| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:45 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

vixki wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
Yay, Fee!

Ariann, it sounds like you have a really awesome attitude, and it's great that you have more energy.

Vixki, I don't know your stats, but I exercise about as much as you do and I eat 1850 calories a day. I've been losing a pound a week consistently the last few months. I think you should actually try upping your calories, while making sure you're diligent about weighing/measuring your food for accuracy.

I really like this TDEE calculator for figuring out how many calories to eat a day.

Yeah I realise what I eat doesn't seem like so much - but there's so much contradiction about how many calories to eat. It seem the whole "starvation mode" thing has been debunked so upping calories seems kinda pointless. I don't really understand how eating more would help lose.

Yeah, there is a lot of mis-information out there, which is unfortunate.

My first question is, if you could eat more, why wouldn't you? You seem frustrated that what you're doing now isn't working for you, but it's pretty clear you're not eating too much because you're already eating at a huge deficit considering how much you exercise. If you're eating at any sort of a deficit you should see weight loss, even if it's smaller than you expect.

So my next question is, are you accurately tracking your food? Is it possible you are eating much more than you think you are? I highly recommend a food scale, you will be amazed at the difference between what you think it a tablespoon and what the scale tells you is tablespoon. Other than that, high sodium intake could be the culprit.

I did the very low calorie diet, lots of exercise thing for awhile and it didn't work for me either. The scale wasn't moving so I would get frustrated and give up. Obviously since I was eating significantly less than I was burning it should work! Once I stopped guesstimating based on numbers that seemed to work for other people and started using information that my own body was providing to figure out how much I really needed to fuel my bodies basic functions and keep my weight loss consistent I started losing weight.

So another question is, how did you determine that 1500 was the right number for you?

I don't think you're in "starvation mode". I think that term is overused, but studies regarding the effects of dieting on metabolism have been linked in this thread before. Here's one of them.

All of this is to say, I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the results if you raised your caloric intake for just a few weeks to match your exercise level using the TDEE - 20% or 500 method. I mean, if you've never tried it, how will you know if it's going to work for you? The worst thing that might happen is that you will continue to not lose weight like you aren't right now. If you're eating at a true deficit and accurately tracking your food you should not gain weight, barring serious underlying health issues.

Good luck! I truly hope you succeed and find whatever is going to work for you! Whether it's eating 1300 calories or 2000.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:55 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Fee wrote:
I lost 12 lbs! I'm excited, I'm like half an inch from being able to fit in my old jeans that I liked. And have pretty much given up on these other jeans I bought without trying on that kind of started me wanting to lose weight because they were a size I definitely thought I fit in but then made me feel bad when I got home and they were all "haha we're never going to fit, we're so far from fitting, we don't even know what that's like on your asparagus"
fork those jeans, man.

This is why I get so angry about jeans, because you can't get away with not trying them on in the store. And different brands have different sizes and fdjaklfjdkalfjkadl. It's very frustrating. And no matter what the size on the label is, nothing makes me "feel" fatter than putting on pants that don't fit.

Posi end note: I feel good!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:58 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Nebraskalaska wrote:

All of this is to say, I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the results if you raised your caloric intake for just a few weeks to match your exercise level using the TDEE - 20% or 500 method. I mean, if you've never tried it, how will you know if it's going to work for you? The worst thing that might happen is that you will continue to not lose weight like you aren't right now. If you're eating at a true deficit and accurately tracking your food you should not gain weight, barring serious underlying health issues.

I agree, if what you're doing isn't working, switch it up! No method of weight loss works for everyone all the time.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

Nebraskalaska wrote:
vixki wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
Yay, Fee!

Ariann, it sounds like you have a really awesome attitude, and it's great that you have more energy.

Vixki, I don't know your stats, but I exercise about as much as you do and I eat 1850 calories a day. I've been losing a pound a week consistently the last few months. I think you should actually try upping your calories, while making sure you're diligent about weighing/measuring your food for accuracy.

I really like this TDEE calculator for figuring out how many calories to eat a day.

Yeah I realise what I eat doesn't seem like so much - but there's so much contradiction about how many calories to eat. It seem the whole "starvation mode" thing has been debunked so upping calories seems kinda pointless. I don't really understand how eating more would help lose.

Yeah, there is a lot of mis-information out there, which is unfortunate.

My first question is, if you could eat more, why wouldn't you? You seem frustrated that what you're doing now isn't working for you, but it's pretty clear you're not eating too much because you're already eating at a huge deficit considering how much you exercise. If you're eating at any sort of a deficit you should see weight loss, even if it's smaller than you expect.

So my next question is, are you accurately tracking your food? Is it possible you are eating much more than you think you are? I highly recommend a food scale, you will be amazed at the difference between what you think it a tablespoon and what the scale tells you is tablespoon. Other than that, high sodium intake could be the culprit.

I did the very low calorie diet, lots of exercise thing for awhile and it didn't work for me either. The scale wasn't moving so I would get frustrated and give up. Obviously since I was eating significantly less than I was burning it should work! Once I stopped guesstimating based on numbers that seemed to work for other people and started using information that my own body was providing to figure out how much I really needed to fuel my bodies basic functions and keep my weight loss consistent I started losing weight.

So another question is, how did you determine that 1500 was the right number for you?

I don't think you're in "starvation mode". I think that term is overused, but studies regarding the effects of dieting on metabolism have been linked in this thread before. Here's one of them.

Good luck! I truly hope you succeed and find whatever is going to work for you! Whether it's eating 1300 calories or 2000.

Thanks for this. I guess the reason I am worried to eat more is because I am scared it'll make me gain a load more weight. 1500 is the amount MFP recommended for me at a sedentary level - and I know their exercise tracker is pretty inaccurate so didn't want to include that. I'm pretty sure I'm not going over calorie wise, I weigh out everything except apple's and bananas etc and I don't eat enough of those to make a huge difference.

I will have a look at TDEE calculators and try to work from that. I remember growing up my mum would always eat like a bird so hopefully that's not something I have to do haha. I guess theres no harm in trying something different.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Fee, good job!

Vixki, what's your goal? I know a UK 14 is a smaller size than a US 14, and my 5'8' SIL who is US 14 is verging on too thin. I'd honestly double check the healthy weight ranges for your height, because I can't imagine that size is a large one for someone your height. You might want to focus more on building muscle and shifting the weight around a bit rather than losing it.

I agree that starvation mode is kind of bogus, but I also think the idea of messed up metabolisms is kind of bogus in general - cells take a certain amount of energy to run or they die, they're not getting the energy from pixie dust. 1500 still seems on the low end for someone our height, even if you were actually sedentary. But the only real way to increase your resting metabolism is to shift fat mass to bone and muscle mass, and the best way to do that is lifting weights, and pretty much the heavier the better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:51 am 
Level 7 Vegan

MyFitnessPal is infamous for making WAY low caloric recommendations. I would suggest you keep it as a tracking tool, but set your own goals. I also tend to agree with Nebraskalaska's recommendations: you might be surprised by the results of eating still at a deficit, but enough to support your activity level. For me the results on the scale were slow, but spectacular in clothes sizes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:24 am 
Nailed to the V

Ariann wrote:
Fee, good job!

Vixki, what's your goal? I know a UK 14 is a smaller size than a US 14, and my 5'8' SIL who is US 14 is verging on too thin. I'd honestly double check the healthy weight ranges for your height, because I can't imagine that size is a large one for someone your height. You might want to focus more on building muscle and shifting the weight around a bit rather than losing it.

I agree that starvation mode is kind of bogus, but I also think the idea of messed up metabolisms is kind of bogus in general - cells take a certain amount of energy to run or they die, they're not getting the energy from pixie dust. 1500 still seems on the low end for someone our height, even if you were actually sedentary. But the only real way to increase your resting metabolism is to shift fat mass to bone and muscle mass, and the best way to do that is lifting weights, and pretty much the heavier the better.

I think the whole shifting weight around is kinda what I'm going for...I put on all my weight in my hips and lower stomach...

I'm certainly not overweight but this time last year I was a small size ten...since getting married I've gained a lot and want to work it off. Unfortunately it's much easier to gain than to lose... My whole family are slim -my mum is my height and an 8- so I don't think I'm aiming too low.

I can't afford a gym membership at the moment but I've got some dumbbells and am working with those...and trying to follow bodyweight exercise guides. I would love to do the whole lift heavy thing because I've never been "strong" but hey I do what i can. I can finally do a push up though :p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:10 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The TDEE calculator that was just posted also tells me to eat 1600 calories a day. I just re-started going to the gym and they weight and measured me and everything and it was so horrifying. My numbers were so bad. I haven't lost any weight this year (rather I lost 7 pounds and regained 5) and I know my metabolism is crepe (I had to lower my thyroid medication because I lost too much hair and couldnt sleep and generally felt horrible, now I feel a lot better but my numbers are worse) but I hope a regular gym regime will help my metabolism, as long with losing weight. if I get to lose weight in the first place, that is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:11 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Hey, thread! I've decided to do a salt-included version of Eat to Live for the next 3ish months and then do a better job about not eat junk after that. Winter and SAD have not been kind and I've gained back a bunch of weight that I lost last year... while I'm still down from where I was last year at this time, I feel like I need a serious kick-start to get back on track.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

vixki wrote:
I think the whole shifting weight around is kinda what I'm going for...I put on all my weight in my hips and lower stomach...

I'm certainly not overweight but this time last year I was a small size ten...since getting married I've gained a lot and want to work it off. Unfortunately it's much easier to gain than to lose... My whole family are slim -my mum is my height and an 8- so I don't think I'm aiming too low.

I can't afford a gym membership at the moment but I've got some dumbbells and am working with those...and trying to follow bodyweight exercise guides. I would love to do the whole lift heavy thing because I've never been "strong" but hey I do what i can. I can finally do a push up though :p

Yeah, I can definitely say a) lifting heavy is AMAZING for your self-esteem! and for moving weight around in a positive direction and b) that there is so much variation in the way weight looks and feels on people, that even though the guidelines are not bad guidelines, they're still just guidelines. For me, I think the long-term issue will be figuring out how much caloric reduction I can live with balanced with a weight I want to achieve. If I ever get to my goal size 8, will I be able to maintain it comfortably, or will I be happy enough at a 10 and eating a bit more, or will I be even happier at a 12 (and I do already have a whole closet full of pre-pregnancy size 12s that I really miss wearing after all)? We shall see what that looks like when I get there.

On my end, I'm in a 16 now! And so forking happy! All day long I keep getting up to look at myself in my office mirror and check out how skinny I am :) And since I've been working out pretty ridiculously hard the past three weeks, I feel like there's some serious shifting going on even though I've only lost 3 more pounds. And even though I am, still, seriously 60-odd pounds from where I'd like to be and 50 pounds even from a BMI of 25, people are telling me based on my appearance that I can stop losing weight now, so I guess that just goes to show the difference in the way people carry weight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:45 pm 
Semen Strong

That is awesome Ariann! I used to love lifting, and agree that I loved my body so much when I was very toned - my favorite compliments were when people would say how "diesel" I looked or think I was a trainer. So glad its working well for you! Hiring a trainer makes a huge difference, I find - you really maximize your results for the effort put in with someone guiding you so that you're not "cheating" on your workout. When I worked out with my trainer/partner, it was amazing how fast I got really cut. You're making me nostalgic for my gym rat days! I tried doing sit-ups at home, and Leela crawled up my t-shirt and managed to get her legs stuck out of the neckhole :) Not the same at all!

I saw a health counselor for some help with figuring out what I should be eating, and she helped me tweak my diet and I've been losing steadily and just have another 15lbs or so to go. I have a ton of energy, feel great and my size 6 jeans are getting loose again! Yay spring!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:54 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Welp, Ive lost over 20lbs in the past month. The sadness diet works forking wonders!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:16 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Aww, the sadness diet is no good!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:49 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish, it sounds like you're doing great even without the exercise, hopefully the day will come soon when you won't have a shirt monster attacking you mid-crunch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:27 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Hooray! I did my bi-monthly weigh in this morning and I've lost 10 pounds so far! And I am now officially in the "normal" BMI category.

I also had a great NSV yesterday! My yoga instructor (who I'm friends with) told me my arms were looking awesome and toned.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Hooray for normal!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:48 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so happy to be losing weight, and I am just so grateful for the help in tweaking my diet. Having PCOS means that it has been so hard losing anything, so to see an improvement in a limited time and feeling so much better.

I am doing the 30 day plank challenge. Its easy to find a few minutes, and I'm hoping that maybe if I do exercise in small increments I can get some movement in. Do You Yoga has a 30 day yoga challenge where all the sessions are 20 mins or under. http://www.doyouyoga.com/challenge/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:51 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I reached my goal weight yesterday and today's the first day I get to eat maintenance calories instead of deficit. I celebrated by using two tablespoons of soy creamer in my coffee this morning instead of one. Livin large.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:01 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Way to go Fee! Enjoy all those extra maintenance calories!

Today's NSV: I bought a pair of shorts in a size 8! I haven't been able to buy a single digit size in any brand for at least 5 years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:46 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't know if it my thyroid issues or if I'm still eating too much but I still haven't lost anything this year. It's very frustrating.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:28 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Congrats fee and nebraskalaska! Maintenance is a distance dream that I'm trying to plan for right now. Also dreaming of smaller pants.

I'm down 12 pounds which I'm really happy about. I think the new routines I've put in place to help with portion control are sustainable for the long term. I don't know what I would do without Fatfreevegankitchen. Her recipes are so good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I forgot to weigh in this weekend and I am far to lazy to power up the wii fit on a work morning so I will have to wait until next weekend to check. Since the evenings are a bit longer I've been getting in a longer walk in the evenings now so I should be fine. I am struggling with massive cravings for salty food though so I am going to swap from my normal porridge breakfast to something savoury instead since my strongest craving starts at 9am. Seriously, all last week I ended up eating doritos on the way to work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:51 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I wish my life had more consistency to it - I feel like I would be so much better at being consistent in my diet and exercise if everything else would just stop moving around so much. Even though I've lost 25-30 pounds since last August (not bad, really), I half-feel like I'd have to quit my job to lose the rest at this point. I had really hoped, based on my initial fast weight loss, to be around my goal at August, but since I haven't really lost anything in like three or four months, that's clearly not going to happen. It'd be nice to lose another 30 before August, though, I'd feel comfortable trying to get pregnant again at that weight, even if it's not the real goal weight, and I don't want to wait any longer on my next pregnancy.

I get weighed in on one of those fancy scales that measure fat/lean/water weight and several weeks in a row, my fat # will go down and then my water # will go up the same amount (lean holding pretty steady). I am fairly certain it's because I have been lifting so much and my muscles are doing something like storing more glycogen (although, at this point it's like I'm up 6 pounds of water - does that happen? I am 80 pounds of water! whoo!). I am definitely actually smaller because I went down another pants size (hello 16!). However, this trend is starting to freak out the nutritionist, because gaining water suddenly maybe = a heart problem. And she suggested drinking more water, but I am not capable of drinking any more water, because I'm chugging the stuff already. I've had several EKGs in my life and don't have any existing heart issues except a very mild murmur. Also, it's depressing - because if I lost 6 pounds of fat I freaking want to see that on the scale, jesus. I have a physical scheduled in a couple weeks so will bring it up then, but it's starting to peas me off/worry me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:40 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh I am sorry Ariann, that sounds discouraging. You've been doing so well - every time I see you you look great and like you've lost weight. Either way, it sounds like you have good support, and I hope that you get information and reassurance soon.

Today was unexpectedly cold, so I ended up eating All The Things. But I'm doing a plank challenge (80 seconds today!) and adding more and more pushups and I'm feeling stronger and happier. And while doing yoga, my stomach muscles, which have been protruding (diastasis recti) since I had L, popped back in place, so I no longer look pregnant. It was wild

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yes, I am like the skinniest obese person ever these days. At least I moved from the morbidly obese to regular obese category.

yay for not looking pregnant! I think I am also getting there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145  Next