| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food Allergies
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wanted a space to complain and commiserate about food allergies with other people. They suck!

I've known for a few years that I have a latex cross allergy - which means that I can't have banana or avocado and a few other things. This sucks, especially when it comes to smoothies, and sushi, and being vegan in general.

Yesterday I had a pretty strong reaction to quinoa, and it's not the first time - so I'm pretty sure I have to add that to the list too. It's a horrible and annoying feeling.

What are you allergic to? Tell me your tales of woe!

Post subject: Re: Food Allergies
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Almonds and raw apples. I miss apples so much every autumn when the local ones are in season! Almonds are easier to go without, but I miss semlor (a Swedish Shrove Tuesday tradition: buns filled with almond paste and whipped cream).

I'm so sorry you can't have avocados or bananas, they are both so useful!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:21 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Mushrooms and quinoa. What kind of vegan am I?!

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 am 
Huffs Nooch

Milk protein and Egg whites - which is why I had to become vegan from having been a vegetarian since 1997.
Unfortunately it is "amazing" where you find all kinds of milk products - you have to read the labels very very carefully.

The worst thing is that I have had reactions to some products which state "contains traces of milk products" as well :-/ :-(

These days the only chocolates I really dare to buy and eat without checking and doublechecking are Plamil's - and of course they're among the most expensive ones here in Sweden and hard to get :-(. And me being a chocoholic!

What I really really miss most are %good% %flavorful% vegan cheeses you can buy. I have bought and used the "Artisan Cheese Book" by Miyoko Schinner a good deal since pretty much the only vegan cheeses with enough flavor to satisfy me are the Vegusto brand and some of the violife brand - and these are also relatively hard to get and pretty expensive. Most of the others taste like "chewing on shoe soles" ...

I have found and also developed some recipes for myself but then I have to make them myself - not just being able to walk into a store and buy a sandwich with nice tasty cheese is really among the things I miss most.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:25 am 
Huffs Nooch

Goodstore here in Stockholm is a life-saver ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:29 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Ugh, so many sad allergies in here. Being allergic to "May contain traces" stuff must be so hard because there are hardly any vegan chocolate brands that produce their choc in a 100% vegan facility.

I found out late last year that I'm allergic to peppers so no chilli or paprika for me anymore. It's mainly annoying when I'm eating out which is all the freaking time because I travel all the time. I felt awful after eating the scramble from Bouldin Creek Cafe in Austin this May and it turns out that despite two different servers telling me it was pepper free there's actually paprika in it. Also it's in every damn mac and cheese everywhere (except Unity vegan kitchen in Austin) which is awful because that's my favourite food ever! And I had to stop eating those Earth Balance cheddar squares.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:46 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Soooo many - peanuts, cashews, avocado, melon*, dates. I basically can't eat raw food because I'm allergic to the main components of it. I'm also sensitive to quinoa - I can have small amounts, like Gardein stuff that has quinoa in the coating, but I can't eat a full serving of quinoa. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more.

I usually eat "may contain traces" stuff, but I've had to give up on Go Max Go bars, which was just about the saddest decision I've ever made. I had two reactions due to cross-contamination and just can't take the chance anymore. I wish they could afford to have a dedicated peanut-free section for their non-peanut bars because I really miss them since they have versions of nearly all of my old favourite candy bars (was just waiting for a knock-off Twix and Kit Kat).

I think the one that makes me saddest is avocados because I kinda grew allergic to them (allergic to peanuts since childhood so I've pretty much avoided all nuts unless I ate them by accident and realised I wasn't allergic to them), so I was able to discover how delicious they are before I had to give them up. I miss avocado maki.

*I found out just how bad this one was the hard way. I bought a salad that I thought was just chickpeas, spinach and cauliflower but turned out to have an unknown variety of melon in it. I bit into a piece of melon and immediately spit it out, but then I stupidly ate a piece of cauliflower that had been sitting around with melon juice all over it. I started to feel itchy a few minutes later, took some antihistamines and thought I'd be OK. About an hour and a half later, after having gone around the vegan festival eating all the foods, my body decided that the antihistamine wasn't good enough and that I needed to be purged of the poison. But at least I'd had a lot of water because it all came back up a lot more easily than usual.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:02 am 
Chip Strong

My main one is milk protein, which was probably a blessing in disguise as it kick started my veganism.

But I'm also intolerant to coconut - including coconut oil, which is the ingredient du jour in veganism at the moment. I can't trust buying baked goods in shops anymore because so many people put coconut in every damn thing.

I'm mildly intolerant to soya - I get a funny tummy if I drink a whole glass of soy milk or eat a bowl of soy ice cream, but luckily I can handle it in small amounts.

And aubergine/eggplant makes my mouth go numb and slightly swollen so I avoid that.

The coconut one and the soy one are the most annoying, considering they're in so many vegan foods. I am so pleased that almond milk ice cream is now available here, now just to wait for it to cheapen up...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:07 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Technically it's an intolerance, but nightshades--tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and potatoes. I don't find being vegan very difficult in our area, but being vegan AND allergic to some veggies makes eating out a nervewracking experience for me. Even some all-vegan restaurants can't accommodate me.

jojo wrote:
I found out late last year that I'm allergic to peppers so no chilli or paprika for me anymore. It's mainly annoying when I'm eating out which is all the freaking time because I travel all the time. I felt awful after eating the scramble from Bouldin Creek Cafe in Austin this May and it turns out that despite two different servers telling me it was pepper free there's actually paprika in it. Also it's in every damn mac and cheese everywhere (except Unity vegan kitchen in Austin) which is awful because that's my favourite food ever! And I had to stop eating those Earth Balance cheddar squares.

I get really annoyed that people WHO MAKE FOOD don't know that paprika is from a pepper! I have the same problem with "curry" flavored things, because servers--and some chefs!--forget that curry powder isn't its own separate spice, it's made up of a bunch of spices--including chilis.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:00 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't think it's a food allergy, but when I was omni I would get horrible sulphur burps from imitation bacon bits. I stopped eating them because I didn't really like them anyway, but the other day I got a salad from Veggie Grill with tempeh bacon and had the same reaction. It must be some commercialized smoke product, as I've used liquid smoke with no issues.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hearing/seeing that other people have reactions or intolerances to quinoa is so comforting... I was googling it and kept seeing "quinoa is not associated with food allergies" but I knew I was having a reaction and was close to telling my partner we needed to go to the ER in the middle of the night.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:39 am 
Bathes in Braggs

No allergies either, but I have an intolerance to all things delicious. Acid, heat, and excess salt. . . It's a minor condition but if we're discussing burps and whatnot, I think it fits! I'm one of those lucky geographic-tongue-havers that gets irritation when inflamed. It's a real catch-22. . . Things that taste delicious satisfy the tongue. Painful tongue does the opposite. WHAT DO.

Eat all the hummus, drink all the lemonade, and hold one's tongue in pain. Then take lots of pictures once it subsides. Whine during the entire process.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Nicole wrote:
Hearing/seeing that other people have reactions or intolerances to quinoa is so comforting... I was googling it and kept seeing "quinoa is not associated with food allergies" but I knew I was having a reaction and was close to telling my partner we needed to go to the ER in the middle of the night.

Naw, I don't think there's anything that's completely hypo-allergenic to all people. Someone somewhere will have an allergy or intolerance to anything, especially food.

And if we're talking things that just cause discomfort, I can't have regular coffee because it gives me stomach cramps and gas. I don't know what about it is the culprit - I can have decaf coffee and regularly caffeinated tea and chocolate (I mean, as far as I'm aware - I haven't noticed any issues after consuming those things).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:25 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have the quinoa thing, too. I used to be fine with it, but I've gotten super sick from it enough times now to realize I should avoid it. Gardein doesn't bother me, but I thought some gf pasta made with quinoa flour would be okay and I was very, very wrong. Ugh.

As far as foods not to be able to have go, I'm not too torn up about it. My heart breaks for all the nut and avocado allergies!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:43 am 
Naked Under Apron

Mine aren't technically allergies - I guess they would be defined as intolerance. But I get super sick, and it's really, really unpleasant. And they all have developed over time, so like rachell with the avocados, I grew to love these things and know what I'm missing. Losing mushrooms was awful, but quinoa is probably the worst. I hate, hate, hate that my body decided it wasn't okay with that, only a couple of short years after I discovered its beauty.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:59 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have issues with quinoa too - probably tmi but i have had it pass through undigested in an hour before, with much pain and suffering. i wonder if it's related to being especially sensitive to the chemical on it - saponin - that is supposed to be washed off. sometimes i will eat a bit of it, if the ratio of otherfood:quinoa is 10:1, but a whole meal of mainly quinoa is asking for trouble.

i sometimes have reactions to a few fruits - strawberry, mango, avocado, kiwi, and pineapple - and gold beets - but not bad enough to deter me from eating them, yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

postnothing- if you're sensitive to avocado and kiwi are you also allergic to latex? (I am) I mentioned to someone one time that I couldn't eat avocado and they started listing all these other things (kiwi, chestnuts, banana...) and I was like "Yes, chestnuts!?" and it turns out they're all related to latex, which I do have a mild reaction to.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have some kind of problem with walnuts. Nothing super bad, but they make my mouth and throat itch and burn, and then I get this weird bitter/metallic taste in the back of my mouth and I start coughing up phlegm. I used to just ignore it, but it's gotten more intense in the past year or so, so I try to avoid them now. Sometimes it happens with foods that don't contain any walnuts, though, and I don't know if it's a cross-contamination thing, or if there's another food triggering it.