| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:58 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I normally do all my grocery shopping for the week on Sunday and then do the prep work too. Freeze bananas for smoothies, wash, dry, and pack greens in tupperware, and get my kitchen ready for cooking. But sometimes I'm just too tired to get out of bed that 10 minutes earlier so I can make the smoothie.

I had chia pudding for the first time recently at Le Pain and it was soooo good! It was made with coconut milk and had a raspberry jelly swirl in it. I put it in the freezer for a bit and it was the best thing ever. I really hope I can recreate it and love it homemade too. But I want to bump mine up and use a hemp and coconut milk combo, fresh berries, and shredded coconut.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm visiting my friends and family back in the states and these trips home usually involve a lot of shopping (I never shop in Europe...I just wait until I get to the states to buy cheap stuff I need) and eating. Over the last year with my depression and a lot of stress and anxiety with grad school and work, I've become really unhealthy. I'm not really in a place where I feel like I need to lose weight, per se, but I need to eat better and I want to feel more comfortable. I'm still around the same weight - maybe a few pounds more than usual - but all of my clothes feel tight and that makes me super uncomfortable and frustrated.

My mom has had luck with Weight Watchers and I think I'm going to join the online version. I was using My Fitness Pal for a while and I still think it's good for calculating nutritional content, but I like the concept of the WW points and the simplicity of the "eat as many fruits and veggies as you want" thing. I don't know if it's going to help me, but I need a little structure in my life to help me get back on track.

I also bought some new fitness clothing since all of my other stuff is too small/tight/uncomfortable, which usually gave me an excuse for not wearing it and not working out.

If I join WW online, I want to be able to use iphone apps to track stuff. Anything I should know? When I search WW on the app store I get a lot of stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:11 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I don't have an Iphone, but on my Droid in the app store I could find the official WW app. You can go on their site and download it from there (I think) so that way you know you are getting the correct one. It should be free if you already paid through the site. I'm not sure how it works if you are paying through the app.

Maybe you just need a bit more physical activity if you aren't trying to lose any more than a few pounds. You should drop your water weight and that bloaty feeling pretty quickly just by doing some cardio a few times a week.

Plus all that walking and shopping is cardio!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GraciaKai wrote:
I don't have an Iphone, but on my Droid in the app store I could find the official WW app. You can go on their site and download it from there (I think) so that way you know you are getting the correct one. It should be free if you already paid through the site. I'm not sure how it works if you are paying through the app.

Maybe you just need a bit more physical activity if you aren't trying to lose any more than a few pounds. You should drop your water weight and that bloaty feeling pretty quickly just by doing some cardio a few times a week.

Plus all that walking and shopping is cardio!

Yes! I've done a lot of walking, haha. I definitely need to up my activity, but I also want to eat better. My pattern over the last 6 months has been skip breakfast, sometimes skip lunch, drink a ton of caffeine, binge in the evening on things like noodles and peanut sauce. For example. I think WW can help me structure my eating a little better so I'm getting more nutritious food in and not overdoing it on some stuff.

I'm going to try the WW online thing for a few months and see what happens. Right now I'm in vegan junk food heaven in my hometown, so I have a feeling this will be the real test of "dining out" in a healthful way, but when I get back to the Netherlands the challenge will be making healthy meals and fitting exercise and cooking into my work schedule. I developed a bad habit this year of not prioritizing any of that and I feel like crepe because of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:25 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It sounds like you have a good plan and know what you need to do to feel better. Good luck! I think you will be great since you are being mindful. That's half the battle to me!

Personally I didn't think WW gave me anything that SparkPeople or MFP didn't. And I actually prefer SP because there is a huge database of vegan food already loaded in by a lot of the users. So I don't have to constantly type in recipes and food items that aren't on my list. With WW I was spending a lot of time adding food items that I couldn't find in their system. So I opted to cancel it and just go back to a free program. The SP app isn't free but their website is, so I just use that.

I have a huge issue with portion control, probably my biggest downfall. And I ignore my problem most of the time and just fluff what I'm inputting and mostly guess. I think what's more important that tracking calories and all that is getting a food scale and weighing everything out. And knowing what the proper portion of something is. Like, last night I made mashed sweet potatoes for dinner but I have no idea what a single serving of that would be. So I just guessed, more than likely I ate more than what I thought I did. I need to work on that!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:48 am 
And you never will.

Oh man, GK, I have the opposite problem(?). I weigh every single thing I cook/eat. Like, to the gram. If I can't weigh it, I generally don't eat it. I HATE estimating and will way over-estimate if I can't measure because I'm paranoid. I only run into problems when I don't log my food diligently, because I get that "all or nothing" feeling and then go off the deep end (like I did over the holiday weekend).

What I've been struggling with the last few days is not getting enough healthy fats. Apparently I don't eat enough fat? Yesterday I had to add a tablespoon of coconut oil to my protein shake to bump it up a little, and today I only have 15g planned (I always pre-log my days so there's no guesswork throughout the day). I guess I could eat half an avocado.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:56 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thats interesting, I'm always around 40g of fat unless I overdo it on nut butters. Are you going by what MFP tells you should be or are you shooting for your own goals? Almonds! Raw almonds always help me increase protein and fat when I need it.

Yeah, I really need to start measuring and weighing everything!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:16 am 
And you never will.

I'm actually using NutriMirror - I like it because it gives me a breakdown of percentage of calories from carbs, fat and protein, as well as tracking sodium, fiber, vitamins A and C, calcium and iron, and it puts it all in pretty graphs that show red if something's not in balance and green if it is. It appeals to my visual nature, I guess!

Anyway, I'm supposed to get 20-35% of my daily calories from fat, but for instance today I'm at 12%. I guess it's because I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, I'm over on carbs and under on fats. I'm still off sugar so I guess that has to be it. I still have 170 calories left for today though, so maybe I'll just munch some almonds? Sounds good to me!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:33 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You could always add in the almonds and see what it comes out to be. And then try the avocado and compare. One might be way higher in calories than you want. But both are a good idea!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:23 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Without trying today, I got to about 60g protein. I do probably need at least another 20grams but I've got another 1000 calories to work with, so I'm pretty happy with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:00 pm 
And you never will.

GraciaKai wrote:
You could always add in the almonds and see what it comes out to be. And then try the avocado and compare. One might be way higher in calories than you want. But both are a good idea!

That's a really good idea, and I should have done that before impulse eating a giant bowl of watermelon, using up 105 calories in the process! I could always change around some other foods for later in the day, but I think I'll just be low on fat today and do better tomorrow (especially since the watermelon is gone now!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I mean if you feel fine eating low-fat some days, I wouldn't fret it really.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm 
And you never will.

Totally! I'm not really worried about it, I'm just consistently under (sometimes WAAAAY under) every day, and I know some vitamins need fat to be absorbed and stuff. Just looking for suggestions for bumping up my overall fat intake.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

What about adding some nut butters or flax meal to your smoothies? I am a pro at taking something simple like a smoothie and making it a million calories! My husbands favorite on the weekends is this.

Soy milk 1.5 cups
Frozen bananas 1 or 2
Peanut Butter 3 tablespoons
Oatmeal 1/2 cup
Chocolate Vega protein powder 1 scoop
Maple syrup or agave 1 tablespoon

It's sooooooo good! We split this between the two of us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:05 pm 
And you never will.

Good idea! I already add chia seeds to my morning smoothies, but maybe I should throw some flax in there too. I don't really like nut butter in my green smoothies, but I could probably just eat cashew butter with a spoon :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:06 pm 
And you never will.

Of course, my real problem is that if I get my fat high enough, I have to sacrifice the calories from something else, and that makes me grumpy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh, yeah I wouldn't mix greens with a nut butter in a smoothie either. But flax or hemp would be a good addition. I'm not sure of the fat quality in hemp but it could be an option.

Do you have a Whole Foods with a nut butter station? I just discovered it in mine, and oh man is it good. Mine has three big grinders pumping out fresh natural nut butters. Peanut butter, almond butter, and honey roasted PB which obviously we can't have. But the others are great and so much cheaper than buying a small jar of natural PB. If I had a vitamix I would make my own. But this is as good as I can get it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:40 pm 
And you never will.

I used to get my nut butters from those stations! But now I have a Vitamix (as of like two weeks ago!) so I'm going to start making my own once I use up what I have. So excited!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 pm 
Huffs Nooch

GraciaKai wrote:
Oh, yeah I wouldn't mix greens with a nut butter in a smoothie either. But flax or hemp would be a good addition. I'm not sure of the fat quality in hemp but it could be an option.

Do you have a Whole Foods with a nut butter station? I just discovered it in mine, and oh man is it good. Mine has three big grinders pumping out fresh natural nut butters. Peanut butter, almond butter, and honey roasted PB which obviously we can't have. But the others are great and so much cheaper than buying a small jar of natural PB. If I had a vitamix I would make my own. But this is as good as I can get it!

I wish we had a Whole Foods in Denmark, it sounds like such a magical place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:42 pm 
Tofu Pup

poopiebitch wrote:
happypiggies wrote:
Green smoothies are the best :D My standard is OJ, banana, date, spinach and flaxseed - what's yours?

This last week I've done a combo of apple, pear, banana, green grapes, and lots of spinach, with a splash of lemon juice. They're SO good! And I bought a ton of organic grapes at Whole Foods when they were on sale, so I'm going to bulk prep and freeze some more in a couple of days for next week. I think I'll pick up some kale and do a mix of spinach and kale!

Oh I can't wait til I have a blender that can handle apples, that sounds yum. My friend and I have been trying to make one most days this month. Hers involved broccoli :s braver woman than I!

Graciakai, do hemp hearts have a strong taste?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:30 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I havent tried hemp hearts yet. What I bought was hemp powder. The taste didnt bother me at all but the texture is a bit grainy. That would be my only complaint. I think for the most part if your adding it to smoothies you can mask the flavor with whatever you like. It was only 16 dollars for a container so I was willing to try it. But im going to look for hemp hearts to add to my chia seed pudding this weekend when I go shopping. So I'll report back!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:36 pm 
Semen Strong

Hemp hearts have a very delicate nutty taste - I sprinkle them on salads and they are amazing.

I had a pina colada smoothie this morning: pineapple, banana, kale and coconut milk. YUM!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:11 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I totally put nut butter in my green smoothies. I usually use baby spinach though, so it doesn't flavor it too much. I usually do baby spinach, almond milk, protein powder, frozen banana, nut butter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:34 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I tend to be low on fat as well (unintentionally; apparently I eat a LOT of protein, too many carbs, and not enough fat!). You know what else I'm bizarrely always way low on? Potassium. At least according to MFP.

On days when I'm making a conscious effort to balance out macronutrients a bit more, I tend to eat more nuts (mixed into overnight oats, or just straight up), half an avocado, store hummus (tends to be fattier than my at home stuff), oooor anything my spouse cooks, heh.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Today I messed around with the WW points and realize there are some things that are really going to give me trouble in my current diet - stuff I love to eat but that is just way too high in points to justify how often I eat them.

Anyone know of some good breakfast recipes that are reasonable in WW points? We do green smoothies with some flax seed, hemp seeds and almond milk (usually), but I am trying to add more to my breakfasts since I feel best when I eat a lot in the morning. And sometimes we don't have the stuff for smoothies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 144  Next