. I'm also doing the cookbook challenge which is forcing me to try new things so when I have my meals I am really satisfied. I find when I don't eat interesting I end up reaching for the naughty things!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Hugs PPPP! You are one of the most stunningly beautiful and stylish women I've ever met, at any size, but I so hear you on a few pounds making a difference in your comfort level.

For snacking, I try and look at why I am eating. I was eating so much sugar and fat (cookies, muffins, candy, toast with PB and jam) at night, and realized that I was eating it because I was tired so the sugar would give me a bit of a lift and let me stay awake longer to hang out with my partner once L was in bed or be on the PPK etc. So I tapered off to 2 cookies a night (instead of a sleeve of Oreos) or a tablespoon of sunbutter or a tablespoon of chocolate chips in almond milk etc. That burst of sugar is so comforting at night, so I don't want to do without it completely, but I don't want to eat as much as I had been. So instead I make a small portion and try to consciously savor it, if that makes sense.

I really love cooking as well, so I've just been making the same food and tossing extra greens in. Its so easy to just "extend" a dish by putting in a 10 oz bag of frozen broccoli. You can put it into anything and it just bulks up your meal. I was baking and freezing things for a while, because it gets them off my countertop and I can still defrost them one at a time for quick snacks, but now am giving that a break for a bit because I have so many in the freezer.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:56 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

paprikapapaya wrote:
Oh, and what do you guys do for snacking at night? I am such a night snacker; I'm going to curb the huge bowls of cereal and toast but I need something else to tide me over.

I am also a night snacker. Air-popped popcorn is great! I hesitate to mention calories since you won't be tracking them, but it is fairly low-cal so you can have quite a bit of it without obsessing about portion sizes. :) Sometimes I also use a tbsp of nooch per 1/4c (unpopped) kernels and a little bit of cooking spray to get it to stick for an extra noochtastic snack.

Carrot sticks and hummus are another favorite of mine. I do measure them out into a little bowl because they're easy to overeat, especially the hummus. Even if you're not tracking calories you could certainly scoop out a portion into a separate bowl, because I know when I eat out of the container I end up eating most of the damn thing, haha.

Oh, and fruit! Fresh fruit is really expensive here at this time of year, so I get bags of frozen mango chunks and berries and stuff like that, defrost and munch on them. I will usually have a portion of about half a cup to a cup of fruit at a time, depending on what it is.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:57 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I actually tend not to be too much of a night snacker, but am in the mid afternoon when I need that extra hit to keep me going. I find my fatigue levels go really insane around 2-4 pm. To deal with my snack needs I also do single spoonfuls of peanut butter and really savour it. If I'm extra hungry I'll put the peanut butter on a single slice of bread or on a piece of flatbread. Another snacking go to for me is corn chips. Though they're usually frowned on I find if I pour out salsa in a very small dish and only eat enough chips to finish the salsa (about 10) I am satisfied and I'm not sitting with the whole darn bag. I also eat cucumber slices a lot.

Beyond that, all I can really say today is this: drinking almost an entire bottle of wine is the worst idea ever when one is calorie counting. I'm going to be more on track this week!

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

Welcome Paprikapapaya!

For night snacks something that is complicated to eat is good cause it takes longer. A few clementiness or a few pistachios is satisfying to me. Also veggies with tofu dip or a little guacamole, taking a small serving of dip and putting the rest away.

Keeping my hands busy at night doing knitting or another project is good too.

I lost another pound woot!

I had a small victory yesterday. Baked cookies for the first time in ages and I a. Only baked half the batch and put the rest of the dough in the freezer and b. left the cookies at my friend's house and didn't take any home with me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That's awesome geeksweetheart!

For evening snacks, I usually have a small thing of oatmeal with peanut butter. Delicious and filling.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:45 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I feel ya on the night snacking, paprikapapaya. That's definitely my downfall as well. I agree with everyone about portioning things out - I have a horrible habit of taking the peanut butter jar and a spoon and going to town on it, but if I stick the spoon in the jar and put the jar away, then I eat WAY less. Same thing for anything really - I tend to eat chips, hummus, salsa, etc. all out of the container, and it's so easy to eat and eat until the whole package is gone.

I find a lot of the time when I feel "snacky" in the evening, I'm actually just thirsty or looking to have something fun in my mouth (that's what she said?!) but not actually hungry. So I'll make a cup of licorice tea or something so I have that sweet taste and I satisfy my thirst too.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:23 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

It was a big shocker for me the first time I weighed a single tablespoon of peanut butter. I used to stir a spoonful into my oatmeal every morning, thinking it was a tablespoon, when really it was probably two or more. I love nut butters and would never give them up, but now I always measure carefully.

As it turns out, one tablespoon of nut butter more or less disappears in a bowl of oatmeal. That's kind of a bummer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:39 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

My favorite evening snack has been a flax seed tortilla made into a quesadilla with some of the low fat AFR hummus. I use the foreman or dry fry or a spritz of cooking spray.

It's very satisfying and tasty. I seem to crave carbs at night. And I drink lots of water. This really helps cut the cravings. I normally drink a lot of water throughout the day, but since I can't go to the bathroom at work, I do get dehydrated on those days and can tell a difference by the evening.

Roasted chickpeas are another idea. I'm not usually motivated enough to make them though.

The other thing I've been doing is to plan a lot of room in the evening so I dont go over points. I'm doing WW, so things are counted by fiber, protein etc, and not just calories. I don't know if something like that would work for you: you track things and amounts, but not the nuts and bolts, if that makes sense. I'm not great at tracking, but it's helped me choose the flax tortilla instead of the white corn tortilla, which is a much better nutritional deal. That's what I like about WW: it sort of trains you to make the better choice and doesn't lead to obsessing (for me at least!). You can also do a WW plan that doesn't count anything, but allows unlimited amounts of certain food items, but restricts other food items. I don't like that aspect though since that can end up triggering my former binge behavior.

Good luck, pp! I know what you mean about the few pounds making a big comfort difference. That's pretty much where I'm at now too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:39 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

oops double post

Last edited by NomiMalone on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:53 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

For night snacking, I plan to have a bit of dessert - fruit or a square of chocolate. I don't feel like I'm missing out, but still somewhat healthy.

Current favs are: pineapple with slivered almonds and baked apple slices with a T of granola (tastes like real dessert...)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the best thing tonight! Strawberry rhubarb applesauce. I have been wanting rhubarb so bad and I finally found frozen at Sprouts.

1 package frozen rhubarb
2 apples, diced
2 cups fresh strawberries cut into chunks
3 TB agave syrup
2 packets stevia
1/2 cup water

Mix, bring to a boil and them simmer over med-low heat for about an hour or until reduced by half.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:49 am 
WRETCHED

Limone wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

I am also a night snacker. Air-popped popcorn is great! I hesitate to mention calories since you won't be tracking them, but it is fairly low-cal so you can have quite a bit of it without obsessing about portion sizes. :) Sometimes I also use a tbsp of nooch per 1/4c (unpopped) kernels and a little bit of cooking spray to get it to stick for an extra noochtastic snack.

Carrot sticks and hummus are another favorite of mine. I do measure them out into a little bowl because they're easy to overeat, especially the hummus. Even if you're not tracking calories you could certainly scoop out a portion into a separate bowl, because I know when I eat out of the container I end up eating most of the damn thing, haha.

Oh, and fruit! Fresh fruit is really expensive here at this time of year, so I get bags of frozen mango chunks and berries and stuff like that, defrost and munch on them. I will usually have a portion of about half a cup to a cup of fruit at a time, depending on what it is.

I'm not a night snacker but I am a midday snacker and this is what I do. I also drink tea to help curb but if it is at night, maybe a good herbal would help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:27 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Thanks for all the ideas about snacking. That's definitely a problem for me.
And eating together with my boyfriend :/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:40 am 
WRETCHED

Well I'm trying something again, which is doing intermittent fasting. There are many, many ways to do this but I like the 2 meals, 1 snack in 8 hour window method. The fact that I get hungry earlier in the day means my calories are consumed by 5 or 6pm. My husband comes home at 7pm or so which means we never eat dinner together. This annoys him and he somehow thinks I'm not eating (my asparagus is a testament to the fact that I am).

So for the past week or so, I've been drinking tea/water in the morning, then I eat a fairly hearty lunch, an afternoon snack and a lighter than lunch dinner. My calories are the same, in the 1500-1700 range but the fact that I fast in the morning helps me control my hunger better and I'm able to eat with my husband.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 am 

Thanks, guys! Yeah, for me it's just time to curb some of the eating habits I've developed. It's easy to not see how quickly things add up. Big breakfast, big lunch, lots of snacks, big dinner, more snacks? Yeah, that's clearly not working for me...it's a tasty, tasty way to live, but I'm gaining and gaining.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:40 pm 
Semen Strong

I was holding steady through my period and had started blaming myself (well, what do you expect when you blow your calorie limit every day and eat waffles, pizza, chocolate and peanut butter). And now my period is over and the scale readjusted 5lbs lower. I've lost 13lbs since starting in February, despite eating lots of yummy food. Onwards!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Wow, awesome!

I've been horrible since the iron treatments. No appetite, so grazing on junk food and not drinking enough water. I am going to try to get on track this week and check the scale next week.

My mom just made a massive surprise batch of AFR hummus and falafel, so that should help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Measured again this morning (forgot to yesterday) after an abs intensive workout yesterday and decided to check against first measurements in mid to late January. Lost a total of 8 inches! Not a ton, but slow and steady which is a good sign that I'm doing it right anyways.

Reply to topic  [ 3577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 144  Next