| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:49 am 
Ninja Master

I am having a hungry day too! And I forgot to pack an afternoon snack, tea's not really cutting it. Thank goodness is almost home time, I am dreaming of food!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:24 am 
Nailed to the V

Oh yes, the hungry days! I found in the past, that if it was just one day out of the week , and I just ate extra of the healthier foods it did not slow my weight loss at all. Yesterday, however, I responded by eating 10 oreos, not the best choice. But today I'm back on track.

I've just not been able to stick to any plan of eating, and I've been struggling for months. Several years ago I had gained much more weight than I have now and successfully lost it, and kept the weight off until a couple of years ago. I was up late last night digging through my dusty memory, trying to remember what I ate during that period, what a few regular meals and snacks looked like. Some of it's coming back to me so hopefully I'll be back on track as the cobwebs clear.

I have trouble with weekends getting off track too. Lately I've been picking up different food for the weekend, not overly damaging, but different. During the week, breakfast is usually Weetabix or Oatmeal, on the weekend I'll have smoky tempeh strips and toaster waffles - but this isn't working. Maybe I just need to keep my meals and snacks on weekends the same as weekdays. This is what I remember doing before when I was actually successful.

Another thing I recall doing in the past that worked working out seven days a week - my strength training that is. So one day would be legs and bum, and the next day would be upper body and abs. Then when my muscles demanded I break I would take two or 3 days of working out all together. So cardio would be 3 days per week, strength seven, until after 5 or 6 weeks my body would let me know it was fatigued and I'd not work out at all for 3 days - then I'd be even stronger when I returned.

Sorry, I'm thinking out loud here, trying to put a puzzle back together. Sorry for the ramble, but hoping what I've written may help jar some of your memories of what worked for you in the past.

Oh!- and I always remembered to have two or one, depending on calorie count, of my current favourite cookie at the end of each day- that always kept me from feeling deprived. Snacks during the day used to be fruit or yogurt, but now non-dairy yogurt is non-existent here and I really miss it :(

Thanks everyone. This thread has really helped get my brain going again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:45 am 
Nailed to the V

So I'm giving Sparkpeople's meal and fitness plan an honest go - starting today. Their fitness and nutrition tracker now communicate with one another, so your calories are increased on the days you workout.

I really joined for the flexible meal plan, I'm a terrible eater, always have been, even when thin - way too much refined carbohydrate, too little protein and way too few vegetables. I also have too much of that John Mcdougall/Susan Powter programming and tend to eat too little good fat. The plan is easily veganized, but really gets me eating much more balanced than I have been.

Also they recommend I do 30 minutes cardio, plus strength training on Monday, Wednesday and Friday only - which is good as my workouts were leaving me little energy to do other things, I'd get bummed and then eat crepe. I'm carrying a surplus 50-60 lbs on a very short frame, so probably as I shed pounds I'll be encouraged to workout more frequently - or maybe not. The calories they suggest are 1 550 on the days I don't workout, 1 850 on the days I do. I think those calories would be too low for a younger woman, but being 43 it probably works.

Sorry for another long post, I'll post next week how it's going.

How's everyone else?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:03 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Good luck jean!

I'm doing pretty well, having fruit and veg delivered to me really made a difference as I'm on such a low budget I've been really concentrating on eating it all before it goes off so I don't waste any, with the added benefit that more fruit and veg means less cake and pies. I'll be very sorry when my delivery person stops (she's quitting after this week).

Since I started this round of weight loss I'm down 15 pounds. As of yesterday, I've gone from what the BBC BMI chart thinks is 'overweight' to 'normal', I have another 5 pounds to lose until I reach my challenge goal, then I'm going to aim to lose another 3-5 to be on the safe side.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

That's fantastic dropscone! You must be pleased.

Fruit and Veg delivery is more expensive where I live , I'm glad it's been a money saver for you. Is someone going to replace your delivery person, or will you be without delivery once she leaves?

Luckily I live within a 15 minute walk of a shop with good produce. I'd love shop online and have all my groceries delivered though, but sadly it's not available in my pokey little town. Grocery shopping is my least favourite of all domestic chores - that's an understatement, I forking hate it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Sadly, she is the owner, so no more deliveries from there. Have been looking round for other veg schemes but don't think any others are small enough to be flexible on deliveries (which I need to fit in with my work hours).

I really love grocery shopping, but because I don't drive and have mobility issues I usually rely on friends for lifts. Also I find visits dangerous because I impulse buy interesting looking ingredients I can't really afford and sometimes end up not using them.

I am pleased though, thanks. I know they're just numbers and BMI is a flawed system, but I had to go by something!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I lost 60 pounds over the past couple years, but this past year we moved back home and got settled in, and I've gained about 10 back. I'm "officially" starting today, counting calories and trying to work in more exercise. I weigh 150 now and would like to get back down to 140. It's not totally about the number, but I felt the most confident around there, and my clothes fit better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:37 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

nothing nothing blah. today i ate around 1900 cals and netted around 1400. i've been more active outdoors the last 3 days, but it's going back to hella hot tomorrow, so . . .

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:11 am 
Ninja Master

I've been doing pretty well with the gym and the tracking. Lost it a bit at the weekend with some wine and crisps but really not too bad at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:37 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My sleep is all out of whack, and I think it's throwing everything off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:54 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

After therapy today I was so depressed and hungry and bought organic glutenfree crackers. They're extremely high calorie and taste like cardboard. 400 calories for nothing but at least it stopped me from buying actual crepe that I felt like eating at that moment.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I worked out today for the first time in almost a week and it was miserable! The weekend totally got away from me and then my back went out on me so I stayed home from work on Monday and just laid around. Today it felt good enough to do some exercise. Hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow to move and I can get in another 30 minute circuit training session.

Back to salads for lunch. Really trying to work on this food thing! I did some research on vegan supplements to help with weight loss and appetite and found Bob Harpers product line which I didn't even know existed. So I order the starter kit on amazon, it was cheap and has great reviews. Hoping it helps give me a kick start and keeps me motivated!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I lost twelve pounds and look in the mirror and think I look super skinny even though I am obese. Demented. But damn, I look good. Sooo close to that first number changing. And then I am going to buy myself a Fitbit to celebrate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Ariann wrote:
I lost twelve pounds and look in the mirror and think I look super skinny even though I am obese. Demented. But damn, I look good. Sooo close to that first number changing. And then I am going to buy myself a Fitbit to celebrate.

Yea!! I think that sounds like an awesome plan. And not demented!

Hope everything is feeling ok tomorrow, Graciakai. Take it slow and steady just in case? One of my biggest fears is an injury. Not really for weight loss reasons as much as mental health reasons.

What is the Bob Harper stuff like? One of my favorite things to do is read the comments when he posts on FB about Quaker oats.

I've been trying to do some nutrient timing, too, but pretty simplified to mornings more carbs, then more protein. Also trying to have one green salad and one smoothie a day, and eat pre and post workout per Thrive. The only problem is, I don't like dates? Is it because I've never soaked them? They kind of gross me out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 pm 
***LIES!!!***

You may not be getting fresh ones. If they're all tough and have a white powdery coating, do not bother eating them. You want big whole plump ones with the seed still in. Costco by us usually has good ones. If you have an Arabic market nearby they might have some.

dropscone - yay for your successes!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:17 am 
Ninja Master

Yay congrats Ariann, that's awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:25 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ariann wrote:
But damn, I look good.
And that's down to you making a decision and following it through with action. So, you don't just look good, but you're pretty badass too.

Everyone who makes a change to their body like that is a total badass.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:32 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ndpittman wrote:
Ariann wrote:

Yea!! I think that sounds like an awesome plan. And not demented!

Hope everything is feeling ok tomorrow, Graciakai. Take it slow and steady just in case? One of my biggest fears is an injury. Not really for weight loss reasons as much as mental health reasons.

What is the Bob Harper stuff like? One of my favorite things to do is read the comments when he posts on FB about Quaker oats.

I think the PPK has rules against this stuff so I won't link it. But it's called Bob Harpers Smart Weight Loss. It's coffe extract, pomegranate powder, gogi powder, frauenmantle extract, wild olive extract, cormino extract, and horsemint extract. No speedy racy druggy feeling and no crazy ingredients. I'm not expecting anything except for some help in the energy level area.

Decided against working out again this morning. My lower back is still giving me grief. And I think I narrowed it down to yoga. I did a dvd last week and then my back went out. And last year when I took a real yoga class the same thing happened. Totally bummed about that because I love yoga, but for some reason it irritates my herniated disks and makes my hip joint pain flare up. Sadface!

Might go for a walk on my lunch break.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ariann wrote:

dropscone - yay for your successes!

Thank you, Ariann, and yay for your successes too!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

Fourth day with the Sparkpeople plan, and I have to admit I'm not suffering. I'm eating more vegetables, protein and fat than I would on my own and I think I'm feeling better because of that.

Whenever I miss the comfort or habit of overeating or eating shiitake, I think of my husband who has quit smoking very recently- if he can do this for us, so can I. My poor eating habits and excess weight have been affecting my health, probably as much as smoking affects his. It's been good, we've been supporting one another through the changes, we didn't plan it that way, but it's been working out nicely.

So good to hear of everyone's successes and tenacity- it's very encouraging for me, thanks :)

I bought SP's $3 vegan meal idea thingy last night, I'll have a look at it later today, I'm getting tired of my own vegan substitutions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

sorry, double post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Tell me more about this $3 vegan meal thingy! I use SP daily and as I've been losing weight I haven't been updating my nutrition needs. But I did it today for the first time and guess what...it gave me more calories to eat! I totally thought it was going to give me less and make me starve myself. Not that I would have adhered to it, but that's what I was expecting. So maybe they have changed to more of a WW theory of the more you workout and lose the more calories you get? I'm not sure, but I don't remember it doing that before.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

GraiciaKai, yes I found the same thing with SP before, just too few calories and I was sooo hungry. But now they've integrated their fitness tracker with the nutrition tracker and presto, more calories. I'm also eating at the top end of the range without going over.

Yeah, the vegan thingy, I haven't looked at it yet, been busy with other things and not in the mood to look at cooking stuff- but it's an ebook from Amazon titled Easy Vegan Meals by Sparkpeople, I'm hoping the recipes will be fast and easy to add to the nutrition tracker......

eta ......and follows spark's meal plan.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:11 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Gulliver wrote:
Ariann wrote:
But damn, I look good.
And that's down to you making a decision and following it through with action. So, you don't just look good, but you're pretty badass too.

Everyone who makes a change to their body like that is a total badass.

Aw, it is true, though, everybody rocks. The teacher at yoga class today gave like a 10 minute sermon at the beginning of the class about how resistance gives us power and how we're all pushing through our own kind of resistance to effect a transformation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:10 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My numbers have not moved one pound, but the process of eating low fat to hunger and increasing exercise seems to be paying off for me. It looks like the fat has been melting off my stomach and turning into muscle on my butt and thighs. Two random people commented on my "weight" loss yesterday. I can see the very beginnings of definition on my stomach.

Little silly tip: I have this big year calendar at work that I look at all day. I've been ticking the days when I bike to work in green, and the days when I bring in a healthy lunch in blue. In the past, if I was lazy 3-4 days in a row, I would end up giving up. This time, instead of seeing the couple days I didn't exercise, I see the previous 8 weeks of mostly uninterrupted green and blue ticks. The missed days don't seem like that big of a deal in comparison of all of my previous effort and it's much easier to get back in the saddle. I've felt a bit silly about awarding myself gold stars like a kid, but it's surprisingly helpful.

Reply to topic  [ 3577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127 ... 144  Next