| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Great job! That is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:59 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I got cronometer on my computer. I put in all my recipes, the ones i make up and the ones i make from cookbooks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:44 am 
Ninja Master

linanil wrote:
I'm kicking booty. Trying not to weigh but can't help myself. I'm down nearly 20 lbs in the last couple months. I am doing intuitive eating-ish things. I am also doing some exercise every day and wearing a pedometer to make sure I get a minimum amount of steps every day. Yesterday, I wore a pair of capris that were tight on me last month and now I think they are too loose. Food doesn't have the same appeal if I'm not restricting it although I did have a dream last night that I was eating multiple tofutti cuties. Then I woke up sad that I had no tofutti cuties but honestly, I don't really want any right now. Maybe next weekend if it is hot, I'll buy some.

That's awesome, congrats!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:36 pm 
And you never will.

Okay, real talk. I need serious advice.

I've had pretty great results the last couple of months restricting calories. I haven't really done much in the way of exercise due to other factors, so it's pretty much just been diet only. But... I think I haven't been eating enough? I've been following what the calorie tracker recommends for losing 2 pounds/week (which is a reasonable rate considering I am obese), and have lost 20 pounds since June 1st doing that, so something must be working. Right now I'm averaging about 1250-1300 calories a day, but I'm hungry a lot. I mean like genuine hunger, not boredom or whatever. I just assume I'm going to be hungry if I'm losing weight, right?

So I went back and found the link to the Total Energy Expenditure calculator earlier in the thread, and it says my BMR is 1826 and my TEE is 2728. And that's based on sitting all day except one hour of standing a day, which is not realistic at all (especially on days when I'm baking for 8 straight hours, when it says my TEE should be a mind-blowing 3532). I just can't really wrap my mind around those numbers though.

I've had such good results with what I've been doing, but I'm afraid it's not sustainable. But I'm also afraid that if I increase my calories I'm going to stall (or worse, gain) and all will be for naught.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I think you might be surprised, Poopiebitch. I say give the higher numbers a go for a bit, you can always go back to what you're doing now if you find yourself gaining alarmingly, but I've found a bit of variation helpful, and not leading to anything more than a couple of pounds up, which I've then lost okay again. If you lose too much in one go you know it's not going to be sustainable, and it just plain sucks to be hungry all the time!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:02 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

bastah wrote:
So I need to lose 35 lbs to get to the weight where I used to go "SHOOT, I need to lose weight!" This means that I'm at my heaviest weight ever, which is disappointing because I do exercise, but I guess just not enough and I guess I don't eat as well as I thought I did (I will never be able to do the Intuitive Eating thing--not for a while anyway). Basically I need to lose about 40 lbs to be at the weight I used to naturally get to in high school that I thought was fat. I'm fine with getting to just that weight.

I would be careful about the mindset that your high school weight is your natural healthy weight. As we get older, especially women, our metabolisms slow a bit and we naturally gain some weight. The problem is a lot of people trying to lose weight set their sites on that high school weight and then get really frustrated when they either can't reach that target, or reach it and then have a really hard time maintaining. I was definitely determined to get back to my early high school weight for a long time, but the fact is, I'm now ten years older and my body has gone through a lot of changes, not at all limited to some weight gain.

Not saying that you can't be your high school weight, only your body knows what your healthy sustainable weight is, but if it winds up becoming a frustrating situation for you there may be some biology playing a part in that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm not sure if I can help at all going off of that TEE thing. That basically blew my mind so hard that I decided to forget it existed and went back to what worked for me before.

Off the top of my head I would say exercise and eating more fiber and protein would help you. But that is lame to say and it really depends on each person.

I don't think you have to be hungry to lose weight. There are def some days when I'm hungrier than others and if I'm truly hungry then I just eat something. But I try to make sure it's not sugary salty crepe.

I notice that when I'm working out and actively burning calories on my off days or throughout the rest of the day I just naturally fell less hungry and like it doesn't take as much food as it used to to fill me up. That might just be me mentally, but it helps me to keep going on that productive path and work through my tired days.

Try some really filling casseroles that have lots of beans, rice, and veggies. You can eat larger portions of stuff like that without it killing your calories for the day.

My favorite snack right now is a gf english muffin toasted with veganaise and sliced tomato with some salt. It's really hitting my craving factor right now for some reason. And my cravings change all the time so I kind of just go with them. I get really sick of the same foods all the time easily. So I try to change my lunches every week based on my cravings. For some reason nut butters aren't appealing to me at all at the moment. And I know that this snack isn't really giving me much in the way of protein but it is keeping me satisfied so I'm eating it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:57 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

poopiebitch wrote:

I've had pretty great results the last couple of months restricting calories. I haven't really done much in the way of exercise due to other factors, so it's pretty much just been diet only. But... I think I haven't been eating enough? I've been following what the calorie tracker recommends for losing 2 pounds/week (which is a reasonable rate considering I am obese), and have lost 20 pounds since June 1st doing that, so something must be working. Right now I'm averaging about 1250-1300 calories a day, but I'm hungry a lot. I mean like genuine hunger, not boredom or whatever. I just assume I'm going to be hungry if I'm losing weight, right?

So I went back and found the link to the Total Energy Expenditure calculator earlier in the thread, and it says my BMR is 1826 and my TEE is 2728. And that's based on sitting all day except one hour of standing a day, which is not realistic at all (especially on days when I'm baking for 8 straight hours, when it says my TEE should be a mind-blowing 3532). I just can't really wrap my mind around those numbers though.

I've had such good results with what I've been doing, but I'm afraid it's not sustainable. But I'm also afraid that if I increase my calories I'm going to stall (or worse, gain) and all will be for naught.

I originally was going by my BMR, which was about 1500. I was going to do 1200, because I remember that being acceptable back in the day, but there's been a lot of research since then. So then I was doing 1500, but I was starving too. I joined a fitness forum and was told that I was eating too few calories and that it wouldn't be sustainable. In order to not be in starvation mode, you need to eat at least your BMR. But if you want to SUSTAIN the weight loss and be healthier, you need to subtract 10-20% from your TDEE and eat that amount of calories, so I'm doing that. As you lose weight, your TDEE will change, so you adjust accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:01 pm 

Nebraskalaska wrote:
bastah wrote:
So I need to lose 35 lbs to get to the weight where I used to go "SHOOT, I need to lose weight!" This means that I'm at my heaviest weight ever, which is disappointing because I do exercise, but I guess just not enough and I guess I don't eat as well as I thought I did (I will never be able to do the Intuitive Eating thing--not for a while anyway). Basically I need to lose about 40 lbs to be at the weight I used to naturally get to in high school that I thought was fat. I'm fine with getting to just that weight.

I would be careful about the mindset that your high school weight is your natural healthy weight. As we get older, especially women, our metabolisms slow a bit and we naturally gain some weight. The problem is a lot of people trying to lose weight set their sites on that high school weight and then get really frustrated when they either can't reach that target, or reach it and then have a really hard time maintaining. I was definitely determined to get back to my early high school weight for a long time, but the fact is, I'm now ten years older and my body has gone through a lot of changes, not at all limited to some weight gain.

Not saying that you can't be your high school weight, only your body knows what your healthy sustainable weight is, but if it winds up becoming a frustrating situation for you there may be some biology playing a part in that.

I feel like I should be able to hit it though, because it's the weight I was when you met me. It was a bit pudgy for me in high school. And as an adult I have been less than that number. I'm not expecting to be able to go back to that number that I was that was even less than that (boy do I wish that I could), but I know I can at least be the weight I was when we met. Here's hoping!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just want to remind everyone that the numbers you get as your total energy expenditure and BMR are estimates, not exact numbers by any means. Everyone's body works differently, so there's no way for those calculators to really know how much energy you need or how much you're using every day.
Poopie, if you're hungry, you should eat more! It sounds like you've been losing a lot of weight, but if you're hungry all the time, it's probably not going to be sustainable. Maybe now that you've lost 20 pounds, you can aim for 1 pound a week instead of two and increase your daily intake by 250kcal. Since you know how much you're eating and how much you're losing you can kind of forget about the TEE calculators. You're doing your own research about how much your body needs and it's more accurate than an equation. So, if you're eating 1300 kcal/d and losing 2 pounds a week, but you're feeling hungry, try eating 1500-1600kcal and seeing if you can maintain some weight loss without feeling so hungry. It's going to be an experiment and if you start gaining weight then maybe you'll need to adjust again. You have a really good starting point right now, so just play around with it and see if you can find a good balance that will be sustainable in the long run.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:12 pm 
Grandfathered In

May I ask a quick question about total energy expenditure?

If I use a TEE calculator and plug in my numbers, it gives me a (ballpark) number of calories I expend in a day, right?

So that means if I consume that number of calories (while maintaining the level of activity I entered), I would expect to maintain weight? And if I consume fewer calories than that, I would expect to lose weight? (I'm trying to gauge how well this comports with my current exercise and weight loss.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:22 pm 

FootFace wrote:

If I use a TEE calculator and plug in my numbers, it gives me a (ballpark) number of calories I expend in a day, right?

So that means if I consume that number of calories (while maintaining the level of activity I entered), I would expect to maintain weight? And if I consume fewer calories than that, I would expect to lose weight? (I'm trying to gauge how well this comports with my current exercise and weight loss.)

That's my understanding of it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:45 pm 
Grandfathered In

I apologize for using the word comports. I was having an attack of some kind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yup, FF, that's what it means in theory!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:58 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

bastah wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:

I originally was going by my BMR, which was about 1500. I was going to do 1200, because I remember that being acceptable back in the day, but there's been a lot of research since then. So then I was doing 1500, but I was starving too. I joined a fitness forum and was told that I was eating too few calories and that it wouldn't be sustainable. In order to not be in starvation mode, you need to eat at least your BMR. But if you want to SUSTAIN the weight loss and be healthier, you need to subtract 10-20% from your TDEE and eat that amount of calories, so I'm doing that. As you lose weight, your TDEE will change, so you adjust accordingly.

This sounds like good advice to me (eat 10 to 20 percent percent less than TDEE). Even though eating such low calories (1200 - 1300) will pbly be effective, I think it screws up your metabolism and sets you up for yoyo dieting. I'm figuring this out for myself now, so grain of salt and all that, but poopie, I truly believe you should be eating a bit more. I mean, I recently read that the WHO defines starvation levels for women at 1800 kcal per day, and that was certainly eye opening for me....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:15 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Poopie: two thoughts. One, are you putting your exercise into MFP? (I think that's what you use?) I'm pretty sure cooking is listed as a cardio activity in MFP. I say that because you may be burning a lot more than you realize, and could be eating way under for your net calories.

Two, maybe have a day or two a week where you increase calories so you can kind of ease your way back into seeing how eating more works out? I think maybe it's scary because you don't want to undermine the changes you made/regain any weight, but I do think it's important to keep your metabolism healthy and feel satisfied so it's something that can be maintained.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:57 pm 
Semen Strong

First congratulations on losing 20lbs! And second, are you still breastfeeding Peter? Because I was losing at a comfortable clip on 1800 cals a day while BFing and even up to 1500 left me starving.

I do think its good advice to bulk up your food with more veggies but maybe you also just need a bit more fat to have you feel sated. You could experiment and just add a little extra oil to your meal and see if that helps you feel fuller longer.

Good luck with continuing to shed pounds! I do think that losing a bit of the extra weight helped tame my PCOS and got me back to ovulating like a normal person, and I know you have your struggles with PCOS as well, and I hope it helps with yours as well <3

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 pm 
And you never will.

Thank you everyone for all the thoughtful advice!

I know ijdi is right and everyone is different, so I should probably just listen to my body and eat a bit more. I mean, the hunger isn't unbearable, but it's pretty constant so it would be nice to not feel hungry all the time. I think I will maybe go to 1500 a couple of days a week and see how I feel (I'll be at 1500 today after I eat my evening snack of almonds). It's hard for me to get over this mental block, since my mother drilled arbitrary numbers into my head as I was growing up, but I'm 5'10" so surely I need more calories than she does at 5'5"? It's so hard to get past the conditioning.

I also need to remember what ndp said and log the extra activity especially on days when I'm on my feet baking all day. I probably do need extra calories those days.

I am still breastfeeding but it's hardly anything now that he's three. Maybe a total of 30 minutes a day, so I can't imagine I'm making much milk these days.

As for protein and fiber and bulking up with veggies, I'm actually averaging 53 grams of protein a day, and 41 grams of fiber. Also, between my green smoothie in the mornings and my giant salad at dinner (plus whatever other veggies I have with meals) I eat over a pound of raw fruit and about a pound of veggies (12oz of which are raw dark leafy greens like kale, spinach, spring mix, and romaine) every single day. I don't think I can eat many more fresh fruit and veg without exploding!

ETA: and I drink 12 8oz glasses of water a day, which helps with the hunger, but not always.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:21 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

FootFace wrote:

Yes, but there is a caveat. If you have been consistently undereating by a lot you may gain some weight until your body realizes it's actually going to get the fuel it needs long term. But then you should start losing.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:38 am 
Ninja Master

poopiebitch wrote:

I know exactly how you feel. A couple of years ago I lost 45 lbs ish doing 1000-1200 calories a day, during the week and a little more at the weekends. It's been ingrained into me my whole life that you have to eat lower to lose weight. But like you, I was always hungry and then I'd fall off the wagon (I hate that expression, sorry) and binge on crepe.

So I've always been in that cycle of yo yo dieting and it sucks! I am eating more now and definitely am not hungry (I'm doing my TDEE - 15% and if I go to the gym I eat extra). I refuse to weigh myself regularly now, because it makes me crazy if I'm not down a pound on Fridays. I will just let the doctor weigh me next time I go for a check up.

I don't suppose I'm losing much, I don't feel like I've lost anything. I think it will take time.

But I'm trying not to worry about that. Because for me it's no longer about the numbers, I just want to be healthier and to fit in to some of my smaller clothes, because I can't afford to buy new ones.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My TDEE in theory is something like 2300 calories a day or more. I don't see how exercising more and undereating by about 1000 calories a day is something that would be sustainable or that would not have long term effects.

If drastic calorie cutting worked, this thread would likely not exist. You should not be hungry all the time!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:16 am 
WRETCHED

Honestly, the weight I've ever lost and maintained was due to eating better portion control and calorie 'aware' but not counting calories. I also used to attribute it to the fact that I couldn't get below a certain number (still in the obese category) though. Although, looking back, most days I ate an embarrassingly low amount of calories and doing a lot of exercise so cutting calories further was not even an option.

That is mostly why I am just focusing on health these days, exercising for health, eating for health, eating when I'm hungry and not using food as a coping mechanism.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:30 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

poopie and bastah, how tall are you? i'm 5' and I'm "supposed" to get 1200 a day, but that means you guys should get more.

I was at 147.2 but i'm back up to 149.2, le sigh. that's after 1 day at 1800cals and one day at 1600 cals.i was off exercise though, so i'm going to restart today. really.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:46 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Yeah, I'm 5.3 and slooowly lose weight at 1800-2000 now, when my BMR is supposedly 1600. I dont trust the calculators but I still just always try to eat above the BMR to just to be safe. And if I felt incredibly hungry, Id definitely try to slowly up my calories.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:29 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

If you had the scratch for it, Poopie, one of those fitness trackers might not be a bad idea. I got the fitbit zip, and it syncs with My Fitness Pal. That way if I end up like, going to three grocery stores or walking a couple blocks out of my way, I get a snack! Hooray!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 144  Next