| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:48 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Limone wrote:
For those of you who don't belong to a gym: What are some of your favorite ways to exercise? I don't have the budget for a gym or classes at the moment, but I'm looking for some fun ideas. I have a kettlebell, one of those tension band thingies, a yoga mat, an exercise ball and of course my own body and the ability to balance it off various things. If you use DVDs, do you have any specific favorites? I used to go running a lot, but my knee is kind of messed up at the moment so that's probably out for now.

Hi Limone, I don't belong to a gym either and for strength training I like DVD's, as I like a routine or someone to tell me what to do. The latest one I bought that I like is Bob Harper's Kettlebell Sculpted Body.

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Harper-Kettle ... bob+harper

I like the Bob's and Jillian's because they are definitely hard enough where I don't feel like I'm wasting my time (this is what keeps me from trying other trainers' DVD's) but I just prefer Bob to Jillian personality-wise. This one definitely got my heartrate up! There's another one of his that utilizes kettlebells and supposed to be more cardio oriented i guess? Kettlebell Cardio Shred.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So, I started a new job and couldn't exercise as much so I gained a fair amount of weight super quick! But now I'm adjusting. A big problem was that I was totally stress eating after I got off work but I think I've curbed it.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 am 
Nailed to the V

This is totally annoying, I m exercising more and eating less - and more healthy - and STILL gaining weight. It's like whatever I eat/do makes no difference whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:26 am 
Not NOT A Furry

vixki wrote:
This is totally annoying, I m exercising more and eating less - and more healthy - and STILL gaining weight. It's like whatever I eat/do makes no difference whatsoever.

I used to think this way when I got stuck at a plateau, until I started keeping track of EVERYTHING I ate. Do you have a calorie-counter? Also, have you calculated your BMR?

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So that tablet that was causing my intense sugar cravings had to be decreased last Monday. Since then I've enjoyed having only moderate cravings. Even though I am currently premenstrual I no longer consider walking across hot coals barefoot for a pack of sweets. It's been lovely.

I also decided to not weigh myself last weekend because I just didn't feel like it. I might weigh in this weekend but I'm not too worried about keeping such a close eye on it now that the sugar craving has calmed a bit.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:26 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

fupapack wrote:
So, I started a new job and couldn't exercise as much so I gained a fair amount of weight super quick! But now I'm adjusting. A big problem was that I was totally stress eating after I got off work but I think I've curbed it.

I feel ya! I graduated with my bachelor's last May and I didn't really realize how much busier I would be in the "real world". It also doesn't help that at one point a few months ago, I was working FOUR jobs. So basically zero time for exercise and a lot of stress induced eating. I think I'm finally getting it under control. And it helps that I'm down to three jobs :)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

fupapack wrote:

I've been very underemployed the last 4 months, with lots of time for the gym, running, hiking and cooking healthy food. My seasonal summer job is starting, AND I'm starting another new job on weekends! From 15 hours a week to 3 jobs is a good thing in the long run, but... I'm worried about making time to keep up with my exercising, and like you, I know I eat when I'm stressed...and tired.

How did you curb your stress eating? By having healthier food around?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:59 am 
Nailed to the V

AlwaysHungry wrote:
vixki wrote:

I used to think this way when I got stuck at a plateau, until I started keeping track of EVERYTHING I ate. Do you have a calorie-counter? Also, have you calculated your BMR?

Yeah, I've kept track of all I eat...I usually get between 1500-1800 per day, I never go over 2k. I dunno if I'm still eating too much to lose. I've used the BMR calc that was posted a few pages ago and it puts my 'maintaining' calories as ridiculously high, I'd be Mr Blobby if I ate that much! So I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding it.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:03 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I am preparing to leave for five days in Portland for vida vegan con... I wonder how many pounds I can pack on in five days!! Ha ha! I am giving myself a total calorie holiday to fully enjoy everything I want to eat,it will be so fun!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:16 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

ameyfm wrote:
I am preparing to leave for five days in Portland for vida vegan con... I wonder how many pounds I can pack on in five days!! Ha ha! I am giving myself a total calorie holiday to fully enjoy everything I want to eat,it will be so fun!

On one Portland trip I actually lost weight and I was eating 4 meals a day, plus snacks.. I think it was all the walking. I highly recommend walking everywhere you feasibly can!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:46 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

vixki wrote:
AlwaysHungry wrote:
vixki wrote:

Yeah, I've kept track of all I eat...I usually get between 1500-1800 per day, I never go over 2k. I dunno if I'm still eating too much to lose. I've used the BMR calc that was posted a few pages ago and it puts my 'maintaining' calories as ridiculously high, I'd be Mr Blobby if I ate that much! So I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding it.

I know it seems counter intuitive because we are constantly told to eat absurdly small amounts of food, but our bodies need fuel! If you're eating too far below your maintenance level youre body will stop losing weight as it slows down metabolism and preserves everything it can. If I remember correctly you're both tall and thin...is it possible you're at a weight that's good for your body and maybe your brain hasn't caught up? Even if not, 1500 calories is really not very many. Especially for someone tall an active.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tenacious LD wrote:
fupapack wrote:

I've been very underemployed the last 4 months, with lots of time for the gym, running, hiking and cooking healthy food. My seasonal summer job is starting, AND I'm starting another new job on weekends! From 15 hours a week to 3 jobs is a good thing in the long run, but... I'm worried about making time to keep up with my exercising, and like you, I know I eat when I'm stressed...and tired.

How did you curb your stress eating? By having healthier food around?

I don't really have unhealthy food around. Basically if I have a bad day I'll buy something and eat it on my commute home. I just didn't stop and do it is how I got out of the habit I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:37 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

j-dub wrote:
I know it seems counter intuitive because we are constantly told to eat absurdly small amounts of food, but our bodies need fuel! If you're eating too far below your maintenance level youre body will stop losing weight as it slows down metabolism and preserves everything it can. If I remember correctly you're both tall and thin...is it possible you're at a weight that's good for your body and maybe your brain hasn't caught up? Even if not, 1500 calories is really not very many. Especially for someone tall an active.

J-dub is so, so, so, so right. I don't want to threadjack and make this all about memememe, but I've been Eating The Food for six weeks with wonderful results. I think I gained a couple of pounds of water/glycogen in the first little while, but it balanced out. And the difference in how I feel is incredible.
Some reading:

http://gokaleo.com/2012/09/19/body-comp ... lem-areas/

http://www.niashanks.com/2013/02/should ... sing-less/

http://www.stumptuous.com/hormones-home ... need-carbs

http://www.niashanks.com/2011/10/my-bat ... ed-eating/ (I'm not saying anyone has disordered eating, I just think she makes some good points)

I know the idea of eating more calories is intimidating, and it flies in the face of the standard dietary advice we've been hearing all our lives. But if eating less and exercising more isn't working ... maybe eating more and exercising less is the answer? Eating even less and exercising even more is not a sustainable life plan.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:49 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Nebraskalaska wrote:
ameyfm wrote:

On one Portland trip I actually lost weight and I was eating 4 meals a day, plus snacks.. I think it was all the walking. I highly recommend walking everywhere you feasibly can!

I know! That's my usual m.o. , but this time I'm bringing my mom along and she's not up for so much walking. Oh well!!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:22 am 
Nailed to the V

j-dub wrote:
vixki wrote:

I'm tall and used to be pretty slim, I'm not that big even now but I've put on enough weight that a lot of my clothes aren't fitting. I can't afford and don't want to replace all these clothes in bigger sizes (I currently own ONE pair of trousers that fit me) so am just trying to get back to my "normal" weight. It's possible that my body has changed but at 20 i figured I was done with all that.

I guess I have no idea really how many calories is "right". I've always heard it's ~ 1800 for a woman maintaining her weight, but it seems everywhere says different. Why is it all so confusing?! :p

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:12 am 

vixki wrote:
j-dub wrote:
vixki wrote:

I'm tall and used to be pretty slim, I'm not that big even now but I've put on enough weight that a lot of my clothes aren't fitting. I can't afford and don't want to replace all these clothes in bigger sizes (I currently own ONE pair of trousers that fit me) so am just trying to get back to my "normal" weight. It's possible that my body has changed but at 20 i figured I was done with all that.

I guess I have no idea really how many calories is "right". I've always heard it's ~ 1800 for a woman maintaining her weight, but it seems everywhere says different. Why is it all so confusing?! :p

Well, the short answer is that almost no one knows what the fork they're talking about, and most people (including trainers and doctors) have been colonized by the toxic diet industry that tells women to eat ever-less. The longer answer is that one blanket maintenance amount of calories makes no sense. I'm 5'6" and x amount of pounds. Some days I burn about 2500 calories, other days I burn upward of 3000 (weights days). So me eating 1800 would be way too little, EVEN for weightloss. You're y tall and z pounds and m active, so you eating the same number of calories as me, never mind 1800, may not be appropriate for your needs. Check out this calculator and then subtract 3-500 cals for weight loss. I know it seems like a buttload of calories, but think about what it's accounting for. I need about 1500 calories simply to function in a comatose state. 1500! Add in walking and cooking and thinking and sitting and working out and I need a lot more than that.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:14 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

The calories you need depend largely on your size (a smaller person will require less) and activity level. You can find Basal Metabolic Rate calculators online (I think that Go Kaleo website has one or links to one) that will help you figure out the number of calories someone your size doing your type of exercise will need to maintain their current weight. From there, you can figure out a healthy number of calories to lose or gain weight.

Also, your body will continue to change pretty much forever. I'm 32, and my body has changed every couple of years since I was about 18. At 20, it's pretty normal that your body would change shape a bit, so you might just need to get some pants that fit the current you, rather than the you of a year or however long ago. I know it's a massive pain in the asparagus, but nothing makes you feel crappy like pants that don't fit!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:27 am 
Nailed to the V

Aye, I did the BMR calculator on the Go Kaleo website and it said I needed ~ 2400 cals, which seems an awful lot to me. I don't exercise more than the average woman I don't think, but being 6' maybe that's it?

Ehh I know I know. I probably ought to just buy new clothes. But having a 36" inseam means...new clothes = TONS OF MONEY. And I can't try anything on in stores because that size does not exist in stores. I just don't have the budget right now. I used to wear tons of button ups too, which now no longer do up (I never thought my boobs would be "big")... but as a student who's just moved house, and has just spent a ton of money on my upcoming wedding...I guess I'm trying to make excuses to not buy clothes :p

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I don't think there's necessarily an "average" woman, so I'd probably take what the calculator says more seriously than an idea that you have about what a "normal" or "average" woman should consume. Being 6 feet is certainly a fair bit taller than many women, so it makes a lot of sense that you'd want to take in significantly more calories than someone who is, say, 5'2.

If you'd like an example, I'm quite small, but I take in about 2,500 calories daily because of my activity level, and that's just to keep from losing weight, which is not something I want to do (I read this thread for modding purposes).

I know buying new clothes is a massive bummer, but yeah, it sounds like that might be a good bet for you - certainly healthier than taking in 600 calories less each day than you need!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

vixki wrote:
Aye, I did the BMR calculator on the Go Kaleo website and it said I needed ~ 2400 cals, which seems an awful lot to me. I don't exercise more than the average woman I don't think, but being 6' maybe that's it?

Ehh I know I know. I probably ought to just buy new clothes. But having a 36" inseam means...new clothes = TONS OF MONEY. And I can't try anything on in stores because that size does not exist in stores. I just don't have the budget right now. I used to wear tons of button ups too, which now no longer do up (I never thought my boobs would be "big")... but as a student who's just moved house, and has just spent a ton of money on my upcoming wedding...I guess I'm trying to make excuses to not buy clothes :p

My BMR is 1800 and I'm only 5'4"...so, it seems pretty plausible to me that you might need 2400 calories.

I really think it's far more useful to focus on macro/micro nutrients and how your body and brain feel than it is to count calories. I'm now on a high-protein, low-glycemic diet (only for a particular health condition--I don't think things like regular bread are bad for the average bear). I doubled my usual protein intake which, of course, upped my calories by quite a bit. I primarily track my protein, fiber, and potassium but myfitnesspal displays calories whether I like it or not.

I was really surprised to see that, on average, I eat about 1800 calories a day now even though I feel like I'm eating four meals a day. Really, I feel like I'm eating mass quantities of food each day in comparison to how much I ate prior to changing my diet. I wasn't counting calories then but I highly doubt I was getting nearly as many as I am now. And yet, I'm losing weight. I wasn't losing weight when I was eating less. On days when I get the most exercise (2 hours of fast walking throughout the day and maybe some wii hula hoop), I'm eating 2200 calories a day. And still going down in size. J-Dub's case in point.

And if you're eating according to your BMR and you're not dropping pounds, it might just be that your current weight is healthy.

Also: I like J-Dub's reminder that hardly any one knows fork all about the "proper" amount of calories for a particular body.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:50 am 

I would just like to clarify that BMR is your basal metabolic rate, aka the absolute bare minimum you need to function in a coma. To quote Wikipedia, BMR is "the release, and using, of energy...sufficient only for the functioning of the vital organs, the heart, lungs, nervous system, kidneys, liver, intestine, sex organs, muscles, and skin."

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure, which is your BMR (keeping you alive only) plus all your activity (walking, cooking, dancing, standing, etc).

Generally if you are eating at your BMR you are, in effect, starving yourself because you are providing only enough to keep your vital organs functioning, so to fuel all of your wonderful movement your body is going to a) slow down your metabolism to preserve everything it can and b) take from lean mass (muscle). Neither of these things are good!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:27 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oops--I should clarify that I only eat about 1800 calories when I'm doing absolutely nothing for the whole day. I eat a lot more when I'm exercising.

I should also clarify that I'm not a fan of looking at the number of calories consumed. I have been tracking micro/macro nutrients and happen to see my calorie consumption because myfitnesspal makes me.

Vixki--you might not even be eating as many calories as you think you are. When I did see how many I was consuming in a day, I was pretty surprised. I thought I'd been eating a lot more than my BMR. I gave you the numbers to offer you some comparison...I'm eight inches shorter than you are, exercise only in the form of walking all the damned place, and am consuming almost as much as your BMR. I'm also getting healthier than I've been in years (losing some weight, trading some fat for muscle, not being deficient in potassium). So, it stands to reason that perhaps you might be setting impossible standards for yourself?

This is all to reiterate J-Dub's point that, so often, we think we're consuming too much even when we're not getting enough. How ingrained in our consciousness is the idea that "thinness" is a moral marker and women shouldn't take up too much space? And how much worse does that get when we assign arbitrary numbers as measurements of whether we're acceptable or not?

ETA: Oh, and to correct something I flubbed earlier: if you're eating according to your BMR and losing weight, that doesn't mean you *should* be losing weight.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:39 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

j-dub wrote:
I would just like to clarify that BMR is your basal metabolic rate, aka the absolute bare minimum you need to function in a coma. To quote Wikipedia, BMR is "the release, and using, of energy...sufficient only for the functioning of the vital organs, the heart, lungs, nervous system, kidneys, liver, intestine, sex organs, muscles, and skin."

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure, which is your BMR (keeping you alive only) plus all your activity (walking, cooking, dancing, standing, etc).

Generally if you are eating at your BMR you are, in effect, starving yourself because you are providing only enough to keep your vital organs functioning, so to fuel all of your wonderful movement your body is going to a) slow down your metabolism to preserve everything it can and b) take from lean mass (muscle). Neither of these things are good!

Yes, this is true! and I want to add that when you calculate your needs, it's really just your ESTIMATED needs. To figure out your true daily energy expenditure you'd have to do some more serious, individualized medical tests. And height is definitely a factor in determining BMR. Not everyone who is the same height and weight is going to metabolize nutrients the exact same way, so it's a good guess, but there are a lot of other factors that go into how many calories you need. The best indicator is really the amount of calories on which you maintain your body weight or lose or gain weight, but you have to look at those trends over time. 2400 kcal is really not that much! And if that's what your estimated needs are, but you want to lose weight, you can subtract 250-500 kcal from that.

Just as an example of how estimated needs can vary, a person getting all their nutrients through tube feeding who is just laying in bed, might need calories just at or even less than their BMR to maintain weight and someone else who is maybe healing from some sort of wounds or has an infection might lose weight getting 2x the amount of their estimated needs.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

I have a goal of 1520 right now (and that's at trying to continue to lose weight) and I do eat more when I exercise.

OOOh! I finally went and bought new pants. My old ones have been pretty loose for a bit and almost falling off. I got one size smaller. They're pretty tight in the tummy but that may just be because I'm so used to them being loose.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:35 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ok, so I weighed myself this morning pre-breakfast and I was 131.4lbs. Which is great. Then while breakfast was cooking I had the urge to poop so of course I went. So then in the name of scientific research and poop weight analysis I decided to weigh myself post-poop (I hadn't eaten or drunk anything) and I weighed 132.7lbs. How?!!!! I'm mighty confuzzled. I really hope my scales isn't banjaxed.

I'm off work this week so my plan is to increase the amount of water I am drinking since it is a lot easier to achieve when I am off. I know I'm not drinking enough at present and that is making me crave sugary drinks a bit after my walks. I don't have any sugary drinks in the house so I don't get to give in.

The decrease in my meds dose has definitely made my sugar cravings a lot more manageable. This week I was more carb crazy than usual though but that could have been because of female hormones and stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 145  Next