| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hair suddenly dry and coarse
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hey, so this is super weird, and I'm wondering if it's happened to anyone else. My hair is typically smooth, straight, and fine. As of a few weeks ago, there was one tiny section (about an inch or two at the very ends, just in one part) that was really dry and rough. I haven't gotten a trim in a while, so I figured no biggie, it's just getting a bit ragged.

A few days ago I washed my hair, and while blowdrying it I realized the entire top layer of my hair is now like this. Coarse, tangled, rough, and just totally fried. Each individual hair looks scraggly and is kind of splaying out, away from the other hairs. It's like a net of coarse hair. WHAT THE HELL.

I haven't changed anything- not diet, lifestyle, or shampoo/conditioner. I haven't heard of anyone in my town having water issues. The absolute only thing that could be considered new in my routine is a dry shampoo (Drybar Detox dry shampoo) that I started using about a month ago, every once in a while. But this seriously seems to have happened with one shower.

Someone please tell me my regular hair will come back! It's really odd and a little upsetting.

Post subject: Re: Hair suddenly dry and coarse
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:18 pm 
Hip Goiter

Same same same! I have been trying deep conditioning argan oil treatments but the water here is so hard (I think that's the culprit) that it's just hopeless. Let me know if you try anything that works! Do you think like an overnight coconut oil application would help?

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

No way! Did this happen really suddenly to you too?

I bought new shampoo and conditioner and a wet-2-dry flatiron (I'm avoiding my blow dryer because it's really old, and I thought maybe something happened with it?), so I'll be trying those later.

I can't really tell if it improved at all after the last washing. It was still so dry, so I slathered it in hair oil and it was WAY too much, haha. So now it's a mess. I haven't tried an overnight coconut oil treatment, but maybe I will!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Have you had a blood panel done lately? I think dry/coarse hair can be a symptom of hypothyroidism (and probably other stuff, too).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I did about a year ago, and everything was fine. Wouldn't that be a more gradual change though? My hair was mostly normal and then after one shower and blow dry it was all what the fizzle.

I do have other symptoms of hypo, so I always get my thyroid checked and it's always been fine. I am due for an annual physical though, so I'll ask again! Maybe I'll do that sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have no idea. I had thyroid cancer, but my thyroid function was normal, so I didn't have hypothyroidism symptoms (until after they removed my thyroid).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:43 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I would get that checked out. As far as your question about dry shampoo, I have been using dry shampoo regularly for about two years and it has not changed anything about my hair. I have never tried that brand.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:47 pm 
Hip Goiter

Amy how has yours been doing? I hope okay! I realized I'm 90% sure mine is mostly due to the hard water in the UK, because when I posted I had just returned from the USA, where my hair was good, and now, we just spent the last week in Malta, and my hair was good there too. But I also didn't have a hair dryer there, so I air-dried and it was still fine. So I think it's a mix of the water and poor styling technique (I don't usually fully dry it, which I know is bad for frizzy hair). OH ALSO - do you use the dry shampoo after working out or anything? When I'm home in London I work out a lot and can't wash my hair after every session. But when I was traveling I don't really work out, or at least I definitely don't sweat as much or as often, and I think that has something to do with it because leaving sweaty hair to dry with the sweat I think is also to blame for me. And also gross, sorry if tmi :)

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:25 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

i have no explanation for this, but sometimes when i wash my hair, the hair on my temples will dry with small waves/curls that are very tight and coarse (my hair is between curly and wavy). it feels and looks identical to the time i was using a flat iron in europe and didn't have the right power adapter and completely burned my bangs (lol...). what happens to me now is definitely not related to heat styling or anything because i haven't done that in years and just let my hair air dry.

i think maybe it's a water issue? or weather? it usually goes away with the next wash. i did recently learn that my area is between two water pumping station zones in my city, so maybe sometimes i get lake water and sometimes ground water? but i dunno because i don't know anything about water supply.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:13 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mine is a bit better (I think? or I'm just smoothing it out so it feels better), but not back to normal. The ends are still totally forked. I have no idea what caused it! So because I don't know what thing went wrong, I changed everything. New shampoo and conditioner, new flat iron, and I'm not using the old hair dryer or dry shampoo at all. Or the plastic headband with the little teeth I had gotten into the habit of using. Maybe it was a combination of things that caused it to dry out and/or break.

I think my hair just needs to grow out at this point. Which sucks, because some of the damage is near the root right at the front/top of my head, so that'll take a while. But what can you do.

I'm looking at what vitamins I can take to make my hair grow faster! I don't know if those work, but I'll give it a go.