| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:46 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

emmalv wrote:
oh, and another big symptom: my temperature. Fingers are always cold and I get mad hot flashes at times. Like full on break into a sweat - not quite sure what this is about, if anything (I'm not pre-menopausal).
But my temperature is for sure low, and I have read from numerous sources that a low body temp is a sign of a slow metabolism. One source, and I can't remember which medical journal it was, said wildly fluctuating temps (cold to sweats when not ill) can be a sign of adrenal stress/fatigue? In any case, while I am increasing my calories I am going to check my temp periodically and see if it starts to increase.

me too for that one! err, all of those.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:12 pm 

GraciaKai wrote:
Vantine, honestly I think the reason why none of us have hit our goal and dropped out of this thread is because none of us are perfect and life gets in the way more than we would like to admit. Throw in depression, food addiction, lifelong habits, and everything else and it's really hard to focus on accomplishing something.

I think we need to agree to realize that not one process of a supposed way of eating or way to lose weight is going to work for every single person. You may feel strongly that this method is the "right" one but I can't commit and buy into something that I don't understand.

Nicely put!

Tofulish wrote:
Hey Gracia, thanks for sharing your motivation! I would like this thread to be a place where people could discuss weight loss without feeling attacked or being called "insane."

+1 yummy

I'm not restricting in some crazy manner - I have read over and over that for my height and activity level, I should be eating 1200 calories a day. I don't go under this number and I'm usually above it by a little. I was overweight from ages 8-15 and when I lost weight then, I just started moving around more and quit soda (and went "semi-vegetarian). My weight fluctuated up and down a little over the years. At 19 I got pregnant and had a stillbirth at 6 months and so I had a little baby weight after that that stayed on. By 28 I was heavier than I wanted, but not a lot - maybe 10 pounds (but again, 5' tall so not a lot of room to disperse that weight) over. Also, I went vegan around this time.

At 29 I got pregnant. I was 123 pounds (more than I wanted to be, but livable) and I gained 53 pounds up to 176 pounds. I was about 169 after Livi was born. A year after that I had a large fibroid removed. I was in my 150s when I moved to Maine and I did a 90 minute yoga class 2-3 days a week, cardio 3 days a week, and weights 2 days a week. I watched what I ate - just logging, not calorie tracking. I tried raw veganism off and on. I have been tracking calories and trying different weight loss programs since 2009, 2010 and I got stuck around 149. When my hubs came home from deployment in June 2011, I was 133lbs and 10 pounds from my pre-preg weight. He came home, I started eating some gluten (I'd quit gluten while he was gone because it seemed to help some intestinal issues I had) and here I am at 149 again. Most charts say I should weigh 95-115 pounds.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good share appifanie! Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Appifanie, I totally guessed your age at 34 and assumed that you do nothing but sleep for 7 hrs and sit the rest of the time (which I know isn't right), and this calculator says your TDEE is is 1900 and your BMR (kcal needed just to stay alive) is 1400. So if you have symptoms similar to mine, you very well might be undereating a little. You might feel better bumping your kcal a little bit and your metabolism might be encouraged by more getting energy so that it will allow you to drop some fat once things stablize? For me, I just figured, hell, nothing else is working and I feel like crepe - surely this isn't normal or right - so something that isn't an overnight fix and is very moderate is pbly the most reasonable solution. That's my thought process at this point...

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy- ... e-advanced

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

And just to be clear, because I am sensitive to this, I'm not trying to convince Appifanie or anyone to do anything at all if they don't want to... I just hate that people (myself here too) are struggling, not feeling well, might be doing harm, and to add insult to injury are not even achieving the goal. My intention is just to point out some information that might be helpful to someone else, in case their is a better way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I need this vacation to be over! I am loving relaxing and seeing my family and friends, but I am in the loop of "let's meet for lunch" or "let's get drinks." I don't dine out often in the Netherlands because it is so expensive and the options are limited, but here at home in the states in the vegan heaven that is my hometown, I am eating so so much more than I usually would. Plus I can feel myself craving the salt and fat of restaurant food. I have five more days here and then a full day of travel on Wednesday and part of Thursday. My boyfriend went back early and has "gotten back on track" with regular exercise and home cooking. I'm hoping he can help me do the same when I get there, because I just don't think I can manage to rein myself in for these last few days. The last few days of my trips home are often stressful and upsetting, because I don't want to say goodbye to my mom...and cue the stress eating.

I have been tracking the WW points even though I've been eating a lot of things I might not otherwise be eating, which has helped me understand a LOT about certain foods I eat and their nutritional content. fork you, tortillas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:03 pm 

GraciaKai wrote:
Good share appifanie! Thank you.

thank you and back at you!

emmalv wrote:
Appifanie, I totally guessed your age at 34 and assumed that you do nothing but sleep for 7 hrs and sit the rest of the time (which I know isn't right), and this calculator says your TDEE is is 1900 and your BMR (kcal needed just to stay alive) is 1400. So if you have symptoms similar to mine, you very well might be undereating a little. You might feel better bumping your kcal a little bit and your metabolism might be encouraged by more getting energy so that it will allow you to drop some fat once things stablize? For me, I just figured, hell, nothing else is working and I feel like crepe - surely this isn't normal or right - so something that isn't an overnight fix and is very moderate is pbly the most reasonable solution. That's my thought process at this point...

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy- ... e-advanced

36 and 8-9 hours. Mmm, sleep. I changed my MFP account yesterday to say that I need 1400 calories a day (instead of the 1200 it put me at). I've been eating over the 1200 for awhile now anyway, so what the heck.

emmalv wrote:
And just to be clear, because I am sensitive to this, I'm not trying to convince Appifanie or anyone to do anything at all if they don't want to... I just hate that people (myself here too) are struggling, not feeling well, might be doing harm, and to add insult to injury are not even achieving the goal. My intention is just to point out some information that might be helpful to someone else, in case their is a better way.

I appreciate you!! <3

pickled - ha! my fork you is for those TJs banana chips. Wishing you safe travels and getting away w/o feeling too badly!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Today I was surprised that quinoa has so many calories! Over 200 in one cup! It's just so airy and seems like it should have like at least half of that. I added it to my dinner today as an afterthought. Good thing I had enough calories still left over for today!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:00 pm 

*cooked quinoa, not dry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:08 pm 

mmm quinoa. i keep not buying it because it's so expensive and i love it so much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

200 calories for a cup of quinoa seems like a good deal to me, calorie-to-nutritional-benefit wise.

I haven't bought any for a while as I'm on a very tight budget and I still have a few bags of amaranth to use up. Which is also nutritionally valuable but unfortunately really boring tasting!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

pickledtreats wrote:
I need this vacation to be over! I am loving relaxing and seeing my family and friends, but I am in the loop of "let's meet for lunch" or "let's get drinks." I don't dine out often in the Netherlands because it is so expensive and the options are limited, but here at home in the states in the vegan heaven that is my hometown, I am eating so so much more than I usually would. Plus I can feel myself craving the salt and fat of restaurant food. I have five more days here and then a full day of travel on Wednesday and part of Thursday. My boyfriend went back early and has "gotten back on track" with regular exercise and home cooking. I'm hoping he can help me do the same when I get there, because I just don't think I can manage to rein myself in for these last few days. The last few days of my trips home are often stressful and upsetting, because I don't want to say goodbye to my mom...and cue the stress eating.

I have been tracking the WW points even though I've been eating a lot of things I might not otherwise be eating, which has helped me understand a LOT about certain foods I eat and their nutritional content. fork you, tortillas.

This is late advice and I have a hard time following this myself. But when eating out always start with a salad and ask for a to go container when you place your order so you can put half away for later. Restaurant servings are normally way too big unless its a fancy asparagus place where everything is small and twice the size!

You'll be fine once you get home. Vacations are for relaxing in all areas of your life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:05 pm 
Naked Under Apron

emmalv wrote:

This seems right on for me. If I subtract the calories I was eating the last time I did MFP (net cals, after subtracting calories burned form exercise) from the total energy expenditure it's giving me, it works out to a caloric deficit that would translate to 1 1/2 lb loss per week. (Was that the most confusingly worded sentence ever? I think maybe). Anyway that's just what I was losing! So I feel good about what I was doing. I've spent so long thinking I had to stick to 1200, because that was what I had always been told. Feeling comfortable at 300 higher (more if I worked out more) is pretty nice. And I'm not hungry and grumpy that way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:26 pm 

I thought up this great idea about making an excel spreadsheet and then some kind of graph that shows my weight and my calorie intake together, but it turns out I have forgotten some important excel skills . . .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:28 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:
I thought up this great idea about making an excel spreadsheet and then some kind of graph that shows my weight and my calorie intake together, but it turns out I have forgotten some important excel skills . . .

I should be able to help you with that if you just want basic calculations. PM your email and what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:41 am 

Ooh thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:24 am 

3 plums. bad snack idea. urrrgh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

3 plums. mmmmmmmm, good snack idea!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

3 plums good, 4 plums better

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 pm 

way too many cals today! but now i know for sure the next time i make that banana muffin recipe, I reduce the heck out of the sugar. walked way more than usual though!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:35 pm 

It's actually good though! It will give your metabolism a boost since it will have to work harder than usual and tomorrow is another day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:10 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Tennis the last couple days and now I actually cannot walk without immense pain, I suck at this exercise thing! But I have decided that I like food too much to worry tons about that...if I can get into exercise then I can win more calories :p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:45 am 

bastah wrote:
It's actually good though! It will give your metabolism a boost since it will have to work harder than usual and tomorrow is another day.

2.2 pounds up! my plan is to do the cardio workout i didn't do yesterday and a weight workout today.

vixki wrote:
Tennis the last couple days and now I actually cannot walk without immense pain, I suck at this exercise thing! But I have decided that I like food too much to worry tons about that...if I can get into exercise then I can win more calories :p

when my parts hurt i know it means they're getting cuter :D and that's actually why i did p90x before - so I could eat more :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I did a new strength dvd this past week. And zomg talk about pain! It hurt when I laughed, stretched, walked, everything hurt!

Kind of ate like crepe yesterday. Stupid bad food. It whispered my name and I got sucked into its spell!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:05 am 

GraciaKai wrote:
I did a new strength dvd this past week. And zomg talk about pain! It hurt when I laughed, stretched, walked, everything hurt!

Kind of ate like crepe yesterday. Stupid bad food. It whispered my name and I got sucked into its spell!

cute parts, incoming! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 145  Next