| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:25 pm 
And you never will.

appifanie wrote:
poopie and bastah, how tall are you? i'm 5' and I'm "supposed" to get 1200 a day, but that means you guys should get more.

I'm 5'10".

ndpittman wrote:
If you had the scratch for it, Poopie, one of those fitness trackers might not be a bad idea. I got the fitbit zip, and it syncs with My Fitness Pal. That way if I end up like, going to three grocery stores or walking a couple blocks out of my way, I get a snack! Hooray!

Thanks! I'll have to look into it, and in the meantime I'll try and be better about logging any extra activity I do.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:31 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah, I definitely have seen people log cooking and cleaning, so might be an easier solution.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:33 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

ndpittman wrote:
If you had the scratch for it, Poopie, one of those fitness trackers might not be a bad idea. I got the fitbit zip, and it syncs with My Fitness Pal. That way if I end up like, going to three grocery stores or walking a couple blocks out of my way, I get a snack! Hooray!

i hate hate hated the other tracker i had but i have been considering the fitbit (for like a year or two now). does the sleep stuff seem accurate? and is there a monthly fee of any kind?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:39 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

appifanie wrote:
ndpittman wrote:

i hate hate hated the other tracker i had but i have been considering the fitbit (for like a year or two now). does the sleep stuff seem accurate? and is there a monthly fee of any kind?

No monthly fee, and the apps sync really well. I don't have the sleep tracker one though, just the Fitbit Zip. It's the low end model, but I like it. If I were going to get it again, I might get the one though, but only because I live on the fourth floor and it counts stairs climbed.

Have you tried any other sleep apps? I used Sleep Cycle, but I deleted it to clear up space on my phone. I don't know what my opinion of Sleep Cycle is. I liked the alarm, but the sleep analysis was just kind of meh. Like sometimes when I'm not asleep a lie really still, so it had me in a deep sleep. I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:15 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

appifanie wrote:
poopie and bastah, how tall are you? i'm 5' and I'm "supposed" to get 1200 a day, but that means you guys should get more.

I was at 147.2 but i'm back up to 149.2, le sigh. that's after 1 day at 1800cals and one day at 1600 cals.i was off exercise though, so i'm going to restart today. really.

You should really check your TDEE. Myfitnesspal told me I needed 1300 to lose weight, and that is so off with the current research about sustaining weight loss. I'm 5'3. I think you gained weight because you were eating so few calories and then went up by so much, which is why it's not sustainable. Eating so few calories messes with your metabolism. (this is my understanding from what I've read)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:27 pm 
Semen Strong

I did the TDEE out of curiosity and it has me at 1388 (because it doesn't have an option for BFing), which seems about right given that I am 4'11. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'd just like to say a general thank you to people in this thread. The supportive and sensible atmosphere is one I'm finding a great help as I continue on my slow but steady journey.

I'm down about 10 pounds or so since I started and that, along with the warmer summer weather, has made a great difference for the better in my hip pain levels. I'm hoping to lose another 10, which will supposedly put me at the higher end of "normal" weight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 pm 

bastah wrote:
appifanie wrote:

I was at 147.2 but i'm back up to 149.2, le sigh. that's after 1 day at 1800cals and one day at 1600 cals.i was off exercise though, so i'm going to restart today. really.

You should really check your TDEE. Myfitnesspal told me I needed 1300 to lose weight, and that is so off with the current research about sustaining weight loss. I'm 5'3. I think you gained weight because you were eating so few calories and then went up by so much, which is why it's not sustainable. Eating so few calories messes with your metabolism. (this is my understanding from what I've read)

gack seriously? because more calories would be awesome. okay so with the first option selected it told me 2000 calories, so if I eat 20% less that gives me 1600 calories? (that's with me putting in working out 3 days a week)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:38 pm 

poopiebitch wrote:
appifanie wrote:

I'm 5'10".

of course! you look so much like my best friend kim (at least in pics) and she's 5'10" too!

ndpitt - don't use any other sleep stuff. i get like 8-9 hours of sleep a night and i'm still usually tired.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:54 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I must say, I have never found actual science about the whole "your metabolism gets destroyed by eating too little" thing. I definitely think it's unhealthy and very low-calorie dieting can mess with your health and brain, but it's just weird to just see it repeated everywhere but I've never seen it backed up by science. I don't see what's wrong with eating your BMR unless it makes you cranky and hungry, of course.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:55 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I must say, I have never found actual science about the whole "your metabolism gets destroyed by eating too little" thing. I definitely think it's unhealthy and very low-calorie dieting can mess with your health and brain, but it's just weird to just see it repeated everywhere but I've never seen it backed up by science. I don't see what's wrong with eating your BMR unless it makes you cranky and hungry, of course.

A very cursory google search comes up with this: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/72/4/946.full.

Quote:
The TEE inside Biosphere 2, assessed 3 wk before exit, averaged 10700 ± 560 kJ/d (n = 8). Within 1 wk after exit, the adjusted 24-h EE and spontaneous physical activity were lower in the biospherians (n = 5) than in 152 control subjects (6% and 45%, respectively; both P < 0.01). Six months after exit and return to an ad libitum diet, body weight had increased to preentry levels; however, adjusted 24-h EE and spontaneous physical activity were still significantly lower than in control subjects.

Conclusions: In lean humans, an adaptive decrease in EE appears to occur not only in states of life-threatening undernutrition, but also in response to less severe energy restriction sustained over several years.

And, T, I don't know your weight, but 1300 sounds really low to me unless you're like 100 pounds and very sedentary. Have you tried one like this where you input your activity? Chasing after Leela and Cuddles all day has gotta be burning up calories.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:06 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I have to say that I am shocked by the numbers being shared here. I can't imagine enjoying myself on a 1000 to 1500 daily calorie deficit, and that's what 1200 cal/day would be for me. I don't mean just enjoying the food that I eat, but having enough energy to sustain the activities that I like or need to do.

I find this TDEE calculator more useful than others because I don't "work out", yet I spend a non negligible portion of the day biking, standing or walking, and it adds up. It puts me at a TDEE of about 2800 these days. Sorry Tofulish, it doesn't have breasfeeding either though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

You guys made me rethink it all, again (i went through this so many times now, ugh). I will try to figure out how much time I actually do stand up. I tend to sit ALOT, sometimes almost the whole day. Then 1800-2000 calories should be fine, even according to the calculator.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I tend to stick to between 1500 a day with four workouts a week. Normally my workouts are a combination of strength and cardio together. I sit all day at work at a computer and I commute to and from so when I'm not working out or cooking/cleaning the house I'm pretty much on my asparagus.

My BMR is 1826 and my TEE is 3187. If I ate more than 1800 calories daily and didn't workout hard every single day I would surely gain weight.

I don't know, I'm just trying to do what makes me feel good at this point. If I have the energy to workout than I do it, if not I don't. And I don't beat myself up about anything. It's going to be a long process to get to my goal weight. I have 150 pounds to lose and it's not going to happen overnight. So I'm just focusing on feeling great and keeping myself motivated. The intuitive eating thing comes pretty natural to me but I am tracking my food cause I want to make sure I'm holding myself accountable and getting enough of the right nutrients. But I still have days that I don't track and I don't think twice about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:27 am 
Semen Strong

Thanks for that calculator aelle! I think its because I am older (41) and short (4'11) but even this one gives me a basal metabolic rate of 1344 though the energy expenditure number is higher - 2200.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:57 am 

Gracia, that sounds very reasonable and well adjusted - good for you!! :)

Tofulish, us short girls get shafted. Anyway my BMR with that calculator shows 1419 and 2384.

I changed my calories on MFP to show 1400 so I'm going to go for that and see how it goes. I got all confused about picking 1400 or 1500 yesterday and then i forgot to log my TJ's banana chips (the devil's snack) and ended up at 1604. Also my weight went from 149.2 to 149.8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:33 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I am at the highest weight I've ever been and it's weirding me out. Even though I guess I'm still "slim" I'm a uk 12/us 8 and I'm used to being two sizes smaller. I had stomach and anxiety problems through most of my teen years so was always tall and very skinny - you ever see pictures of those "sick" catwalk models? well, that's what I looked like. Anyway meds and therapy and I guess time have mostly driven all that away (and, I've grown a love of food which leads me to say "whatever" and eat tasty stuff even if my stomach will kill later) and I've gained to what is a "healthy" weight, BMI of about 19.5. And I'm 20 years old and I guess my body is doing its woman thing and growing hips and "shape".

So yeah, I know it's doing a healthy thing. Hips are good yes? But now I'm finding a lot of my clothes just don't fit. And it's wrecking my self image. I find myself berating myself in the mirror because I don't look how I did when I was fifteen. Which is stupid. But I can't just go out and buy new clothes because...you can't just do that! I guess there's no point to this post except a little rant.

Also, it kinda sucks trying to eat healthy/calorie light when your husband has the metabolism of a teenager and does high intensity karate several times a week :p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:03 am 

vixki it sounds like you're doing well - good job! hips are good :)

men and their male metabolisms! definitely annoying. my husband eats a lot but he also runs a lot, so i can't be too mad at him at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:58 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I haven't been logging things at all. Life walloping me with shiitake has pretty much made cooking or thinking about cooking or putting any effort in to food preparation a non-possibility. Lots more eating out than usual. Giving in to terrible cravings like poutine. Drinking a lot more. Not working out in the least (though a good amount of heavy lifting and standing all day at work).

But I don't feel like I'm gaining weight. I'm probably maintaining at my 10 lb loss point of 121. Which isn't terrible. I want to be down just a tiny bit more but right now I can't contemplate much more than moving dad in, getting his home care worked out, and maybe sleeping. Sleeping would be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:42 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I am currently 23 lbs over my goal weight. I'm very annoyed with myself because I'd managed to maintain that goal for nearly eight years, but somehow in the last year I've let it creep slowly back up. I've been in denial about this but finally admitted I don't feel happy at this weight and it's time to do something about it (and I definitely don't want to go back to the weight I once was).

At the moment I am just being mindful about what I eat, trying only to eat when I am hungry (and not just because I am bored/angry/fed up), and trying to eat lots of fruit and veg. Last week I lost 3 lbs, but I'll be happy with a pound or so a week. I might try more formal tracking/calorie counting if I get stuck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:20 pm 

moon - if you're maintaining given how life is going, i'd say that's pretty impressive! i can't even maintain.

jogirl - i totally get it! i was 10 lbs from goal and I gained 14 pounds. i hope things keep going well for you!

i've been good so far today!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:58 pm 
Grandfathered In

Using that calculator, my BMR is 1,831, and my TEE is in the neighborhood of 2,800.

I think I've lost around 15 pounds in the last 5 months or so. I don't really trust the scale at the gym, though, so I'm not positive.

(But using those numbers, shouldn't I have lost a lot more? If I'm expending about 1,000 calories more than I "need" to take in every day, that's, like, .28 pounds a day, or 2 pounds a week. It all sounds so straightforward.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vixki wrote:
I am at the highest weight I've ever been and it's weirding me out. Even though I guess I'm still "slim" I'm a uk 12/us 8 and I'm used to being two sizes smaller. I had stomach and anxiety problems through most of my teen years so was always tall and very skinny - you ever see pictures of those "sick" catwalk models? well, that's what I looked like. Anyway meds and therapy and I guess time have mostly driven all that away (and, I've grown a love of food which leads me to say "whatever" and eat tasty stuff even if my stomach will kill later) and I've gained to what is a "healthy" weight, BMI of about 19.5. And I'm 20 years old and I guess my body is doing its woman thing and growing hips and "shape".

So yeah, I know it's doing a healthy thing. Hips are good yes? But now I'm finding a lot of my clothes just don't fit. And it's wrecking my self image. I find myself berating myself in the mirror because I don't look how I did when I was fifteen. Which is stupid. But I can't just go out and buy new clothes because...you can't just do that! I guess there's no point to this post except a little rant.

Also, it kinda sucks trying to eat healthy/calorie light when your husband has the metabolism of a teenager and does high intensity karate several times a week :p

I'm also at my highest weight ever and a UK size 12 - i've gained around 30 lbs in the past 3 years. I'd say that getting yourself some new clothes that actually fit and flatter your figure, instead of trying to fit into things you can't, or that don't seem as flattering, is one of the best investments you can make! It does A LOT in regards to self image and self esteem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:39 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

FootFace wrote:
Using that calculator, my BMR is 1,831, and my TEE is in the neighborhood of 2,800.

I think I've lost around 15 pounds in the last 5 months or so. I don't really trust the scale at the gym, though, so I'm not positive.

(But using those numbers, shouldn't I have lost a lot more? If I'm expending about 1,000 calories more than I "need" to take in every day, that's, like, .28 pounds a day, or 2 pounds a week. It all sounds so straightforward.)

Well, if you're eating 1800, that's the bare minimum men can eat. You're supposed to go 500 below your TDEE max, and def not 1,000, which would screw up your metabolism, according to what I've read.

Last edited by bastah on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:42 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

FootFace wrote:

Your TDEE is what you need to eat to fuel your current weight at its current activity level. Your BMR is the number of calories you would need if you lay in bed 24 hours a day at your current weight. If you reduce too far your body slows down its metabolism.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 145  Next