| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:14 am 
Semen Strong

Wow lilanil, that is AMAZING! Sounds like your hard work is paying off!

An exercise bike wouldn't work, she isn't distracted by crayons etc long enough to give me time for a real workout - I had a bike for a while until she started to walk.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:27 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tofulish wrote:
An exercise bike wouldn't work, she isn't distracted by crayons etc long enough to give me time for a real workout - I had a bike for a while until she started to walk.

I find it's practically impossible to get any proper exercise when the kids are so small. I know I'm not able to do much. In the summer I go outside a lot, when my youngest is in the pushchair I can actually walk at a nice pace. During the winter I've done a lot of sitting, I do some quick exercises when I get 30 seconds standing up because I've felt so unfit lol, that doesn't do much, but it's better than nothing. Every day I put on some music to get us all dancing and moving. Other than this I resigned myself into just not being so fit until I'm not so needed all the time anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:17 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Linanil, I'm glad you're so motivated and are seeing such awesome results!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I kind of seem to have forgotten how to change my eating structure. I want to start eating 3 meals a day again because it makes it easier for me to not overeat. And I know once I'm used to it again I'll be fine. But I have such a difficult time changing to it, getting over the days it takes to re-adjust. Any advice?

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:25 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I kind of seem to have forgotten how to change my eating structure. I want to start eating 3 meals a day again because it makes it easier for me to not overeat. And I know once I'm used to it again I'll be fine. But I have such a difficult time changing to it, getting over the days it takes to re-adjust. Any advice?

VIB, I suppose the easiest and most obvious thing to do would be to prepare meals in advance- even breakfast.
For example you could do some overnight oats, or have some tofu scramble at the ready. The same with packed lunches. And for dinner, either make a huge batch and put them in containers.
An even better idea would be to make enough for two days, have half one night, and store away the rest for the next, so then you're not eating the same dinner for like 4 days. Or if you want to have the actual process of cooking for the evening (if you want a stir fry or something) just leave the collection of ingredients you'll need out on the side for when you get home.
Just prepare enough in advance an amount that will satisfy you at each meal. Or if you are a natural grazer, then make yourself meals which have a lot of variety to them like fruit salads with both fresh and dried fruits and nuts, vegetable crudites with various dips and falafel, or like different types of sushi and a seaweed salad or something to go with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:48 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganinBerlin wrote:

A friend of mine recently lost a lot of weight by putting her fork down on the table after every bite, so it took her longer to eat and she chewed more, she said it greatly helped her to not overeat so much during meals. I don't know if this would be useful for you or not, but I just wanted to share it case it would be.

Other than that I would prepare before you start eating the amount that you will allow yourself to eat. Put it in front of you or on a plate or on the table and stick to eating and finishing that if you want. What I find also helps me is to have a big glass of water about 5 minutes before I eat. I need to drink more water anyway and I can make sure this way that I don't 'eat my thirst away' if you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:20 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I think I worded that wrongly. I don't overeat at meals and I do eat three meals a day, I have a trouble to stop snacking because I used to eat 5-6 meals a day for a long time because people kept saying you needed to do it to be healthy. I found it very stressful but got used to it. Now I want to get un-used to it and it's difficult. I have trouble eating enough to keep me full until the next meal.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:51 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Why don't you continue snacking then? It'll fill that empty spot you have if you don't eat enough to keep you full.
It's totally fine to snack if that works for you! It'll stop you from having slumps in energy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:48 am 
Chip Strong

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I think I worded that wrongly. I don't overeat at meals and I do eat three meals a day, I have a trouble to stop snacking because I used to eat 5-6 meals a day for a long time because people kept saying you needed to do it to be healthy. I found it very stressful but got used to it. Now I want to get un-used to it and it's difficult. I have trouble eating enough to keep me full until the next meal.

I have found the 3 meals, no snacks plan to be useful for my compulsive overeating and emotional eating as well. But like you, I found it difficult to get in enough calories at one meal to carry me through to the next one. It can be done, but it takes practice. And it can feel like a saner way of eating. Sitting down for a proper full balanced meal 3 times per day can make you feel sort of, I don't know, like you respect and care for yourself - nurtured, I guess.

I tried if for a few weeks, very recently, but I have since abandoned the whole thing. I was following the No-S diet, there's an active forum and a book, if you care to google. The website explains it all, so there's no need to purchase the book. You would probably find the support and good tips there VeganinBerlin. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:35 pm 
Chip Strong

Tofulish, I'm 4'11" as well, and I honestly still do not know the answer to whether women of our height need to restrict calories more severely than our taller counterparts. FWIW, I entered my weight and age stats into sparkpeople as a 5'3" woman, and it did give me a higher calorie count. I have not been my 'ideal' weight of 110 since I was 23, and I'm pretty sure I ate a lot more than 1200 calories at the time .I was very active at the time though, in a way that I don't think I could duplicate now.

In 2006 I did lose over 70lbs(it took me about 18 months) and while I did count calories in addition to strength training 5 days per week, plus cardio. My memory is a bit fuzzy on this, but I think I ate somewhere between 1400 and 1800 calories to achieve this. It was bloody hard to get it off though. The last 16 lbs (146 to 130) came off effortlessly and quite quickly though. I stopped counting calories and only strength trained 5 days a week, plus incidental walking - I maintained 130 until two years ago, just by regular strength training and walking. My doctor said I was healthy and I was happy with how my body looked and I felt fit, so I never made the extra effort to lose the last 20 lbs.

I do find I need to keep track of my fat percentage, in order to lose weight in addition to counting calories. However, the first vegan nutrition books I read back in the early 90s, were the McDougall, Barnard variety, so I may have just been conditioned to believe lower fat and ultra low fat is best.

I have read several threads about the very short women and severe (or what I see as severe) calorie restriction thing on various forums, and many women swear up and down that because they are 5' or under they must eat 1200 calories or less to stay slim. If this turns out to be the case with me, and my doctor says I'm healthy once I reach 130 again then I'll be happy to stay at 130 and eat more calories. But that's just me. Or who knows, I may have it in me to get those last 20 lbs off. I admit, just for vanity reasons, it would be wonderful to be that size again. But for now I need to focus on getting off this first 45 lbs, yet again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:27 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Tofulish - I've had the same problems trying to get in good workouts with my boys around. Think they're around the same age. It's super cheesy but the only workout I can really get in w/them around is a turbojam dvd. They try to do it with me which kind of makes it easier. I think they like the high energy cheeseball music. Maybe you could find something similar, that she might dig, and wear some wrist/ankle weights?

I just think that it can be super hard to find a consistent routine that works with little ones. I'm hoping it becomes much easier for all of us as they approach school age.

It's good to read this thread. I'm excited to try to lose weight after I have this baby. I had a really hard time after my twins which I found really depressing cause I put a lot of work in. I'm realizing lately though that so many things threw me off track.

My partner's mother has been here about 2 weeks to help watch the boys when I'm in labor. She drives me up a wall and triggers pretty much every self destructive compulsive behavior I have. I'm realizing that it was almost impossible for me to overcome the combination of living with her, drinking more than normal to cope with the living situation, working a night shift/barely getting any sleep & not really being able to work out effectively with 2 wee ones.

I was really worried for awhile that I might fall back into those bad habits but the past 2 weeks have made me realize that I was just coping (poorly) the only way I could at the time. It's so encouraging to realize that I already have much healthier strategies in place and much less uncontrollable stress in my life.

Looking forward to finding inspiration in here just as soon as I adjust to this new little one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:52 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

jean wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

I have found the 3 meals, no snacks plan to be useful for my compulsive overeating and emotional eating as well. But like you, I found it difficult to get in enough calories at one meal to carry me through to the next one. It can be done, but it takes practice. And it can feel like a saner way of eating. Sitting down for a proper full balanced meal 3 times per day can make you feel sort of, I don't know, like you respect and care for yourself - nurtured, I guess.

I tried if for a few weeks, very recently, but I have since abandoned the whole thing. I was following the No-S diet, there's an active forum and a book, if you care to google. The website explains it all, so there's no need to purchase the book. You would probably find the support and good tips there VeganinBerlin. :)

I, too, am starting back with a 3 meals, no snacks structure. Like you, I find this really helps me with the compulsive/emotional eating. I've been floundering lately, however, I found it very helpful for me once I got into the rhythm. I'm still having a problem with the after-dinner snacking, so I'm planning on having dinner later in the evening to try and break that habit. I find that limiting food to 3 meals a day gives me just enough structure so that I don't feel the need to rebel. (Plus I get to daydream about what delicious meal I'm going to make from IDI tonight.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:55 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

jean wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:

Thank you. This looks helpful.

Can I ask why you stopped? Because it's difficult to eat three big meals for you, too?

ashley wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:11 am 
Chip Strong

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Can I ask why you stopped? Because it's difficult to eat three big meals for you, too?

Yes. I had shitstorm of physical and mental health problems all converge at once, that got in the way of cooking/assembling proper meals for myself. Eating what I could when I could became sort of more important.

I may try it again though, as I found it worked for me, for the same reasons fenice mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:07 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks to everyone sharing in this thread. I have been lurking but not adding to the discussion lately.

I have realized that I have to do some kind of tracking of my calories or points or whatever in order not to gain...this after not tracking or weighing for several months and gaining 15 pounds. I know this is not true for everyone, but it is for me.

I'm focused on getting back to a healthy weight for me while still eating healthy balanced meals now that I'm a role model as a parent. It's hard, but weekly planning and batch cooking have helped and I've stuck with my plan for three weeks. Also exercise has been easier now that I'm not completely snowed in anymore.

Anyway, I find everyone here inspiring. Thanks for your thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:34 pm 
Semen Strong

I'm down 10lbs! Yay! The best work out I can come up with for me and L, is going on long stroller walks (which are incredibly slow because I am going at her pace and the dogs!) and chasing her around our living room. Both superfun but not really a work out! As it gets warmer, it is just a lot easier just to go out and move,so I am grateful for that.

Bnut, I feel the same way! I need to track calories and portion sizes because otherwise I am just not mindful. I am constantly surprised by how many calories are in things and tracking helps me get back on course.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:23 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Permission to whine? I don't really need advice, I just want to complain.

So, I know my metabolism has slowed down. I know that exercising two times a week (not including dog walks) isn't enough to drop a ton of weight. I don't have unrealistic expectations, when it gets warmer out I can amp up my activity level a lot. So my entire first goal was to not have to buy another pair of size 16 pants. I have one pair of jeans that fit, which means the inner thighs give out kind of fast. So I was like, "Okay, I have plenty of size 14 pants that fit in varying levels (size differences between companies and all), so if I just lose not even ten pounds before I rub my jeans out if existence, I will have enough clothes to wear." Because above all, I am cheeeeeap. Especially when it comes to clothes. Yesterday, I went through all of my clothes bins and donated/tossed every pair of jeans under a size 12, because I finally convinced myself that if I get to a size ten it's o-friggin-kay to buy a few pairs of jeans. And yes, I pretty much buy all of my jeans from thrift stores anyway.

So I got out my size 14s and tried them all on because I can't remember which ones are the small ones. I had two pairs of 14s that were also destroyed by my thighs that were on the bigger side. Anyway, I have one pair that I can't even button, on pair that's low rise and doesn't fit well so it's muffin top-city and they immediately fall down even with a belt, and a pair that fits pretty well! But that pair is skin-tight in the calves and short, I think they're meant to be worn with boots. So they aren't my favorite and I wear sneakers 90% of the time. And then I have a pair of Old Navy cords and some yoga pants.

So I guess i'll be going to the thrift store today anyway! I probably shouldn't have based a goal on the lifespan of a pair of pants, but it's still annoying.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:24 pm 
WRETCHED

Congrats Tofulish!

MBM - I did that last year I think, threw out pants that I didn't expect I'd fit into anytime soon. I know you have a noble goal but I think it is more important to be comfortable right now.

I hit the 40 lbs lost mark this morning. I am happy but I have a new goal/focus. I am planning a trip in early May, the trip actually has an active focus but it isn't crazy active. Based on the itinerary, there are two hikes, one of which is up a volcano. 15 years ago or so, I went to Greece and walked up a volcano and I weighed a lot more than I do now and it was rough. I was 15 years younger though. So my goal is to try to get in the best shape I can before our trip so that I can do the hike without dying.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:57 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Linanil, you are doing such an amazing job!

My trainer said something to the effect of, "the goal of this all is to lose weight" and I said, "no, the goal of this all is to be super fit and feel awesome and when I do lose the weight, to be stronger than I was before I gained it in the first place." I'm doing awesome hitting my 10k daily steps lately, I restarted the c25k program this week, and going strong with the trainer. Today I ran around the park for three hours with the toddler and really felt great and not exhausted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:26 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I lost 12 lbs! I'm excited, I'm like half an inch from being able to fit in my old jeans that I liked. And have pretty much given up on these other jeans I bought without trying on that kind of started me wanting to lose weight because they were a size I definitely thought I fit in but then made me feel bad when I got home and they were all "haha we're never going to fit, we're so far from fitting, we don't even know what that's like on your asparagus"
fork those jeans, man.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:26 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm sure my metabolism is so messed up...I'm working out for at least half an hour every morning, walking 20-30 miles a week, and sticking to 1500 cals or less...and I still seem to be gaining, not just weight but I'm now a UK 14...the biggest I've been. I'm 5'11 and cutting down calories any further doesn't seem right, but I'm not sure I have the time to exercise more. Grr.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:41 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Yay, Fee!

Ariann, it sounds like you have a really awesome attitude, and it's great that you have more energy.

Vixki, I don't know your stats, but I exercise about as much as you do and I eat 1850 calories a day. I've been losing a pound a week consistently the last few months. I think you should actually try upping your calories, while making sure you're diligent about weighing/measuring your food for accuracy.

I really like this TDEE calculator for figuring out how many calories to eat a day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:47 pm 

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Yay, Fee!

Ariann, it sounds like you have a really awesome attitude, and it's great that you have more energy.

Vixki, I don't know your stats, but I exercise about as much as you do and I eat 1850 calories a day. I've been losing a pound a week consistently the last few months. I think you should actually try upping your calories, while making sure you're diligent about weighing/measuring your food for accuracy.

I really like this TDEE calculator for figuring out how many calories to eat a day.

Yeah I realise what I eat doesn't seem like so much - but there's so much contradiction about how many calories to eat. It seem the whole "starvation mode" thing has been debunked so upping calories seems kinda pointless. I don't really understand how eating more would help lose.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:10 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

How long have you been doing it? Maybe you just need to give it some time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:18 pm 

Its been about 5 months now and I've gained 3kg in that time which isn't much but...its in the wrong direction. I figure I must be doing something wrong somehow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145  Next