| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 144  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

couroupita wrote:
Mfp says I eat too many carbs and too few fats. I can't help it...it's just how I naturally eat! All the carbs come from whole grains and fruit and stuff. I'm not sure if I should make an effort to get closer to the recommended amounts or keep on the way I am since I feel good.
Sorry to pee in the teapot, but if you're trying to change your body composition through food, you need to do what you don't naturally do. Try eating fewer carbs for a week and treat it a an opportunity to try new foods and recipes. Make it into a project! It's as fun as you make it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

So I don't have a scale and don't really care about my weight as a number, but my running + eating to hunger routine is yielding pretty good results. I have lost very noticeable amounts of fat in my face and legs (and since I don't measure, when I say noticeable, I mean entire handfuls, gone). My arms and core are much more firm. My butt is also changing noticeably - more round and firm. I originally went up a jeans size (yay strong quads!) and then down 2 more.

My routine is running 3 to 4 times a week, increasing the mileage regularly - I started with c25k in September and am now following a 10k training program - and lifting / body weight exercise 1 to 2 times a week as cross training - I follow a very toned down version of strong lifts 5x5. Food wise, anything goes as long as I never get hungry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:12 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Gulliver wrote:
Sorry to pee in the teapot, but if you're trying to change your body composition through food, you need to do what you don't naturally do. Try eating fewer carbs for a week and treat it a an opportunity to try new foods and recipes. Make it into a project! It's as fun as you make it.

So is it true you can change your body composition by changing what you eat? What sort of foods do you recommend for this?
I've seen the term 'clean eating' bouncing around the internet, and people saying that this is what helps people get into shape, but the term 'clean' is so vague, and not really relevant for vegans since they see meat, fish and eggs as 'clean' protein staples. The only not processed kind of vegan protein I can think of is beans and lentils, but they're quite carby.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:53 am 
WRETCHED

RiotSquirrrrrrrel wrote:
Thanks, coldandsleepy!

linanil wrote:
I don't want to jinx myself but I've been going to the gym for every day this past week and prior to that, I was doing some exercise daily. I am at my lowest weight in over a year so there is that :) I got a lot to lose but I think I may have broken a mental barrier I had on a certain number.

Yay, well done! I think I understand now why people enjoy exercising every day. It's kind of addictive. And I'm getting the best sleep I think I've ever had in my life? I'm out like a light as soon as my head hits the pillow.

I am generally a head hits the pillow type of person but now even moreso. I was telling my husband that the other day I went to bed with socks on (something I rarely do), but then woke up in the middle of the night to pee and wanted to take my socks off. I ended up taking one sock off and falling back asleep before I could take the other sock off. It was quite amusing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

VanillaDoe wrote:
So is it true you can change your body composition by changing what you eat? What sort of foods do you recommend for this?
I've seen the term 'clean eating' bouncing around the internet, and people saying that this is what helps people get into shape, but the term 'clean' is so vague, and not really relevant for vegans since they see meat, fish and eggs as 'clean' protein staples. The only not processed kind of vegan protein I can think of is beans and lentils, but they're quite carby.
By body composition, I meant water retention, body fat and muscle. I really do think you are what you eat.

Starchy and sweet foods promote bloating through water retention, because your body stores energy from carbohydrates as glycogen in water. This water is stored around your body. Eating fewer starchy foods lowers the available glycogen, thus lowering the amount of water needed to store it, thus reducing bloating. Glycogen is essential for brain function, so it's obviously a useful thing to have around, but having more than you need means that it's stored around your body. Having lots of readily available glycogen means that your body uses it in preference to fat, which is your body's longer-term energy stores. I meant that kind of thing.

I think "clean" eating is a very vague term, and it kind of varies depending on who is saying it. Arguable, white rice is processed because it has been de-hulled. Soya protein chunks are good, because they're filling and versatile and like 80% protein. Chickpeas are good. Nuts are awesome and there is evidence to indicate that snacking on nuts helps you lose weight. Sprouted beans make a good salad and are high in protein because how sprouting "works" (there is evidence to indicate that proteins break down into simpler forms and amino acids, which are more bioavailable/better quality for humans). Sprouting also lowers the starchiness as the plant uses that as an energy supply.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:04 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

jean wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
I got a FitBit! Mostly I got it because I want to get a more accurate measure of my TDEE, since I had just been guessing about my activity level when using the calculators. I'm pretty much on target, so that's a relief.

It's really awesome and motivating though! My daily goal is 5000 steps since I also workout everyday, but yesterday I got over 7k.

Cool. I'd love to hear more how it works out for you. And accurate TDEE measure would be helpful.

I've been using my fitbit for a few weeks now and I wanted to take the time to reply to your question.

The fitbit has been amazing. Before I had it I was trying to guess at what my TDEE was and it was driving me crazy. According to my Fitbit I was actually overestimating it a bit.

Since getting it I've upped my daily steps from about 7k a day to 10k a day, plus I do 30 to 40 minutes of yoga or running every day. This puts my TDEE at about 2400, meaning I can eat 1800 cals a day and expect to lose 1 lb a week. I love knowing for certain how much I should eat, it's reduced a lot of my anxiety around weight loss. Before I was trying to recalculate my TDEE daily.

I have the Zip, which I really like. The only thing I wish this model had is the stair tracker. Sometimes I do think that maybe the Fitbit slightly underestimates my TDEE since it doesn't count stairs or other elevation. I climb a lot of stairs every day, and sometimes go on long, uphill hikes. Other than that I am really happy with it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

Very interesting - thank you N

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:50 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've lost 3 kg this year so far & I'm now half way to my goal. My trousers feel comfy again & my legs & arms are looking more toned again. The best thing is my running times are improving now I've got less to carry around with me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:56 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Tried on my work pants that were giving me serious camel toe issues only 2 weeks ago. They now fit well. If I am down a kilo or more this Saturday then I will be upping my calories again because I won't have much more to go and I'm not really all that pushed about losing any more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:10 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

The evenings are so difficult for me. Around when I go to bed I feel like I could eat EVERYTHING. I talked to my boyfriend about it and he said it probably meant I should eat more at dinner, but I'm not sure. It doesn't really feel like hunger per sé.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:12 pm 
WRETCHED

I've lost about 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I'm not really struggling either and I continue to exercise every day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:31 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

VeganinBerlin wrote:
The evenings are so difficult for me. Around when I go to bed I feel like I could eat EVERYTHING. I talked to my boyfriend about it and he said it probably meant I should eat more at dinner, but I'm not sure. It doesn't really feel like hunger per sé.

I am the same, I'm not sure its hunger either, I eat enough at dinner anyway. I don't like to eat late either because I wake up feeling icky so I tend to have a cup of (decaf) tea or similar to help. I'm not sure if theres a reason for night hunger but it'd be interesting to know. If it wasn't for the evenings I'd do so much better with dieting :p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:31 pm 
Chard Martyr

linanil wrote:
I've lost about 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I'm not really struggling either and I continue to exercise every day.

That's awesome! Nice work!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:42 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

linanil wrote:

Incredible! High five!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:38 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Nebraskalaska wrote:
jean wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
I got a FitBit! Mostly I got it because I want to get a more accurate measure of my TDEE, since I had just been guessing about my activity level when using the calculators. I'm pretty much on target, so that's a relief.

It's really awesome and motivating though! My daily goal is 5000 steps since I also workout everyday, but yesterday I got over 7k.

Cool. I'd love to hear more how it works out for you. And accurate TDEE measure would be helpful.

I've been using my fitbit for a few weeks now and I wanted to take the time to reply to your question.

The fitbit has been amazing. Before I had it I was trying to guess at what my TDEE was and it was driving me crazy. According to my Fitbit I was actually overestimating it a bit.

Since getting it I've upped my daily steps from about 7k a day to 10k a day, plus I do 30 to 40 minutes of yoga or running every day. This puts my TDEE at about 2400, meaning I can eat 1800 cals a day and expect to lose 1 lb a week. I love knowing for certain how much I should eat, it's reduced a lot of my anxiety around weight loss. Before I was trying to recalculate my TDEE daily.

I have the Zip, which I really like. The only thing I wish this model had is the stair tracker. Sometimes I do think that maybe the Fitbit slightly underestimates my TDEE since it doesn't count stairs or other elevation. I climb a lot of stairs every day, and sometimes go on long, uphill hikes. Other than that I am really happy with it.

Does yours actually calculate your TDEE? I have the Withings Pulse and it adds calories from walking to BMR which should actually somewhat lower than TDEE since it isn't including the calories it takes to stand still, to sit, etc. I kind of think there is no way to do anything but estimate TDEE anyway, though, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

Chickpea wrote:
I've lost 3 kg this year so far & I'm now half way to my goal. My trousers feel comfy again & my legs & arms are looking more toned again. The best thing is my running times are improving now I've got less to carry around with me.

linanil wrote:
daisychain wrote:
Tried on my work pants that were giving me serious camel toe issues only 2 weeks ago. They now fit well. If I am down a kilo or more this Saturday then I will be upping my calories again because I won't have much more to go and I'm not really all that pushed about losing any more.

Fantastic guys! Well done!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:07 pm 
Chard Martyr

j-dub wrote:
I kind of think there is no way to do anything but estimate TDEE anyway, though, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

It really is always an estimate. I calculate energy needs every day as part of my job and even for people on tube feedings, it's an estimate. We just see how they tolerate that estimate and how their weight is maintained to see if we were right.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:51 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

ijustdiedinside wrote:
j-dub wrote:
I kind of think there is no way to do anything but estimate TDEE anyway, though, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

It really is always an estimate. I calculate energy needs every day as part of my job and even for people on tube feedings, it's an estimate. We just see how they tolerate that estimate and how their weight is maintained to see if we were right.

The Fitbit estimates that based on my BMI I burn about 1 calorie a minute sitting or sleeping and it includes that in my total TDEE at the end of the day. It's definitely just an approximation, but I like getting one big number at the end of the day since it's probably closer to anything I could guesstimate.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:23 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

vixki wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

I am the same, I'm not sure its hunger either, I eat enough at dinner anyway. I don't like to eat late either because I wake up feeling icky so I tend to have a cup of (decaf) tea or similar to help. I'm not sure if theres a reason for night hunger but it'd be interesting to know. If it wasn't for the evenings I'd do so much better with dieting :p

Yes, if I do end up snacking before I go to bed I have trouble falling asleep and I really don't like it. I ended up eating a carrot last night.

I hate how impatient I am about weightloss.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:03 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Stating the obvious, but calorie counting is pretty informative. Out of curiosity I logged my dinner from pf changs tonight and geeze. I know restaurant food is not exactly lean cuisine but my meal was 1200 calories and almost exceeded the daily recommended fat intake, while being pretty low in fiber, protein, and nutrients. It was really illuminating and kind of reasserts that going out is more like a treat for me. For a while it was becoming too habitual...every weekend we ate out for most meals and most weekday work lunches were from the cafeteria. Sort of relates to healthy lifestyle choices and getting the most bang (nutrient wise) for my buck.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:15 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Gulliver wrote:
couroupita wrote:
Mfp says I eat too many carbs and too few fats. I can't help it...it's just how I naturally eat! All the carbs come from whole grains and fruit and stuff. I'm not sure if I should make an effort to get closer to the recommended amounts or keep on the way I am since I feel good.

What do you mean by body composition (mass? Or muscle vs fat? My goal has only been to lose the weight I gained during school). I'm not so sure I could easily add more fats to my diet unless I cook with more oil or eat more avocados & nuts. What is the benefit?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:41 am 
WRETCHED

I thought I posted here but maybe not! I think MFP isn't geared for a vegan diet so that is why your carb percentages may be off. Having said that, I seem to be having more luck ever since I increased my fat intake. I eat some nuts and avocado and switched my fat percentages from between 10-20% to 20-30%.

If you are losing the weight as you are, I'm not sure I'd worry about it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:01 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread, but would anyone like to add me as a friend on Myfitnesspal? I think it would be helpful for me to see what other people are eating so I can get some ideas, and would encourage me to keep tracking. My username is Nuttynutnuts.

I also found this great website that tells you what your weight loss equates to in weird items! I've lost the equivalent of a human head!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:57 am 
WRETCHED

I will, I'm linanil on mfp except... I am heading out on a trip today and probably won't log again until I get back.

Things I have on a normal day:

Collard leaf wrap - veggies, hummus and/or baba ghanouj, sprouts, avocado, etc
Tortilla wrap - same as above, I've also started using tofurkey slices or baked tofu slices
Veggie juice - been doing one per day either in the morning or afternoon, 1/2 apple, 1/2 lemon (peel removed), cucumber, celery, parsley, a green
1/2 cup to 1 cup of pistachios in their shell
Lentils or beans with some veggies
Teecino with soy milk

I'm eating around 1500 calories per day right now but I'm not too worried about the exact number.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:51 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Down 0.6kg since last week. Not bad considering I'm quite hormonal and bloated.

Reply to topic  [ 3577 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 144  Next