| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 145  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:02 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7071
Location: Fort Drum NY
I am just so confused by this stuff and I don't know why. I want to lose weight as fast as possible without starving myself. alas. I'm off to get ready for a late day workout.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:08 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3473
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
Im with you app, the whole tee thing is just mind boggling to me.

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:20 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7071
Location: Fort Drum NY
it is! it probably doesn't help that for a year and a half, i was doing yoga 3 days a week, weights 3 days a week and cardio 2 days a week, while watching what i was eating. i've been calorie counting for so long and i don't mind it if it gets me somewhere, but it doesn't! the crux of my problem is that i'm fairly sedentary, even when sticking to my workout plan, but food is so easy to mess up a little and gain weight with, but doing food right doesn't have me lose weight.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:02 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 1393
Location: Las Vegas, NV
This stuff IS totally confusing, but I am coming around to the mindsight that less is not necessarily more. The fact that I was around 1700 or so and working out easily 12 to 16 hours a week (cardio, weights, cardio, yoga, cardio, walking) and not losing a thing thing tells me something. And now that I am increasing my calories I realize how underfueled I was and how a whole host of minor things I felt/still feel is because I jacked up my metabolism. Just be careful and pay attention to how you feel....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:28 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 1420
Location: Berlin
According to this calculator I shouldn't ever have gained weight in the first place eating below my "supposed" TDEE.

_________________
http://www.veganinberlin.com
"Money ain't got no owners, only spenders." - Omar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:04 am 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 7:46 am
Posts: 794
Location: with my dog....on a trail
It is waaaay too easy to out-eat your activity. A long time ago I remember reading that waitresses/waiters walk six miles on an average shift. But I've seen plenty of servers that aren't bean poles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:15 am 
Offline
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 2466
tofucheez wrote:
It is waaaay too easy to out-eat your activity. A long time ago I remember reading that waitresses/waiters walk six miles on an average shift. But I've seen plenty of servers that aren't bean poles.

Yes! When I first saw my TDEE, I was like "huh? Then why am I gaining weight?" Then I started calorie counting. "OH! Wait, this recipe has 1000 calories per serving?! I thought it was around 500." BINGO.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:34 am 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7071
Location: Fort Drum NY
emmalv wrote:
This stuff IS totally confusing, but I am coming around to the mindsight that less is not necessarily more. The fact that I was around 1700 or so and working out easily 12 to 16 hours a week (cardio, weights, cardio, yoga, cardio, walking) and not losing a thing thing tells me something. And now that I am increasing my calories I realize how underfueled I was and how a whole host of minor things I felt/still feel is because I jacked up my metabolism. Just be careful and pay attention to how you feel....


Oh yeah! On a good week I work out maybe 4 1/2 hours. How did you feel that you didn't realize was a clue?

VeganinBerlin wrote:
According to this calculator I shouldn't ever have gained weight in the first place eating below my "supposed" TDEE.


yes! this is my confusion.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 am 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19050
Location: Cliffbar NJ
One thing that I know is that when I was stressed, I was working out and restricting calories and still gained 30lbs. So yeah, there is that. Seriously, I did the Master Cleanse 2x and didn't lose more than 5lbs of water weight which I gained back within a week.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3561
Location: It's hot. All the time.
This thread started in 2011. If extreme calorie restriction worked, wouldn't some of the people in it have been able to succeed and drop out of it?

I really hate it when I read self-deprecating and self-shaming because someone "ate the wrong foods" or "ate too much." You cannot starve yourself and expect to achieve good health while avoiding disordered eating. Eating 1200-1500 calories a day is insane for an adult who gets out of bed.

_________________
A whole lot of access and privilege goes into being sanctimonious pricks J-Dub
Dessert is currently a big bowl of sanctimonious, passive aggressive vegan enduced boak. Fezza
You people are way less funny than Pandacookie. Sucks to be you.-interrobang?!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm
Posts: 1420
Location: Berlin
I don't think it's necessarily "insane" to eat the way my nutritionist told me to eat.

_________________
http://www.veganinberlin.com
"Money ain't got no owners, only spenders." - Omar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:11 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3473
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
Vantine, honestly I think the reason why none of us have hit our goal and dropped out of this thread is because none of us are perfect and life gets in the way more than we would like to admit. Throw in depression, food addiction, lifelong habits, and everything else and it's really hard to focus on accomplishing something.

I think we need to agree to realize that not one process of a supposed way of eating or way to lose weight is going to work for every single person. You may feel strongly that this method is the "right" one but I can't commit and buy into something that I don't understand.

The biggest part factor in my weight loss journey is my mind. I have to be totally 100% excited and and mentally prepared to lose any weight at all. Regardless of what I'm doing for exercise or food, if my mind is not in the right place it won't work. When I originally lost 70 pounds I went from eating a S.A.D. diet to a Vegan diet and added exercise into my life for the first time ever. And let me tell you that those pounds came off so easy it was like I didn't even have to think about it. I've never yo-yo dieted, I haven't tried every fad diet that exist, and I don't really start and stop. I took a way too long 3.5 half years off of exercising because of medical reasons and depression and in the process I gained back 30 pounds. It took me a long time to get my head back in the right place and now that I'm finally there I'm not going to let the worry factor of am I doing it "right" get me down. Overall for me, yes I want to lose weight, but I am planning for my future. I'm 31 and obese, my father died at 38 and he was almost 400 pounds. Everyone on my father's side is dead of some type of heart related issue. I will not be the next one!

Sorry, for the rant everyone. I'm hoping this thread can stay positive and we can all be here for each other to motivate and help our success along the way rather than point out what we are supposedly doing wrong and what we need to change. The process is individual to each person and their journey. Let's focus on that instead.

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:11 am 
Offline
Ninja Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:00 pm
Posts: 4584
Location: Surrey, UK
Vantine wrote:
Eating 1200-1500 calories a day is insane for an adult who gets out of bed.

Not necessarily. Working out my mum's TDEE, it's only just over 1500! So to lose weight she'd have to eat less than that.

_________________
I sure do love pumpkins, Cotton.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:47 am 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19050
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Hey Gracia, thanks for sharing your motivation! I would like this thread to be a place where people could discuss weight loss without feeling attacked or being called "insane."

I have lost and gained weight, and am now at 128 lbs, but I'm going to be gaining a bit of weight in the near future and then am going to want help in losing it again. I think that is how life works for some of us, which is why this thread keeps on going. I don't think the purpose of any thread is to fix our lives, otherwise the relationship thread would arguably also have to become obsolete at some point. Its just a place to discuss our feelings and challenges and get support from others.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:33 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1486
Location: Hamburg, Germany
GraciaKai wrote:
Vantine, honestly I think the reason why none of us have hit our goal and dropped out of this thread is because none of us are perfect and life gets in the way more than we would like to admit.


That's the thing, though. From my personal experience, I fail at hard calorie restricing not because life gets in the way, but precisely because I am restricting too hard.

When I eat to hunger, I don't have obsessive thoughts about food, I don't overeat, I don't hate my body and myself, and I don't end up putting on weight. Losing weight in a sustainable manner for me means walking a very fine line of eating to hunger while maitaining a 200 or so calorie deficit, and no more. And it's hard because there are so many loud cultural imperatives around us telling women to diet hard, to restrict their food intake to close to nothing, to excercise compulsively, etc. Latest event in which I challenged my feminism: finding myself over-restricting my food intake and having negative thoughts about my body since I got engaged. WFT, that's not me!

I hope no one feels like I'm attacking them personally here or that I am trying to undermine their efforts. It's just that the standard wisdom about calorie restriction does not work for me, not for my physical health and not for my mental health, and maybe others might find that perspective useful.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:49 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3473
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
I don't think I've ever experienced calorie restriction the way you are making it sound. I am full and satisfied most days on 1500 calories and if there is a day when I'm starving then I just eat more and I'm fine with that. I'm not going to go to bed hungry or be miserable all day long because some stupid program or website tells me I can't eat anything else for the day otherwise I won't lose weight. Screw that mess! I do what I can and what my body needs. I also don't log my food until I'm done eating it. So whatever I ate is what it is. I don't try to adjust depending on how many supposed calories I have left. The difference between eating a snack at night and going over my 1500 allowance by 300 or so is ok with me. What isn't ok to me is binge eating an extra 1000 or so out of boredom or compulsion. That is the behavior I am working on changing.

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:00 am 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 1736
Location: MA
"Calorie restriction" is just cutting back on calories in any way or amount, right? Or is it used more to mean cutting back too much or to an unhealthy level? For me, the only way I can ever lose weight is if I eat fewer calories- sometimes I track and sometimes I don't, but I'm eating less / "restricting" either way.

Like Gracia, even if I'm counting I refuse to be hungry and miserable about it. This last time I did MFP I ate more than I previously had, and was happier while still losing weight. I'm also working on the overeating habits that are actually damaging to me- so if I say "oh crepe I ate too much" it isn't because I ate until I felt satisfied but went over some numerical limit, it was because I ate out of boredom or ate until I was way too full. Neither of those things are good for my mental health.

But we all have our own quirks and processes! I am still working mine out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:19 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm
Posts: 3473
Location: NJ/Philadelphia
Amy wrote:
I'm also working on the overeating habits that are actually damaging to me- so if I say "oh crepe I ate too much" it isn't because I ate until I felt satisfied but went over some numerical limit, it was because I ate out of boredom or ate until I was way too full. Neither of those things are good for my mental health.

YES! This times a million. I used to eat until I was so full that I couldn't breathe. And then I would just be miserable and mad at myself and feel terrible until I slept off the food coma. Not good.

Amy, you bring up a good point. A lot or all of us just talk about weight loss and our goals via numbers. But there are a few of us that have much bigger issues than that when it comes to food. Getting to a point of accepting the truth behind all of it and working on it is so much more than just losing weight.

_________________
"Gnome kicking says a lot a man's character." - Babbette


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:33 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 1393
Location: Las Vegas, NV
aelle wrote:
GraciaKai wrote:
Vantine, honestly I think the reason why none of us have hit our goal and dropped out of this thread is because none of us are perfect and life gets in the way more than we would like to admit.


That's the thing, though. From my personal experience, I fail at hard calorie restricing not because life gets in the way, but precisely because I am restricting too hard.

When I eat to hunger, I don't have obsessive thoughts about food, I don't overeat, I don't hate my body and myself, and I don't end up putting on weight. Losing weight in a sustainable manner for me means walking a very fine line of eating to hunger while maitaining a 200 or so calorie deficit, and no more. And it's hard because there are so many loud cultural imperatives around us telling women to diet hard, to restrict their food intake to close to nothing, to excercise compulsively, etc. Latest event in which I challenged my feminism: finding myself over-restricting my food intake and having negative thoughts about my body since I got engaged. WFT, that's not me!

I hope no one feels like I'm attacking them personally here or that I am trying to undermine their efforts. It's just that the standard wisdom about calorie restriction does not work for me, not for my physical health and not for my mental health, and maybe others might find that perspective useful.



Yes to this. I just would like to echo that I certainly hope no one took my post as an attack either. I just have been figuring out eating more might be right for me, restricting as I was was dangerous and had the added insult of being ineffective. Most importantly I just wanted anyone reading to be mindful of how they felt when restricting. I felt all of the things Aelle speak about above (obsessive, poor body image, etc) and other physical symptoms, and I just took that as normal. I am realizing its not. Just be careful and maybe give your body a little credit for knowing what it needs, that's all. I hope that explains a little bit more where I (and maybe a couple of others) am coming from.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:34 am 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19050
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Yes, the thing that I really liked about doing SparkPeople (and MFP is the same) is just realizing how many calories are in the food we eat. I never realized that my breakfasts were 700 calories and not very protein heavy. So now I can make better choices - I am not making myself wrong or using shaming or blaming language about it, just getting educated.

And as with others here, I have health problems that are related to the weight. I have PCOS and am pre-diabetic, which means its hard for me to conceive and I will likely become diabetic in the near future if I can't change my eating habits. Also, my cholesterol and triglycerides are very high - despite the fact that I don't eat any animal products. Apparently high triglyceride levels are related to eating a lot of processed carbs, so again, I am trying to eat smarter so that I don't end up with heart disease.

I want to clarify that there is a big difference between sharing your personal experiences and what worked for you and calling what other people do "insane," which at least to me has a tone of judgement that sharing personal experience does not have. I have shared here that I was more successful losing at a higher calorie level (thanks j-dub for the information) and I think that works well for me, but I would never presume to know what works for others. I think this is a great support for people and I would hope it could remain positive.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:51 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 1393
Location: Las Vegas, NV
appifanie wrote:
emmalv wrote:
This stuff IS totally confusing, but I am coming around to the mindsight that less is not necessarily more. The fact that I was around 1700 or so and working out easily 12 to 16 hours a week (cardio, weights, cardio, yoga, cardio, walking) and not losing a thing thing tells me something. And now that I am increasing my calories I realize how underfueled I was and how a whole host of minor things I felt/still feel is because I jacked up my metabolism. Just be careful and pay attention to how you feel....


Oh yeah! On a good week I work out maybe 4 1/2 hours. How did you feel that you didn't realize was a clue?

VeganinBerlin wrote:
According to this calculator I shouldn't ever have gained weight in the first place eating below my "supposed" TDEE.


yes! this is my confusion.



Hi appifanie, If I am reading your question right you are wanting to know what clued me off that something wasn't right? If that's the case, here goes with a few things that come to mind. If not, please clarify and I'm happy to share whatever I can.
Calculators consistently telling me I need about 2700 kcal (I'm 5' 9'' and 155-160ish, I think. I put away the scale. I got down to 148.5 with supreme and short lived effort and I know I weigh a bit more now). I chose to ignore those because I am, of course, the one exception in the whole wide world. :)
No sex drive.
Dry hair, splitting nails.
Insomnia - wake up between 3 and 4 like clockwork, and it is not as if I go to bed early and I have always been an 8 hour a night girl.
Not losing weight, in fact extremely prone to gain weight. And one meal that wasn't the perfect picture of health, something like pizza, would totally bloat me the next day.
Hunger never really stopped. I never felt satisfied.
Extremely critical of myself and kinda obsessive about trying to lose the last 5.
Cranky, brain fog. Prone to bouts of sadness.
Wasn't improving in workouts.

All in all, felt like shiitake.

So I'll continue to bloviate, since I've come this far... Now I'm slowly increasing my calories closer to my TDEE. At first, going from 1700 to 2100 I was totally bloated but that went away in a week or so. Now I'm hovering around 2300 - 2400 a day and I have no bloating issues anymore and I am ravenous. So I eat to hunger (and end up at about the 2300-2400). Much of the physical symptoms above have improved, my workouts are getting better, etc. I'd still like to gain a little muscle and lose a little fat, but I just want to get healthy first. The odd thing is, I know I have gained a little weight, but for some reason, I don't care? First, I thought it'd be a ton more and I'd look saggy. However, I look proportioned but just a little fuller in the booty and thighs. I also look firmer. Maybe that will come off as I continue to strength train. Maybe its water. Maybe it'll stay. I don't know. But the biggest surprise is that I really think I am ok with it. I truly believe that a lack of nourishment screws with your mind.

I totally didn't want to hijack the thread - this probably is best suited in the Healthy thread maybe - but since more calories, metabolism, not starving have been topics in the last couple of pages, I thought it might be appropriate to share this experience thus far? Plus, I think its good for me to get it out, so thanks guys.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:14 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 1393
Location: Las Vegas, NV
oh, and another big symptom: my temperature. Fingers are always cold and I get mad hot flashes at times. Like full on break into a sweat - not quite sure what this is about, if anything (I'm not pre-menopausal).
But my temperature is for sure low, and I have read from numerous sources that a low body temp is a sign of a slow metabolism. One source, and I can't remember which medical journal it was, said wildly fluctuating temps (cold to sweats when not ill) can be a sign of adrenal stress/fatigue? In any case, while I am increasing my calories I am going to check my temp periodically and see if it starts to increase.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:27 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 1393
Location: Las Vegas, NV
oh, and another big symptom: my temperature. Fingers are always cold and I get mad hot flashes at times. Like full on break into a sweat - not quite sure what this is about, if anything (I'm not pre-menopausal).
But my temperature is for sure low, and I have read from numerous sources that a low body temp is a sign of a slow metabolism. One source, and I can't remember which medical journal it was, said wildly fluctuating temps (cold to sweats when not ill) can be a sign of adrenal stress/fatigue? In any case, while I am increasing my calories I am going to check my temp periodically and see if it starts to increase.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:27 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 1393
Location: Las Vegas, NV
oh, and another big symptom: my temperature. Fingers are always cold and I get mad hot flashes at times. Like full on break into a sweat - not quite sure what this is about, if anything (I'm not pre-menopausal).
But my temperature is for sure low, and I have read from numerous sources that a low body temp is a sign of a slow metabolism. One source, and I can't remember which medical journal it was, said wildly fluctuating temps (cold to sweats when not ill) can be a sign of adrenal stress/fatigue? In any case, while I am increasing my calories I am going to check my temp periodically and see if it starts to increase.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7071
Location: Fort Drum NY
emma, yes, thank you! I didn't word things too clearly!

emmalv wrote:
Hi appifanie, If I am reading your question right you are wanting to know what clued me off that something wasn't right? If that's the case, here goes with a few things that come to mind. If not, please clarify and I'm happy to share whatever I can.
Calculators consistently telling me I need about 2700 kcal (I'm 5' 9'' and 155-160ish, I think. I put away the scale. I got down to 148.5 with supreme and short lived effort and I know I weigh a bit more now). I chose to ignore those because I am, of course, the one exception in the whole wide world. :)
No sex drive.
Dry hair, splitting nails.
Insomnia - wake up between 3 and 4 like clockwork, and it is not as if I go to bed early and I have always been an 8 hour a night girl.
Not losing weight, in fact extremely prone to gain weight. And one meal that wasn't the perfect picture of health, something like pizza, would totally bloat me the next day.
Hunger never really stopped. I never felt satisfied.
Extremely critical of myself and kinda obsessive about trying to lose the last 5.
Cranky, brain fog. Prone to bouts of sadness.
Wasn't improving in workouts.

All in all, felt like shiitake.

So I'll continue to bloviate, since I've come this far... Now I'm slowly increasing my calories closer to my TDEE. At first, going from 1700 to 2100 I was totally bloated but that went away in a week or so. Now I'm hovering around 2300 - 2400 a day and I have no bloating issues anymore and I am ravenous. So I eat to hunger (and end up at about the 2300-2400). Much of the physical symptoms above have improved, my workouts are getting better, etc. I'd still like to gain a little muscle and lose a little fat, but I just want to get healthy first. The odd thing is, I know I have gained a little weight, but for some reason, I don't care? First, I thought it'd be a ton more and I'd look saggy. However, I look proportioned but just a little fuller in the booty and thighs. I also look firmer. Maybe that will come off as I continue to strength train. Maybe its water. Maybe it'll stay. I don't know. But the biggest surprise is that I really think I am ok with it. I truly believe that a lack of nourishment screws with your mind.

I totally didn't want to hijack the thread - this probably is best suited in the Healthy thread maybe - but since more calories, metabolism, not starving have been topics in the last couple of pages, I thought it might be appropriate to share this experience thus far? Plus, I think its good for me to get it out, so thanks guys.


those are definitely symptoms I can identify with! I think this is a very helpful post - thank you so much for sharing!!

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 145  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TrailMix and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer