| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made cookies last night. Managed to eat vegetables yesterday, which is good, given my track record on weekends sometimes! Still feel gross from eating too many cookies, but will happily foist the rest onto co-workers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

How would the calorie counts on homemade vegan sausages compare to store-bought? Got some Tofurkey Italian thingees from Trader Joe's and while they are very tasty and full of protein, also quite high in fat. Plus I imagine it'd be cheaper to make myself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:26 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Abelskiver wrote:
How would the calorie counts on homemade vegan sausages compare to store-bought? Got some Tofurkey Italian thingees from Trader Joe's and while they are very tasty and full of protein, also quite high in fat. Plus I imagine it'd be cheaper to make myself.

Depends on the recipe, I suppose! I think the main advantage to making them yourself is that you can control the sodium content, since Tofurky and stuff like that tends to be quite high in salt. Anyway, I recommend using a recipe calculator (there are ones on MFP and SparkPeople) to figure out the nutritional info for your favorite recipe. Just for reference, the seitan/bean sausage I make frequently is 245 calories/19g carbs/3g fat/36g protein per sausage. But I use minimal oil in mine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:56 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

So my husband and I both gained lots of weight during my pregnancy (my son is now 9 months old). About 2 months ago we started making a concerted effort to lose weight. I have been following a modified (meaning I cheat regularly) Eat to Live (low oil, low carb, vegan diet) and my husband who says he NEEDS meat to live decided to follow that stupid Paleo diet. Well, since the first week when he lost 5 lbs he hasn't lost a lb and I have been steadily losing so he has agreed to eat whatever I give him for the next two weeks. I am thrilled to pieces to be able to enjoy some meals together since because we eat such different food usually one of is still cooking when the other is ready to eat. Now I am torn between wanting to feed him the most dietetic Eat to Live type food so he sees the most difference on the scale and would perhaps be motivated in that way to keep going, vs feed him the tastiest of vegan foods and thus "convert" him...I guess I really should go the weight loss route. That was actually how I became a vegan- I was an overweight vegetarian who decided to do the Eat to Live vegan diet for weight loss and realized vegan food was just as tasty and somehow when you aren't consuming eggs and cheese all the time you are able to look at animal welfare in a whole new light...Anyway I am excited for the next two weeks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:17 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Can you do both? Lots of great, tasty stuff in AFR.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm starting to really feel the difference in a lot of my clothes. I don't feel like I look different unless I compare to being heavier in some of my more snug items, but that might be because of my skewed body image.

I hate that I'm doing this for purely vain reasons. I'm not worried about my health, and I doubt the 10 ish pounds I've been aiming for would make that big a difference in terms of joint pain, I just want to look cute in my clothes. And instead of me trying to work on my body image issues and patting myself on the back for disciplining myself and generally eating healthier, I'm beating myself up for wanting to lose weight because then I'll feel prettier. Buh.

That said, one really good thing is that I am drinking a lot less in one sitting. A bottle of wine is lasting over a few nights instead of my usual clearing it in two (or one). I can't afford to buy booze often so when I do it's nice that it is lasting longer. My mom was an alcoholic so it is nice for me to have more reasons to reign myself in. Calories are as good a reason as any.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

If its a healthy weight goal, what's wrong with wanting to look cute in your clothes? I'd only worry about that if your goal is unhealthy or unrealistic or not maintainable. Also, hopefully there is a good point where you both feel good and feel that you look your best. Losing 10lbs won't solve any body image issues.

That's kind of where I'm at too, but I will feel better if I lose some weight since my middle feels too bulky and kind of uncomfortable. I think the women I work with are rubbing off on me though because I've noticed I don't want to wear things that aren't loose and I feel fat around them. It's all their stupid constant chat about how fat THEY are, right in front of me, and I outweigh each of them by 30-40 lbs, and they aren't that much shorter than me (one is taller). I pretty much assume they see a fat cow when they look at me. I shouldn't care, but since I have past issues, it's forking with me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:36 pm 

My pants that I bought after my thru-hike are fitting well again (after one wear from the washer). That is a complete change from most of the time since I first gained weight post-hike. So happy to be back to that size. Looking to lose more but I'm very happy to hit that milestone.

Moon, I feel the same way, pretty much. I don't think I need to lose weight for health reasons, it's completely vanity. One thing that I'm trying to hold onto and use instead of vanity though is for me, losing weight will help with training for half marathons, and general goals. I'll get faster/etc, which is something I really want.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:45 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Moon wrote:
That said, one really good thing is that I am drinking a lot less in one sitting. A bottle of wine is lasting over a few nights instead of my usual clearing it in two (or one). I can't afford to buy booze often so when I do it's nice that it is lasting longer. My mom was an alcoholic so it is nice for me to have more reasons to reign myself in. Calories are as good a reason as any.

Same thing goes for me. Is drinking less alcohol a bad thing under any circumstance? No, I don't think so. I'm also drinking less storebought fruit juice, which is good because it wasn't providing a whole lot for me nutrients-wise.

For me my motivations for losing weight are a combo of health and vanity, but it's really like 85% health/15% vanity in my case. I've felt TERRIBLE since I put on so much weight (around 40 lbs). More tiredness, more pressure on my messed-up knee, difficulty sleeping etc. My final goal weight is what I weighed in 2009 minus five pounds, so that's where the vanity kicks in, haha.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:08 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Lots of non-scale victories in the PPK this weekend! Woo hoo.

My clothes have started fitting better too, put on a dress today I haven't worn in a while. I've lost another pound this week, which feels great as I have a cold and haven't been tracking my calories for 2 weeks. I really feared I'd gone out of control. Happy that I'm not dependent on tracking my calories right now and feel like I have a better understanding of portions.

I'm still going to miss my target for the month, but focusing on the positives!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks guys :) good to know a little vanity is ok.

I feel like I'd be a lot happier if my weight sat differently. It goes straight to my stomach so even though I'm short and mostly slim/average I always have my gut. And it can be a lot of gut. But I know thinking that way is silly because I'd have something to else to hate if I had wider hips or bigger arms and a flat stomach. My girlfriends have always said they are jealous of my butt or legs and here I am wishing I had their stomach or boobs. Is anyone ever 100% happy with their body? What a lovely concept.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My weight loss goals are/ were almost entirely vanity-based. Clothes didn't fit me nicely, XL pants didnt always fit, and I often felt frustrated. Finally, I just thought that having a negative dialogue with myself over and over was getting boring and wasn't working, and couldn't possibly be that much harder than just losing some weight. I've never (really) tried to lose weight before, so it's been really interesting for me. I'm pretty stoked because I'm just two pounds away from my goal, after about 7 months. Anyway, I agree with Lavawitch - as long as the goals are healthy, a little vanity is fine. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:39 pm 
Inflexitarian

sooo....not losing weight. I'm pretty well holding steady at just above 200. But my pants are falling off. Literally. The pants I wore today and Tuesday I can pull down without unbuttoning.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:50 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I am afraid to post that I lost ten pounds. Because when I crow over successes I usually stop having them. But I did.

Funny how doing the things that need doing results in the things being actually done.

75 more to go.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

way to go ariann! keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ariann, that's awesome! Well done.

I am having a bad eating day. I tried to start well but all I want is starchy things and nothing is enough. It's so wet and warm out its making me feel really heavy and my body keeps asking for more food.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

I haven't been tracking this week because I was sick. Gained a couple pounds, sigh.

Way to go Ariann!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:18 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'm going out of town for a few days to visit my dad and I'm a bit worried about what I'll end up eating, hah. He doesn't really like to cook at home, so I know we'll end up eating most of our meals out. Portion control is so difficult at restaurants! I suppose I'll do my best and hope that it doesn't make a huge impact. :/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Blah still holding steady, I need to cut out booze!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:55 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My mum has come to visit for a week and apparently she's trying to lose weight as well - I think this will be good, we can motivate each other!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:24 pm 

Congrats Ariann. Doing what needs to done is a lot harder than it sounds.

I'm recommitting after a long period of feeling sorry for myself and basically not wanting to do anything "good" for myself. I quit weight watchers. It didn't seem to be helping me much and I hate their aps. I'm going to be a lot more serious about portion control and tracking calories. I hate to get obsessive about it, but I need to pay more attention because what I'm doing now is not working.

fupapack wrote:
Blah still holding steady, I need to cut out booze!

This is a problem for me, too. I really rely on having a glass (or two) of wine after I put the baby to bed to unwind. I've got to cut it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Morgyn wrote:
My mum has come to visit for a week and apparently she's trying to lose weight as well - I think this will be good, we can motivate each other!

I love that, it helps so much!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Baked cookbook challenge cookies yesterday, ate one, and let the boys destroy the rest of them. Yesssss.

But overall my tracking yesterday was bad. I was just nibbling on stuff for so long and I'm pretty sure I missed some stuff. Also I just kind of ate crummily in general. Same with Saturday when I ate a veggie dog on a white bun, a veggie burger on a while bun, and a couple of sodas and so on. Just unhealthy stuff all around.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I went away for the weekend and the vegan options were as good as a theme park tends to get- chips, potato wedges, pasta so not great for diet.

And it's my sons birthday tomorrow so cake.

I wish I could just say no and not find every excuse in the book to eat crepe. I'm not liking myself very much altogether just now, which doesn't help in feeling positive and motivated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:04 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Butternut wrote:
Congrats Ariann. Doing what needs to done is a lot harder than it sounds.

Seriously, although I find it's easier to just do it all the way than to do it half-assed.

Quote:
I'm recommitting after a long period of feeling sorry for myself and basically not wanting to do anything "good" for myself. I quit weight watchers. It didn't seem to be helping me much and I hate their aps. I'm going to be a lot more serious about portion control and tracking calories. I hate to get obsessive about it, but I need to pay more attention because what I'm doing now is not working.

Aw. Honestly, the only thing that has ever worked for me is obsession, or at least single-minded devotion to the cause. I lost about forty pounds that way and kept it off for a few years 10 years ago (and then gained about 10 pounds during a move but was steady there until I got pregnant). The only thing that really seems to do it for me is pre-planning all of my eating and not allowing myself to eat anything off the plan (including anything healthy, because it's a slippery slope and it also requires me to make choices and any time I have to make a choice, particularly when I'm hungry, I am opening myself to making a non-constructive one). I messed up this weekend by not planning Sunday and then being out of the house most of the day having to fend for myself without any guidelines, and the result was french fries, beer, ice cream, etc. Pre-planning makes the whole experience less stressful because I don't have to make any decisions past the initial planning ones. Last night after dinner I cooked breakfast for the whole week and portioned it out and made lunches for the whole week which I brought to work and are in our work fridge ready to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 144  Next