| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight loss peeps - where you at?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 pm 
Chip Strong

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I don't know if it my thyroid issues or if I'm still eating too much but I still haven't lost anything this year. It's very frustrating.

I haven't lost a darn thing either. In my case though, I'm still overeating. I'm working out, but I just cant stop filling the old pie-hole. I'm just going to keep increasing my workouts and see let the flab land where it may.

I'm sorry if this comes across as self-shaming, it really isn't. I have zero negative judgement of rounded people and immense compassion for myself, this is just my way of expressing that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:19 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I think maybe I'm underestimating how much I'm eating. I'm counting calories but sometimes I'm eyeballing things or I have to guess since I don't know the calorie content.

The only time I ever lost weight was when I was eating 1000 calories or less, and now I wonder if I didnt actually end up eating 1200-1300 calories back then....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:00 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

VIB, why are you trying to lose weight? I have the idea that you are not overweight, so restricting your calories so severely if it isn't necessary for you to lose weight seems unwise.

Maybe getting into doing some kind of physical activity would help you feel a bit more comfortable in your skin. Are there any recreational sports leagues in your area, or fun things like climbing gyms? I know I feel much more positive about my body when I focus on training it to do a thing than when I worry about a number on a scale.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:42 am 
Semen Strong

Hey ViB and Jean, I was in the same situation, earlier this year. I was eating healthy and counting calories and not losing anything. So I worked with a professional to figure out how to change up my diet at the beginning of March and lost about 10lbs in that time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:13 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm very overweight actually, I'm clinically obese. I go to the gym several times a week, I try to ride my bike or walk to places most days. I was bulimic for 8 years and gained a lot of weight in recovery (I was never underweight to begin with). I have problems with my liver which, according to my doctors, will go away when I lose weight again. I'm in the dumb situation where I need to lose weight but also mustn't relapse. I always had a hard time losing weight and was overweight most of my life, despite always doing sports several 4-7 times a week as a teenager. I do have hypothyroidism, it's low at the moment because if I increase the hormones I take, I have horrible side effects. So yes, I have a testes super low metabolism of 1500 or so and eating the way I do now doesn't work. As I also had exercise bulimia for some time I'd rather not put more focus on working out, I'm just trying to get my 3-4 days a week of working in.

I'm not sure if mentioning eating disorders is ok, I re-read the rules but couldn't find anything. Sorry if I did it wrong!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:57 am 
Semen Strong

ViB, that sounds really frustrating, and I am wondering if you are getting any medical support for losing weight, especially with your liver and thyroid issues and managing your relapse risk, it seems like you have some pretty big challenges.

I have PCOS, and at different times have not been able to lose weight, even while during cleanses or extremely restricted diets. But working with a professional has been so helpful. I feel like medical issues are so frustrating when they are tied in to weight loss, because as you say, you need to lose weight to make them go away, but they make losing weight so hard, even though you are doing everything "right." And I feel like getting advice in that situation might be beyond the scope of a layperson - it certainly was for me.

Also, I thought this was a useful resource on when to ignore your scale. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/mot ... sp?id=1951

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm not getting any medical support for losing weight. I don't know who that would be. I don't feel my doctor knows much about weight loss issues besides "eat less = lose weight". Do you mean a doctor or a dietician or...? I've had very bad experiences with dietitians so I'd rather avoid that, if possible. Are they helping you by giving you medication or making changes to your diet?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:28 pm 
Semen Strong

Mine helps me make changes to my diet and add useful supplements (she is pretty woo, but I am down with that). I feel like there is so much information out there, that I couldn't negotiate it on my own. She is a health counselor and I really like her, and I believe Ariann is having success working with an RD. Mine helped me fine tune what I could eat and got some tests for deficiencies (I had low B-12 for example) , so that was useful. I was shocked at how fast the weight came off once I started eliminating a few things and I am now fitting in my size 4 jeans again. It was kind of crazy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:39 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

ViB, it's fine to mention that you're in recovery. <3

Tofulish, what supplements did she recommend for you? I'm not into full on hippie and wouldn't do any weird shiitake, but if there are basic supplements that helped you i'd love to know. The only ones I ever hear about in relation to weight loss are green tea and coffee pills.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:59 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm curious about the supplements too, and about what things you've eliminated!

I weighed myself for the first time in a long time, and whoa. Turns out giving in to every food craving you have while not really exercising makes that number high and your pants not fit! Weird. I also just got bloodwork done and am expecting it to be similar to last time- low D and slightly too high triglycerides- so I really need to take my nutrition and physical activity more seriously.

I'm really, really happy the weather is getting warmer, because it makes me want to eat a lot of salads and spend more time outside walking. I can't decide if I want to start using MFP again, because I know it works but the counting can make me a bit crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:22 pm 
Semen Strong

Well, she says everything is bio-individual, so I don't know if what works for me would work for others. Plus she's helping me work on reducing my asthma triggers, so some of the supplements are for those issues.

For the food, she basically has me eating low on the glycemic index and lists foods not to eat and what I can sub them with - so no potatoes or sweet potatoes but taro and celeriac are okay, no white rice or white flour (but whole wheat is fine as is brown rice and chickpea flour and spelt etc) and no sugar or any other sweeteners. She had me cut out tofu, which I was eating at least once a day - but fermented soy is okay, so tempeh is my new best friend as is seitan. She also picked up on some of my known food intolerances (like apples - which I still ate) and asked me to avoid sesame, cashews and peanuts (but other nuts are fine - so I sub with walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds and hazelnuts). A lot of that is stuff that I had read was good to avoid, but honestly, there is so much information that its hard to figure out what you can eat/replace stuff with.

For the supplements - for PCOS its Maca, primrose oil plus lemongrass tea (and lemongrass oil topically). And she suggested Ocotea oil by YL (which is used to treat gestational diabetes, because PCOS is often found in people who are pre-diabetic). For asthma its really just chlorella, at the moment. All stuff you can get at Whole Foods (which is pretty woo). And she had me add a B-12 supplement.

The lemongrass was amazing once I put it on my pelvis. It was the only one where I was like "Holy crepe I can feel that work." Another weird thing is that I have had these dark spots on my tongue which my acupuncturist says are liver issues, and even after 18 months of treatment they never went away, but after 3 weeks of eating under her guidance are gone. Oh, and my milk had dried up and she just had me juice carrots and it came back, which was amazing.

She also helped me establish a five minute meditation practice, that was useful.

Honestly, I can recommend seeing her - she does skype consults (I did my consult over skype and it was great) and its $150 for a 90 minute session, with rechecks every month for three months and unlimited email support. She is really very responsive and helpful. And she is vegan, so she'll never push you to eat anything that isn't vegan. A ton of my friends in the area have been to see her and we've all had really good results. Here is her FB page: https://www.facebook.com/cleanclearbody She does a free initial consult to explain what she does and how she can help you, if you're interested.

I'm just going to say that PCOS has really been the bane of my existence for the last 5 or so years, and its been amazing feeling so much better. I've had a ton of standard allopathic treatment (especially in the fertility space) and been on metformin (I lost 5 pounds total over 9 months) and other drugs, and nothing helped like this does.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:34 pm 
Chip Strong

Okay, here's my little story, a bit of over-share, but I'm posting in case anyone can relate and I find, the "whoa, I can totally relate" feeling helpful myself.

My weight gain started a few years ago, with an anti-psychotic med notorious for putting on weight. I don't suffer psychosis but my insomnia had been so out of control for so long, and I was desperate. That resulted in 17 pounds of extra padding. Then I came off Yasmin - another 6 lbs. I was strength training 5 days per week, and biking to work each day through this period. Then I started walking to work, but no change in my weight - even after 6 months. Then I fell pregnant and stopped walking to work, no more strength training, and eating everything in sight. Then I wasn't pregnant, and cue major depression, and a free for all of coping with food and isolation and booze. A few attempts at taking better of myself, but nothing that lasted for more than a few weeks at time. This lasted a year and a half. So in total I've gained 45 pounds, I already was 20 pounds overweight - but I was happy at that size.

Late last fall I started to feel much better - but then, as bad fortune would have it, I was struck with four viruses back to back. My asthma got out of control, the bc I was on caused nasty side-effects. Then to top it off, I fractured my right wrist - the splint is just off this past week, so I could not cook proper meals for myself for 2 months.

Anyway, things are much better now. In the past few weeks I've been walking or doing low impact aerobics 5 days per week. I just couldn't find a plan of eating that worked for me. But I think I have that figured out. Calorie counting makes me crazy, like really- bring out the worst of my bipolar disorder -crazy. I've decided to just examine the eating behaviors that cause weight gain for me, and eliminate or minimize those. For example, comfort eating is something I'm always going to do, and while I do eat fruit and veg, only sugar works as comfort- but instead of baked goods, which I have no self-control with, I'll have a cup of tea w/sugar or a hot chocolate. I don't care for chips, and my meals are pretty healthy, so I think this should help quite a bit. I've only just started this as my plan of eating, but it seems to be working for me, and I'm pretty sure I should start losing weight soon.

Sorry if that was long and as always with my fuzzy brain, clumsily written, and randomly punctuated - but hopefully it offered something that someone else could connect with.

Oh and a little weird thing - I was at the hospital for some tests last week and learned that I'm an inch and a bit taller than I thought. So for who knows how long I've been reporting my height as 4'11" and I"m really 5' and a bit, in my stocking feet. I think I must have been
looking at feet all those years ago, because the tech that measured me had to keep asking me too look straight ahead instead of down at the floor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:42 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Glad things are getting back on track, jean!

And thanks for sharing all that, tofulish. I'm glad it's helping! I'm fairly open to woo, at least as far as trying harmless stuff out to see if it helps. Though the thought of giving up sweet potatoes and tofu could make me cry, I'm still bookmarking that woman's fb page to keep under consideration.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:24 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I'm very overweight actually, I'm clinically obese. I go to the gym several times a week, I try to ride my bike or walk to places most days. I was bulimic for 8 years and gained a lot of weight in recovery (I was never underweight to begin with). I have problems with my liver which, according to my doctors, will go away when I lose weight again. I'm in the dumb situation where I need to lose weight but also mustn't relapse. I always had a hard time losing weight and was overweight most of my life, despite always doing sports several 4-7 times a week as a teenager. I do have hypothyroidism, it's low at the moment because if I increase the hormones I take, I have horrible side effects. So yes, I have a testes super low metabolism of 1500 or so and eating the way I do now doesn't work. As I also had exercise bulimia for some time I'd rather not put more focus on working out, I'm just trying to get my 3-4 days a week of working in.

I'm not sure if mentioning eating disorders is ok, I re-read the rules but couldn't find anything. Sorry if I did it wrong!

Sorry, my mistake. :)

Your situation sounds hard and really frustrating. I hope that you're able to find a way to be healthy inside and out. <3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:17 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Tofulish, that's a lot of stuff to change! I'm glad it worked for you. I tried evening primrose oil once because it's supposed to help with eczema, but the pills smelled and then when I burped the smell was there and it made me want to die.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:57 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quote:
Sorry, my mistake. :)

Your situation sounds hard and really frustrating. I hope that you're able to find a way to be healthy inside and out. <3

Thank you <3

Tofulish, it's great that she is helping you. I don't think it would be for me, though. I cannot stand any woo at all. I always want to know why I should do what and understand the reasons behind it. One of the problems with the different dietitians I have seen was that everyone said something else and I'd always question them. I definitely would like support but it should be stuff that I can read the research papers on when I'm unsure...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:14 am 
Semen Strong

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Tofulish, that's a lot of stuff to change! I'm glad it worked for you. I tried evening primrose oil once because it's supposed to help with eczema, but the pills smelled and then when I burped the smell was there and it made me want to die.

Well, its different for everyone - one of my friends just had her suggest 5 things to cut out, which honestly is what I was hoping for! She was really supportive, so it didn't feel like a big deal, and its worth it, to me, for the benefit, especially after years of frustration.

And I so hear you on evening primrose oil! That stuff is gross.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:29 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Update on the jeans that hate me: I put those sons a bisques on this morning. And they debatably fit. I haven't lost more weight, but I've kept up with yoga and strength training so maybe my weight shifted places. It still makes no sense that I can fit in a 4 fine in slacks and have to squeeze into a 9, but whateverrrr money not wasted.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:36 am 
Chip Strong

fork it y' all. I like cookies too much.

In all seriousness, I'm dead impressed with your weight loss successes - but I'm obsessing and it's making me depressed and squirrelly. Exercising feels good, but fixating on what I eat feels really, really awful. I think my thoughts around food are far too disordered, and doc says it's best to avoid stuff like this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:30 am 
Semen Strong

I hear you jean! And its definitely worrisome when you start to get obsessive or your thoughts get disordered. I think its useful to remember that the cookie is not the enemy and that our cravings have lots of elements - emotional, nutritional, habit, etc. So if you can think about what it is that you actually want, you can find ways to satisfy the craving in a way that works for you.

So if you really just have to have that cookie, thats fine too, and shouldn't throw you off losing weight, if you don't eat the entire box or if you find another way to compensate for it.

I missed having pancakes with my daughter, so I found a chickpea flour one that is delicious and only 140 cal for a big pancake, and I covered it with lots of fruit and it felt very decadent and yummy. Maybe we can help find you something similar for the cookies you want?

I've been really wanting chocolate (helloooooooo PMS), so I've been making a quinoa porridge, with unsweetened cacao and adding fruit to it for a little extra sweetness. I serve it warm and it ends up being so comforting, even though there is no refined sugar in it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:38 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Under 190 thank you very much! My scheduled reward is a haircut, flipping finally.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:55 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

congrats! enjoy the haircut!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:19 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Congrats, Ariann!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:59 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have recently come off fluoxetine, which my GP said lead to me gaining weight. She set me up with a card that makes going to the pool half price, so I will try and go next week. I normally walk to uni, but it has been raining constantly for the past week. Thinking of trying yoga, I have a knee that shoots out from under me if I do high-impact exercise like star jumps or running.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:21 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Way to go, Ariann!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145  Next