| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:32 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

2-3 hours a day! Wow, in that case Im happy for you! That is a huge time suck. I wonder what you were doing differently than what I do? I dont measure with a scale. But I do track. It only takes me a few minutes though. I pretty much eat the same thing every day except for dinner. So I just copy meals over from day to day. I cant imagine spending that much time thinking about food each day.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:37 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Glad you had a nice breakthrough Ashley! That is a lot of time to spend logging food.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:19 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

When I was still tracking I was definitely spending an hour or more a day tracking. It wasn't just logging the foods I ate, but researching the foods I could eat and calculating the calories of my hypothetical meals, and browsing recipes on the internet to try and find the best match for some food I ate in a restaurant. I really like eating out, so it got complicated.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:28 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

That's kind of my red flag for myself. I track, but if I find myself feeling like I can't eat something because of what the calorie tracker says, I know that it's time to stop tracking. I should also say that I'm not so much trying to lose weight now as maintain and making sure I hit nutrients.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Nebraskalaska wrote:
When I was still tracking I was definitely spending an hour or more a day tracking. It wasn't just logging the foods I ate, but researching the foods I could eat and calculating the calories of my hypothetical meals, and browsing recipes on the internet to try and find the best match for some food I ate in a restaurant. I really like eating out, so it got complicated.

Yes, this was me too. I was driving myself nuts. And cooking became a monumental task because I'd weigh every ingredient and divide out my portions and calculate the recipe, etc etc etc. Half the time I ended up just eating something out of a package because it was so much less of a headache.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:07 pm 
And you never will.

I was kind of like that the first time I logged my food a few years ago. I was really obsessive about it, to the point where I wouldn't eat something if I couldn't weigh it, and I wouldn't go out to eat, and I was probably spending too much time on it.

This time around I still have some of those tendencies (I weight things if I'm at home and when cooking a meal) but I'm not so strict about it. Like, for a recipe I'll put in "1 bell pepper" instead of weighing the forking bell pepper, or I'll just measure out equal portions rather than weighing the finished recipe and then weighing each portion. I also have a TON of recipes and meals entered now (granted it took me a long time to enter all that stuff in), so it only takes me minutes to pre-log an entire day unless I need to build a new recipe, in which case it's maybe 20 minutes depending on how many components the recipe is.

For me personally, I need to have every bite accounted for, because otherwise I will go WAAAAAY off the deep end in two seconds flat and eat like an entire cake or something. That said, I can totally see how it can become unhealthy for some people (and was for me at one time as well).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So if you guys are adding a recipe into the calculater you actually measure each ingredient rather than use whats programmed into the site? I never thought about doing that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:41 pm 
And you never will.

I'm using a different calculator (NutriMirror) so I don't know how it is with MFP or whatever you're using, but when I build a recipe now I just enter in whatever measurement the recipe calls for. I can also make menus which then add a whole list of foods to my daily log when I use them, and I can go through and change the measurements/weights on anything that is different that day (if that makes sense?)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:20 am 

For me, I just make it as close as I can get, especially for fruits and veggies - I mean, small banana, xs, whatever, close enough. I estimate when I divide recipes into portions.

Ate too many cookies yesterday (like 600 cals worth? it was 5 cookies from VCIYCJ) but weight only went up by .2, so winning!

my new plan is that if I do a good job all day I can have ONE cookie for desert.

have been in migraine hell lately, so all things are affected by this.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:25 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I think sometimes you just need to eat the cookies. As long as it doesn't feel like you are bingeing or something else problematic, then go for it. Similar to the Go Kaleo and Eating the Food type of theories about restriction leading to your metabolism decline thinking you're in starvation mode, Jackie Warner's one diet plan included to "treat meals" a week, an extra 1500 calories if you've been on plan all week.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:26 am 
WRETCHED

Based on GraciaKai's comments, I've been watching extreme makeover weight loss edition while exercising sometimes. They are inspiring, especially those running at 300+ lbs but then they all so far are much younger than me (15 years or so). The shows are also sad in the beginning too. I've only watched a few on youtube but plan to watch more.

I've been doing good as well, my clothes are a little looser. I've been planning meals, avoiding eating just to eat which is hard because I do realize that I love eating. I agree with the idea that sometimes you just want a cookie and that is fine. I think the 'oh i'm restricting, I ate a cookie and blew it, might as well eat them all' is where people get in trouble, including myself. I wrote about it in the intuitive eating thread but I had french fries the other day and I only have french fries a couple times per year if that, but I ate 1/3rd of my serving and left the rest without even thinking about them. That was a huge accomplishment for me.

The biggest thing is I'm exercising every day and now I'm wearing a pedometer trying to reach specific goals. I realized how much working at home has left me sedentary which is not good. The pedometer gets me back to a decent level of activity if nothing else.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:53 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

dropscone wrote:
I'm down to 27 on the BBC's BMI chart now. Slow and steady! Got to not get impatient, as the last thing I want to do is crash diet in impatience only to pile it all back on, which is what happened the last time I lost a lot of weight.

That was a quote from about 10 months ago. Now down to 26 on the BMI chart so definitely not crash dieting! Still, progress! Another half stone and I'll be within "normal" parameters although I'm aiming for a bit more loss than that overall, maybe 14 pounds or so.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:28 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
I think sometimes you just need to eat the cookies. As long as it doesn't feel like you are bingeing or something else problematic, then go for it. Similar to the Go Kaleo and Eating the Food type of theories about restriction leading to your metabolism decline thinking you're in starvation mode, Jackie Warner's one diet plan included to "treat meals" a week, an extra 1500 calories if you've been on plan all week.

oh yeah it definitely wasn't a binge - they're nice normal sized cookies, and no one can eat one.

linanil good job! I do like EM Weight Loss and I'm glad you're doing well!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:48 pm 
Semen Strong

Does anyone have any idea of resources on how to best manage your weight while pregnant? I was so happy to lose excess weight and I am hoping not to get as big as I did last time - in part because it contributed to my knee issues and other heath problems last time.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Congratulations on your pregnancy, Tofulish! I have no advice, but I wish you a healthy and happy pregnancy!

As for calculating recipes on MFP, I found the most annoying part of it was all the inaccurate entries for foods in the database. There are probably 30 different entries for "1 bell pepper," all with different calorie counts. I found that the only way to satisfy my desire to log accurately was to go by weight. I love to use my scale for baking, but there is no good reason to weigh a bell pepper when you're making soup. So! I'm glad I got over that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Congrats Tofulish! Thrilled for you! I've no tips at all for you sorry. Just eat as healthy and well-balanced as you can and plenty of fluids..... and pray you don't get wild, insatiable cravings for cookies and ice-cream.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Congratulations Tofulish! I also have no advice, just best wishes!

I've been "Eating the Food" and I feel soo good. No restriction - I'm eating way more than I ever have while trying to lose weight, and I feel great. My clothes are already starting to feel loser. I guess it's because I'm no longer doing the restrict-binge cycle that was typical for me when I was trying to lose weight? Regardless, yay for "eating the food"!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Congrats Tofulish!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:06 am 
Naked Under Apron

I'm learning that weight watchers hates carbs! Damn. I made veggie fajitas last night for my mom and i and the tortillas were three points a piece. I can see how if I eat lots of fruit and veggies during the day i can save points for a meal with carbs in the evening, but man! It also makes me think about whole wheat pasta since whole grain stuff is fewer points, but that stuff tastes like shiitake usually. I'm in a grieving process at the moment, I think,realizing that if I'm going to get healthier and loses few pounds I'm going to actually have to stop eating the way I do.

We had to put my childhood cat to sleep two days ago and I pulled some serious emotional eating. But the thing is, it doesn't always take a tragedy for me to eat like that. I'm a bored eater, a stressed eater, etc. and my go to food during moments like that is copious amounts of white pasta with peanut sauce. Not very WW friendly!

I'm trying to reach for fruit and "special" treats when I want to bored eat - things like berries that are usually too expensive for me to eat often. It's hard, though, when I want to eat a half a baguette with hummus instead.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:30 am 
And you never will.

I've been back on track the last few days and decided to weigh myself after skipping my weigh-in last week (due to being in the middle of a stuff-my-face-fest). I'm really surprised by the results, actually. I thought I went way off the rails last week, but thinking back I realize that even though I wasn't tracking my food or sticking to my no-sugar rule, I was still much more mindful of what I was eating than I used to be. All that to say, I still managed to lose 4 pounds over the last two weeks, despite a few days of letting loose. So, woo?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:07 pm 
WRETCHED

Congrats Tofulish! I was thinking maybe you can email Ginny Messina to see if she recommends anything? I know she has Vegan for Her but there might be something more focused on pregnancy.

Sorry to hear about the kitty pickled.

Poopie, good job!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:23 pm 

poopie, hurray!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:58 pm 
Naked Under Apron

You guys, I am freaking starving today trying to stick to this points thing! Granted, I'm trying to "save myself" for homemade enchiladas tonight, but damn. I had fruit for breakfast and a salad for lunch of just veggies and a bit of dressing. I can't quite figure out how you're supposed to stay full and eat in a way that is healthy AND lose weight like this.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's super frustrating. I know you can "earn" points by working out, which I haven't been doing, but I can only imagine I'll be more hungry when I do that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:18 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

How many calories does housework burn? I didn't have much of an appetite the last few weeks because it was hot and all the exercise I did was walk to work (about 1/2 mile?) and back every day, or I was on holiday, but last two days have been cooler and I've done a bit of walking plus quite a bit of housework and suddenly I'm hungry.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:00 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

pickledtreats wrote:
You guys, I am freaking starving today trying to stick to this points thing! Granted, I'm trying to "save myself" for homemade enchiladas tonight, but damn. I had fruit for breakfast and a salad for lunch of just veggies and a bit of dressing. I can't quite figure out how you're supposed to stay full and eat in a way that is healthy AND lose weight like this.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's super frustrating. I know you can "earn" points by working out, which I haven't been doing, but I can only imagine I'll be more hungry when I do that.

You need to be eating a lot more protein and a little more fat, the calories from those foods will keep you fuller longer. Fruit and salad isn't enough food to keep you satisfied or happy until dinner time. Try adding 1 or 2 servings of protein rich foods to every meal.

Dont be afraid to dip into the extra weekly points. If you are always hungry and not getting enough calories your metabolism is going to slow and it will ultimately become harder to lose weight.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 3581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 144  Next