| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:44 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Nebraskalaska wrote:
linanil wrote:
get weight loss surgery (which is what she told me last time). Really, I just need to switch doctors.

I would run away fast.

Why?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:11 pm 
WRETCHED

In general, the weight loss surgery recommendation isn't one to be taken lightly. I personally have no co-morbidities although I'm well in the BMI range of those who get WLS.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:03 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I think that the risks and side effects far outweigh the benefits in most cases. It seems really irresponsible to recommend WLS to someone who does not have health issues associated with being overweight; in general I think it should be a last resort if a change in diet and lifestyle isn't working and there are immediate risks to a persons health.

This article can explain more about the awesome, rarely discussed side effects of WLS side effects.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:14 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I took a 90 minute bikram yoga class tonight. It was HARD and my heart rate was up the whole time. Myfitnesspal tells me I only burned 277 calories, which I don't think is right. Other websites say 90 minutes of bikram yoga burns 400-900 calories.

I have no idea which website to trust! Maybe I should get a heart rate monitor so I can track things more accurately? Does anyone do this and is it complicated?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:36 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

linanil wrote:
In general, the weight loss surgery recommendation isn't one to be taken lightly. I personally have no co-morbidities although I'm well in the BMI range of those who get WLS.

After I posted that question I did wonder if it could be misunderstood. Sorry about that linanil, I was curious why nebraskalaska said she'd run away because the doctor suggested WLS. I definitely didn't mean to ask you to justify why you didn't want WLS.

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I think that the risks and side effects far outweigh the benefits in most cases. It seems really irresponsible to recommend WLS to someone who does not have health issues associated with being overweight; in general I think it should be a last resort if a change in diet and lifestyle isn't working and there are immediate risks to a persons health.

This article can explain more about the awesome, rarely discussed side effects of WLS side effects.

Ah ok, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:52 am 
Not NOT A Furry

RiotSquirrrrrrrel wrote:
I took a 90 minute bikram yoga class tonight. It was HARD and my heart rate was up the whole time. Myfitnesspal tells me I only burned 277 calories, which I don't think is right. Other websites say 90 minutes of bikram yoga burns 400-900 calories.

I have no idea which website to trust! Maybe I should get a heart rate monitor so I can track things more accurately? Does anyone do this and is it complicated?

MFP is notoriously inaccurate with the calorie burns. You can manually enter calories burnt if you know the accurate amount but...I don't know how to find that. I've been thinking about a hrm too so would also be interested in hearing if anyone's used one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:54 am 
WRETCHED

No problems kaerlighed, I understand! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:27 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

jordanpattern wrote:
I'm sorry to post here, since I'm not trying to lose weight, but I have noticed some changes in my body and energy levels, and I want to try tracking my food to see if I notice any trends or issues. I've used Sparkpeople a bit in the past, but when I logged in again recently, I HAAAATED the interface. I also hate how when I search for something like "broccoli," the first 10+ results are things like "Chili's Broccoli Pasta." Anyone have any recommendations for nutrition tracking programs/apps/sites? I want it to keep track of protein/carbs/fat for sure, but it would be awesome if it also kept track of other vitamins and minerals and stuff.

Thank you!!!

Yeah, when I put in a fresh fruit or vegetable, I want that to be my first result, not some fake food sort of thing. I switched from Spark to My Fitness Pal, and I like it better, but it still has a bit of that problem.

ijustdiedinside wrote:
My dessert is usually a clementine and a few squares of dark chocolate and i'm back to cooking out of AFR. I'd really like to lose maybe just 3 more pounds before the cruise at the end of february.

I'm back to AFR too! I made the black bean quinoa salad, and when I ate it, I added 1/2 to a full head of romaine lettuce when I had a serving to stretch it out. I also added some nooch and sriracha, because we all know that we can eat 2, 3 servings of that recipe no problem.

clementine + dark chocolate sounds awesome!

linanil wrote:

well and it seems like it just glosses over the problems in some ways. i too would be wary of a doc who threw that out as a solution.

RiotSquirrrrrrrel wrote:

This is the only bad thing about yoga. Magic, but the calorie burn sucks. It's hard to imagine it'd be 900 calories, and it's dependent on effort and sweating and all that, so hard to say. When I think a calorie count seems low, I round up a little, and take estimations into effect. So . . . 375, I'd use that. Just to be safe. I have a cheapy timex watch and band I got and I wear that for all my workouts these days.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:54 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

RiotSquirrrrrrrel wrote:

I read somewhere (I'm afraid I can't remember where) that hot yoga is a little deceptive in this manner because the heat makes everything feel a lot harder but you aren't actually burning many more calories than in room-temperature yoga.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:59 am 

Oh I forgot to mention I broke through my plateau! Not a lot, but enough to make me happy :) 144.4 now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:00 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have a polar heart rate monitor & so does my friend. I used it all the time when I first started running & found it useful. I tend not to use it much now but I was thinking recently that I may use it just to check that I am working hard enough when I'm running & not slacking off,which I have a tendency to do!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:04 pm 
WRETCHED

I have days when I do good for a few days and then fall flat on my face other days. The good news is I've been doing really well with both exercise and eating well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:20 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

RiotSquirrrrrrrel wrote:

I've had the same problem and have considered getting a heart rate monitor, but I've also heard that's not very accurate either. Also the idea of wearing something on my chest when I'm in a vinyasa class is not fun.

My super scientific solution has been to assume I burn about 300-400 calories in most yoga sessions and factor that into my TDEE. I'll eat a few hundred extra calories that day if I find that I'm really hungry.

I would honestly pay good money for someone to accurately tell me how many calories I burn doing yoga.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:56 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Honestly, I don't think that yoga is much of a calorie burner. I guess if you are doing really vigorous vinyasa flow yoga with continuous sun salutations and you are sweating and working really hard, then that's burning some calories. Generally I account for yoga as basically zero calories burnt, unless it's a particularly vigorous experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:02 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

j-dub wrote:
RiotSquirrrrrrrel wrote:

I read somewhere (I'm afraid I can't remember where) that hot yoga is a little deceptive in this manner because the heat makes everything feel a lot harder but you aren't actually burning many more calories than in room-temperature yoga.

This is good to know! I think I'll focus on running and p90x, and just do yoga class once a week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:05 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

My running gear is full of holes, so I just ordered these! So excited!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:19 pm 

THE FIRST ONE. Love.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:
THE FIRST ONE. Love.

I don't run but would consider taking it up just to wear that tank top.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:40 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I want that tank top to run in the summer. like NOW. PLEASE.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I sort of fell off the wagon in November and December between going to conferences, holidays, laziness, that sort of thing, and gained a couple pounds back, but am now back on and under my lowest recent weight, so yay. I have a bet with my husband that I can lose 50 pounds by September (counting from Jan. 1) and he can lose 30. If we win the bet we're going to go for babymaking round 2. I am definitely in the lead at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:09 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm continuing to do good! I posted in the weight loss gadgets thread but I decided to go back to fitbit for health insurance reasons. Anyone have one? Want to be friends? I can't figure out how to get my profile but I'm friends with lobsterrific and appi, under name Lina.

I'm trying to get my 7000 steps in at least.

I'm also trying to stay away from the scale but I can't. It is a habit I want to break because everytime I see a certain number, my eating goes wild.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

good job, linanil! I'm pretty much only motivated by the scale, so I need to look at it. It does bum me out when I gain, but it motivates me. I hide the scale under the couch and only take it out on Mondays when my husband and I both weigh ourselves, then we put it away again. the daily fluctuations are too frustrating.

My big accomplishment this past week is that I got Jillian Michaels Six-Week Six Pack video last wednesday and I've actually done it 4 days so far (wed, thurs, sun, mon). That's more consistent days of exercise than i've done in a loooong time. I would exercise for one random day then not do it again for a week. I'm not trying to get a six pack, but it's a really good mix of cardio and abs and i've never sweat as much. the first three days I could only make it through half the routine before i wanted to die, but today i made it through the whole thing. I feel really good about this. I've also been cooking a lot and mostly from AFR, so I've been on track with eating and exercise for maybe the first time ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Weighed myself for the first time in a while the other day, and I'm maintaining pretty well still! Was right at 121 again. This is good considering I've not been tracking and not being a super super healthy eater. Not terrible, but not awesome.

Still need to get back to working out. Tried an app on my iPad but with dad at home I've lost my den as my workout space, and there's not really enough room in my bedroom. I apparently am really weird about family members seeing me work out.

A friend at work and I are hopefully going to start Zumba classes this week as they're pretty cheap and look like fun. I also want to sign up at yoga studio again. I need to find space to do yoga at home again.... Not enough space in my room and the den always has dad in it so I'm not really comfortable doing it in there, which sucks as it was my usual practice space before.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:23 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Moon wrote:
A friend at work and I are hopefully going to start Zumba classes this week as they're pretty cheap and look like fun. I also want to sign up at yoga studio again. I need to find space to do yoga at home again.... Not enough space in my room and the den always has dad in it so I'm not really comfortable doing it in there, which sucks as it was my usual practice space before.

Do you think you could schedule a consistent time with your dad so that you can use the den for an hour a few days a week?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

No, he really only leaves his chair long enough to go to the bathroom or out for a smoke. He sleeps and eats in his chair and isn't even doing any work any more so he doesn't spend reasonable pockets of time at the computer either.

I'm starting to think there might be *just* enough floor space in "his bedroom" aka the room that has his bed in it. I need to try it out tomorrow.

ETA: today I just want to eat ALL THE COOKIES.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 144  Next