| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ingrown toenail, podologist
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:51 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Podologist, podiatrist, chiropodist? Here all we have is podologist, so whatevs.

Baggy at any given time has an ingrown toenail with an infection. Almost all her toes have been affected at one time or another. We have never gotten to the point where more than antibiotic cream and soaks was needed, but now we seem to have gone beyond this. She has one that looks really bad, bleeding, oozing, and her toe is a different color. I took her to (our normally awesome GP) doctor, who basically gave us one of these
Image "ONLY PODOLOGISTS DON'T YOU DARE SHOW ME THAT TOE"
note: of course, she was unable to recommend a podologist we could go to.

So I am trying to find a podologist, with the usual funtimes of monday AM, nobody works or answers their goddamn phones, and podologist apparently equals pedicurist here and i am afraid the kid is going to get tetanus or worse. She of course is resisting because she is afraid they are going to rip her toenail off with no pain relief.
Anybody survive a visit to the foot guy or gal for an ingrown toenail? Care to share? (like hell am i googling anything related to this topic, made that mistake once, nopenopenope)

Post subject: Re: ingrown toenail, podologist
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:26 am 
WELFARIST!

My brother in law has had to have surgery for ingrown toenails, twice. He's still alive and just needs to take a couple days off work, if that helps you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:31 am 
WRETCHED

I had lots of problems with ingrown toenails when I was a teen. I eventually had part of one of my nails killed at the nailbed. That was the last of my problems. They will need to get the infection down before surgery (trust me, I had it done without doing so once, infection means that pain killer won't work).

Basically not cutting nails too close, wearing shoes that have room for your toes, etc, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:19 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

yeah, she has the preventative stuff down, we are super careful about shoes since my mother's line has foot problems, but somehow she still keeps getting them. We have made an appt for tomorrow and I don't know what they are going to do, but anything will be better than this. thanks and I'll let you know how we make out!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:30 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

When we lived in the Netherlands, my mother got certified in doing "pedicures" which were not at all cosmetic, but cutting calluses, taking care of ingrown nails, etc. Maybe it's kind of like a podologist.

It certainly came in handy when I was a teen ager and doing ballet with point shoes. I used to get the worst ingrown nails. She also had clients that would come for other issues, and my childhood was scarred by seeing what people would attempt to do to get rid of foot pain. Like putting acid on a callus. In those cases, she would just send them to a real doctor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:32 pm 
Impressive boner

My ex-husband had one and a half of his toenails removed. He said the worst part was the injection of anaesthetic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:47 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Angelina wrote:
When we lived in the Netherlands, my mother got certified in doing "pedicures" which were not at all cosmetic, but cutting calluses, taking care of ingrown nails, etc. Maybe it's kind of like a podologist.

It certainly came in handy when I was a teen ager and doing ballet with point shoes. I used to get the worst ingrown nails. She also had clients that would come for other issues, and my childhood was scarred by seeing what people would attempt to do to get rid of foot pain. Like putting acid on a callus. In those cases, she would just send them to a real doctor.

Angelina, that is great to know. My lack of knowledge even about basic mani pedi kind of processes here makes me assume the worst. The terminology makes it even more complicated. All I know is, we're going to a person with a clinic, not a salon, which seemed like a good line to draw.

So glad to know that everyone so far has survived!! Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I don't have any experience with bad feet in places that don't have podiatrists, but I have had half a toenail killed at the root to prevent repeated ingrown nails. It was so worth it. The worst part was definitely the anesthetic, which hurt like a mother hubbard. So now that toenail grows totally straight on one side and is off center. Doesn't look that terrible really. On the other side of that toe, I have to always cut way down the side at an angle to avoid it becoming ingrown. I highly recommend that as a general precautionary measure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:31 pm 
***LIES!!!***

PS my last visit to the podiatrist for an ingrown was the day my water broke before my daughter was born. The ingrown had been bugging me for days, I finally made an appointment with my GP and she sent me right away to an awesome podiatrist who just fished it out and cut it way down at an angle so I wouldn't have to deal with it for at least several weeks. That's where I learned that trick and it has prevented me from having to go back to a podiatrist in almost 4 years!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:24 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Baggy lives!
it sounds like the podologist did exactly what Ariann said- nipped off the whole side. There was some cutting and poking and packing with cotton. It did seem to involve some pain but it was all done in about 5 minutes, it was remarkable, and the people were great, place was super clean and professional. There was no anesthetic but it was all over so fast that I think it was kind of better that way. (says me, i didn't have it done). We go back on Monday for a followup!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

Ariann wrote:
I don't have any experience with bad feet in places that don't have podiatrists, but I have had half a toenail killed at the root to prevent repeated ingrown nails. It was so worth it. The worst part was definitely the anesthetic, which hurt like a mother hubbard. So now that toenail grows totally straight on one side and is off center. Doesn't look that terrible really. On the other side of that toe, I have to always cut way down the side at an angle to avoid it becoming ingrown. I highly recommend that as a general precautionary measure.

This seems really odd to me as we are always told to be careful NOT to cut down the side of toenails; they say that causes ingrown nails.

Though maybe what you're describing isn't what I'm thinking of. On the NHS website, though I did find the instructions "It’s important to cut your toenails properly (straight across, not at an angle or down the edges)." they also described partial nail avulsion, which might be what you are talking about, though I wouldn't want to try it at home!
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Ingrown-to ... ction.aspx

Also- what an eventful day for you and Baggy with scary, painful body things. I wish you a restful healing period from now on!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I frankly wish we know what causes ingrown nails, because Baggy has always had them, and we have always been super careful to not do anything that might cause them, and she still gets them anyway (on all her toes except the smallest ones)

The tech cut the right hand edge right out, up to the top right corner. The center and bottom right were the infected part, and there was a jagged edge in there that was actively cutting it (the nail broke after it was already ingrown, oh joy). By taking out that sharp edge, the irritant is gone (from what I gather, it took all of about 3 minutes, the woman was like a whirlwind). What happens when it grows back, I am not sure I want to think about.

Now the problem we're having is that Baggy has to soak it every day and wedge cotton up on the space where the nail was, and she literally pounded her fists and cried yesterday. I am starting to get a little pissed, as we have a repeated pattern here- she doesn't take care of her teeth, her body, her room, her pets, and I am the one who always gets the guilt when the doctor looks at infected gums, feet, etc and makes me feel terrible. It looks like the followup on Monday is going to be the same, since she refused to put the cotton again last night. But that is the subject of another thread....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:25 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Maybe all these painful experiences will push Baggy into learning responsibility in a way your advice and guidance can't? A messy room isn't physically painful but ingrown toenails and infected gums might inspire a person to change their ways. It's rough on you now, but the older she gets the less YOU'LL be blamed for her choices. Be strong!

I didn't even know that smaller toes could get ingrown nails. Man, that sucks.

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:10 am 
Seagull of the PPK

one can always hope. we are at the edge of drawing the line saying that if you are old enough to go out/have a romantic interest and life/pursue adult activities you need to have adult responsibilities as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:26 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

torque wrote:
one can always hope. we are at the edge of drawing the line saying that if you are old enough to go out/have a romantic interest and life/pursue adult activities you need to have adult responsibilities as well.

Ah, romantic interests may be the world's best inspiration for good hygiene! No seriously, I like this approach.

When I was young, ungrateful, and irresponsible, if I asked for some new toy or clothes my mother would often say "you don't take care of the things you have." That was a great lesson for me, and it often pops into my head when I'm hankering for something new---- am I taking care of the dishes I have? Do I take care of the clothes I have?

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:57 am 
WELFARIST!

In 2013 I had two ingrown toenails dealt with by a podiatrist. They bothered me for as long as I could remember. The nails were on my two big toes and they did the thing where they take out the sides of the nail and put acid on the base so that the sides don't grow back. Two years later, one toe is completely not ingrown, the other is ingrown a tiny bit but it doesn't really hurt or bother me. Both nails look pretty gross, but oh well.

At the time the procedure was a PITA. I had to soak my feet in epsom salt water twice a day for a really long time. So I kind of get where Baggy is coming from. But it's worthwhile doing the soaks, as I'm sure you don't want an infection in the nail bed, that sounds ouchy!

I'm SO glad that I went with the route where they put acid on the toenail bed because I probably won't have to go through it again. It sounds like that wasn't the case with Baggy so hopefully they grow back normal!

As for the cause, for me it's genetic. My mom has ingrown toenails too. Our nails are really curled, and so it's easy for them to grow into the skin.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

My podiatrist said the "cut nails straight across" advice is great for people who aren't prone to ingrown nails, but isn't so helpful for those who are, because the toe flesh is already creeping in and you've just got to make room for it to be most comfortable. If you cut way down the sides (they have a special tool for it in the office, and you can get one of your own fairly easily, although regular nail cutters work well enough although won't cut as far down) it takes months and months to grow up again to a place where it'd be uncomfortable, so you buy yourself a lot of time. It doesn't hurt at all unless you're already working on an infection there and the area is sensitive and it's very easy to do at home if there's no infection already brewing. It's not the surgery where they actually kill off the portion of the nailbed, that you obviously can't do at home.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:56 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

i get a lot of weird nail issues because all my nails are extremely curved - except for my pinky toenail and the adjacent toe (which were torn off by a pair of ill fitting skates a few times and started growing in flatter) - the profile is a perfect little semi-circle. so cute until my toes are purple and mad because my nails are poking the flesh weird! over the years i've figured out a way to cut my nails (similar to what ariann has described) that doesn't cause any problems. it's a pain in the butt and it takes me forever to do, but happy feet=happy me. i get that sometimes it sucks having to spend all this time doing boring/painful/torturous stuff to take care of your self but it does pay off - i hope baggy will realize it soon. i went through a phase like that too when i was 11/12.

a spa by my house offers nail braces to prevent ingrowns - i haven't looked into it beyond seeing their a-frame sign on the sidewalk so i don't know if it's woo or not, but i could see it working if someone has really curved nails like me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:45 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Yes! When I was like...10? For both big toes. He gave me lots of pain killing whatevers and I didn't feel a thing. Haven't needed follow up.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:45 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Ariann wrote:
My podiatrist said the "cut nails straight across" advice is great for people who aren't prone to ingrown nails, but isn't so helpful for those who are, because the toe flesh is already creeping in and you've just got to make room for it to be most comfortable. If you cut way down the sides (they have a special tool for it in the office, and you can get one of your own fairly easily, although regular nail cutters work well enough although won't cut as far down) it takes months and months to grow up again to a place where it'd be uncomfortable, so you buy yourself a lot of time. It doesn't hurt at all unless you're already working on an infection there and the area is sensitive and it's very easy to do at home if there's no infection already brewing. It's not the surgery where they actually kill off the portion of the nailbed, that you obviously can't do at home.

this makes a ridiculous amount of sense.

Spoiler: show
the lady used a scalpel. it all happened so fast that by the time either of us found our tongues, it was all over