| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:23 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

fezza wrote:
Is anyone managing to lose weight with minimal exercise? I've put on faaarr too much stress weight this year but struggling to get any of it off atm due to fatigue & dodgy joints. I can't fill up on veg atm because of IBS issues. Losing some might help my joints & would give me an emotional lift.

I'm not exercising at all except for walking around at work. My caloric intake is between 1200-1400 calories. A lot of that is through eating loads of veggies and beans to fill me up, unfortunately. Can you eat things like oatmeal with ibs? Steel cut oats has really helped fill me up and gives me energy during the day.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The past two weeks I've been really stressed and have started binge eating again. It sucks and makes me feel pretty cruddy, health wise. Do you guys have any techniques to help ward off that kind of destructive behavior?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:17 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've had the same urge to binge and am not even stressed. I've basically given myself permission to go on a sort of controlled binge on a few days, but just keep in mind that it's just for that day and it doesn't mean I've broken my diet or am giving up, and hopefully it'll fool my body into thinking I'm not dieting so in the long run the weight I eventually lose will stay off!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:48 am 
WRETCHED

couroupita - do you have any idea why? Do you think you were restricting too much? Usually if I binge, it is due to restricting too much. If it due to your stress, then maybe try to find an outlet for your stress that soothes you that isn't food?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've been really generous with myself and have pretty much no restrictions except that I don't go out to eat anymore because it was too difficult to deal with how many calories were in prepared food. I'm like 99% sure it's stress. I don't know how to relieve that stress, especially when it's super late at night and I need to be winding down. Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

I feel ya couroupita. I'm a huge stress eater myself and it can be really hard to keep in check. I do find it's a bit easier to control when I'm keeping a food diary and counting calories, because my inner perfectionist fights harder against my stress-eating desires than I do.

Obviously getting to the root of the stress and trying to fix that is the best solution, but these are my strategies for when I just can't make that happen soon enough:

Try to pick something that's relatively high-volume per calorie, but still a treat. Popcorn, pickles, kale chips, sugary breakfast cereal (eaten dry, like chips). I also tell myself I'll eat as much as I want, but only one piece at a time instead of trying to shovel it in like I usually want to.

If I want chocolate, I'll cut up a chocolate bar into as many small pieces as possible and then suck on them one at a time. That helps to make me feel like I'm eating a lot and for a long time without actually taking too much in.

Any of these still means taking in extra calories, of course, but fewer than what's in a pint of ice cream or a big bag of chips or something.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The best week I've been stress-eating, too. Which in turn stresses me even more.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I am beginning to realize that the reason I lost weight so easily last year is that I was breastfeeding a lot more. I've been eating between 1200 and 1550 cals a day and not really losing. I expect I could cut my calorie consumption to closer to the 1200 number, but am worried about impacting my milk supply and getting my body to go into starvation mode.

I have PCOS and am also consuming more fat than I perhaps should (around 60gm which is in range on Sparkpeople). I am happy with what I am eating, but I'd like to lose at least 20lbs. I'm 4'11 and 140.

Any ideas? I feel a bit stuck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:37 pm 
WRETCHED

Being that you are shorter, you will require less calories, especially as you approach your goal. Starvation mode really doesn't happen and I wouldn't expect it to happen for someone who is 4'11 at 1200 calories. You could also just try upping your activity level. Do you have a pedometer? That might help you track your activity. I use a fitbit force myself and it has helped me a lot keep myself in check when I am being low activity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:28 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

My understanding is that height doesn't really impact caloric need, it's about weight/mass. What about incorporating some weight-training as building muscle increases your TDEE (and makes you fierce)?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:17 pm 
WRETCHED

I agree it is about weight/mass but generally someone who is shorter will have less mass. I have 2 aunts that are 4'11 and they do really have to watch their eating more carefully than other people in my family and both of them incorporate weights into their workouts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:44 pm 
Semen Strong

I have always worked out a lot and done tons of weigh training but sadly ATM with L I haven't found a way to make that feasible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:34 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Juicing every morning has really helped me eat better overall. I didn't start off saying I was going to cut out anything and I went the first two weeks without any caffeine without trying or murdering anyone. I'm one of those people who doesn't really like to eat first thing in the morning anyway, but four cups of juice usually carries me all the way to lunch. And since my day starts off so low-fat/calorie and I eat a small lunch, I don't sweat over having to make dinner for Brian and I super healthy.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:02 am 
WRETCHED

I've realized that I've been undereating a little. How did I realize this? By a mini-binge yesterday. I have to say that I am so proud of myself though because normally, I'd just eat and eat and not stop eating until whatever I was eating was gone. Instead, I had a little more food than I should've and stopped. I then waited until I was hungry later and had a little snack. Today is back to normal and realize I need to not let my hunger get too ravenous.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:27 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I may be the first person ever to have lost weight on a cruise. It wasn't that much, but I was still very surprised to see that the numbers were lower.

It probably helped that the food was consistently awful and very healthy. I supplemented my diet with a lot of French fries from the buffet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:22 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
I have always worked out a lot and done tons of weigh training but sadly ATM with L I haven't found a way to make that feasible.

Toddler lifting reps! Yeah!!!

I'm sure you already do lots of that, though. I'm no help.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:25 am 
WRETCHED

Although it isn't much, I'm proud of myself today. I went to an exercise class at my gym where they run around in the gym for warmup. I was actually able to keep up with everyone else and I ran without stopping. It was only a couple minutes but it was a victory for me. The last time I attempted running was many years ago and I weighed 50 lbs less than I weigh now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:18 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I had a personal training session and a group training session last week, both for free, because they want to get me to sign up for paid sessions. It was one of my rewards for a small weight loss goal to buy a few personal training sessions, and I haven't made that small goal yet, but I decided I should jump in and certainly, if it's free, I should do it whenever it's available. The individual training session was amazing and I asked the guy for another appointment which I would pay for and he offered to give me another trial/free session. And then I was horribly, horribly sore for like four days from our first session and yet, I have been persistently (not obnoxiously) e-mailing him and texting him to try to set up a second session, so I feel very proud of myself for my persistence.

The group training session was le suck, even though the other people in the group seemed very nice and encouraging. Apparently you have to commit to more than one session a week and every Wednesday they spend half the time talking about nutrition and he gets to tell you how you don't eat right (this is at the gym where their magazine recommends you eat a gram of protein for each pound you weigh and there are ads in the workout room itself for cartons of egg whites). Thanks, but no thanks.

Tofulish, have you ever done kettlebells? My individual training session was on them, and you definitely have to get some good instruction on form and breathing before using them, but I think I'd probably get an amazing workout in like 10 minutes with them once I have a routine down - might be good for sneaking in some weights while toddler is engaged with something.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:29 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I spent two years lifting a 300 pound woman out of a wheelchair for a living, and as a result my left shoulder has this pain that comes and goes at will, like lifting things doesn't automatically make it hurt but when it gets mad, it's cease all activity. It's actually been a good six months since it's bothered me at all. Anyway, it's mad at me again so I had to skip the gym on Thursday, i'm hoping it'll feel okay tomorrow. I just do the elliptical but last Tuesday is when my shoulder started bothering me, and even the motion of the arm bar...things made it worse.

I know i've lost a couple of pounds because there's a scale at the gym, but i'm not sure how much because when I got weighed for my blood tests, I had been told to fast for 12 hours before the appointment and at the gym, it's mid-afternoon and i'm full of water and food and stuff. My short term goal is simply to comfortably fit into my size 14 pants before my one pair of size 16 pants gives out in the crotch. I'm not buying anymore size 16 pants.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:42 pm 
WRETCHED

That sucks MBM. Crossfit screwed up my left shoulder and it behaves most of the time but I have to be careful.

Ariann, that is great when you click with a trainer. I'm all in love with my trainer, she is truly awesome.

I also think kettle bells are awesome. I've been trying to do a certain amount of swings throughout the day but admittedly, I get lazy or distracted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:41 pm 
Semen Strong

I have done kettle bells and love them! My ex was a trainer, so I know my way around a weight room really well. I just can't leave L at this point and go work out and I can't make a home work out work because she no longer naps. I wish I could. And she is unwilling to go in a carrier so I can schlep 35lbs on a hike. I would be so buff if I could use her as a thirtyplus pound weight but she is not amenable! Activity is a lot easier in the spring and summer so I hope I can find some good way to get exercise with both L and my incredibly slow old dog. I am outside a lot just most of it is spent dragging my 11 year old dog who just wants to sniff things slowly and trying to capture my 2 year old.

So glad you found a great trainer!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:25 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Erg, if only he would respond to my emails, I want another session!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:07 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

What about a gym with a daycare, tofulish? I just went and toured a new gym and it had a daycare and kiddie pool and all this other fun stuff that I would've loved as a kid because my mom was a huge gym rat and her gym had nothing but a table for me to color at.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:39 pm 
Semen Strong

There are really nice daycares at gyms, but Leela really does not like being away from me - I have only ever left her with her Dad, and even then, she is generally missing me. I don't think it would work for us to leave her at a daycare. Normally the daycare people will try and calm your child a few times, but then will call you back if it seems like they really are upset (and rightfully so). A friend of mine whose son is like L is cancelling her Y membership,because she can't work out because the minute she gets changed, she has to go get her son from daycare, and I think the same would happen to us. And not all daycares are free, the Montclair Y is $5 for the first 90 minutes, so I'd be paying $5 for the 10 minutes it took for them to try and calm her and then call me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:40 am 
WRETCHED

Have you thought about getting an exercise bike? Like could you throw crayons her way and ride a bike indoors? That way you could watch her while exercising. An indoor exercise trampoline may be another option.

When I first started exercising at the beginning of this year, I'd just put a tv show on for myself and walk in place. Lately, I've been doing kettlebell swings so I'll watch tv, do 30-40 swings, rest for a few minutes, do more swings, etc.

I also did something that I haven't done in a while today, got up early to go to the gym. As part of our gym challenge, they started group workouts but the times are really not too convenient for me except 6am which means I had to get up at 5:20 to get dressed and go. I did it! And they did running during the workout. Although I was slow, I was able to do it. And then we weighed in and although they never tell us our weight, the trainer told me I was down.

And I'm also a few lbs away from 40 lbs down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 145  Next