| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

couroupita wrote:
How do you guys feel about people commenting on your weight loss? It makes me really uncomfortable but I think I'm being overly sensitive. My husband said he noticed my face is thinner than this time last year and it sort of annoyed me that he said something. I guess I don't like anyone thinking about my weight?.

I've only ever found it motivating that people think I'm looking slimmer. I don't think I get many compliments about how I look or what I'm wearing, so I find it nice when someone says something positive about me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:52 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Chickpea wrote:
couroupita wrote:
How do you guys feel about people commenting on your weight loss? It makes me really uncomfortable but I think I'm being overly sensitive. My husband said he noticed my face is thinner than this time last year and it sort of annoyed me that he said something. I guess I don't like anyone thinking about my weight?.

I've only ever found it motivating that people think I'm looking slimmer. I don't think I get many compliments about how I look or what I'm wearing, so I find it nice when someone says something positive about me.

For me it depends on who is commenting and whether or not they're being honest. My good friends or husband? Sure. A customer at work? NO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thanks. No one knows I'm trying to lose weight so it bugs me when anyone brings it up without me saying anything. Guess I should try to get used to accepting compliments...?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:19 pm 
Chip Strong

Is anyone else finding it hard not to overeat, in the depths of winter? I've been doing so well tracking my food and working out, and today the winter/post Christmas blues just go to me. I'm sure I'll be back on track tomorrow, but today was really hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:24 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yes it's very hard! In the summer I can eat salad for every meal no problem. In the winter all I want is bread, potatoes and bread and more bread. Soups work and they are so easy to make low fat without compromising flavor. I also want to bake all the time in the winter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yes to winter overeating. It is so *dreary* here all the time. I know I shouldn't complain given the absolutely horrible weather others are experiencing, but the wet, cold, gray days make it so much less pleasant to be outside and I just get depressed. I still exercise and eat healthy food, just too much of it. I feel like I just want to cry sometimes (every winter) and I always gain during the winter, which doesn't help with the mood.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:06 pm 

Definite stress eating today, and largely sugary unhealthy things. But stress eating salad just isn't the same.

I could really go for a bowl of macaroni with EB and notch right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:31 pm 
Chip Strong

Ah thanks guys. It's good to know I'm not alone.

Yes soup is wonderful comfort food without all the calories - and I did make a large pot of lentil soup over the weekend. Weirdly though, I actually felt hostility toward it - if the lentil soup had a face I would have punched it. I did make some shepherd's pie (from Vegetarian meat and potatoes) that was low calorie and delicious, so maybe I'm just tired of soup. I saw a kale, sweet potato and black bean casserole on spark that I may try next.

I reclaimed the SAD lamp this morning (the cat's been using it) but all it did was hurt my already cranky eyeballs. I should have just gone for a walk instead I think.

* hugs Moon. No, stress eating salad just isn't the same :(

I've barred myself from baking, I just had no self-control with it. Dh is having to eat store-bought baked goods, and only ones I hate.

Okay, tomorrow is another day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I haven't lost any weight the past month, so I think I'll have to have a stricter calorie "budget".
Breakfast (around 300 calories)
Fruit Snack
Lunch (around 500 calories)
Fruit Snack
Dinner (around 500 calories)

That should be about 1500 calories, which doesn't sound unreasonable to me, either way. I'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:34 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

jean wrote:
Weirdly though, I actually felt hostility toward it - if the lentil soup had a face I would have punched it.

I kind of want to sig this!

Also I just started counting calories today and I want to eat all the things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:55 pm 

kaerlighed wrote:
jean wrote:
Weirdly though, I actually felt hostility toward it - if the lentil soup had a face I would have punched it.

I kind of want to sig this!

Also I just started counting calories today and I want to eat all the things.

Sig it up! I totally LOLed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I started tracking my food on Sunday. Monday was so hard! Tuesday a little less hard, but not much really! However today was much easier. I think maybe your body just needs to adjust, especially after Christmas. It's made me realise how much I had allowed my eating to creep up. Bigger portions, mindless snacking when I wasn't even hungry. I've struggled this week but I'm determined. I just hope the scales show a loss on Sunday.
Now I've read this thread I want lentil soup!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

linanil wrote:
I'm very apprehensive about it but I'm going to a 'fat camp' for a week in about a month. (they don't call it a fat camp but it reminds me of those). It is actually a program that focuses on non-dieting and addresses a lot of the psychological issues for obesity.

This sounds really interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing about it, if you don't mind sharing. I hope it goes well for you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:48 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Have been counting calories for a few days, can't believe how many I must have been consuming up to now. Ooof.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:52 pm 
Chip Strong

I wonder at this too. When I'm not concerned about my weight or health for that matter, I'm an impulsive/compulsive free range, grazing sort of eater. I'd love to know what the actually calorie count of a typical overeating sort of day would have been. But because I would eat so mindlessly I would have to actually let myself go and eat all the food in order to track it, hard to just recreate it in my mind in order to do a count. Curious though.

I'm back within my calorie range today, so this is good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Yeah, I always wonder this, too. I'd like to figure out how much I was eating when I just kept up my high weight, but once I write it down I start eating less, so it seems a bit impossible to figure out. Plus, when I eat-like-I-dont-care it mostly means eating more yummy vegan pizza from the vegan pizza place or buying cupcakes, nothing I can properly count anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm trying to drop a little bit of fat also, and I learned something super important this week: get a digital scale and WEIGH EVERYTHING. I always weighed produce and stuff, but things like PB or quinoa? Where it says 1 T = 100 and .25 cup dry = 160 right on the package? Never. I just measured out 1T or .25 cup. Yeah, guess what. 1T not quite what it seems to be. Half a serving of PB (which is 1T) is supposed to be something like 14 grams. When I zeroed out my scale with my measuring spoon on it (so the weight of the spoon would not be included), put 1 level T of PB on said spoon and put back on the scale, it was really more like 22 grams. Same thing with my quinoa. So, even if you are measuring you might still be taking in more kcal than you think, because all this adds up (especially for nut butters!). Bummer I know, because a real half serving of PB is downright pitiful.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:17 pm 
Chip Strong

A lot more people are saying this now, and a food scale does seem like it might be a valuable tool - especially for things like potatoes, really hard to know if I'm using a medium russet or a large one, and yes it's 3-4 inches in length but is it a skinny potato or a fat potato.

Today my eating is within range again. I went for a walk before breakfast (it was light out). I'm going to get in the habit of doing this each day. I tend to work out at home with dvds and dumbells, so I think it would be good for my mental health to just start the day with some fresh air. Plus different muscles are worked with walking on earth or pavement than doing aerobics on carpet.

I was wondering what everyone's opinion on scales are. People scales I mean. Mine is broken, so I'm just relying on my waist measurement to gage my progress. I am tracking my calories and exercise to keep myself honest, but I'm wondering if a bathroom scale would be a worthwhile purchase or do I just want to satisfy my gadget lust?

edited for typo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:31 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Personally, I don't do scales (for people). I can retain a ridiculous amount of water, so even my size can change dramatically over the course of one day. I wish I could figure out what it's related to, but I can't find a connection. So anyway, the number on a scale doesn't mean much to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:41 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I don't like the scale either. It's a really unreliable way to track any sort of progress, especially if you're gaining muscle while trying to lose fat. I also find that, for me, it's way to easy to get obsessed with the meaningless number and completely lose perspective.

The only reason I have kept my scale is to recalculate my daily caloric needs every month or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

For me the scale is important because I'm totally incapable of seeing weight loss changes. People will point it out to me, my pants will drop but I feel the same. So the scale is something that actually gives me something tangible.

And I've finally started losing. Not much, but it was good to see a lower number.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:08 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Also, yesterday was a good day. I even hit most of my vitamin/mineral goals (with some Vitamin D/b12 help).

Breakfast: Clifbar & Apple
Snack: Apple
Lunch: Potato-pea gratin with steamed broccoli & arugula and a cereal bar
Snack: another cereal bar
Dinner: Spaghetti with lentil-tomato sauce and a piece of chocolate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:00 am 
Ninja Master

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I don't like the scale either. It's a really unreliable way to track any sort of progress, especially if you're gaining muscle while trying to lose fat. I also find that, for me, it's way to easy to get obsessed with the meaningless number and completely lose perspective.

This is pretty much how I feel about it, after years and years of being obsessive about weighing myself, when I'm dieting.

So now I'm not doing it weekly anymore. In fact if I lived alone, I would get rid of it completely and just weigh myself at the gym every few months to adjust calories etc like you said. (Or let the doc do it when I have my 6 monthly pill checkup!)

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:54 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm sorry to post here, since I'm not trying to lose weight, but I have noticed some changes in my body and energy levels, and I want to try tracking my food to see if I notice any trends or issues. I've used Sparkpeople a bit in the past, but when I logged in again recently, I HAAAATED the interface. I also hate how when I search for something like "broccoli," the first 10+ results are things like "Chili's Broccoli Pasta." Anyone have any recommendations for nutrition tracking programs/apps/sites? I want it to keep track of protein/carbs/fat for sure, but it would be awesome if it also kept track of other vitamins and minerals and stuff.

Thank you!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:29 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

jordanpattern wrote:
I'm sorry to post here, since I'm not trying to lose weight, but I have noticed some changes in my body and energy levels, and I want to try tracking my food to see if I notice any trends or issues. I've used Sparkpeople a bit in the past, but when I logged in again recently, I HAAAATED the interface. I also hate how when I search for something like "broccoli," the first 10+ results are things like "Chili's Broccoli Pasta." Anyone have any recommendations for nutrition tracking programs/apps/sites? I want it to keep track of protein/carbs/fat for sure, but it would be awesome if it also kept track of other vitamins and minerals and stuff.

Thank you!!!

I really like cronometer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 145  Next