| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:16 am 
WRETCHED

Congrats IDJI!

I posted I was struggling with working out but Amazon had a deal on Jillian's Body Revolution so I went for it. I have to say I find Jillian annoying, very annoying. I was struggling with following workouts from books so I figured a 12 week DVD program may be what I need. I am surprised, Jillian toned down the annoying in the Body Revolution! I love the workouts, I've done 3 disks so far, Workout 1, 2 and Cardio 1.

I posted in the SAD thread but I tried taking some 5-HTP since it is a mood booster but my bottle also says it is an appetite suppressant. I didn't think it'd work on me because nothing does but I think it might be helping curb my appetite? I think it is helping my mood as well though which was my primary reason for taking it. Prior to taking it though, I haven't done any unplanned snacking in over a week which is good for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:59 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

linanil wrote:
Congrats IDJI!

I posted I was struggling with working out but Amazon had a deal on Jillian's Body Revolution so I went for it. I have to say I find Jillian annoying, very annoying. I was struggling with following workouts from books so I figured a 12 week DVD program may be what I need. I am surprised, Jillian toned down the annoying in the Body Revolution! I love the workouts, I've done 3 disks so far, Workout 1, 2 and Cardio 1.

I posted in the SAD thread but I tried taking some 5-HTP since it is a mood booster but my bottle also says it is an appetite suppressant. I didn't think it'd work on me because nothing does but I think it might be helping curb my appetite? I think it is helping my mood as well though which was my primary reason for taking it. Prior to taking it though, I haven't done any unplanned snacking in over a week which is good for me.

Hi linanil, this is completely anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt, but my husband when to the emergency room with super high blood pressure - he had a bad panic attack - and his BP was something nuts like 180 over 140. This was very unusual for him, he did some research, etc and he found that the 5-HTP might have been to blame. (He was taking it a as general mood booster.) He stopped it 3 weeks ago and has taken his BP every day and every day it has been a bit lower - now its 117/78. Like I said, he's one person and that's one case, but just please take note if you start to feel odd. Sometimes those herbal things affect people differently and because they are not generally prescribed or regulated I don't think we hear a lot about the side effects.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:48 pm 
WRETCHED

Thanks for the info emma. I go to visit my doctor next month (although gyn appt this week, I may mention it as well) and I was going to specifically mention the 5-HTP. The one I have says it is a slow release.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:01 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

linalil, I'm glad you're feeling better. But I wonder if the good stuff happening is due more to your workouts than the 5-HTP? I know that for me, exercise is the best for all around goodness...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:24 am 
WRETCHED

Well working out is good although I've been struggling with working out for a long time and SAD always hits me. I'm glad whatever I'm doing seems to be working :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:46 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

ijdi: fwiw, I started my 'weight loss journey' because I kept getting offered seats on the train, too. Maybe get a pair of black pants as a 'transitional' pair? Or whatever your go-to is for work? I kept wearing big clothes for some time, and still do most of the time because I'm pretty cheap with clothes now.

Linanlil: I am SO glad you're feeling a bit better!! I hope it continues! SAD sucks balls (in the bad way).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:34 pm 
WRETCHED

I just wanted to report in. I'm doing well, really well. Been exercising most days, been on plan every day for the last 2 weeks. I plan to start P90x3 in January which should be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

grr... I was keeping on track, maintaining. Then I got out of the habit with the holidays and I'm back up 4.5 pounds with no veggies in the house. I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow to get some things to make me feel less bloated and sluggish.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Definitely been letting things slip. I feel bloated and ick. Now that the holiday schedule nightmare is over, can hopefully get back to cooking proper meals and not eating toasted bagels twice a day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My boyfriend made awesome dinner at new year's eve but I got such horrible liver pain. It keeps hurting since then, which means it's time to go strictly low-fat again and not eat more than 30 grams a day or so. It also means I need to make weightloss and getting to a lower weight a priority again. My liver is already under enough stress with having to take medicine, me being horrible sensitive to all kinds of things (caffeine, sugar, etc) and not having a gall bladder anymore.

I feel like I'm addicted to sugary sweets again which I hadn't been for a long time. It means I probably have to cut out sweets for some time. At least I need to stop buying it. And really try not eat after dinner. That's the hardest part for me :/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:28 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Okay so I spend a lot of time wearing stretchy waist things. Sweat pants, yoga pants, whatever. I think this isn't helpful. I went to AE about 2 months ago and got some slightly too big stretchy jeans that aren't like WEIRD stretchy, and they make me feel better about myself somehow. Like, look, I'm in jeans and they're comfy and loose! Totally worth it, mentally.

145.2 and slowly falling. 5'.

I've had a fitbit since August and 1/1 was the first day it ever went over 10K steps, because we went to the zoo which is really spread out. I had 2 1/2 weeks of the flu, but it was all cough.

linanil wrote:
Plus I've read that some of the latest research shows that if you were obese as a child, your body will eventually set a higher set point for you than the average person and you have to eat a lot less calories to lose weight and maintain that weight. That doesn't mean I can't lose weight from where I'm at now but I wouldn't expect ever to weigh under 200 lbs as I don't think I can and when I got close, it was incredibly difficult to maintain.

Oh man, that's a bisque. I don't have exact numbers, but I'm making a guess that I was obese from age 9 until 15, and it's definitely been harder. Like, I NEVER worked out when I was a teenager, except for color guard/band stuff during band season.

teppiedoo wrote:
Does any one else get really frustrated as a vegan who struggles with weight issues when they see what their omnivore friends and family eat? I mean, I know there are junk food vegans and just because it's vegan doesn't make it healthy... But I feel like I eat SO much healthier than my friends and I still struggle with weight issues. Sometimes it can be so depressing, you know? And frustrating.

YES. This is one of the reasons I stopped friending non-vegans on My Fitness Pal. I mean, it's not helpful to me if you're losing weight eating nothing but cheese and meat. Shut up.

linanil wrote:
The reason I stopped watching weight loss shows is because I'd get mad seeing the before diets of the people on them. My diet, even at my worst, didn't look anything like them. Eating tons of candy for breakfast? Eating a full size pizza for dinner? Sure maybe I a pint of ice cream for dinner (600 calories ?) at my worst but usually it was bread and cheese. And then I eat quinoa, beans and veggies for dinner and a rare treat (ice cream, cupcakes and such maybe 3-4 times per year). I don't eat fried foods except maybe fries once per year (usually at my work holiday luncheon).

YES. I watch those shows and segments all excited to learn something helpful, and it's never any use. I'm always like "I DO THAT ALREADY!" to the good stuff.

linanil wrote:
Despite my husband's advice, I've been eating around 1200 calories/day the last few days which I think is too low for me because today I'm starving. I have been doing some exercise every day as well. I feel good today but just wish I wasn't so hungry.

1200 is a bisque. How tall are you again? I'm 5' and that's my recommended, and sometimes I make a nice smoothie and it's almost 500 calories.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:48 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I've got a question! I'm trying to lose a little bit of fat right now using the TDEE - 500 method to lose 1 pound a week. It seems very reasonable, but I'm a bit confused.

My BMR is 1440
My TDEE is 2357 (I exercise every day)
2357 - 500 = 1857

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I should be eating 1857 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.

What I don't understand is if I should be eating back my exercise calories. For example, yesterday I ate about 1800 calories, but I burned about 300 exercising, so my total net intake for the day was only about 1500 calories, which is only a tiny bit above my BMR. That seems really low to me. Most of the information I've encountered says don't eat back the exercise calories if it's already taken into account with your TDEE, but I feel like I have to be missing something. I think it makes more sense that my net intake for the day should be about 1800, which is still 500 calories below my TDEE. Is that right?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:11 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm following your method -TDEE minus 500 calories as well. I think you should eat your exercise calories back otherwise you'll be at too great of a calorie deficit. Mind you, having said that, I did find it difficult to do this yesterday. I was busy and did work out, and by 8 pm was still 600 calories below the minimum I should have eaten that day. I did have a bowl of cereal and a couple of cookies with soymilk at bedtime, but still fell short of my minimum...I usually have the opposite problem. Needles to say I was very hungry when I woke up this morning. I don't know for certain, I always just worry that if I eat much too little I'll end up bingeing for days afterwards -that's what's happened in the past with me. I aiming for very slow weight loss, I just want to keep it off for good this time. I have 65 pounds to lose and if it takes me 2 years to lose it that's fine. As long as I'm shrinking and not gaining, I'm not concerned with how slowly it's all happening. Of course if two months go by and I've not lost an ounce, I'll stop eating back my exercise calories, but from what I've read, I think you're supposed to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:56 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Your TDEE should account for your exercise calories if you are entering it correctly, so you should still be eating a 500 calorie deficit. For example, if on a non-exercise day my TDEE is 2300, eating a 500 cal deficit will put me at 1800. But on an exercise day my TDEE is 2650 so I should eat 2150.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:26 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Okay, yeah. I was definitely over thinking that.

1800 feels good. I'm eating pretty much like I normally do, but just planning better and avoiding high calorie junk foods.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:51 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I am back in this thread for inspiration and support. I have put on a lot of weight (for me) in the last eighteen months, but have been in "if I don't think about it, it isn't happening" mode. Yesterday I went and bought some clothes that fit (having been literally wearing the same two outfits for months), and today I got on the scales. I have 30 pounds to lose to get back to my goal weight (I'm 5'6 and currently 172 pounds).

Wish me luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:03 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Good luck, jogirl!

I put a few pounds back on over December, which I was kind of expecting to, but now I'm finding it difficult not to continue the slide back into mindlessly eating half a packet of cereal at a time. I suppose that will get easier as the month progresses and I eat up the seasonal sweet and fatty foods acquired over December, since my budget for the month won't allow me to get more. I have a feeling I should probably do some kind of brown rice and apples diet for a couple of days to re-set me from expecting coffee and chocolates for breakfast.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:55 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I lost weight & got fit in 2011/2012 & managed to keep it off for about a year but over the last 6 months I've known it was creeping back on. I stopped weighing myself because I knew it would depress me which probably wasn't a good idea as it allowed me to put more on. Anyway, now feels like the time to sort it out again SO, I've weighed myself today 62.6kg, set up an online tracker & I'm gonna try & get things back to 57kg. The tracker says it will take until May! So looks like I'll be back for a while. It really helped my motivation posting her last time.
So I need to stop snacking on spoonfuls of peanut butter, marmite toast, protein bars & chocolate instead of eating meals & snacking on fruit. I need to stop adding syrup to my coffee. I need to cut back on alcohol.
Right I'm going to make some food for the week from AFR!
Good luck everyone...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:26 am 
Chip Strong

I just tried my uniform on (work starts again tomorrow) and it just fits. Just. I lost about 14lb in the five weeks before Christmas which I am grateful for otherwise I would be sellotaping my uniform together tomorrow.
I felt much better and in control when I lost the weight (especially proving wrong those people who said you can't loose weight after you reach 30) so I'm starting again today. I think I have put on about 18lb over Christmas (being diabetic its the only time of the year when I completely relax and eat/drink whatever I want) and can't wait to start shedding pounds.
Good luck everyone

π

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:51 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

You either do TDEE or you do the smaller number and eat back your exercise calories. (Like my TDEE is 1550 or whatever (I forget, but as an example) so I can eat 1550 OR I can eat 1200 and then whatever calories I earn through exercise)

I'm at my lowest point in like 7 months! Here's my weight graph to prove that no good comes from stopping tracking (at least if you're me)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:14 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I finally stepped on the scale (okay, it was the WiiFit, but whatever) and i am only at 140! I still want to lose 10 lbs, but i was expecting to be closer to 150.
I need to stop nibbling and snack on vegetables. I just like baking and sweets so much. I'll start halfing recipes, and limit myself to making sweet things once or twice a week.
I am going to pre-cut lots of veggies and keep lower fat dips and dressings on hand. It's so easy to eat peanut butter toast three times a day whenever i need a snack. I love fresh peppers and carrots; i just need to eat them.
Blah, but of course my birthday is later this week, which means getting drunk and eating pizza and sundaes with no regrets. Oh well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I haven't been weighing myself, but I finally did and I've lost 7 lbs this year; I think most of the weight loss happened in the last few months. My goal is to lose the 15 lb I put on in grad school, so I'm halfway there. I feel really encouraged! Hopefully my plan of exercising 30 min/day with my husband in addition to calorie counting will help me reach and maintain my final goal.

The trick for me has been eating a filling breakfast every day (smoothies weren't cutting it!), bringing my lunch, and not buying fancy coffee drinks. This has also really helped our budget too! Every day I have a bowl of crock pot steel cut oats, a large iced black coffee mid-morning, and a late lunch, which is usually several pieces of fruit and a mondo salad with some grains and beans for bulk. Then dinner is something from one of Isa's cookbooks. I try to put the dinner leftovers away after dishing up so I don't have a second or third plate. I also cut back on baking and satiate my sweet tooth with a few handfuls of chocolate chips. It's all pretty basic stuff but it takes more planning than I've been willing to commit to in the past. Also, for the first time ever I don't feel deprived. I think I had a little growing up to do before I could take on healthier eating habits. Also, having a CSA subscription really helped. Having a variety of veggies forced on me made me think of creative ways to use them up! We cancelled our subscription due to the cost, but I hope I can keep that habit going.

How do you guys feel about people commenting on your weight loss? It makes me really uncomfortable but I think I'm being overly sensitive. My husband said he noticed my face is thinner than this time last year and it sort of annoyed me that he said something. I guess I don't like anyone thinking about my weight?

annabazoo wrote:
It's so easy to eat peanut butter toast three times a day whenever i need a snack. I love fresh peppers and carrots; i just need to eat them.

This is so true! I'm a lazy snacker and always reach for a readily accessible grain rather than bother to cut up veggies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:11 pm 
WRETCHED

I've been struggling for way, way too long. The good news is I probably weigh a few lbs less than I did last January.

I'm very apprehensive about it but I'm going to a 'fat camp' for a week in about a month. (they don't call it a fat camp but it reminds me of those). It is actually a program that focuses on non-dieting and addresses a lot of the psychological issues for obesity. I was nervous about signing up because I don't want it to be something that doesn't work but my husband said that if it doesn't work for me, it doesn't work. I was just happy that they are supportive of a vegan diet.

For right now, I'm trying to exercise every day except today exhaustion hit me so that was a no go. And I'm following the P90x3 diet plan for now which I actually like.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Good luck with the camp! I say just try to go in with a positive attitude. Hopefully at least some of it will be helpful, even if some of it is not.
I am trying to make sure most of my grocery cart is full of fruits and veggies, and that most of my meal is fruits and veggies. The past two nights i have eaten something plus a simple spinach salad for dinner. I hope to keep this up. Spinach is my favorite salad green because it does not need to be cut up or anything.
I hooked the ps2 up to the tv in front of the stationary bike. The bike is nice because it has a timer, so i can set it for 30 minutes and concentrate on taking down the empire while i bike.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:36 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I need to lose about 20 lb. My weight's been creeping up over the last two years and it's at the point where I feel like poo. So, I used up all of the odds and ends of 'junk' food over the holidays (chips, pizza, white pasta etc.) and stocked up today on veggies, fruit, legumes etc. Today I made and portioned out a bunch of food for breakfast/lunch/dinner for the next week or so. I also have a groupon for Koko fit club so I'll sign up for that next month when the rush is over. Onwards!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 145  Next