| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

ndpittman wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:
yesterday was fine until I overate at dinner. I think it was mostly an emotional thing because I certainly didn't need 300 extra calories of roasted vegetables. My stomach hurt afterwards.

Why do I always want to eat after dinner when I'm not hungry?

I used to have a cup of tea after dinner (herbal), and that kind of helped. Do you crave sweets after dinner, or more dinner?

I'm not actively trying to lost weight anymore, but I've been gaining recently, and I'd like that to stop now, please. I think once I get into a regular workout schedule it'll be fine, but man, I hate that slow creep up. I've seen it a lot, but consistency with exercise really is vital. That being said, can't beat yourself up about it either.

I already do the tea thing, it sometimes helps. It helps when I'm with my boyfriend and can focus on other stuff. I mostly crave sweet stuff after dinner.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:27 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

[quote="Mollylivebearer"]........Isa has her Make It Vegan book as a free download today. ......quote]

Whah??? Where?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:03 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

tofucheez wrote:
Mollylivebearer wrote:
........Isa has her Make It Vegan book as a free download today. ......quote]

Whah??? Where?

found it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I couldn't find it.

Yesterday I was at a pizza place with my brother and I ordered a salad, which was very difficult for me. But the salad sucked and there was so much olive oil on it I might have had the pizza instead. Urgh. I guess I could have asked for a salad without oil but that sucks, too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:07 am 
WRETCHED

So my husband and I had a true heart to heart last night about my weight. I thought previously when he tried to discuss things, he was picking on me so he thought it was a taboo subject. In some regards, it is but I think it was important for us to discuss.

He asked firstly if that me being morbidly obese meant I was going to die early. I told him that obesity is correlated with things that may cause early death such as heart disease and diabetes but that obesity itself doesn't cause death. I guess you can slip in sleep apnea there too. I don't have heart disease, diabetes, sleep apnea or any other things.

Then he went on to say that he didn't understand how I couldn't figure it out and just lose weight. I should just be able to exercise and eat a certain amount to be able to lose weight. I don't have a good answer for him other than it isn't easy. Plus I've read that some of the latest research shows that if you were obese as a child, your body will eventually set a higher set point for you than the average person and you have to eat a lot less calories to lose weight and maintain that weight. That doesn't mean I can't lose weight from where I'm at now but I wouldn't expect ever to weigh under 200 lbs as I don't think I can and when I got close, it was incredibly difficult to maintain.

In the end, he said he wants me to be happy. If I'm happy with where I'm at (which I'm not) then that is good enough for him. If I want to lose weight, he said I need to be more consistent and dedicated to it than I am. Which is true.

Of course do I know where to go from here? Not really.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:36 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Props linanil, that is a hard discussion to have. I need to do it too and it's terrifying.

My husband has always told me that he doesn't care about my body at all, and that it doesn't represent who I am. I of course can't see it any other way. I think my biggest revelation of late is that for me my weight is a direct reflection of how I have failed at taking care of myself emotionally. I look at myself in the mirror and see grief, anger, disgust and heartbreak. I don't know how to convey that to him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:49 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

VeganinBerlin wrote:

I already do the tea thing, it sometimes helps. It helps when I'm with my boyfriend and can focus on other stuff. I mostly crave sweet stuff after dinner.

Maybe you could eat a soy yogurt? It's sweet and only 80-100 cal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:18 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

GraciaKai wrote:
Props linanil, that is a hard discussion to have. I need to do it too and it's terrifying.

My husband has always told me that he doesn't care about my body at all, and that it doesn't represent who I am. I of course can't see it any other way. I think my biggest revelation of late is that for me my weight is a direct reflection of how I have failed at taking care of myself emotionally. I look at myself in the mirror and see grief, anger, disgust and heartbreak. I don't know how to convey that to him.

But see, I only "know" you from this forum. I see you from your kind and supportive posts you both send to others. When someone has a question on any of the subforums, you both jump in to help. I've never seen either of you physically, but I do see a part of your humanity. It's hard to struggle with the physical aspect of life. And true, it can reflect our emotions and feelings. But I hope you know your **true, deep down worth.**

It's sad, really, when you think of all the energy and time consumed by loathing and self hatred over however many years humans have been around. I hope you find peace with yourself. You really do deserve it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:37 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Aw, I totally agree with tofucheez--you deserve every happiness! It is so difficult to give yourself permission to truly care for yourself. Well, I know for me anyway, it makes me feel guilty like I'm being way too self-involved or something, but you know what? This is it. This is life. Might as well fill it with kindness and goodness as much as possible.

Speaking of, I got on the scale, and I've managed to put on about 10 pounds, too! Not the end of the world, but not how I want to be caring for myself. (Influx of stress eating, very inconsistent exercising.) I wouldn't mind the pounds, but they symbolize all of that other baggage. I'm going to take some time for thoughtful meals and regular exercise not so much because of the weight, but because it makes me feel invincible.

Many wishes of invincibility for everyone here!! Whatever size, we're powerful, and kind, and deserve to spend the time caring for ourselves that we so for others!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:43 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I cant agree more. And I truly and sincerely appreciate the kind words. I am taking steps to work on me inside and out. I feel super lucky to have all of you to help encourage me along the way. I feel confidant that there is good and relief coming.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:53 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Does any one else get really frustrated as a vegan who struggles with weight issues when they see what their omnivore friends and family eat? I mean, I know there are junk food vegans and just because it's vegan doesn't make it healthy... But I feel like I eat SO much healthier than my friends and I still struggle with weight issues. Sometimes it can be so depressing, you know? And frustrating.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:21 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

teppiedoo wrote:
Does any one else get really frustrated as a vegan who struggles with weight issues when they see what their omnivore friends and family eat? I mean, I know there are junk food vegans and just because it's vegan doesn't make it healthy... But I feel like I eat SO much healthier than my friends and I still struggle with weight issues. Sometimes it can be so depressing, you know? And frustrating.

Omg yes! All the time. Specially when Im spending 200 a week on food that mostly includes produce, nuts, beans, and pantry staples. Makes you shake your head stupid!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:24 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I'm hoping to lose weight and get healthy with a plant-based diet but I know it's not necessarily that easy. I don't only eat when I'm truly hungry and stop when I'm satisfied. There are so many reasons to eat and all I can do is try to do better and forgive myself when I don't succeed. But at 42, I have to look at my future and at this size and my sedentary lifestyle, my future wasn't looking so great. I refuse to count calories and start journaling every bite I put in my mouth because in my brain that turns into obsessive dieting. I am focusing on WHOLE foods as much as possible, no animal products and I am trying to train my taste buds to not like salt, sugar, fat. Easy peasy! Hahaha......... If I concentrate on nutrient-dense, high fiber foods and don't let myself get too hungry, hopefully I can do this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:16 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Last night I realized that when I'm with my boyfriend I speed up my eating because it makes me uncomfortable when he's finished and I'm still eating. This seriously needs to stop.

I also really need to get rid of this "all or nothing" approach.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:18 am 

Mollylivebeaver, I haven't had a chance to read it, but I know many PPKers really like the book Intuitive Eating (there's even a thread). I am going to check it out, because that's my biggest problem--eating when hungry, stopping when full. In the book Racing Weight, the author touches on this slightly, the difference between being "head hungry" and "stomach hungry" and suggests taking the weekend to reset a bit, only eating when stomach hungry, stopping when full, and that then your body will adjust a bit.

TL;DR: Good luck! You are definitely not alone!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Datura wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

You mean sweetened soy yoghurt? I don't know, it never feels like a dessert to me and still has the sugar and the calories of a pudding. But I am thinking of just planning in a 100 cal dessert in to my days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:21 am 

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Datura wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

You mean sweetened soy yoghurt? I don't know, it never feels like a dessert to me and still has the sugar and the calories of a pudding. But I am thinking of just planning in a 100 cal dessert in to my days.

I was going to suggest that. If you can have a bit of dark chocolate or something, that can definitely help. Or sometimes I'll have a bowl of cereal, but that's probably not the best choice. (Because one bowl of cereal leads to another for me, not because cereal is "bad".)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Yeah, cereal doesn't work for me. Cereal was a binge food in the good ol' days for me (cereals, potatoes & pasta), so it's not a good idea anytime except for breakfast sometimes. And it still doesn't feel like dessert to me. Just like another meal.

I'll try to just eat a piece of "real" sweets every day now. In recovery I was also told to have some sweets so I don't get the all or nothing approach. I'll keep you all updated on how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:31 am 
WRETCHED

The reason I stopped watching weight loss shows is because I'd get mad seeing the before diets of the people on them. My diet, even at my worst, didn't look anything like them. Eating tons of candy for breakfast? Eating a full size pizza for dinner? Sure maybe I a pint of ice cream for dinner (600 calories ?) at my worst but usually it was bread and cheese. And then I eat quinoa, beans and veggies for dinner and a rare treat (ice cream, cupcakes and such maybe 3-4 times per year). I don't eat fried foods except maybe fries once per year (usually at my work holiday luncheon).

Anyway, I was feeling really down on myself yesterday due to the conversation with my husband and me thinking I can't do this. My husband said he isn't looking for results, he wants me to just focus on actions. Exercise a little more, eat a little less, etc. If I don't lose any weight, then not that big of a deal, if I lose 1 lb per month, that would be great. I recently bought myself a Polar Loop (activity tracker) which gives me an estimate of how many calories I burn per day based on my activity. My husband suggested maybe trying to eat 200 calories less than it says so it is something easy. I don't know, because it is just an estimate, it can be a high estimate, it can be a low estimate but 200 calories is like half a sweet potato and seems so easy to go over. I'm aiming for a little lower and see where I go.

Although I felt like crepe yesterday and it was cold outside, I forced myself to take a walk. And then I felt crappy and laid down in bed, when my husband came home, he got me out of bed by saying he needed help exercising because he knew I'd want to exercise with him. So I did my weights while he did his program.

I feel better today but not 100%. We are going to go visit the in laws and my husband offered to cancel but their dog passed away last week and I'd feel more crappy canceling on them.

And I decided to try Lose It! again for calorie counting. I am telling myself that I don't have to stress about adding every little item, if I count up something, I'll just add it as a custom item and not worry about every little ingredient.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:21 am 

I like your husband's general approach, linanlil, but I'm more concerned with what will make you happiest, you know? I'm sure that's his first priority too, I mean. I don't know. I was also thinking, sure, weight loss is calories in/calories out--if you're healthy. I can't remember if you have thyroid troubles, but there could be that or metabolism issues that make it more difficult. I guess what I'm saying is be gentle with yourself. Feed yourself good, wholesome food, and do the exercising that you enjoy. Your idea with the lose it app is good, too. I was getting a bit bogged down with tracking every little thing, and I think that also contributed to my stressfulness.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:40 am 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I don't know, I've never seemed to have a normal metabolism but no specific signs of trouble although recently I've developed some symptoms that can be linked to hypothyroidism and started taking some iodine pills just in case before my next physical. I am going to try to be gentle but it is tough and I think my husband didn't understand entirely. He thought I must've somehow been secretly eating 5000 calories/day but then I explained to him that all I'd need is 500 calories/day extra to gain 50 lbs in a year. He was a bit more understanding after that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:31 pm 

That's what frustrates me when people talk about calories in/calories out because that's all it should be, but there are a million of different reasons why it may not be that easy (and can feel downright impossible). Try not to be too hard on yourself, linanlil. You can be healthy and happy at any size!

You still beating up that punching bag? How do you like the polar activity tracker? I got my new fitbit force, and I feel like it's going to help engage me in being more active even though it's cold. It can count stairs climbed, so I foresee myself taking the stairs just out of pure competitiveness.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:57 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

linanil wrote:
............ then I explained to him that all I'd need is 500 calories/day extra to gain 50 lbs in a year...... .

both true and shocking/appalling/I don't know what the word is. I mean, 100 extra per day gains you (general you) a pound-ish a month. And let's face it, 100 over the course of a day is not even noticeable. And that's over ten pounds in ONE YEAR! Madness! It always amazes me how easy it is to gain weight. You don't have to eat much or be inactive. It's the little creep up that can easily get a person.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:47 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

ndpittman wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is be gentle with yourself. Feed yourself good, wholesome food, and do the exercising that you enjoy.

This is my mindset. I am interested in the Engine 2 diet and Forks Over Knives. And Isa's book Appetite For Reduction. But generally I'm attempting to use the reminder that most things that come in a crinkly bag are not good for me. :D If it comes from a plant and it isn't too processed, it's gotta be good. I appreciate the support already on this forum. Knowing that I am helping my health and NOT contributing to the death of animals keeps me motivated so far.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:13 am 
WRETCHED

I am doing the punching bag and it is fun :) And the polar loop is nice, it'll even sync with a heart rate monitor if you wear one. I am surprised at how well it does steps for something on my wrist. I went walking the other day with my hands in my pocket and it still counted steps. It has a little activity bar for how much activity it things you should get and gives suggestions (jog/walk on wrist, other activities in the app) on how to get there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 145  Next