| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I think the "smoothies are bad for you because there is no fiber" sentiment was an argument against juicing versus smoothies? I think smoothies are ok in this regard though. Regardless, they're great and easy! Baps, I've heard of people putting oats in their smoothies for a little bit more bulk. If just fruit and yogurt aren't cutting it for your workouts, maybe you need a little bit more (less sugary) carbs (non-fruit carbs)?

Gracia Kai, thanks for the receipe - those look awesome and the perfect pre-workout snack.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:45 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

appifanie wrote:
Yeah if I workout hungry I spend my whole workout thinking "I'm so hungry, I can't possibly continue without food. Food. Food. Food."

I'm totally good with apple juice + nutribiotic rice vanilla protein.

Workout hunger was the inspiration for a song I penned called "motherforking smoothie time."

Funny you should mention Thrive, GraciaKai--I just got it from the library. I think I might buy it. I don't know. I guess I'll keep reading it before I decide! Some of the things just seem like so much prep, and I honestly don't see myself doing that. Plus I wonder at the cost/availability of some of the ingredients. What have you found?

Last edited by ndpittman on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:48 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I dont have the recipe book that goes with Thrive, I just have the 1st one where he lays out all the info behind his "diet" so to speak. But that one has recipes and meal plans in it as well. I did have a problem with the cost of some of the ingredients. So I didn't make all the much from it. I made a couple of the burgers I think, they were good! I really like the info he provided but a lot of that applies to athletes and I'm no where near athlete status. So you kind of have to take what you can get from it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:01 am 

GraciaKai wrote:
I dont have the recipe book that goes with Thrive, I just have the 1st one where he lays out all the info behind his "diet" so to speak. But that one has recipes and meal plans in it as well. I did have a problem with the cost of some of the ingredients. So I didn't make all the much from it. I made a couple of the burgers I think, they were good! I really like the info he provided but a lot of that applies to athletes and I'm no where near athlete status. So you kind of have to take what you can get from it.

Yeah, I like that there are 'burgers' and 'pizza' because that's very me, but I don't know. I have the original book from the library now and skipped ahead to check out the meal planning and recipes. Maybe by the time I get there in the text I'll be more inspired to try stuff.

Do the recipes taste good?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:27 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The burgers were great. I grilled them, they were really filling and the flavor was good. But they are a bit hard to hold together, so you just have to be careful with them. I think on an individual recipe basis everything is easy to make and well worth it. But if you are doing the meal planning it could be very costly and time intensive to prep everything. I may have made one of the pizzas but I really don't remember at this point. It's been a while since I've picked it up. The one thing I will say is that the recipe are very clean and whole. Lots of dates, almonds, cashews, flax, fruits and veg going on there and mostly raw if I remember correctly. And Dulse!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:12 am 
Ninja Master

emmalv wrote:
I think the "smoothies are bad for you because there is no fiber" sentiment was an argument against juicing versus smoothies? I think smoothies are ok in this regard though. Regardless, they're great and easy! Baps, I've heard of people putting oats in their smoothies for a little bit more bulk. If just fruit and yogurt aren't cutting it for your workouts, maybe you need a little bit more (less sugary) carbs (non-fruit carbs)?

That's a good idea, thanks I'll try that.

This morning I just mixed my protein powder with some cold coffee and water and added more liquid than last time and it was much much better. I didn't feel dizzy during my run and I didn't feel hungry until I was almost at work and I had my porridge when I got here. I think the coffee gave me a good pick me up too because I was singing along with the radio on the way to the gym - normally I'm a miserable forker until I'm fully awake and at 6.30 am, I am not fully awake.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:47 am 
WRETCHED

My smoothies have a ton of fiber! I add frozen spinach to my smoothies because you can't taste it and it bulks it up as well. I also tend to use berries for my smoothies. My smoothie this morning was protein powder (vega sport), spinach, strawberries, almond milk and a little water.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ooooh baps, I might have to try that coffee in a smoothie thing. Maybe some chocolate vega, starbucks instant via, soy milk, and a frozen banana. That sounds damn yummy!

Just did The Biggest Loser Cardio Max dvd, man I forgot how crazy Bob Harper is! That shiitake is bonkers! But it felt good. Expecting to be sore as hell tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:59 am 

I did a smoothie with one of those almond milk coffee beverages (Califia Farms Double Espresso) and it left me pretty zippy!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:02 am 
Ninja Master

Yeah I just bought some espresso powder so I can have that tomorrow. I didn't have time for a cup of coffee before I left so thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone and I'm glad I did!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:25 am 
WRETCHED

Ugh, I used to do espresso powder but coffee causes heart palpitations in me now :( I do add some matcha powder sometimes (which doesn't cause palpitations!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:47 am 
Ninja Master

linanil wrote:
coffee causes heart palpitations in me now

super sad face!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My fallback "I am in a huge rush" breakfast smoothie is almond milk, chocolate vega, a handful of whatever frozen fruit and a whole pile of romaine lettuce. Can't taste the romaine at all, and the chocolate vega takes well to just a bit of fruit flavour, usually cherries or mixed berries.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:52 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

today and yesterday i ate way too much. I find it so hard to not eat super little tomorrow instead. but i know that would be a stupid idea.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:35 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'm going for a workout regularly (30 minutes of cardio plus strength training 5 days/week) and eat a bit healthier and a bit less than I have been. Anyone else doing something similar? I'd like weight loss to be the result, but it might not be. The other thread seems to be more geared toward folks who are a lot more fit or ambitious with their workouts than me. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just feel intimidated talking about my Jessica Smith From the living room workouts there.

Like was mentioned upthread, I kinda call bs on the energy expenditure and weight loss calorie calculators. Well, not really bs, but the conflicting information is confusing, and I think my own personal caloric needs vary greatly from day to day - and to be honest trying to figure it all out is driving me nuts. I have been writing down everything I eat and counting calories.......but I'm really sick of it, and it's become kind of demoralizing.

I know this for myself is true, I like working out, and I don't like to diet. I don't feel good after over eating, but I also don't want to restrict myself to the extreme of feeling hungry on a regular basis. I'm an intuitive eating failure, but i'd like to find a happy medium between structured eating and that...if that makes sense. Can I tag along with you guys? I could use some company in finding and executing a sane way of getting healthier.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Welcome jean, the more the merrier!

I'm with you, I try to do 5, 30-45 minute workouts a week in the morning. That doesn't always happen of course. But that is the goal!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:09 pm 

VeganinBerlin wrote:
today and yesterday i ate way too much. I find it so hard to not eat super little tomorrow instead. but i know that would be a stupid idea.

Yeah, I think you just have to cut your losses. Sometimes I think to myself, OK, maybe I needed that extra nourishment, maybe I didn't, but tomorrow is a new day.

Welcome Jean!! I think that sounds like an awesome plan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:10 pm 
WRETCHED

Welcome jean!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:17 pm 
Inflexitarian

Thanks for the welcome everyone! :)

In keeping with the smoothie talk - I am so done with summer, still hot where I live, that I'm bringing fall through diet. My smoothies this week (I'm actually sick of berries - too summery) have been simply one banana, one cup soymilk bit of vanilla and I sprinkle pumpkin pie spice on top. Today's lunch was a garlic, marjoram, thyme, bay leaves heavy stew. It may not be autumn outside, but the leaves are falling in my belly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:17 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ndpittman wrote:
Yeah, I think you just have to cut your losses. Sometimes I think to myself, OK, maybe I needed that extra nourishment, maybe I didn't, but tomorrow is a new day.

Yes, thanks. What's 2 days in the grand scheme of things anyway...
I just kind of doubt I needed chocolate covered plums. I had blood drawn this morning and afterwards I was so hungry and only bought unhealthy stuff. I should have brought something...
At least I had a healthy whole wheat pasta lunch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:46 pm 
WRETCHED

I've been having 2 smoothies per day recently, 1 for breakfast and one as an afternoon snack.

Oh and I've been working out in my basement and sometimes my husband works out while I'm there as well. I like to watch extreme makeover although I think there are some issues with it. My husband asked me last night if I needed him to change anything like stop eating certain foods. I told him no but then he said people in the program always had their family change. I think though that they are largely eating a lot of high caloric 'trigger' foods for the person and nothing my husband eats is something I can't control myself around. It was sweet of him to ask though :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:47 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

That was very sweet of him! I have this issue at home. My husband has no issues with food or weight and any weight gain he has had over the years was a result of my bad behavior and influence. And I feel bad not letting any bad snacks in the house because its not his fault that I cant say no to chips and cereal. If he wants chips and cereal he can have it. Im sure he would give it up in a heartbeat if I asked. But for now we just play a game where he yells (playfully) at me and tells me to put his food down. We have great banter together and it actually helps to keep me in check.

I am still stuggling with overeating and not tracking or monitoring my intake on the weekends. It is hard and frustrates me to no end. Come Monday morning when I know I ate back what I worked off the prior week it makes me sad. And yet I cant stop.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:03 pm 
Inflexitarian

Yes, my husband had made the same offer, and I thought it was so very thoughtful, but not necessary. I have to live in the real world anyway. He has no issues with weight, he tends to eat light while at work and gorges on weeknights and weekends - when I'm with him. So I admit it's a struggle sometimes to not join him in a good feed. This excess weight I'm carrying has come on in the past year, not from just overeating in his presence, but when I'm on my own as well, also from not walking to work anymore, and abandoning my work outs and grief and stress and and and................so my sweet wonderful husband, eat your chippies and enjoy them it's not your fault I gained weight.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:11 am 
Ninja Master

GraciaKai wrote:
I am still stuggling with overeating and not tracking or monitoring my intake on the weekends. It is hard and frustrates me to no end. Come Monday morning when I know I ate back what I worked off the prior week it makes me sad. And yet I cant stop.

This is what I struggle with too. I get to the weekend and think oh sod it, open the wine, have some crisps, eat a cake and I can't be bothered to go the gym. I need to work on this.

Also, re the eating more thing, I calculated my tdee on a sedentary lifestyle because I sit down all day at work 95% of the time. So I figure I just eat extra to cover what I burn off at the gym, like myfitnesspal tells me to. But after so many years of 1200 calories and exercise points on WW I find it really hard to resist the temptation not to eat the extra calories because I know I'll lose weight faster if I don't. But then that's where I've been going wrong for so many years.

Hopefully in a couple of months I'll see some results and realise it's worked but it's hard to change a mindset after 34 years of weight loss / weight gain cycles!

On a plus, I've got out of bed every day this week and gone to the gym and I did body pump last night and I feel great. I'm hoping that I don't lose interest and stick with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:19 am 
WRETCHED

I'm having a hungry day, I hate hungry days. It is part of PMS though, I think. lots of tea today.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 145  Next